• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Transferring a dmg over USB 3, Air to external SDD…

S8NU5.png

1XbJV.jpg

I'll see your USB 3 SSD and raise you a ThunderBolt SSD

l1Ava.jpg

Copied my Diablo 3 folder over to an external SSD connected via thunderbolt

Ephemeris

l1Ava.jpg

Damn
tumblr_liqs98ECu81qdz6jx.gif

Most of my externals are USB 3.0, which is still fast enough. EPP+ just went live today for apple employees..

My body is ready.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
how do you get a NAS server to be your default itunes library?

I did this on the mba and it only grabbed 1/4 of my music and tonight the mbp just sits there without adding songs. o_O

i pointed to the folder to my NAS server in preferences and still nothing.

ugh.

RangersFan

That's the Archive button. It does exactly what you said. To move it back to the inbox click the folder with the little arrow pointing down and you should be able to move it back into the inbox.

thx, where exactly does it archive it to? like "all mail" already holds every single email i've ever received, and archiving just made is disappear from "inbox" i click on every single folder, in both the mail app and in gmail and the archive e-mails can only be found in "all mail"

GusBus

Just scored a deal on last year's MBA 11' 128GB. $760 in mint condition and still under warranty (eBay offers ftw). That said, the Air doesn't seem to hold as high resale value as the MBP. Anyone have an idea as to why that is?

1) How long do you plan to use it

2) What are you using it for in school. Anything outside email, papers, and web research?

1) daily for several hours and possibly up to 4 years

2) purely school related activities like the stuff you mentioned and watching video lectures and doing class related activities online.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
God made the mistake if going to best buy today and looking at the rMBP next to the vanilla MBP. The apple store didn't have them side by side so it was harder to make a direct screen comparison.

Want so badly :(

Edit: the funny thing is the wife says I should just buy it, and I am being practical and can't justify it. Bizzaro world!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
God made the mistake if going to best buy today and looking at the rMBP next to the vanilla MBP. The apple store didn't have them side by side so it was harder to make a direct screen comparison.
It really does ruin any screen you put up against it. It feels like a product ahead of its time and I can't wait until everyone else catches up.

So I finally managed to take apart my MacBook pro. Unfortunately I had to use a Dremel tool on about 5 screws...is there anywhere I can buy those small t6 torx screws?

I'm pretty worried trying to put this back together D:

Edit: the funny thing is the wife says I should just buy it, and I am being practical and can't justify it. Bizzaro world!
Wow. You are strong. I conceded defeat when it was wife approved.

MrMephistoX

Wow. You are strong. I conceded defeat when it was wife approved.

Same here I was resigned to keeping my iMac and just getting an Air till I surprisingly got wife approval for the Retina. Guess its an extra thank you for doing all the housework during her third trimester ;)

Ovid

l1Ava.jpg

Don't u need a USB 3 compatible device in order to make full use of it? For example, if I have a USB 2 external drive and I connect it to the Air, wouldn't transfer speeds be at the USB 2 transfer limit?

thx, where exactly does it archive it to? like "all mail" already holds every single email i've ever received, and archiving just made is disappear from "inbox" i click on every single folder, in both the mail app and in gmail and the archive e-mails can only be found in "all mail"

It's an alternative to Delete. In the settings for your mail account there should be an Archive Messages option you can set to on or off. The description says "Save deleted messages in your All Mail folder" but it just basically removes the email from all the boxes but doesn't move the email to the deleted folder. I think the idea is that it will still be available when doing searches or if you're willing to wade through your All Mail folder. If you turn that setting to off, the Archive button is replaced with a Trash Can Delete button, which actually moves the email to the Deleted folder.

Don't u need a USB 3 compatible device in order to make full use of it? For example, if I have a USB 2 external drive and I connect it to the Air, wouldn't transfer speeds be at the USB 2 transfer limit?

If your air isn't one of the 2012 models that has usb 3.0 ports, it would be limited to usb 2.0 speeds, yes.

rinse82

Was debating between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 13" Macbook Air, looks like I'm going to go with the base model MBP.

Will upgrade to 8GB ram myself, and add in an SSD eventually (and swap the ODD out for the HDD while I'm at it).

MBA's portability was a big selling point, but it's not like the MBP is a rock or anything, I'll survive.

Going to be ordering my first mac in the next couple of days, just waiting for an AMEX gift card to come in the mail =)

That's still not hitting the upper limit of thunderbolt and is likely limited by the combination of the SSD and the HDD you're transferring from.

That is true.

my external SSD is a samsung 830, which is a SATA 6 GBbps drive.. the drive (or the internal ssd) is the limiting factor when using thunderbolt.

Thinking about getting a 13" MBA for going back to uni in September. Is it worth shelling out the extra £200 (or less with education discount) for the extra RAM and better processor? I've got a desktop at home for gaming so probably won't play any games on it but it's not the kind of thing I'm planning on replacing after one or two years. The other option is to get an ultrabook so if anyone has any recommendations on those that would be awesome. But I'm kind of leaning towards the Air.

how do you get a NAS server to be your default itunes library?

I did this on the mba and it only grabbed 1/4 of my music and tonight the mbp just sits there without adding songs. o_O

i pointed to the folder to my NAS server in preferences and still nothing.

ugh.

The way I keep my music organized is that I have a separate folder for every album in my music folder on my NAS drive. The only way I've been able to get all the albums I've wanted into iTunes was to manually add each folder containing an individual album.

That is true.

my external SSD is a samsung 830, which is a SATA 6 GBbps drive.. the drive (or the internal ssd) is the limiting factor when using thunderbolt.

What kind of adaptor are you using to use the Samsung 830 externally? I've got a spare of that exact drive I'd like to use in the same way.

RBH

Thinking about getting a 13" MBA for going back to uni in September. Is it worth shelling out the extra £200 (or less with education discount) for the extra RAM and better processor? I've got a desktop at home for gaming so probably won't play any games on it but it's not the kind of thing I'm planning on replacing after one or two years. The other option is to get an ultrabook so if anyone has any recommendations on those that would be awesome. But I'm kind of leaning towards the Air.

Not for the processor.

paparazzo

Tech noob question:

I have the 2011 21.5" iMac with 2.5GHz quad-core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache and 4GB DDR3 SDRAM. Would it be worth it to upgrade the ram to 16GB? Specifically this ram: http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-PC3-10600-1333MHz-204-Pin-9-9-9-25/dp/B00698WP50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340292740&sr=8-1&keywords=imac+ram+16gb

I don't do a lot of intensive tasks on it. But I figured if adding ram helps prolong the computer's life and makes it at least a tad faster, then it might be worth it.

Also, would I be able to just add it on to the existing ram, giving me a total of 20GB?

I don't do a lot of intensive tasks on it. But I figured if adding ram helps prolong the computer's life and makes it at least a tad faster, then it might be worth it.

Also, would I be able to just add it on to the existing ram, giving me a total of 20GB?

1. More RAM will never make your system faster unless the existing RAM is already being maxed out. If you aren't maxing out your 4GB then 16GB would have precisely zero effect.

2. Generally no; that 4GB is already placed into the (limited number of) memory slots, so you could only add on memory if there were unused slots. If your iMac has two slots and if that's the compatible set for you, you would have to take out the existing 4GB.

Alchemy

Speaking of gaming on the Air, how much of an improvement in performance is there by running Windows instead of OS X? I seem to recall that there was some deficiencies in OS X drivers, but I'm not sure if that is really an issue with integrated GPUs like the HD4000.

rinse82

Just ordered a Refurb MBP 13" i5

Originally released February 2011
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM

Was leaning towards the 2012 MBP or MBA but for $829.99 I couldn't pass it up. This will be my first Mac. I figured I would take the savings from buying refurb and put it into more RAM and an SSD, while sacrificing the Intel HD 4000 and faster processor speed in the 2012 version

I've had a good experience with an iPad refurb so hoping the same for this. I might end up getting extended AppleCare with my wife's education discount ($199 for 3 additional years)

Anyone else have experiences with Macbook refurbs? I could always return it if I change my mind.

Pachimari

Seriously, is it normal that, when my MacBook Air 13" (2011) is turned off or in sleep mode, that I can see the Apple logo that's on the back on the black screen itself? I can see my finger hovering behind the screen, ON the screen.

Is this normal?? =/
It's only like 8 months old.

BUY THAT SHIT IMMEDIATELY!

Just ordered a Refurb MBP 13" i5

Originally released February 2011
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM

Was leaning towards the 2012 MBP or MBA but for $829.99 I couldn't pass it up. This will be my first Mac. I figured I would take the savings from buying refurb and put it into more RAM and an SSD, while sacrificing the Intel HD 4000 and faster processor speed in the 2012 version

I've had a good experience with an iPad refurb so hoping the same for this. I might end up getting extended AppleCare with my wife's education discount ($199 for 3 additional years)

Anyone else have experiences with Macbook refurbs? I could always return it if I change my mind.

Looks like a base MBP 13? Good price, and Apple Refurbs are highly respected. I'd recommend Applecare if you're worried about it ever dying or breaking somehow, but that would apply regardless of refurb status

It takes a braver man than I to take a Dremel to a Macbook Pro. I think this is what you're looking for http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-15-Unibody-Screw-Set-p-19683.html

Haha it was pretty nerve racking.

I went to a local Mac repair store and they gave me a couple screws. I looked at it later and realized that it was a Philips head not a torx head. Should that be okay?

in other news, my dads old laptop just broke. Unfortunately I don't think they can shell out for a new MacBook air. If I were to look at the MacBook airs on the refurbished store, what year does it get up to par from being a secondary computer to a main computer?

Ephemeris

The core i5 in the 13 inch Air gets the job done according to the benchmarks. One thing I can't quite shake though, is the i7 worth a $75 upgrade? I'm not going to be pushing the machine too hard, but I will be running one or two VM's at the same time (which is why I'm going 8GB's on the RAM).

Top Bottom