• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

paparazzo

1. More RAM will never make your system faster unless the existing RAM is already being maxed out. If you aren't maxing out your 4GB then 16GB would have precisely zero effect.

2. Generally no; that 4GB is already placed into the (limited number of) memory slots, so you could only add on memory if there were unused slots. If your iMac has two slots and if that's the compatible set for you, you would have to take out the existing 4GB.

Ah, gotcha. My iMac actually does have four ram slots total with two of them free but it sounds like it'd be useless for me. Thanks for the input.

tigerin

does anyone know how applecare+ works? i'm thinknig of returning it and i bought it less than a month ago(maybe?)

can i still return it?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
does anyone know how applecare+ works? i'm thinknig of returning it and i bought it less than a month ago(maybe?)

can i still return it?

isn't that the 3 year program that also handles accidental breakage? keep it. i stupidly have it for my iPad Third, but not my MBP, even though i could've already used it on the latter since i spilled sweet, sweet juice all over my trackpad and done messed it up.

for devices you handle on a daily basis, especially if you decide to forgo cases, it's a no-brainer. Apple's repair charges for devices outside the warranty period are rather high.

isn't that the 3 year program that also handles accidental breakage? keep it. i stupidly have it for my iPad Third, but not my MBP, even though i could've already used it on the latter since i spilled sweet, sweet juice all over my trackpad and done messed it up.

for devices you handle on a daily basis, especially if you decide to forgo cases, it's a no-brainer. Apple's repair charges for devices outside the warranty period are rather high.

Applecare+ isn't available for the laptop line is it?

Well fuck, after waiting forever for my top case to get here, using a Dremel on the screws, and buying all types of screw drivers, I finally tear it apart and realize that the new case had a different wireless attachment.

Fuuuuuuuuck

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Picked up 3 1tb usb 3.0 portable hdd today. I'm still getting use to the keyboards. The spacing between the letters keeps throwing me off. :(

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to double the RAM on the MBP. I've done this lots of times on PCs so it should be easy...right?

scorcho

That's what I thought. Otherwise you'd be a moron not to get it for 49 dollars a laptop change.

oh, well then. i imagine that if Applecare+ is offered for their laptops it'd be charged much higher considering the regular Applecare already costs more than that.

I ordered my second Air on Sunday too (with 8GB) and it shipped yesterday.

I just checked the tracking and it's in Arkansas. So mine should be arriving tomorrow.

Oh fuck. Thank you. I live in Texas. If it comes tomorrow that would be amazing.

My concern is since its the apple store they may get it in, and just not process it until Monday.

Quick question guys.

My current Mac setup right now is I have 2 laptops(Me: Macbook Pro, Wife: Macbook Air) a Tony Mac and a airport extreme.

I really want a central media server where all the laptops and my TV can access music and movies. I figure I need to get apple TV to help with that as well but what else would you guys recommend to set this up as efficiently as possible.

HoTHiTTeR

Picked up 3 1tb usb 3.0 portable hdd today. I'm still getting use to the keyboards. The spacing between the letters keeps throwing me off. :(

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to double the RAM on the MBP. I've done this lots of times on PCs so it should be easy...right?

10 screws and 2 dimms. If it takes you more than 10 minutes start to finish, stop immediately and ask for help.

Synology NAS. tremendous software with a great browser interface. even has clients for your iOS devices, should you want to use them.

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212j&lang=us

Holy shit. Would this be perfect to store my camera raw's (photos), stream my video content to 360, and/or serve as a local "dropbox"? I would put this thing in raid 1.

I would need it to work with my air and itunes library. (though likely I would keep a copy of my music library local on my mac too)

Edit: I would want to put green drives in this to further save power right? I already happen to have a 1.5TB green drive.

Edit2: It's gotta be fast enough to edit raw's from my mac at home.

scorcho

Holy shit. Would this be perfect to store my camera raw's (photos), stream my video content to 360, and/or serve as a local "dropbox"? I would put this thing in raid 1.

I would need it to work with my air and itunes library. (though likely I would keep a copy of my music library local on my mac too)

Edit: I would want to put green drives in this to further save power right? I already happen to have a 1.5TB green drive.

Edit2: It's gotta be fast enough to edit raw's from my mac at home.

if your Mac at home is on gigabit ethernet and you have that all up and down your chain, you can edit RAW files on that NAS just fine. at least i can in Lightroom. Just make sure to keep the catalog file on your local drive. Bandwidth regularly hits 80MB/sec, comparable to SATAII drives.

BigFwoosh

So I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Air, but I'm torn between going with 4GB or 8GB of ram. I'm not going to do any video or image editing, but I am going to run XCode and Eclipse so that I can write iOS and Android apps. As a test, I opened XCode and an iPhone simulator, Eclipse and an Android emulator, a ton of Chrome tabs, and Spotify (I figure this is a typical use case for me) on my Mac Mini, and it showed that I still had 1.2GB free out of 4.

It seems like 4GB will be enough, but I'm afraid I'll end up bottlenecking myself down the road. Anybody have any suggestions? FWIW the ram upgrade will end up costing me around $160 since if I get the 4GB I will order it from Amazon and not have to pay sales tax.

tigerin

Why did you buy it in the first place if you don't know how it works?

Applecare+ isn't available for the laptop line is it?

I believe it's only for the iPhone and iPad.

That's what I thought. Otherwise you'd be a moron not to get it for 49 dollars a laptop change.

yea, it's for the iPad 2. reason i'm thinking of returning it because i found a good deal on the iPad 3 and maybe i'll sell the iPad 2. if i add in the applecare then it will cost too much.

if your Mac at home is on gigabit ethernet and you have that all up and down your chain, you can edit RAW files on that NAS just fine. at least i can in Lightroom. Just make sure to keep the catalog file on your local drive. Bandwidth regularly hits 80MB/sec, comparable to SATAII drives.

I would have the NAS and macbook pro plugged into my same AT&T surfboard. Would that be sufficient? I figure eventually I am going to need to buy a better router because the surfboard is such a POS.

So I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Air, but I'm torn between going with 4GB or 8GB of ram. I'm not going to do any video or image editing, but I am going to run XCode and Eclipse so that I can write iOS and Android apps. As a test, I opened XCode and an iPhone simulator, Eclipse and an Android emulator, a ton of Chrome tabs, and Spotify (I figure this is a typical use case for me) on my Mac Mini, and it showed that I still had 1.2GB free out of 4.

It seems like 4GB will be enough, but I'm afraid I'll end up bottlenecking myself down the road. Anybody have any suggestions? FWIW the ram upgrade will end up costing me around $160 since if I get the 4GB I will order it from Amazon and not have to pay sales tax.
Sounds like you'd be fine with 4gb especially since your test showed a comfortable buffer but if you won't sweat the extra $160 go ahead and get the extra RAM, sometimes it's worth it just for the peace of mind.

scorcho

I would have the NAS and macbook pro plugged into my same AT&T surfboard. Would that be sufficient? I figure eventually I am going to need to buy a better router because the surfboard is such a POS.

does that surfboard support gigabit ethernet? if not, you will need to get a gigabit switch. and hook all the devices to that, then hook the switch to the modem.

if you want to avoid the hub/switch and get a gigabit wifi router as well, see here - http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/because-everyone-still-needs-a-router.html

BigFwoosh

Don't forget if you're getting the extra RAM yourself you can always just get it down the road and install it later. Why not see how you get on with the 4gb and you can add the extra later if you feel you need to.

From what I've read though, the ram is soldered onto the motherboard in the newer models. Won't that prevent me from upgrading later?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget if you're getting the extra RAM yourself you can always just get it down the road and install it later. Why not see how you get on with the 4gb and you can add the extra later if you feel you need to.

Macbook Air, so he has to do it now or never. The way he worded it was confusing to me too, but the "4GB" he would get from amazon is the stock Air, not an additional 4GB RAM.

EDIT:
From what I've read though, the ram is soldered onto the motherboard in the newer models. Won't that prevent me from upgrading later?
You are correct, Gary misread which model you were talking about.

Yeah my mistake.

So it really comes down to how much you sweat the the extra $160. I paid extra for 8gb when I bought my iMac but honestly I don't know if I've ever benefited from it. As someone else here said you don't even see the benefit except in cases when the initial 4gb is maxing out. But sometimes it is worth it just to know you have it. Doesn't hurt the resale value either.

BigFwoosh

Macbook Air, so he has to do it now or never. The way he worded it was confusing to me too, but the "4GB" he would get from amazon is the stock Air, not an additional 4GB RAM.

EDIT:

You are correct, Gary misread which model you were talking about.

Apologies for the confusion. Yeah, I'm talking about the stock 13" Macbook Air.

Yeah my mistake.

So it really comes down to how much you sweat the the extra $160. I paid extra for 8gb when I bought my iMac but honestly I don't know if I've ever benefited from it. As someone else here said you don't even see the benefit except in cases when the initial 4gb is maxing out. But sometimes it is worth it just to know you have it. Doesn't hurt the resale value either.

Yeah, I guess I have to figure out if $160 is a dealbreaker or not. Thanks for the input.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies for the confusion. Yeah, I'm talking about the stock 13" Macbook Air.

Yeah, I guess I have to figure out if $160 is a dealbreaker or not. Thanks for the input.

No problem, also look into the educational price from apple if you "qualify." It would take 50 off the computer and 10 off the RAM reducing some of the sting in the difference if you decide to go that way.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sorry for the uninformedness, but I see people saying they buy retina macbooks. Does that mean the 2012 refresh is out?

does that surfboard support gigabit ethernet? if not, you will need to get a gigabit switch. and hook all the devices to that, then hook the switch to the modem.

if you want to avoid the hub/switch and get a gigabit wifi router as well, see here - http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/because-everyone-still-needs-a-router.html

No it appears to be only 10/100. Is 100 not enough? I am a single user so at most maybe the tv would be streaming netflix over cat IV in my apartment.

MercuryLS

Banned
I have a 4gb 2011 MBA and have had NO issues doing casual computing on it. Music, Movies, Safari, light games, etc. No issues. I think I've see the beachball like once since I've owned the machine.

Sorry for the uninformedness, but I see people saying they buy retina macbooks. Does that mean the 2012 refresh is out?

Yes the retina MacBook Pro is what the refreshed product is. Quad-core processors, fast flash storage (256 standard on the $2199 model, 512 GB standard on the $2799 model with an option for 768 GB for $500), 2880x1800 display, nVidia GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB of memory, 8 GB standard (16 GB CTO).

tigerin

Yeah my mistake.

Wouldn't you make the same amount of money if you have a 8gb ram over 4gb ram? what i'm thinking is, you paid around $100 extra for the 8gb and sell it $100 more than the base one. so it's even, right?

Wouldn't you make the same amount of money if you have a 8gb ram over 4gb ram? what i'm thinking is, you paid around $100 extra for the 8gb and sell it $100 more than the base one. so it's even, right?
Yeah my point, poorly expressed, was that it all evens out when you eventually sell it.

I think I'm going to drive 2.5 hours away to the closest Apple store in Lancaster PA this weekend. I know I could order the MacBook Air online and have it soon but I want to see it, test it and compare the 13" to the 11". Come on Apple, build a store in central PA.

I think I'm going to drive 2.5 hours away to the closest Apple store in Lancaster PA this weekend. I know I could order the MacBook Air online and have it soon but I want to see it, test it and compare the 13" to the 11". Come on Apple, build a store in central PA.

You don't have any other electronic stores nearby?

Top Bottom