• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Ephemeris

What do you plan on using an iPad for?
What do you plan on using your computer for?

Answering those questions should be enough to figure it out.

True. I don't have to question my iPad use, but #2 pretty much was the deciding factor. I wanted an air last year over the Pro because I wanted the mobility more than anything. Pro is more powerful, but the Air isn't a slouch; gaming would be nice, but I haven't seriously gamed on a laptop in years.

Only reason I wanted the Retina 15 is because it's the best computer we ever made :p

Would be a way harder decision if the 13 inch made it out on time. Bummer. Though my fave two things about the Retina Pro (two thunderbolts+hdmi) may not make it to that model.

Stuck on if the 512 is worth it..

[removed large pic]

That thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter is a must.

MrMephistoX

Anyone had luck finding the retina MBP at retail? Both Apple stores I visited were back ordered and didn't know when they would be resupplied. If I order online will they charge my card automatically?

Alchemy

Only reason I wanted the Retina 15 is because it's the best computer we ever made :p

iPad 64 GB for 524? How??

Employee discount?

Posting this from my 11 inch air, in the middle of setting it up with Xcode and other various applications. Its pretty snappy, screen is very bright even at half brightness. Max is almost unbearable. It does seem to be getting a tad warm on my legs though, guess I need to put on some pants...

Saw the retina MBP on sale today. If it was in stock I likely would have bought on the spot. Time to retire this windows rig I am currently typing on and relegate it to server duty eventually. (what a waste of an i5-2500k and gtx 560 ti lol)

MrMephistoX

Saw the retina MBP on sale today. If it was in stock I likely would have bought on the spot. Time to retire this windows rig I am currently typing on and relegate it to server duty eventually. (what a waste of an i5-2500k and gtx 560 ti lol)
Yeah I was so ready to buy one today guy at the Apple store even said "yeah let me grab one for you" till his manager informed him no more we're in stock. Ordered one online but will cancel if the retail stores happen to get them in. Kinda surprising that they actually got in only 12 models and the put them all on display :(

ruxtpin

Banned
Just placed my order for the base retina MBP model with the added 8 gigs of RAM upgrade. Looks to arrive in mid July sometime. Works for me, as long as they got one coming with my name on it :)

So I haven't been in this thread or anything Mac related in like two years. I just decided to pop in and say that going away from Mac was one of the shittiest decisions I've made in my purchasing life. Listen to the gurus in this thread people, they know their shit.

MrMephistoX

Just placed my order for the base retina MBP model with the added 8 gigs of RAM upgrade. Looks to arrive in mid July sometime. Works for me, as long as they got one coming with my name on it :)

Crossing my fi gers it's just an estimate and will be slightly sooner...until then I will call my local Mac store once a week lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My Best Buy had one of the base Retina MBPs on display tonight. Was really surprised, as they're usually pretty slow putting stuff on display/getting stock on time.

WOW!!!! What an absolutely incredible computer. Everything opened in an instant. The form factor - gorgeous. Just looks amazing. And it's pretty light... I don't quite understand the complaints. Any lighter and it might feel cheap, if that makes sense. It was the perfect, IMO, balance between feeling sturdy and strong while being light and portable.

The screen; WOW again. My biggest fear was it wouldn't look that great in the highest res mode (when it's not a perfect x2 resolution). I was expecting disappointment, as I need to be able to fit as much on the screen as possible, so the 1440x900 equivalent wasn't of much interest to me. My fears were put to rest. No, it wasn't quite as good at that max res equivalent... but it was still WAY better than any other computer screen I've looked at. It looked incredible.

I do wish it had a tapered edge. The MBA definitely feels better - design wise, IMO, the MBA is the most impressive looking and greatest feeling computer out there. But the amount of top-shelf hardware crammed in the new MBP is utterly amazing.

GAH... I don't know if I can resist. And I don't even need a laptop, as I have to use a provided Dell for work! Damn!

Alchemy

Hmm, Air froze up on me. Thankfully it turns on and off really fast. Also totally fine with this 11 inch monitor and keyboard. I have fairly large hands and this is easy enough to use, not sure how people think it is too small.

Hmm, Air froze up on me. Thankfully it turns on and off really fast. Also totally fine with this 11 inch monitor and keyboard. I have fairly large hands and this is easy enough to use, not sure how people think it is too small.
Yeah it's a great size. Writing this flat-out on the couch!

Jimrpg

will add my two cents too :)

LOVE the new retina macbook :) its just perfect!!! its not too much bigger than the macbook pro 13 and its the same weight. of course its heavier than the macbook air, but gaffers there's a price to pay for more grunt... if you're just browsing the web, writing a few documents then I would get an air for sure. But if you're going to be somewhat productive, either in iMovie, coding, photoshop, gaming the screen space and the extra power is worth it to go for the retina macbook. The screen is the most amazing screen I've ever seen, put a smile of my face, it was like getting a new pair of glasses, the clarity is amazing.

i got a macbook aluminium early 2009 core 2 duo, the geek bench is 2900, the new base macbook retina is 10000+ so its a huge leap in performance. Can't wait to get it as soon as there's stock... stupid apple the only thing they keep wrecking is the launch... they can make beautiful products but their launches are absolutely terrible.

oh someone tried to argue with me yesterday about macs being overpriced... sure some of apple's options are overpriced but I think their base model macbook air especially their 13" base model is very competitive. and i think i understand why its overpriced... its built to order so they have to go out of their way to build it for u, whereas they must build plenty of base models.

also walked into JB hifi (australian electronics store), a mom and dad looking at computers, they commented that the air didn't have a disc drive and they had to have one.... the steam coming out of my ears :p u can get an external drive which is a much better solution anyway!! I guess they didn't know that at the time but yeah still find it hard to believe people need to hold on to legacy technologies .... amazing... ppl still need to watch DVDs or play CDs or cassettes or think they will use it lots but in reality don't use it. security blanket!! anyways maybe they need it lots who knows... just think its usually mainstream people who are afraid of change.

TwIsTeD

Just a heads up to new & soon to be owners of the Retina MBPro if your planning on installing Windows stick with 7..... The boot camp drivers install great in 7 and while they install in 8 its buggy as hell and not yet worth it. (Weird lock-up issues in Desktop & Metro and the Boot Camp app refuses to open) I`m sure it`ll get fixed in the coming weeks but avoid if you can.

After a few hours of wanting to pull my hair up with weird lockups I installed Win 7 Ultimate and whoa...its awesome....now to get the gaming action going with these not-so-great-yet nVidia drivers

Alchemy

Yeah it's a great size. Writing this flat-out on the couch!

I've been on my couch all night playing with my Air, staring at my desktop across the room. I'm sure I'll go back to my desk shortly so i can get some gaming in, but this is a remarkably awesome couch computer. I'm going to experiment on Monday and take this to work without the power cable and see how long it lasts with light use for music and web browsing, not that I can't use my work computer. Will see how long the battery lasts for me.

Also the auto adjusting brightness is freaking me out. Makes me feel like I'm going blind.

Jimrpg

Just a heads up to new & soon to be owners of the Retina MBPro if your planning on installing Windows stick with 7..... The boot camp drivers install great in 7 and while they install in 8 its buggy as hell and not yet worth it. (Weird lock-up issues in Desktop & Metro and the Boot Camp app refuses to open) I`m sure it`ll get fixed in the coming weeks but avoid if you can.

After a few hours of wanting to pull my hair up with weird lockups I installed Win 7 Ultimate and whoa...its awesome....now to get the gaming action going with these not-so-great-yet nVidia drivers

thanks for that

btw - how do you install windows 7 without a disc drive?

by USB? or by that function where you can 'borrow' a disc drive from another mac computer? I don't really want to get an external drive just to install windows

also - what partition did you make your hard drive - I'm thinking of 50gb for the windows partition and then 200gb for the mac partition. this will probably let me have a small number of steam games on there... its a bit annoying but at least it will force me to try and finish some games.

MrMephistoX

thanks for that

by USB? or by that function where you can 'borrow' a disc drive from another mac computer? I don't really want to get an external drive just to install windows

also - what partition did you make your hard drive - I'm thinking of 50gb for the windows partition and then 200gb for the mac partition. this will probably let me have a small number of steam games on there... its a bit annoying but at least it will force me to try and finish some games.

I think Win 7 is just a box with a code these days no discs necessary.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Need to upgrade from my mid-2009 MBP for music production and playing live shows. Is there a noticeable difference between 2.6 and 2.7 GHz in the new Retina MBPs? I'm planning on future-proofing the shit out of it by going for 16GB RAM and 768GB storage but I'm not entirely sure I need that extra .1 GHz.

Ephemeris

thanks for that

Can't install Windows via Remote disc, sorry.

You can get Windows as a download; but I don't believe it comes as an iso file. But, you can use their freely accessed iso links (legit ones :p) and activate it with your key.

The Bootcamp Assistant in Lion only supports Windows 7 and up.

I'm not sure how they do it / what they recommend at the Retail store, but when I work with people I usually recommend a minimum of 20~25 gigs; but it really depends on what you want to do on the Windows side. 50 GB's could add up pretty quickly depending on your Steam Library :)

Employee discount?
oops. yeah.

Rootbeer

Banned
You can get Windows as a download; but I don't believe it comes as an iso file. But, you can use their freely accessed iso links (legit ones :p) and activate it with your key.
Do you know if those ISOs have SP1 already applied? That'd really speed the process along :)

Got a shipped notification for my R-MBP. The delivery estimate is next Weds, which is 2 days less than the earliest projection when I ordered. Good news for those with rubbish estimates.

I feel like a bit of a lush going with the top spec. SSD and ram upgrades on the 2.3 would have been ideal but I'm not surprised that option isn't there.

Rockman

I keep looking at my order date thinking its magically going to change. 4th July seems so far away =(

July 16th - 20th , for me. I'm so stupid. I should've ordered it on Monday, would've had it by now. Instead I scouted several apple stores all week and got zilch. Damn you apple, take my money!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So I haven't been in this thread or anything Mac related in like two years. I just decided to pop in and say that going away from Mac was one of the shittiest decisions I've made in my purchasing life. Listen to the gurus in this thread people, they know their shit.
I considered this recently. Glad I didn't do it - while I didn't mind switching from iPhone, switching from something I use for 9 hours a day would be a huge mistake. Ordering a MBPR tomorrow.

r1chard

Background: I need to retire my ageing 13" unibody MacBook. I extended its life with an 8G upgrade and replacing the HDD with an SDD, but the SDD seems to make it run too hot and now there's other problems. Also I can't upgrade the SDD firmware so there's a bug when it wakes from sleep sometimes.

So I went to the Apple store today and compared the 13" Air, the 15" retina MBP and the 13" MBP. The last one has basically the same display as my 13" MB, which I could bear at a pinch, but the 800px height is sometimes quite annoying.

Comparing the screen of the 13" Air and the 15" retina though. Honestly, the 15" was sharper but I really can't say it's a selling point for me. It just seems like it's a bragging point and not much else. Having said that, for AUD$2500 I can get the high-end 13" Air or the mid-level 15" retina. Except the 15" is bigger than my current laptop (though the same weight.) And it's a 1st gen. And no sane person buys a 1st gen Apple product.

So now I have the "do I buy a 1st gen Apple laptop?" dilemma...

Actually I reckon if they'd done the 13" in retina I wouldn't even be deliberating :)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still sad about no new iMac models. It was what I looked forward to.

Is it worth bumping the CPU from an i5 to an i7?

Use cases for me would be mainly general computing (web, email, word processing), light layout work (InDesign), light photoshop and occasional video capturing (screenflow). Maybe Civ 5.

JackEtc

Woke up to a scare this morning:

kKvdU.png

Credit card company called an hour later, and we said that the charge was us, and they said it would need to be "re-processed" or "re-submitted" or something like that. Hopefully that means that we don't have to re-place the order, and that the charge will go through next time Apple tries, they do say "We will continue to attempt to obtain authorization for your order for one week" in the email...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Is it worth bumping the CPU from an i5 to an i7?

Use cases for me would be mainly general computing (web, email, word processing), light layout work (InDesign), light photoshop and occasional video capturing (screenflow). Maybe Civ 5.

I doubt you'll mix the extra threads that the i7 provides, especially now that Apple and Adobe are pushing OpenCL more.

Still sad about no new iMac models. It was what I looked forward to.
My org is disappointed as well - we're on target to buy a new 27" iMac for production work and hoped they'd be included in the upgrade window. We might get the Retina MBP, but I think they'll lean towards the 'regular' model since it is easier to service/upgrade.

RBH

Need to upgrade from my mid-2009 MBP for music production and playing live shows. Is there a noticeable difference between 2.6 and 2.7 GHz in the new Retina MBPs? I'm planning on future-proofing the shit out of it by going for 16GB RAM and 768GB storage but I'm not entirely sure I need that extra .1 GHz.

No difference.

JackEtc

YES! My Macbook is preparing for shipment!

Delivery estimate is stil 25th-28th, but it sounds like I might just get it earlier. I really hope so!

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Hey guys I've been holding out for a Mac mini because it's in my price range and I was wondering anyone thinks they are sufficient in editing with final cut.

Its going to be my main computer so I might be doing some light gaming. Just wondering if anyone else uses it for their main. Comp and if I should wait it out a lil longer. Thanks guys.

Played with my neighbors Retina (base model) MB last night. I'm definitely not buying one now until the new OS comes out. Too much scroll lag on any web page with lots of pictures on it (The Verge, ESPN etc) and in the iTunes store. We installed the 1.5 gig worth of patches etc and the issue still exists regardless of video setting. The problem wasn't as pronounced using Chrome, but the problem with Chrome is that it's god-awful ugly on the screen. Hopefully they make their browser Retina-friendly soon.

Other two issues that I doubt will be fixed by a new OS is that even on the highest brightness, it crushes blacks. Tried playing Diablo 3 on it and so much detail is just gone. Final issue was one I've experienced on the iMac and most recent iPad - blotchy looking coloring on the screen, which is very noticeable on a bright background. Was semi-disappointed that a 2200 dollar laptop couldnt run Diablo 3 at a res above 30, nor could it stay at 30 all the time at native res, dipping way down at times into the teens. That's honestly the least of my concerns as I don't game on computers much at all.

As far as design goes, I love it compared to the older MBP, but it's got nothing on the weight and feel of an Air. I will say though that I missed the indicator letting you know that the computer is asleep from the older MBPs. It was nice to have since sometimes shutting the lid doesn't always sleep the computer and you end up finding a dead battery in your backpack.

I absolutely love the retina screen on my iPhone and would love to buy one of the new ret. MBPs, but seeing as I purchased an 27'' iMac back in january I just can't afford to buy another expensive computer like that.

So I'm now looking into the smaller options, namely the 13'' inch models. Would love an Air then, but I'm worried it might not suffice performance wise since it'll be used for programming/photoshop.

Some questions:
1. Is the performance difference significant enough between the old and new model 13'' MBPs to warrant a 200 euros price difference for my usage? (I'm able to get the older model for 1049eu (vs. 1249 for the new one))
2. Will I be able to plug in additional RAM myself into the new 13'' MBP version? Or did Apple remove that functionality from that model as well? I am able to do this in the older models, am I not?

It needs to be as small/lightweight as possible, because I have to travel about 3 hours a day. So I would prefer an Air over a Pro.

Edit: For my 'relax time' it needs to at least be able to have some 'study programs' running in the background while also running an MKV or Logic Pro.

Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated! :eek:)

ruxtpin

Banned
Ok - another question...

I've placed my order on the Retina Pro and now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm wondering if I should wait on a first-gen Mac product (since that seems to be running opinion) and get an upgraded Air instead. With the money I'd save, I could get a new iPad. Anyone have any thoughts about buying a first-gen Mac product? I've got a 2010 white unibody MacBook, so I'm aware that each year Apple is going to put on the next best - but I'm just wondering if I get the Retina Pro will I have something that will last 3-4 years (I was getting the 16 gigs of RAM to go along with)?

Thanks

giga

Oh man went from a 2011 MBP (2.3 i5) to a 2012 Air (1.8 i5) and it feels much faster. Lightroom doesn't lag nearly as much when processing shots. I even had an SSD in that old clunker. So much quieter too.

It's gotta be the difference between the HD 4000 and 3000.

Oh man went from a 2011 MBP (2.3 i5) to a 2012 Air (1.8 i5) and it feels much faster. Lightroom doesn't lag nearly as much when processing shots. I even had an SSD in that old clunker. So much quieter too.

It's gotta be the difference between the HD 4000 and 3000.

Would you say it's good enough to buy over a retina book? I was thinking maybe buy a MacBook air now and in 2 years buy a retina book when the technology matures. I plan to do a lot of photo editing on it so Lightroom/photoshop performance is very important.

giga

Would you say it's good enough to buy over a retina book? I was thinking maybe buy a MacBook air now and in 2 years buy a retina book when the technology matures. I plan to do a lot of photo editing on it so Lightroom/photoshop performance is very important.
Define a lot.

Lightroom moves generally very quickly with the 1.8 ghz i5 in the Air now. Going photo through photo is instantaneous. When you zoom into large raws is where you'll have to wait as the CPU crunches large 18 MP files.

Shots from my 60D (18MP) generally take about 5-6 seconds to completely load at 100% view. From my 40D (10MP), they take about 3 seconds.

So if you can live with that, then sure. Otherwise if you want to cut down on that then I'd consider going for the i7 upgrade or a mbp. That plus a USB 3.0 external should be good. (All my photos are on a usb 2.0 external. Now I can finally upgrade that pos.)

bionic77

It might just be the particular Apple store I went to (in this instance the one at the Leigh Valley Mall), but man the service I got last night sucked.

I wanted to buy a 13" MBA with 8 gigs of ram instead of the base 4. I called ahead 2 days earlier and was told that they had this model in stock. I was skeptical but whoever was on the phone assured me that they had this model in stock. So I was visiting my sister's house last night and decided to pop over to the Apple store (with my twins in tow, their first visit incidentally).

When I get there I immediately am greeted by a friendly Apple store employee, but this guy was clueless. He barely seemed to understand what I was asking for and then after checking with his supervisor tells me the only way I could get what I wanted was to get the maxed out 13" Air (which is about $2200). I told him thanks but no thanks (which is where this exchange should ended) but then he tries to convince me to buy the base model with 4 gigs of ram saying that no one will ever need more than that. I was getting a little annoyed at this point and tell him that I am expecting to use the laptop for some time and that the RAM is not upgradeable. He assures me that that much RAM is unnecessary and again tries to get me to place an order. I tell him thanks but no thanks and leave (unfortunately there were no magazine racks around to knock over because I would have considered it at this point). I go home and did what I should have done in the first place and ordered online, but I hope that my shitty experience at the Apple store was an isolated experience because I generally have had good experiences in the past, especially at the Genius Bar. That is the kind of shit I expect when I go into Best Buy and the employees try to get to buy Monster accessories an an unnecessary warranty.

Top Bottom