• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

realistically, do you think you your rMBP is mobile for you to carry it around in your bag all every day to various places?

Good God man, it's like 4 pounds. Go do some curls or something. I've been taking my normal MacBook Pro almost everywhere (school, cafes, whatever) biking around, driving around for about 2 years now. While I would love the lightness of an Air, the Pro isn't that bad at all.

realistically, do you think you your rMBP is mobile for you to carry it around in your bag all every day to various places?

That is tough to answer, but I'll do my best. Keep in mind that I am coming from a Vaio that is 3 years old with a 16.4" screen, so it wasn't exactly made to be light in fact it weighs almost 7 pounds. Compared to that the rMPB seems super light, which isn't surprising since it's 3.5 pounds lighter. I also carry it around in a PowerBag backpack that has a padded laptop pocket and 2 straps to take some of the strain off of your shoulders and back. To me, carrying around about 5 pounds in a backpack is no big deal, but I can't speak for everyone. If I was carrying it around in a shoulder bag it could also be a different story. Sorry that I couldn't give you a straight yes or no, for $2200+ hopefully you can get your hands on one to see for yourself before making a decision.

Good God man, it's like 4 pounds. Go do some curls or something. I've been taking my normal MacBook Pro almost everywhere (school, cafes, whatever) biking around, driving around for about 2 years now. While I would love the lightness of an Air, the Pro isn't that bad at all.

*looks mean at killertofu*

*takes empty soda can on desk*

*fails to squash it with one hand*

:(

Good to know though. Ive never used an air. Does the dimensions bother you? the footprint I mean!

mr stroke

13 Macbook Air just arrived. Massive difference in speed vs old 2011 Macbook Pro. SSD, plus the extra ram allow me to open up a ton of tabs and programs with no slow down. No more spinning beach ball :)

This Air surprisingly feels faster than my gaming PC with an SSD+i5. Everything is snappy and quick. Couldn't be happier. Best laptop I have ever used.

MrMephistoX

Anyone had luck finding the rMBP in stores yet? I have mine backordered and am refreshing my order status every day hoping for the shipping date to magically change to a date sooner than Jul 16th.

Alchemy

Oh noes, my Air's battery died. Too much downloading. Had to let IT fondle my work PC for an hour so I surfed around on my Air and downloaded some stuff off Google Music. With an hour of work to go.

I need something w/ usb or thunderbolt with 2 drives. I plan to use mine as storage for my camera raws. anything coming out soon?

Honestly I'm not sure. I only was looking at NAS drives that I could connect via ethernet to my wireless router since I just want something that works with Time Machine and that I can store my music collection on. If I come across anything, I'll post it here.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Has anyone built a Hackintosh? It might sound blasphemous, but I'm considering skipping the MacBook Pro Retina and going with a Hackintosh/iPad route.

I use one (dual booting with Windows 7 of course), but my hardware is about 3 years old now and I'm still just running Snow Leopard. Trickiest part is getting full graphics support as Apple isn't always up to date with the newest cards. Also, OS updates can be a pain and can break things here and there until someone patches together a fix.

I can answer some basic questions, but since you're looking at new hardware I won't be of much use there. These forums are good to start researching: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ and http://www.tonymacx86.com/index.php

Honestly I'm not sure. I only was looking at NAS drives that I could connect via ethernet to my wireless router since I just want something that works with Time Machine and that I can store my music collection on. If I come across anything, I'll post it here.

WD seems to sell a decent 4TB (2x2tb) non-nas for 550.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...m?n=thunderbolt&fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&s=topSellers

I have a very decent gaming rig I probably will barely use anymore. It would be super expensive to run it all the time as my NAS because it is so power hungry. Besides, I want my desk to open up a bit. I wonder if they sell a HDD free version.

WD seems to sell a decent 4TB (2x2tb) non-nas for 550.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...m?n=thunderbolt&fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&s=topSellers

I have a very decent gaming rig I probably will barely use anymore. It would be super expensive to run it all the time as my NAS because it is so power hungry. Besides, I want my desk to open up a bit. I wonder if they sell a HDD free version.

I've been looking at a NAS drive because I want to finally setup a wireless media server and it's compatible with the wireless backup in Time Machine.

I do most of my streaming through netflix, I don't really need something to stream to my xbox, ect. I just want something to dump my photos/video to at a high speed and not worry about losing anything at a very reasonable price/speed.

The WD Thunderbolt Duo seems to be it.

Flo_Evans

Stupid question, if you use an external disk for time machine does it take over the whole disk? Can you make a partition? And does it use 100% mirroring or compress the files.

My 1Tb internal drive is full, so I ordered a 3Tb external to move some stuff too... But wondering if I should set it up as a time machine too, or just use and old separate drive?

Stupid question, if you use an external disk for time machine does it take over the whole disk? Can you make a partition? And does it use 100% mirroring or compress the files.

My 1Tb internal drive is full, so I ordered a 3Tb external to move some stuff too... But wondering if I should set it up as a time machine too, or just use and old separate drive?

I think you can make it a separate partition if my memory serves me right. It's been over a year since i had my last mac so i may be fucking crazy.

It looks like you can partition an external drive and just select a partition to have Time Machine backup to that partition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

I do most of my streaming through netflix, I don't really need something to stream to my xbox, ect. I just want something to dump my photos/video to at a high speed and not worry about losing anything at a very reasonable price/speed.

The WD Thunderbolt Duo seems to be it.

If you're going to buy one, imo.. buy this one from Amazon.. they have the 6TB version on sale for $590.. so for $50 more than apple's price for the 4TB (and depending on where you live, no tax) you can have an extra 2 TB of storage -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W3ZXJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I didn't buy those drives personally because they use WD green power drives and apparently won't work with other kinds of hard drives (i.e. can't swap them for SSDs later, etc.)

I ended up buying the seagate goflex desktop adapter and a 3TB Seagate 7200rpm 64MB Cache hdd... I also ended up buying the goflex portable thunderbolt adapter to use with my samsung 830 256GB ssd that I pulled out of my macbook pro when i sold it.

I gutted my 500GB goflex portable drive and installed the ssd into its enclosure.. I've been using it as a time machine backup drive for my 256GB rMBP (Macbook Pro w/ Retina display).. and it's going to be hard to go back to a mechanical hard drive for backups..

Doing a 90GB time machine full restore in less than 13 minutes is an easy thing to get used to.

If you're going to buy one, imo.. buy this one from Amazon.. they have the 6TB version on sale for $590.. so for $50 more than apple's price for the 4TB (and depending on where you live, no tax) you can have an extra 2 TB of storage -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W3ZXJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I didn't buy those drives personally because they use WD green power drives and apparently won't work with other kinds of hard drives (i.e. can't swap them for SSDs later, etc.)

I ended up buying the seagate goflex desktop adapter and a 3TB Seagate 7200rpm 64MB Cache hdd... I also ended up buying the goflex portable thunderbolt adapter to use with my samsung 830 256GB ssd that I pulled out of my macbook pro when i sold it.

I gutted my 500GB goflex portable drive and installed the ssd into its enclosure.. I've been using it as a time machine backup drive for my 256GB rMBP (Macbook Pro w/ Retina display).. and it's going to be hard to go back to a mechanical hard drive for backups..

Doing a 90GB time machine full restore in less than 13 minutes is an easy thing to get used to.

I hear you. Solution doesn't quite work out for me as I need redundancy for the photography data I will also be storing. Plan is to RAID1 it.

mrkgoo

As far as I know, while it's not recommended, you can just dump files on the drive next to your time machine backups.

It neither 100% mirrors, nor compresses files.

I hear you. Solution doesn't quite work out for me as I need redundancy for the photography data I will also be storing. Plan is to RAID1 it.

yeah, if you need RAID 1 the thunderbolt duo is likely to be your best bet.

If 4TB (2TB in RAID 1) is enough, amazon has that one on sale for $518.. the savings is almost enough to pay for a thunderbolt cable ($50)

This is a noobish question, but I'll ask it anyways since I've only owned a MacBook for a little more than 24 hours. I'm going to buy a NAS drive to use with Time Machine. I'm going to partition it so that one partition is used for Time Machine backups, and the other storing my media collection (mostly music). I have a few Windows computers on my network, along with a PS3 and Xbox 360 I'd want to be able to access my media collection on as well. Will everything play fine with each other and be able to access my music fine, or will I have a problem with the difference in file systems that Mac and Windows use?

yeah, if you need RAID 1 the thunderbolt duo is likely to be your best bet.

If 4TB (2TB in RAID 1) is enough, amazon has that one on sale for $518.. the savings is almost enough to pay for a thunderbolt cable ($50)

I thought I saw thunderbolt cables on sale at mono price for 15? B&h had the 4TB version for 508.

This is a noobish question, but I'll ask it anyways since I've only owned a MacBook for a little more than 24 hours. I'm going to buy a NAS drive to use with Time Machine. I'm going to partition it so that one partition is used for Time Machine backups, and the other storing my media collection (mostly music). I have a few Windows computers on my network, along with a PS3 and Xbox 360 I'd want to be able to access my media collection on as well. Will everything play fine with each other and be able to access my music fine, or will I have a problem with the difference in file systems that Mac and Windows use?

Your MAC can't natively read NTFS. I believe there is a freeware driver for OSX.

I thought I saw thunderbolt cables on sale at mono price for 15? B&h had the 4TB version for 508.

Not that I can see..

They have mini displayport adapters that can work with thunderbolt ports for about that much.. but they don't have thunderbolt device cables for that.. the $49 apple one is the only one I know of that can be bought by itself.

Not that I can see..

They have mini displayport adapters that can work with thunderbolt ports for about that much.. but they don't have thunderbolt device cables for that.. the $49 apple one is the only one I know of that can be bought by itself.

Bah shit. Obviously over 3 years investment is worth it. Tough to swallow at the moment.

I'm looking to get my first Mac with the new MBA so I don't know shit. Why doesn't that affect file transfer from windows to macs then?

Your MAC can't natively read NTFS. I believe there is a freeware driver for OSX.

Mentioned already, but OSX reads NTFS. Also, its moot as he would probably just be copying the files over the network via SMB. NTFS would only matter if he were actually plugging in the drive to his system. File sharing over a network is not affected by that, and reading/writing is fine via SMB.

Mentioned already, but OSX reads NTFS. Also, its moot as he would probably just be copying the files over the network via SMB. NTFS would only matter if he were actually plugging in the drive to his system. File sharing over a network is not affected by that.

That would most likely be my plan. I just want to be able to do wireless Time Machine back up, and keep my media/iTunes library on a NAS drive.

Mentioned already, but OSX reads NTFS. Also, its moot as he would probably just be copying the files over the network via SMB. NTFS would only matter if he were actually plugging in the drive to his system. File sharing over a network is not affected by that, and reading/writing is fine via SMB.

That would most likely be my plan. I just want to be able to do wireless Time Machine back up, and keep my media/iTunes library on a NAS drive.

Sorry about the confusion. If I remember right I did it because I was trying to copy files over to my NTFS boot camp partition from my OSX.

Anyone else excited about dual booting W8?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm completely stupid when it comes to anything to do with networking, but the wi-fi on my Macbook Air is significantly worse than it is on any other device. There's a thread on Apple's Support Forums about this, and quite a few people suggest that it's a problem with Lion. Is there another Macbook Air owner who has had this problem and is using the Mountain Lion preview and can say whether or not it's been fixed?

Alchemy

I'm completely stupid when it comes to anything to do with networking, but the wi-fi on my Macbook Air is significantly worse than it is on any other device. There's a thread on Apple's Support Forums about this, and quite a few people suggest that it's a problem with Lion. Is there another Macbook Air owner who has had this problem and is using the Mountain Lion preview and can say whether or not it's been fixed?

How is it worse? Just slower?

Sorry about the confusion. If I remember right I did it because I was trying to copy files over to my NTFS boot camp partition from my OSX.

Anyone else excited about dual booting W8?

No worries. I appreciate all the input you guys have.

Being my first Mac, I am excited to try it out, just not sure how big of a partition I should dedicate since I have the 256 gb SSD rMPB.

Bought a new top case for my MacBook pro... And now there are stripped screws :(

Does anyone have any suggestions in how to take it out? I've tried rubber bands in between the sxrew and the screwdriver but no luck :( :(

Piggus

13 Macbook Air just arrived. Massive difference in speed vs old 2011 Macbook Pro. SSD, plus the extra ram allow me to open up a ton of tabs and programs with no slow down. No more spinning beach ball :)

This Air surprisingly feels faster than my gaming PC with an SSD+i5. Everything is snappy and quick. Couldn't be happier. Best laptop I have ever used.

Wow that's awesome. I'm considering getting one later this year.

I think my gaming rig is going to collect dust in the closet once my air arrives.

My gaming rig current uses a 5400 RPM green drive as my main HDD. Boy am I going to be in for a big surprise.

My monitor is a very old Dell 22" TN display. Are the Apple cinema displays worth the money? I don't plan to get the current one. I will likely wait for a refresh.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alrighty... I think I'm gonna look into selling my 24" Alu iMac in the next couple weeks; and then when the tax-free weekend in August comes around, I'm going to snag a MacBook Air Base upgraded to 8GB RAM. Everything I'm reading is pinning it to a surprisignly robust improvement over the 2011 model... which is great, because my ex's 2010 model is one of the best computers I've ever used.

$1240 w/ sister's student discount, tax free, plus a $100 GC.

Worst case scenerio, a retina model comes out within 12 months, and I could probably still get nearly a grand for this one... so not to much $$ lost.

I really want a RetinaBook; but $2000+ is just too rich for my blood right now.

I'm going from iMac -> laptop because I already have my gaming PC with 24" monitor. I figure I can always hook the laptop to my monitor; so I'd like to have some choice/freedom.

Yeah just finished reading the Anandtech review. Given how late it is in the cycle for the screen, I think it may be worth waiting for the refresh. Especially given I am going to probably drop 600 to get the WD thunderbolt enclosure. >.<

I bought a refurb 27" Apple LED Cinema Display for $849 + tax and shipping about a year and a half ago. I have been extremely happy with it.

I even upgraded my PC video card to one that supported mini displayport at the time (HD6970) so I could use that display for my PC as well.

It truly is the centerpiece of my desk, which at the moment is filled with apple gadgets and thunderbolt peripherals. If only apple would get a bit more serious about gaming on the computer, the day might come when I didn't feel the need to have a high-end gaming rig; but that day is not here yet.

Now that most graphics cards have a displayport output of some kind, I know that I can keep this monitor well into the future.

I bought a refurb 27" Apple LED Cinema Display for $849 + tax and shipping about a year and a half ago. I have been extremely happy with it.

I even upgraded my PC video card to one that supported mini displayport at the time (HD6970) so I could use that display for my PC as well.

It truly is the centerpiece of my desk, which at the moment is filled with apple gadgets and thunderbolt peripherals. If only apple would get a bit more serious about gaming on the computer, the day might come when I didn't feel the need to have a high-end gaming rig; but that day is not here yet.

Now that most graphics cards have a displayport output of some kind, I know that I can keep this monitor well into the future.

I don't really game on my PC anymore. I just don't have the time or money to keep up with the vicious PC upgrade cycle. Console is the way to go for me. I would use the display for photo and video editing, internet, working on school stuff, ect.

mrkgoo

Ah, I should've specified. Yeah, it's slower. It connects just fine.

I've been delving into networking a bit more, and have discovered all sorts of madness.

Seriously, the two worse things in the world are doing taxes and routers.

I'm still on an ancient ADLS1 modem router - why? Because it WORKS.

There appears to be no rhyme or reason sometimes, why there are wi-fi issues. People like to think they have it all worked out because they make one change and it's 'fixed', but there's an entire range of what can be wrong.

For example, I tried a newer Linksys ADLS2 modem router. Set it up to the best of my knowledge - making sure all the settings (which by the way, are the most cryptic things ever - VCI, VC-Mux, what?), and found it to be constantly dropping. What was the issue? Well, apparently, Apple devices don't like 40Hz channels on the single 2.4GHz band. Ok, so I switch it to 20HZ. Everyting seems fine.

Then all of a sudden, a few days later, my iPad gets excruciatingly slow. Everything else is fine. After hours of research, what is the problem? Apparently, it's not talking to the DHCP, thus assigning itself an IP not within the range for the router. But why slow? Why not stop working entirely? Why after several days? Who the Hell knows. Routers are the devil.

So what is the likely problem? Well, research showed that it was pretty common for linksys routers to do this, and it has something to do with the encryption on WPA/WPA2. More specifically, the iPad probably doesn't like the way Linksys routers do AES. TKIP would probably be fine, except the router itself doesn't have aTKIP only option, even on WPA1 (WPA2 is AES only).

So it was back to my ADSL1 router.

SO yeah, slow MacBook air?

Check:
if you're on a 2,4GHZ band that you're using 20Hz, not 40Hz.
Check that your encryption WPA2 is solid - i.e. see if you get better speeds by removing wireless security altogether nd work up from there (WEP->WPA(TKIP)->WPA2)
See if mixed modes, for example on encryption or 802.11b/g/n is causing issues - many a time, the mixed modes freak out when lots of devices use different things.
Also, check your DNS settings. I found that my older router hates having to do DNS work, and I lost a bunch of features, plus got incorrect routing when the router handled it. I've resorted to just adding my DNS straight to every device.

Top Bottom