• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Macbook Air review:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/macbook-air-review/

iJ3WSQytefHfe.png

ibwIZoOVDXEmD3.png

ibZ6oU3TUMwd2.png

Oh shit, that's pretty impressive. A good upgrade indeed.

mr stroke

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one of those 27 in Korean IPS Displays, the 27 in Apple Cinema Display, the 30 in Dell U3011, or a 120 HZ TN Monitor for Gaming

I'm leaning on getting the 27 in Apple Cinema Display, but I'm not sure if I should wait for a potential refresh. The Dell seems nice and is bigger for the same price, but I heard the AG coating messes up some of the picture. Supposedly people see sparkles. The Korean Monitors look nice for the price, but I'm not sure I want to deal with not having a company warranty. I'm also considering getting a 120 HZ Monitor, since I heard Blurring gets drastically lowered in gaming, but I'm not sure how drastic a change it is.

My current Monitor is a Launch Dell WFP2408.

Go with the Apple Cinema Display. Having 5 monitors on my desk right now(27 Apple, 3x24 Dell U24M, 13 Macbook Pro screen) the Apple Display smokes all of them. If you don't mind the high gloss its amazing. Colors pop, high res, great viewing angles, and no noticeable lag when gaming. The Dell's are nice but the AG coating really kills the pop and dulls the colors.

RangersFan

May want to try GoodReader.
this seems to be alright at getting things organized, but still too convoluted for my tastes, just creating directories, only to have to "open with" another viewer app which will then download the selected file to it's "library", but it may have to suffice.
Two free programs should do it. Calibre and iFunbox. Google them for setup instructions but they're both user friendly.
these seem ok as well on the "pc end" of things transfering to the ipad, but what app should I use on the "ipad side?" wish there was just an app like comicrack on pc, where u can just quickly add and organize all files quickly and easily. so far comicflow has been the best of the comic readers i've tried so far, but a major flaw is it has failed to read a couple of cbz files that i got icomic and cloudreaders to read.

would be nice if i could just drag and drop my comics directory to my ipad, through my computer, and then have a standard viewer app that can browse by directory as well as create attractive library archive like comicflow does.

Xun

I'm impressed as to how great Apple has made resolution independence look on OS X.

Also it's shame there's no more indicator lights on the MBP with Retina display, since I always loved the subtly of them. :(

It's strange since Ive seemed to like them.

Ovid

So in my previous posts I said I'm returning my 4GB MBA for a 8GB.

I decided to hold onto the 4GB MBA until the 13th day (Apple returns are 14 days). I heart this computer so much. Can't wait till the 8GB ships. This is seriously the best computer I've EVER purchased.

So since I picked "ship to store" I won't get to see the tracking number? I just see it in processing with the next step being "at store". It's going to be a long 9 day wait. :(

HoTHiTTeR

Walked into a Best Buy on my lunch break today; figured I'd look at the new Retina MBP... no where to be found. HOWEVER, I did get to chatting w/ some associates and as usual, people had been buying MacBooks and didn't realize there would be new ones dropping shortly. Picked up a pristine open box 13" - 5 cycles on the battery, 2.4 i5/4GB/500gb (Base MBP) $769.60. Feels like I did well - I've got 45 days to try out. Now I just need to find someone w/ Mountain Lion beta access...

Edit: No iLife on this and after google said to check app store, still no dice. Do I need to do the restore from internet option+R method to start fresh? I went through the setup initially - looked like a clean install...

Has anyone built a Hackintosh? It might sound blasphemous, but I'm considering skipping the MacBook Pro Retina and going with a Hackintosh/iPad route.

Played around with the retina MBP in a store. Maybe it was the conditions but the display didn't wow me much--looked nice but didn't make me want to take out my wallet or anything.

After bumping it up to the "1920x1200" equivalent res, it did make me want a laptop with a 1920x1200 display though.

If the MBA 13" had a 1080p display I'd buy one today.

JackEtc

Dammit dammit dammit. I woke up today to see that my Macbook was "On FedEx vehicle for delivery", a day ahead. I was super pumped, went downstairs right away, and slapped the release form on my front door. It was about 9:30.

I got in the shower, and by the time I was out of the bathroom, it was ~10:20. I check the package status again, and at 10:03 it was updated to "Delivery Exception: Customer not available or business closed" I had the release slip right on my front door! I'm pretty pissed about that. Now I have to wait until tomorrow.

You cannot possibly have good enough eyes for 1080p on a 13" screen.

Anand was fine with 1080p on a 11.6" screen, and he said that at 13" (admittedly 13.3" in the review) 1080p should be a very good fit. I trust him more than any other reviewer, been following him for many years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5843/asus-zenbook-prime-ux21a-review/4

I've never had trouble with vision, so I don't see why his conclusions wouldn't apply to me. And the extra space (after using 1440x900 for so long) is very desirable to me.

Anand was fine with 1080p on a 11.6" screen, and he said that at 13" (admittedly 13.3" in the review) 1080p should be a very good fit. I trust him more than any other reviewer, been following him for many years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5843/asus-zenbook-prime-ux21a-review/4

I've never had trouble with vision, so I don't see why his conclusions wouldn't apply to me. And the extra space (after using 1440x900 for so long) is very desirable to me.

From the review: "ASUS' solution is to ship the UX21 with Windows set to 125% DPI scaling by default, unfortunately most applications (including many of Microsoft's own) don't deal with non-integer DPI scaling very well."

Yup, so essentially it's about sub 1680 with some added AA.

From the review: "ASUS' solution is to ship the UX21 with Windows set to 125% DPI scaling by default, unfortunately most applications (including many of Microsoft's own) don't deal with non-integer DPI scaling very well."

Yup, so essentially it's about sub 1680 with some added AA.

That's also 11.6", not 13".

So in my previous posts I said I'm returning my 4GB MBA for a 8GB.

I decided to hold onto the 4GB MBA until the 13th day (Apple returns are 14 days). I heart this computer so much. Can't wait till the 8GB ships. This is seriously the best computer I've EVER purchased.

Are you noticing problems with just the 4 gig?

Alchemy

Are you noticing problems with just the 4 gig?

I only have 4GB and it runs just fine, though I haven't really pushed it yet. Most I have done was a few Chrome tabs and iTunes all at once and it didn't break a sweat. Only time I've seen the spinning ball of doom was when Mail was first syncing a few thousand emails off the web.

I keep getting tempted to install Diablo 3 on this and give it a run, but I also know I have no need for it since I'll stick to my desktop for that. I'll try to get photoshop on this thing at some point and give it a good push.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Because I have good eyes and I can be more efficient when I work if I can fit more stuff on the screen at once. Pretty standard reason.
If the resolution is higher then more things fit on the screen but they are smaller.

If you have bad eyes you don't want smaller things.

Does not compute.

Alchemy

So I've been using my Air at work as a secondary computer, running iTunes all day and the occasional email/browse if my work machine gets bogged down. Occasionally peaking into the App store or googling OS X software to get more familiar with the OS. Battery lasted me all day yesterday with an estimate of an hour left when I got home and popped it open on my couch.

Over 8 hours of use. Allow the screen to auto shut off (iTunes keeps going), and sleep the machine by closing the lid when leaving my desk.

So I've been using my Air at work as a secondary computer, running iTunes all day and the occasional email/browse if my work machine gets bogged down. Occasionally peaking into the App store or googling OS X software to get more familiar with the OS. Battery lasted me all day yesterday with an estimate of an hour left when I got home and popped it open on my couch.

Over 8 hours of use. Allow the screen to auto shut off (iTunes keeps going), and sleep the machine by closing the lid when leaving my desk.

yup, sounds like you bought a Mac. Congrats :)

noah111

Still Alive
Speaking of battery life, can anyone attest to the new sleep feature in Mountain Lion and how well it handles things? My MBP can't go 3-4 hours downloading things with the display asleep (and on batt, obviously).

Speaking of battery life, can anyone attest to the new sleep feature in Mountain Lion and how well it handles things? My MBP can't go 3-4 hours downloading things with the display asleep (and on batt, obviously).

What do you want to know, little face?

How the battery life holds up? No difference.
If it works well? Yes it does.

This is how you turn it on:
powernap.png

Alchemy

Probably not using Power Nap here, usually update things before I'm done with my computer for the night. I'm all about maximizing battery life, even if this isn't a big drain it will be something of a drain for a feature I don't really need.

Probably not using Power Nap here, usually update things before I'm done with my computer for the night. I'm all about maximizing battery life, even if this isn't a big drain it will be something of a drain for a feature I don't really need.

I honestly don't understand why it's here either, but hey.

Also, you don't leave your computer charging overnight? :)

btkadams

to any thunderbolt experts:

would i still be reaping the benefits of thunderbolt speeds (with regards to the one thunderbolt external hard drive) if i had all of this plugged into one thunderbolt port?
- 2 active USB 2.0 hard drives
- 1 active thunderbolt external hard drive
- 2 apple thunderbolt displays
- ethernet

if it makes a difference, this would be an early 2011 macbook pro (which supports 2 thunderbolt displays). i know this is overkill. i'm definitely getting 1 thunderbolt display this summer and i am curious to know how much 1 or 2 of them affects the speeds of other devices.

would the ethernet speed be affected too? i currently have like a 30mbpsDL connection.

I hope someone here can give me some feedback. I hope you can help me look at things objectively. I'm at a crossroad to purchase a new computer. A laptop.

The basic feature set that I am looking for;

1) The best combination of power(Speed while browsing with 30 youtube tabs simultaniously, smooth gaming, snappyness in general), with mobility (light enough to carry around in your back, to hold with one hand without wrist falling) and battery life (enough to last you for the majority of your day without being addicted to an outlet constantly. Would say, 5+ hours.)

2) The best keyboard (especially keyboard!) and trackpad available, with backlighting (I'm a heavy dosed nightowl, writing in the darkness!). I'm a 2 meter tall man with large hands. I have a wide wing span and like island style keys with a lot of travel. I can easily write up towards 10-20k a day on a computer. Strangely, not a fan of thinkpads. But I like travel. I like I can press a key down with hard springs. It makes it feel responsive. My feelings have always been that Sony and Apple are the masters of these island-style keys.

3) A good clear screen reading. Besides physically going to community college, I'm taking e-courses online over the next semesters, which means im going to be doing a ton of assignment reading. So a very easy-and-comfortable-to-read screen.

4) Something that will last a very long time. Last thing I had was a Atom Netbook. While cute, it annoyed me after having it a week. It was impossible to browse online effectively. Before that it was a 700 dollars Samsung - While great, slick and decent, not a lot of productivity happened due to it's limited battery (1,5 hour battery realistically) - poor performance in GPU settings meant no fun. Before that it was a 6 pound 15 laptop with 30 minutes of battery life. completely immobile. I regretted it immensely. I had the fucked 8600m GT.
I understand that laptops age quickly. However, I am looking for something that will work for years to come. My Iphone 4s is amazing, and I dont want to change that with anything better for the next 2-3 years. Its camera, recording and feature set is so impressive that I cant even master what I have now. It's literally more than I can chew. So I want a Laptop regardless of cost that will help me through university. I am afraid that getting a entry ultrabook with ivy bridge will piss me off after a year.)

5) I owned a iMac early 2008 model. It had a normal 1 TB HDD. While it was pretty fast for a HDD it got tiresome to boot camp often. Realistically I'm not going to use so much time on gaming, but I do want to play some games. Mainly Guild Wars 2. It can run pretty smooth at low settings on a MBP 13 With sandybridge and Intel HD 3000.
It's a novelty and shouldn't matter but it's less demanding online games like these that I like to play in my breaks. I play shorter sessions but more often. Thats how my style is. I might play 10 minutes here, 20 minutes in the afternoon and a little hour at night. With my Imac I got tired of booting into Windows Vista all the time. Now that new Macs have SSDs, I wonder how fast and snappy it would be from closing down OSX, to clicking the launch-game icon in win7 and be in the game. Maybe it's so fast now it will feel like that my windows 7/8 partition is just steam mode? That's what I'm hoping.
I'm also interested in seeing if Parallels 7, which seems to have done big improvements will be able to give some decent performance. I'm aware that virtualization comes with a major hit in performance, but if I am using an application like a certain game 5-10 times a day...
What are your thoughts?
I'm not buying this thing for games, but gaming is important day-to-day, and it mainfests in shorter sessions for me which made it not very fun to boot camp 5+ times a day for a quick 5-40 minutes play session! On the other hand it's silly to buy a windows pc for the fun, when the main purchase is productivity.

My dilemma. I don't know if the Macbook Pro Retina is portable enough. I don't know if the footprint is too large. The performance is great. Performance wise, it hits what I need. I am sure of that. 650 is actually a bit more than enough. But I think Intel HD 4000 would annoy. That is why I have written off the Macbook Air. I've also written off the Air because it has less travel on the keyboard. Less satisfying punchy crunchy springy keyboard.

This new Retina machine. It's only 2 kilogram. It weighs what a normal 13-inch laptop (non ultrabook weighs). It's outragously thin.

But it has a larger footprint. over the last 3 years i've been used to 13 inch footprint. That's with a screen the size of a a4 paper with a 5 cm bezel surrounding it. that's the dynamic footprint on how much it will take in your backpack.

Realistically; if im at school and have it on desk for 4-6 hours everyday going between classes, have it in my gym bag riding on my bike, use it in the kitchen to check recipes, carrying it around to show friends cool stuff... is it that portable? can it be used that way?

The alternative is the Sony Vaio Z. it's almost twice as light, has a full hardcore i7 CPU and a seperate media dock with external graphics. It will get the job done with its interal 4000 HD but it wont be satisfactory?
The Vaio Z comes up at the same price as the Retina where the configurations matter for me.
Somehow I cant help feel that I am getting less with the Vaio Z. realistically I dont want my external graphics like that.
The Vaio S is an option. It's not made from a total chassis of carbon fiber. It has 640m LE graphics. And it costs half. Realistically the Vaio S is everything I need. but I am afraid it wont be the long enduring work horse that will hopefully last me 3-4 years that I think the Macbook Retina will.
I just have a feeling that the build quality is lower, than it will slow down faster, and most of all I am losing hope in Microsoft and the direction they want to go with Windows 8. I dont like tablet interfaces for my main computing. So OSX has a stronger appeal to me. In my brain it screams more productivity and less bullcrap.

On the other hand I am not sure if I need the Retina display. It drives the price up like crazy. Great screens are always great but if I am a power user / semi-hardcore gamer / who is very very picky about getting the best keyboard, and multi tasking power running 30 flash videos without chrome crashing on me...

Money is not the object. Im looking to make a worthwhile investment. Im not going to sell this in a year and upgrade. No. Im going to roll with it until it gets old. Really old. I dont want to update my electronics every 2-3 years. it annoys me having to do that. Im in it for the long haul. So I would happy be an excessive amount of money for quality. great batter does matter. less weight does matter. better speakers does matter. a screen with great viewing angles does matter. a chassis that doesn't feel like cheap plastic does matter. a snappy day-to-day performance does matter.

Does the Retina Macbook Pro make sense to me?

MrMephistoX

I hope someone here can give me some feedback. I hope you can help me look at things objectively. I'm at a crossroad to purchase a new computer. A laptop.

1) The best combination of power(Speed while browsing with 30 youtube tabs simultaniously, smooth gaming, snappyness in general), with mobility (light enough to carry around in your back, to hold with one hand without wrist falling) and battery life (enough to last you for the majority of your day without being addicted to an outlet constantly. Would say, 5+ hours.)

2) The best keyboard (especially keyboard!) and trackpad available, with backlighting (I'm a heavy dosed nightowl, writing in the darkness!). I'm a 2 meter tall man with large hands. I have a wide wing span and like island style keys with a lot of travel. I can easily write up towards 10-20k a day on a computer. Strangely, not a fan of thinkpads. But I like travel. I like I can press a key down with hard springs. It makes it feel responsive. My feelings have always been that Sony and Apple are the masters of these island-style keys.

3) A good clear screen reading. Besides physically going to community college, I'm taking e-courses online over the next semesters, which means im going to be doing a ton of assignment reading. So a very easy-and-comfortable-to-read screen.

4) Something that will last a very long time. Last thing I had was a Atom Netbook. While cute, it annoyed me after having it a week. It was impossible to browse online effectively. Before that it was a 700 dollars Samsung - While great, slick and decent, not a lot of productivity happened due to it's limited battery (1,5 hour battery realistically) - poor performance in GPU settings meant no fun. Before that it was a 6 pound 15 laptop with 30 minutes of battery life. completely immobile. I regretted it immensely. I had the fucked 8600m GT.
I understand that laptops age quickly. However, I am looking for something that will work for years to come. My Iphone 4s is amazing, and I dont want to change that with anything better for the next 2-3 years. Its camera, recording and feature set is so impressive that I cant even master what I have now. It's literally more than I can chew. So I want a Laptop regardless of cost that will help me through university. I am afraid that getting a entry ultrabook with ivy bridge will piss me off after a year.)

5) I owned a iMac early 2008 model. It had a normal 1 TB HDD. While it was pretty fast for a HDD it got tiresome to boot camp often. Realistically I'm not going to use so much time on gaming, but I do want to play some games. Mainly Guild Wars 2. It can run pretty smooth at low settings on a MBP 13 With sandybridge and Intel HD 3000.
It's a novelty and shouldn't matter but it's less demanding online games like these that I like to play in my breaks. I play shorter sessions but more often. Thats how my style is. I might play 10 minutes here, 20 minutes in the afternoon and a little hour at night. With my Imac I got tired of booting into Windows Vista all the time. Now that new Macs have SSDs, I wonder how fast and snappy it would be from closing down OSX, to clicking the launch-game icon in win7 and be in the game. Maybe it's so fast now it will feel like that my windows 7/8 partition is just steam mode? That's what I'm hoping.
I'm also interested in seeing if Parallels 7, which seems to have done big improvements will be able to give some decent performance. I'm aware that virtualization comes with a major hit in performance, but if I am using an application like a certain game 5-10 times a day...
What are your thoughts?
I'm not buying this thing for games, but gaming is important day-to-day, and it mainfests in shorter sessions for me which made it not very fun to boot camp 5+ times a day for a quick 5-40 minutes play session! On the other hand it's silly to buy a windows pc for the fun, when the main purchase is productivity.

My dilemma. I don't know if the Macbook Pro Retina is portable enough. I don't know if the footprint is too large. The performance is great. Performance wise, it hits what I need. I am sure of that. 650 is actually a bit more than enough. But I think Intel HD 4000 would annoy. That is why I have written off the Macbook Air. I've also written off the Air because it has less travel on the keyboard. Less satisfying punchy crunchy springy keyboard.

This new Retina machine. It's only 2 kilogram. It weighs what a normal 13-inch laptop (non ultrabook weighs). It's outragously thin.

But it has a larger footprint. over the last 3 years i've been used to 13 inch footprint. That's with a screen the size of a a4 paper with a 5 cm bezel surrounding it. that's the dynamic footprint on how much it will take in your backpack.

Realistically; if im at school and have it on desk for 4-6 hours everyday going between classes, have it in my gym bag riding on my bike, use it in the kitchen to check recipes, carrying it around to show friends cool stuff... is it that portable? can it be used that way?

The alternative is the Sony Vaio Z. it's almost twice as light, has a full hardcore i7 CPU and a seperate media dock with external graphics. It will get the job done with its interal 4000 HD but it wont be satisfactory?
The Vaio Z comes up at the same price as the Retina where the configurations matter for me.
Somehow I cant help feel that I am getting less with the Vaio Z. realistically I dont want my external graphics like that.
The Vaio S is an option. It's not made from a total chassis of carbon fiber. It has 640m LE graphics. And it costs half. Realistically the Vaio S is everything I need. but I am afraid it wont be the long enduring work horse that will hopefully last me 3-4 years that I think the Macbook Retina will.
I just have a feeling that the build quality is lower, than it will slow down faster, and most of all I am losing hope in Microsoft and the direction they want to go with Windows 8. I dont like tablet interfaces for my main computing. So OSX has a stronger appeal to me. In my brain it screams more productivity and less bullcrap.

On the other hand I am not sure if I need the Retina display. It drives the price up like crazy. Great screens are always great but if I am a power user / semi-hardcore gamer / who is very very picky about getting the best keyboard, and multi tasking power running 30 flash videos without chrome crashing on me...

Money is not the object. Im looking to make a worthwhile investment. Im not going to sell this in a year and upgrade. No. Im going to roll with it until it gets old. Really old. I dont want to update my electronics every 2-3 years. it annoys me having to do that. Im in it for the long haul. So I would happy be an excessive amount of money for quality. great batter does matter. less weight does matter. better speakers does matter. a screen with great viewing angles does matter. a chassis that doesn't feel like cheap plastic does matter. a snappy day-to-day performance does matter.

To put Vaios in perspective, my wife has blown through 3 of them since 2007. They gradually slowed down, hard drives crapped out, power supplies and USBs blew out etc. My dad's macbook from 2008 is still running great.

Ovid

What are your thoughts?

Damn, dude wrote a damn essay.

I think you answered your own question. Just give Apple your money.

To put Vaios in perspective, my wife has blown through 3 of them since 2007. They gradually slowed down, hard drives crapped out, power supplies and USBs blew out etc. My dad's macbook from 2008 is still running great.

I can second that. I have a Vaio that is less than 3 years old and I had to send it in a few months back for a hard drive that randomly crapped out. It's had a few other random issues that I don't feel like a 2.5 year old laptop should have. Needless to say I received my base rMPB yesterday, and so far I think it's the best tech purchase I have made in years.

I can second that. I have a Vaio that is less than 3 years old and I had to send it in a few months back for a hard drive that randomly crapped out. It's had a few other random issues that I don't feel like a 2.5 year old laptop should have. Needless to say I received my base rMPB yesterday, and so far I think it's the best tech purchase I have made in years.

realistically, do you think you your rMBP is mobile for you to carry it around in your bag all every day to various places?

Good to know. this has been my general pc experience. I guess some utra high quality machines like the Vaio Z might have the hardcore durability, but those end up costing the same if not more than the Macbook with Retina!!!

Top Bottom