• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using apples parts in the regular MBP? Because if so, you are doing it wrong. With the regular MBP you can use third party HD's and Ram.

I used rough estimate third party part prices on the RAM and SSD for the regular MBP.

Which is the point of what I am saying, "Apple-tax" MBRetina is cheaper than classic MBP souped up with third party SSD and RAM to be similar to the MBRetina. I need 16GB RAM and planned on getting an SSD anyway. For a cheaper price I get DAT SCREEN as well with the MBRetina, though I do lose out on being able to do a dual SSD/HDD setup by replacing the ODD.

RangersFan

I just inherited a free ipad 1 from my bro and his wife who have ipad 2 and ipad hd. i will be primarily be using it to read gbs worth of cbr, cbz, and pdf comics i have on my pc. i was wondering what is the best way to transfer the files to the ipad, and what is the best app to view them. so far i have tried using cloud readers app, and it is very nice, however transferring my files is a huge pain in the ass, cause they are all sorted into folders on my pc and so far the only way i've found to transfer them is via the app menu in itunes, and going into each folder in crtl+a all the files. and then once i view them in cloud reader it's all the file names listed. is there a better way? is it possible to just drag my organized folders onto the ipad? is there a better app that organizes and transfers files better? i'm pretty excited i read my first cbr file and it was fantastic the amount of control i had, the ease of page turning zooming panning in and out was astounding.

Safari using more than necessary amount of RAM has been the norm for everybody, but I haven't experienced that other stuff. If he's getting a lot of page outs even with lots of free ram available, then there's something seriously wrong with his system.

I'm on Chrome right now and this is with 4 tabs open:

8JVUq.png

The problem I have with Safari is that it chews my memory to pieces and if I close Safari, it doesn't give it back. With Chrome if I close tabs it gives back the memory. Safari just starts devouring my HD.

njean777

I used rough estimate third party part prices on the RAM and SSD for the regular MBP.

Which is the point of what I am saying, "Apple-tax" MBRetina is cheaper than classic MBP souped up with third party SSD and RAM to be similar to the MBRetina. I need 16GB RAM and planned on getting an SSD anyway. For a cheaper price I get DAT SCREEN as well with the MBRetina, though I do lose out on being able to do a dual SSD/HDD setup by replacing the ODD.

Well it just depends on what you want to do with the computer, I personally dont like the fact that all the parts in the Retina are proprietary. So I just went with a refurbished 15in Pro.

I just inherited a free ipad 1 from my bro and his wife who have ipad 2 and ipad hd. i will be primarily be using it to read gbs worth of cbr, cbz, and pdf comics i have on my pc. i was wondering what is the best way to transfer the files to the ipad, and what is the best app to view them. so far i have tried using cloud readers app, and it is very nice, however transferring my files is a huge pain in the ass, cause they are all sorted into folders on my pc and so far the only way i've found to transfer them is via the app menu in itunes, and going into each folder in crtl+a all the files. and then once i view them in cloud reader it's all the file names listed. is there a better way? is it possible to just drag my organized folders onto the ipad? is there a better app that organizes and transfers files better? i'm pretty excited i read my first cbr file and it was fantastic the amount of control i had, the ease of page turning zooming panning in and out was astounding.

May want to try GoodReader.

Big Chungus

Great, now you guys are scaring me away from buying a Macbook Air with 4gb of memory.

My local electronics store only carries that model and not the 8gb version.

Midas

I just realized the rMBP works with two additional screens at once. Maybe even more. :D
Unfortunatly the tracking still doesn't work because rMBP and voucher needs to merge in Prague, CZ. I hope it's in Europe by now.

Oh. You're the one from Macrumors. :D

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Great, now you guys are scaring me away from buying a Macbook Air with 4gb of memory.

Same here. I was originally going to buy the 8 GB model but decided to go for the 4 since they didn't (don't?) carry the 8 at the Apple Store I went to, and after reading those posts, I'm starting to regret it.

Same here. I was originally going to buy the 8 GB model but decided to go for the 4 since they didn't (don't?) carry the 8 at the Apple Store I went to, and after reading those posts, I'm starting to regret it.

You don't want to do work on the Air that's heavy enough to occupy 8GB of ram.
You'll be fine.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You're fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

why? 4GB is plenty. When the airs were 2GB standard, people were complaining that they really should be 4. So now they're 4, they complain they should be 8 - you'll never stop complainers, but unless Mountain lion is doing something really bad, 4 will be plenty.

and its an awesome laptop. The Sandy Bridge update was really nice, and Ivy Bridge adds a useful GPU bump for gaming (light gaming)

why? 4GB is plenty. When the airs were 2GB standard, people were complaining that they really should be 4. So now they're 4, they complain they should be 8 - you'll never stop complainers, but unless Mountain lion is doing something really bad, 4 will be plenty.

and its an awesome laptop. The Sandy Bridge update was really nice, and Ivy Bridge adds a useful GPU bump for gaming (light gaming)

Running ML Beta on a 4GB 11" Air, previous gen. Doing hardcore Webdesign in Photoshop on it.
Doesn't even break a sweat.

Unless you are layouting for Print or cutting HD video, you'll be well fine.

GusBus

Two free programs should do it. Calibre and iFunbox. Google them for setup instructions but they're both user friendly.

JackEtc

My MBP-R shipped! Originally predicted to be delivered between June 25th and June 28th, it's now saying it'll be delivered Wednesday "before 10:30". HYPE

They don't carry them because they are considered "custom".

I went 8GB because I am going to be doing lots of X11 work for school in cadence, remote connections to my work laptop, work on photos from my 60D, and do a fair amount of work in MATLAB. I borderline was going to get the retina book, but the cost was too much. Given that I move around a lot, I need something light and powerful, but didn't destroy the bank. The MBA ultimately filled the roll.

I believe given these needs, the 8GB was a no brainer. I was very close to getting the i7 upgrade, but didn't believe it would add much.

Carlisle

New MBA arrived this morning (2 days ahead of schedule!). Haven't set it up yet as I'm waiting for Time Machine to finish on my current MBP so I can transfer some things over. Also went with the 8GB upgrade online rather than getting the one at the Apple Store down the street. I don't get why they don't stock at least a handful with the upgrade. It's the only thing you can change on the entry 13" model, might as well have some on hand.

My rMBP just arrived and is being held at FedEx since I'm not around to sign for it. It wasn't supposed to deliver until the 21st-25th according to Apple, but they shipped it early and it got here early.

JackEtc

My rMBP just arrived and is being held at FedEx since I'm not around to sign for it. It wasn't supposed to deliver until the 21st-25th according to Apple, but they shipped it early and it got here early.

In case you don't know, you can pre-sign for it with a form you get off Apple's site if you want them to just leave it.

In case you don't know, you can pre-sign for it with a form you get off Apple's site if you want them to just leave it.

I know, but I'd rather have it being held at FedEx which is on my way home from work anyways instead of sitting out on my porch waiting for me to get home.

Apple doesn't put any stickers on their RAM modules so you can buy Samsung Factory Originals from say Ramjet or DataMemorySystems for far less expensive than what Apple charges.

New MBA arrived this morning (2 days ahead of schedule!). Haven't set it up yet as I'm waiting for Time Machine to finish on my current MBP so I can transfer some things over. Also went with the 8GB upgrade online rather than getting the one at the Apple Store down the street. I don't get why they don't stock at least a handful with the upgrade. It's the only thing you can change on the entry 13" model, might as well have some on hand.

You can also change processor.

Apple doesn't put any stickers on their RAM modules so you can buy Samsung Factory Originals from say Ramjet or DataMemorySystems for far less expensive than what Apple charges.

Yes, and then you can stick them into the imaginary RAM expansion slots that are absolutely not proprietary on every model but the regular MacBook Pro.

JackEtc

I know, but I'd rather have it being held at FedEx which is on my way home from work anyways instead of sitting out on my porch waiting for me to get home.

Yeah, good point. I'm in a safe enough neighborhood where I know it wouldn't get stolen (I'm home for summer vacation anyway), but I can understand not wanting it sitting there, especially if FedEx is not out of your way.

Ovid

I'm afraid ML might bog down the system with only 4GB.

I think 4gb is fine unless you're doing heavy lifting. I went with 4gb. But hey, if you've got the dough, go all out! In my experience it's not about really needing the extra capacity but the anxiety about where you will need it.

I think 4gb is fine unless you're doing heavy lifting. I went with 4gb. But hey, if you've got the dough, go all out! In my experience it's not about really needing the extra capacity but the anxiety about where you will need it.

Yeah, I'd mostly agree for the average user.

Which is why I'm toying betwixt 4 and 8gb, leaning towards 8gb mainly because I want to do some light gaming and will be using it for development.

I would assume he isn't running all of those at the same time. 4GB should be fine unless the program you're using has really bad memory management or you plan on running lots of software at the same exact time.

I tend to leave CS5 open yes; I mean I can afford to dial down the memory use since I'm only working with small, iOS sized files. Quite frankly even the xCode simulator isn't as demanding on my system as steam games like Binding of Isaac...

I tend to leave CS5 open yes; I mean I can afford to dial down the memory use since I'm only working with small, iOS sized files. Quite frankly even the xCode simulator isn't as demanding on my system as steam games like Binding of Isaac...

You would be surprised to see what a lot of indie guys are using to make these graphically intensive games on iOS and XBLA http://usesthis.com/

RBH

In the case of the MBA, I'd personally rather opt for 8GB if you plan to use it for 3+ years and since its non-upgradable. Plus, your needs/uses may change during that time span as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My MBP-R shipped! Originally predicted to be delivered between June 25th and June 28th, it's now saying it'll be delivered Wednesday "before 10:30". HYPE
People must be canceling their orders left and right.

Carlisle

So now that I have an MBA, I'm trying to be a bit more space-conscious. After my set up, I'm left with 30gb. Seems alright for what I need. But when I do a Get Info on my user file (which contains all docs, music, videos, apps, etc), it's only using 25gb of the SSD. I get that OS, utilities, etc take up space, but 65-70GB for that seems like a bit much. Am I missing something major here? The About this Mac break down just says all that is "Other."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So now that I have an MBA, I'm trying to be a bit more space-conscious. After my set up, I'm left with 30gb. Seems alright for what I need. But when I do a Get Info on my user file (which contains all docs, music, videos, apps, etc), it's only using 25gb of the SSD. I get that OS, utilities, etc take up space, but 65-70GB for that seems like a bit much. Am I missing something major here? The About this Mac break down just says all that is "Other."

Run GrandPerspective (free), you'll see where the space is going.

parasight

When my Retina shipped they predicted it would come on Wednesday. Well it's here now and I'm posting from it :)

I don't think I've ever had anything ship EARLY. Well played Apple.

Sent any emails (perhaps with attachments?) on your Mac (if not this one, the one you restored it from) lately? There's a bug where, in the event of a send failure, it keeps saving itself over and over again. It's easy to stop (I can't remember how off the top of my head, but Google should reveal all...). I think we had a couple of hundred gigs go missing before I noticed. When I did, none of the storage checks etc gave me satisfactory answers as to where the space had gone, until I happened upon the email thing.

Alchemy

I still have 100GB left on my MBA, need to find things to fill it up. Was thinking of installing some games on it just to see performance but I would hardly ever play them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one of those 27 in Korean IPS Displays, the 27 in Apple Cinema Display, the 30 in Dell U3011, or a 120 HZ TN Monitor for Gaming

I'm leaning on getting the 27 in Apple Cinema Display, but I'm not sure if I should wait for a potential refresh. The Dell seems nice and is bigger for the same price, but I heard the AG coating messes up some of the picture. Supposedly people see sparkles. The Korean Monitors look nice for the price, but I'm not sure I want to deal with not having a company warranty. I'm also considering getting a 120 HZ Monitor, since I heard Blurring gets drastically lowered in gaming, but I'm not sure how drastic a change it is.

My current Monitor is a Launch Dell WFP2408.

Ovid

Maybe I'm being a fanboy but I don't think Apple is going to roll out a whole new range of base level machines that can't handle the OS that is going to be bundled with every single one of them.
Fanboy :p

I'm a bit cynical because after the second update on my 1st gen iPad everything starting slowing down. Fricken, Safari crashes like a mofo now too. I can't get rid of my baby though.

I am running the ML Beta on a previous gen Macbook Air 11" with 4GB Ram.
It runs better than Lion.
Really!? What a relief.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
it's impressive how Apple and Intel have managed to coax even more power and efficiency out of their designs. seeing as how the Air was the trial balloon to the glorious 3rd version makes me hesitant to sell my 2011 MBP to buy the 2012 Retina MBP.

who knows whether i'll be able to buy a vastly improved and cheaper Retina MBP in three years time, but i dont' like the idea of being a tester for Apple's 1.0 devices.

Top Bottom