• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Cudder

You can either do as what ericexpo says, or you can also put it in disk target mode.

Do you have a time machine backup by any chance?

I do, but the latest backup I have is so old I'd rather just find a way to get some individual files and folders off the drive somehow.

What is target disk mode and how do I do it?

I know nobody really knows, but I was interested in getting an iMac for me and my girlfriend but i'm worried about a new revision coming out since its been a little over a year since the last one. I'm not too worried about having a year old model moreso than an inevitable price drop for the current models once the new ones are out. Would it be smart to wait for mountain lion to come out first to see if they launch a new version or, and i'm assuming they don't, do Apple stores offer any kind of protection against that issue? Thanks for your help if there's any opinions.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I know nobody really knows, but I was interested in getting an iMac for me and my girlfriend but i'm worried about a new revision coming out since its been a little over a year since the last one. I'm not too worried about having a year old model moreso than an inevitable price drop for the current models once the new ones are out. Would it be smart to wait for mountain lion to come out first to see if they launch a new version or, and i'm assuming they don't, do Apple stores offer any kind of protection against that issue? Thanks for your help if there's any opinions.

According to the Mac Buyer's Guide, there's a revision due shortly, so I suggest you wait for a little bit.

I don't know if that site is super accurate though.

Alchemy

I would advise against buying any Apple product that hasn't been refreshed in a year or more, it usually means one is coming soon or Apple hates you (Mac Pro).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Best buy just cut prices on the new airs and pro. Best prices I've seen yet. In-store only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...050001&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing&gf=y

11" Air starts at $950
13" Air and Pro starts at $1140
15" Pro starts at $1700
15" Retina starts at $2090

+tax. Students get a $150 gift card. (Need ID. Ask for it.)
Not bad, you could rack up a bunch of rewards points too. Best buy by me had good shipments of retina MBP so if anyone doesn't need 16GB ram check there first.

Quick question/inquiry. It's fairly straightforward to replace the ssd in the Air right? I could save $300 and get the base 13" model with 8gigs of ram, which would be ideal, and then replace as needed.

dwebo

Quick question/inquiry. It's fairly straightforward to replace the ssd in the Air right? I could save $300 and get the base 13" model with 8gigs of ram, which would be ideal, and then replace as needed.

uh depends on your definition of straightforward I guess. you'd have to buy a special ssd (different form factor) from owc or whoever else sells them. considering how expensive those are, I'd hope they come with the requisite screwdrivers needed as well

but yeah, once you have the right ssd and screwdrivers, it's not hard to replace it

uh depends on your definition of straightforward I guess. you'd have to buy a special ssd (different form factor) from owc or whoever else sells them. considering how expensive those are, I'd hope they come with the requisite screwdrivers needed as well

but yeah, once you have the right ssd and screwdrivers, it's not hard to replace it

Well straightforward meaning "I have great knowledge of computers is it worth spending less and upgrading in the near future when prices go down a bit".

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
while general ssd prices are falling, I doubt these will drop much since the market is so niche

anyway, doesn't look like owc has ssds for 2012, but here are their prices for earlier models:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express
Correct they do not have models for 2012 Air or rMBP yet.

The costs on the air ssd is higher because it is a custom form factor (that they changed again) so as dwebo said don't expect them to fall as quickly as other SSDs. I hope in the future apple or someone else start to collect around a standard blade type ssd if that us where they are going. Apple could absolutely be a leader here but so far don't seem to care.

corn_fest

iMac revision is almost certainly coming later this year. I would hold off for now.
Apple does allow exchanges for new models if you buy within a certain timeframe of the announcement, but it's not long (2 weeks?)

Michan

Does anybody have any idea of when the iMac is being updated? I've wanted one for years and desperately need to upgrade from my Mac Mini.

got my $118 back from my base model retina MBP at best buy.. and promptly turned around and spent it on the new seagate 3TB thunderbolt model that they conveniently had one of on the shelf.

I think I'm going to be ok with the 256GB.. though if they do get a 512 in the next couple weeks I will probably still pick it up.

Big Chungus

Bought my first mac laptop a few days ago, macbook pro, so far it's a nice machine but the weight kinda kills it for me.

I have 14 days to exchange it if I want, not sure if the Macbook air will be better or not for what I want to do.

The only thing about the Macbook air i don tlike is that I cant upgrade the memory or hard drive.

sadface

LCfiner

Does anybody have any idea of when the iMac is being updated? I've wanted one for years and desperately need to upgrade from my Mac Mini.

not sure. I think a lot of us were expecting them to be updated at the same time as the laptops.

I think Apple will update them sometime this summer with the Ivy Bridge chips, faster GPUs and USB 3 (like the regular MBP and Air updates) but there’s no guarantee.

I wouldn’t expect any form factor (thickness, bezel, etc) update till the inevitable retina display update which has got to be much further down the line.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to hold off for a while. It does seem like something will be out sooner than later and it's too big of a purchase to just hope for the best with $2k.

rezuth

Bought my first mac laptop a few days ago, macbook pro, so far it's a nice machine but the weight kinda kills it for me.

I have 14 days to exchange it if I want, not sure if the Macbook air will be better or not for what I want to do.

The only thing about the Macbook air i don tlike is that I cant upgrade the memory or hard drive.

sadface

You can replace the SSD.

582616_357420757664036_2060482135_n.jpg

GF's new rMBP. First Mac.

asdad123

got my $118 back from my base model retina MBP at best buy.. and promptly turned around and spent it on the new seagate 3TB thunderbolt model that they conveniently had one of on the shelf.

I think I'm going to be ok with the 256GB.. though if they do get a 512 in the next couple weeks I will probably still pick it up.

Question, Did you price match Apple's student price on your sale prior to the Best Buy sale?

I got mine matched to $2600 (Apple's Education price). It'd be awesome if they knock another $140 off because of their sale, but that's just wishful thinking.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Rumor about SSD upgrades for rMBP from macrumors forum. Consistent with what OWC has said on their blog.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1397200
Don't expect them to be cheap
as it stands apple's upgrade price of 600 for the next tier model is cheaper than the 512 equiv upgrade they have for the Air.

GF's new rMBP. First Mac.
[inappropriate] Unboxing pics pls [/inappropriate]

Question, Did you price match Apple's student price on your sale prior to the Best Buy sale?
I got mine matched to $2600 (Apple's Education price). It'd be awesome if they knock another $140 off because of their sale, but that's just wishful thinking.
This is my question too. except I would turn around and try to price match student-price apple care with the 150 Gift card after I got it :eek:

asdad123

Rumor about SSD upgrades for rMBP from macrumors forum. Consistent with what OWC has said on their blog.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1397200
Don't expect them to be cheap
as it stands apple's upgrade price of 600 for the next tier model is cheaper than the 512 equiv upgrade they have for the Air.

[inappropriate] Unboxing pics pls [/inappropriate]

This is my question too. except I would turn around and try to price match student-price apple care with the 150 Gift card after I got it :eek:

The $150 gift card offer is over. A person on macrumors has a friend who works at Best Buy and rang up the sku for the gift card. It is now invalid.

If I can get the Student Discount Plus the extra $140 off, Ill be pretty stocked.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The $150 gift card offer is over. A person on macrumors has a friend who works at Best Buy and rang up the sku for the gift card. It is now invalid.

If I can get the Student Discount Plus the extra $140 off, Ill be pretty stocked.

Ah thanks!

no.. I'm not a student.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It's worth asking. I just went to the local BB and they agreed to price match the student price and the iTunes GC. (100 not 150)

Again if people are looking for the 256 w/ 8GB it's probably a better place to check than apple.

EDIT: Retina MBPs already showing up on craigs list, some people apparently bought 8GB right away while waiting for their 16GB? LOL

m0dus

Banned
Realized the other day that I have an absolutely pristine mid 2010 Core i7 Macbook Pro MC373LL/A that is barely used, STILL sitting in the box with in all the original packaging, that I have no clue what to do with. I bought it mid 2010, then had problems that resulted in a complete product replacement with a new unit in early 2011, but shortly after the new Airs came out and I switched to that after barely touching the pro.

I don't like putzing around with craigslist, and I have no idea how much I should ask.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Realized the other day that I have an absolutely pristine mid 2010 Core i7 Macbook Pro MC373LL/A that is barely used, STILL sitting in the box with in all the original packaging, that I have no clue what to do with. I bought it mid 2010, then had problems that resulted in a complete product replacement with a new unit in early 2011, but shortly after the new Airs came out and I switched to that after barely touching the pro.

I don't like putzing around with craigslist, and I have no idea how much I should ask.

Someone directed me to this earlier in the thread: http://www.mac2sell.net/

1,310 is what it gave me for yours (but is guessed clock speed and RAM). I have found that most reasonable Craigslist ads come in under these estimates, though how much depends on condition. I have been doing a lot of shopping for used/refurb Macbook Pros online so I have been on that site and craigslist A LOT ;)

hit me a PM or post in buy sell trade if you are thinking of getting rid of it on GAF

rezuth

Feel free to give me it or check out http://www.mac2sell.net/ for a price estimation. I would put it slightly below that if you wanna get rid off it fast.

Nitsuj23

Just get a NAS. I just picked up a Synology and have been streaming stuff to my MBA no problem.

How's it work with iTunes?

Would I still be able to use iTunes Match if all my music is stored on a NAS drive?

I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to NAS drives, but it seems like a better alternative to just getting an external drive.

Thinking of buying the non Retina 15" MacbookPro 2.6 in a couple days, does anyone have any reviews/points to make about it? I'm wondering if the cooling is still same as the 2010/2011 models, I know they tend to over heat after some use.

Had a look online and but I can't seem to find any proper usage reviews.

Macrumors is now reporting that the iMac update will be out this october. I am still holding out hope for Mountain Lion release day desktop refresh.

r1chard

Got my new Air today!!!

Only disappointment is that I didn't fully realise before buying that it only has one thunderbolt port. I get to use a monitor or ethernet :-(

How's it work with iTunes?

Would I still be able to use iTunes Match if all my music is stored on a NAS drive?

I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to NAS drives, but it seems like a better alternative to just getting an external drive.

Uh, I know that Synology has an iTunes service that streams out the library. As for the other stuff, someone else would have to chime in sorry.

Mairu

That was going to be my next stop, yeah. Any recommendations / warnings appreciated :)

There is probably both a cheaper (as mentioned above) and better (usb3) alternative, but this is what I use and I've never had any issues, just had to download the drivers for it. I have a 2011 MBA so there's probably a USB 3.0 version you could get.

BearChair

I got a new 13" MacBook Pro about two weeks ago, and I'd like to get some mac games. I know there is not a lot out there. Are there any good sites to see a wider availability. I've looked at Steam and Amazon, but I'd like to find a blog I can follow.

This might be a crazy question, but are there any good JRPGs or dungeon crawlers on the Mac?

I got a new 13" MacBook Pro about two weeks ago, and I'd like to get some mac games. I know there is not a lot out there. Are there any good sites to see a wider availability. I've looked at Steam and Amazon, but I'd like to find a blog I can follow.

This might be a crazy question, but are there any good JRPGs or dungeon crawlers on the Mac?

Dredmor is what kills my Mac time.

caramac

OCTOBER??

Edit: seems like the source isn't that reliable anyway.

Sorry for you guys waiting for the new iMacs if true. I bought a new 27in iMac in March after my windows PC that I built in 2004 finally died on me but I was always aware the refresh could only be a matter of weeks away. It makes me feel a little better.

Here's a question posed on AppleInsider:

2012 Mini. If a discrete graphics model is made, what should they put in it?

Ideally a 1 GB 640M would be nice but they probably won't do that.

Pachimari

Why is my MacBook Air's (2011) many times active, making it loud? It can't be because of the tabs in my browser, as I have like around 5 websites open at once. And then 2 Pages documents and that's it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is my MacBook Air's (2011) many times active, making it loud? It can't be because of the tabs in my browser, as I have like around 5 websites open at once. And then 2 Pages documents and that's it.

Check Activity Monitor for anything that might be spinning up the fan or using lots of CPU.

The most common culprit is Flash Player.

Top Bottom