• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I just inputted specs for a 2010 13" MacBook Air on sellyourmac.com - used the exact same specs for both models, the only difference being 2gb RAM on one and 4gb RAM on the other. The site offered me $510 for the 2gb model and $563 for the $4gb. So that's $53 higher resale value based on a 2gb RAM difference. The current models are 4gb and 8gb, double the difference in RAM. You do the math.

Quick question guys.

My current Mac setup right now is I have 2 laptops(Me: Macbook Pro, Wife: Macbook Air) a Tony Mac and a airport extreme.

I really want a central media server where all the laptops and my TV can access music and movies. I figure I need to get apple TV to help with that as well but what else would you guys recommend to set this up as efficiently as possible.

Anyone?

I just inputted specs for a 2010 13" MacBook Air on sellyourmac.com - used the exact same specs for both models, the only difference being 2gb RAM on one and 4gb RAM on the other. The site offered me $510 for the 2gb model and $563 for the $4gb. So that's $53 higher resale value based on a 2gb RAM difference. The current models are 4gb and 8gb, double the difference in RAM. You do the math.

Yeah, but if you actually use the 8gb the depreciation isn't that big a deal.

Blackhead

Redarse

$100-$53 != $100

Blackhead

Redarse
Here, it'll go faster if I do the math for you.

2gb/4gb RAM differential in 2010 = $100

2gb/4gb RAM differential in 2012 = $50

4gb/8gb RAM differential in 2012 = $100

4gb/8gb RAM differential in 2014 = ?

Double the difference in RAM, double the difference in price.

ftfy

Even if it's only $50 that's still 5x what you used in your misguided iPhone storage space analogy.

The point is that RAM, like every other component, does of course depreciate, but not to the insignificant degree that you tried to argue. Also, it's just easier to sell a higher-specced machine. A lot of people just aren't interested in buying the base RAM model a few years later when you need more RAM each year.

Blackhead

Redarse
So I guess the ? means you actually have no idea what the resale value would be.

Even if it's only $50 that's still 5x what you used in your misguided iPhone storage space analogy.

?!

Wouldn't you make the same amount of money if you have a 8gb ram over 4gb ram? what i'm thinking is, you paid around $100 extra for the 8gb and sell it $100 more than the base one. so it's even, right?
Nope

Okay I'm done arguing with Greyface, it's pointless trying to debate people who can't even bother to type more than a few characters. Ignore list +1.

What do you need?

Ooh Nice check this out:

My current Mac setup right now is I have 2 laptops(Me: Macbook Pro, Wife: Macbook Air) a Tony Mac and a airport extreme.

I really want a central media server where all the laptops and my TV can access music and movies. I figure I need to get apple TV to help with that as well but what else would you guys recommend to set this up as efficiently as possible.

What should I do?

Ooh Nice check this out:

What should I do?
Hmm, not sure, I think there are many ways you can do it. I have an iMac and a laptop and most of the media is on the iMac. Media gets streamed from that to the Apple TV.

harSon

Banned
Ooh Nice check this out:

What should I do?

Plex perhaps? http://www.plexapp.com/

harSon

Banned

Synology NAS is awesome. I raided 2 TB drives in there, put my iTunes library on there, do my time machine backups, use them for dlna.... Love it.

Only thing it's poor is for picture editing, but I expected that.

In case anyone was curious, updating to Mountain Lion fixed all the OSX choppiness on my Retina MacBook Pro.

I am very curious. Thank you very much.
I still haven't pulled the trigger because I heard rumors of choppiness on that model. At least I got my Thunderbolt Display on the way! ;D

Synology NAS is awesome. I raided 2 TB drives in there, put my iTunes library on there, do my time machine backups, use them for dlna.... Love it.

Only thing it's poor is for picture editing, but I expected that.

How bad? That's one of the reasons I plan on getting it.

So I'm staring down the Macbook Pro page and I honestly can't decide which model I want... I'm buying the laptop as a Comp. Sci. major at my university. Last night I was set on the base Retina model, but today I am unsure again. I would either be buying the base Retina model or the Normal Macbook Pro @ 2.6 ghz model at the same price.

Are people having problems with the Retina model? Should I just decide on one quickly today? I'm sure I'll be happy with either but am just a little on edge when I am about to spend this much money on a laptop.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
How bad? That's one of the reasons I plan on getting it.

there's some latency issues, but that's a given considering this is running over gigabit ethernet and not a direct SATA interface. otherwise, throughput is more than good enough for file management and touchups in Lightroom, and files transfer over the network great. another snazzy feature with Synology - you can set up a DYNDNS service and access all your files through any web browser supporting java. the interface is tops, and you can stream the Synology 'OS' has a built in streaming media player as well. you can queue downloads/torrents remotely, hook up USB cams the device for a make-shift security cam device, run a DLNA server and, if you love working with code, even install an AirTunes emulator, plug in a USB soundcard and have a remote speaker system.

give the beta interface a test - http://www.synology.com/products/dsm_livedemo.php?lang=us. all the 'programs' in the OS are nestled in the upper left menu button. oh, just saw that there's a Plex Server package available for Synology too.

Synology and HDHomeRun are my most favorite purchases over the last few years because both devices, at the core, rip functionality away from any one computer and networks it to any and all devices you have in your home.

i have no experience using Aperture, but there do appear to be some issues - http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=39855

So I'm staring down the Macbook Pro page and I honestly can't decide which model I want... I'm buying the laptop as a Comp. Sci. major at my university. Last night I was set on the base Retina model, but today I am unsure again. I would either be buying the base Retina model or the Normal Macbook Pro @ 2.6 ghz model at the same price.

Are people having problems with the Retina model? Should I just decide on one quickly today? I'm sure I'll be happy with either but am just a little on edge when I am about to spend this much money on a laptop.

If you don't like it, you can return it.

there's some latency issues, but that's a given considering this is running over gigabit ethernet and not a direct SATA interface. otherwise, throughput is more than good enough for file management and touchups in Lightroom, and files transfer over the network great. another snazzy feature with Synology - you can set up a DYNDNS service and access all your files through any web browser supporting java. the interface is tops, and you can stream the Synology 'OS' has a built in streaming media player as well. you can queue downloads/torrents remotely, hook up USB cams the device for a make-shift security cam device, run a DLNA server and, if you love working with code, even install an AirTunes emulator, plug in a USB soundcard and have a remote speaker system.

give the beta interface a test - http://www.synology.com/products/dsm_livedemo.php?lang=us. all the 'programs' in the OS are nestled in the upper left menu button. oh, just saw that there's a Plex Server package available for Synology too.

Synology and HDHomeRun are my most favorite purchases over the last few years because both devices, at the core, rip functionality away from any one computer and networks it to any and all devices you have in your home.

i have no experience using Aperture, but there do appear to be some issues - http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=39855

I don't use aperture. Plan is to continue using lightroom.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Get hands-on experience with both models. Decide if the added money really adds value for you personally. As for a day-to-day uni laptop, both will be amazing either way.

If you don't like it, you can return it.

Can I return it even if I order online?

Get hands-on experience with both models. Decide if the added money really adds value for you personally. As for a day-to-day uni laptop, both will be amazing either way.

Yea, I've played with last years MBP at BestBuy since there isn't a Apple Store close to me. Does anyone know how long it takes for Brick and Mortar stores to get the latest models in?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Can I return it even if I order online?

Yea, I've played with last years MBP at BestBuy since there isn't a Apple Store close to me. Does anyone know how long it takes for Brick and Mortar stores to get the latest models in?

You can ship it back to Apple if you order it from them and want to return it.

I was in my Best Buy a few days ago, and they had a price tag in the Apple section for 2 different retina models, but I didn't ask if they have any in stock.

For what it's worth, I got my rMPB early this week, and I love it. I bought the base model, and would recommend it to almost anyone, unless having a lot of storage built in is a big deal. I have all of my media files on a NAS and also a portable external hard drive, so it's not an issue for me.

rinse82

So seeing as I'm converting from PC to MAC after 20 years, anyone know of a good online resource for first-time mac users?

I'm sure I'll be able to figure my way around things but would be nice to read up on some of the nuances prior to the MBP arriving.

Thanks!

pj

Banned
I have a stupid question about the retina MBP

Apple says the cutouts for the side vents add torsional rigidity because of the little pillars. How does cutting material away from a solid object make it more rigid? I'm not a materials engineer, but that makes no sense to me.

From the ars review, but I also saw it in the liveblog of the announcement.
Apple claims that the way they are carved into the unibody creates additional torsional rigidity.

rMBP_vents.jpg

Wouldn't it be stronger if the vents weren't there?? So confused

Top Bottom