• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

dwebo

you can disable flash in chrome://plugins if you never want to use it

or go to settings>privacy>content settings>plugins and choose click to play

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, just as I thought, it's Flash Player that Chrome uses that takes up CPU.

Can one delete 'Shockwave Flash'?

Install the flashblock addon for chrome. It prevents any flash content from activating without your permission. I have used it for a long time, because I absolutely loathe flash as well.

Pachimari

Not from Chrome.
Oh okay.

you can disable flash in chrome://plugins if you never want to use it

or go to settings>privacy>content settings>plugins and choose click to play
Thanks for the suggestion.

Install the flashblock addon for chrome. It prevents any flash content from activating without your permission. I have used it for a long time, because I absolutely loathe flash as well.
Is it the one by 'josorek'? Chrome Extension.

I almost shifted to Safari..

EDIT:
That extension seem to have worked tremendously, it's dead silent - I can finally hear the mosquitos here again.

Ambitious

Finally my MBPR has been shipped. According to the tracking information I will receive it next friday, but back then my iPad was delivered about a week before the supposed delivery date. I'm excited.

Erasus

Oh okay.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it the one by 'josorek'? Chrome Extension.

I almost shifted to Safari..

EDIT:
That extension seem to have worked tremendously, it's dead silent - I can finally hear the mosquitos here again.

Why not use adblock instead, and then whitelist sites? That would but even less of a strain on page loads. Or combine the 2 esxtensions.

giga

Best buy just cut prices on the new airs and pro. Best prices I've seen yet. In-store only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...050001&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing&gf=y

11" Air starts at $950
13" Air and Pro starts at $1140
15" Pro starts at $1700
15" Retina starts at $2090

+tax. Students get a $150 gift card. (Need ID. Ask for it.)

Edit: Welp. They wouldn't do both the sale price and gc. It's either or.
The $150 GC offer for students is gone, but they're now doing a $100 off coupon that you get from here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/College-Student-Deals/pcmcat276200050000.c?id=pcmcat276200050000

Need a .edu email and student ID. They refunded my Air and gc and recharged my card with the $100 off this time. Total price after tax for a base 13" Air came out to 1100.

rezuth

Going to pick up a MBA for portability but I'm kinda thinking I might go with MBP. Anyone feel limited by the processing power in the MBA? Mathematica and stuff like that.

JackEtc

First time missing a disk drive happened today with my MBPr, haha.

Me: "So how about this weekend, wanna go see a movie?"
Girl: "Sure, sounds like fun. Remember to bring me that mixtape of music you like"
Me: "Yeah sure, I'll burn you a C-......shit"

Sounds like a feature that the Apple ethernet adapter should've had built in...

Probably a power issue..

If it's bus powered, you can only have one external device that isn't powered by it's own power source.

That's why the seagate goflex portable adapter only has a single port, and that is why the Ethernet adapter doesn't have an additional port for daisy chaining.

All of the devices with dual ports use an external power source.

r1chard

Probably a power issue..

If it's bus powered, you can only have one external device that isn't powered by it's own power source.

That's why the seagate goflex portable adapter only has a single port, and that is why the Ethernet adapter doesn't have an additional port for daisy chaining.

All of the devices with dual ports use an external power source.
Damn, that's a sad omission from the design :-(

Damn, that's a sad omission from the design :-(

I agree; I mean Robobandit is right in that you wouldn't be able to power multiple TB devices from a single loop, but ethernet, Monitors, that sort of stuff is self-powered. I'm quite surprised Apple doesn't even sell a simple Y-splitter.

There are neat docking stations like the Matrox DS1 that would do what you need (it has ethernet, DVI, USB, etc. all linked to one TB port) but it's hardly cheap.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I agree; I mean Robobandit is right in that you wouldn't be able to power multiple TB devices from a single loop, but ethernet, Monitors, that sort of stuff is self-powered. I'm quite surprised Apple doesn't even sell a simple Y-splitter.

There are neat docking stations like the Matrox DS1 that would do what you need (it has ethernet, DVI, USB, etc. all linked to one TB port) but it's hardly cheap.

I am hoping other monitor makers jump on board apple's example with the TB display functionality. A non apple display with the matrox is still cheaper than the TB display, but that isn't a "clean" solution from a wires and power source standpoint.

Tobor

Girl: "Sure, sounds like fun. Remember to bring me that mixtape of music you like"

Buy a cheap external drive and leave it in a drawer for the once in a blue moon that you need one. I have one for handbraking the occasional DVD.

As for burning discs, I havent done that in years. I threw 4 spindles full of blank DVDs in the trash when I moved last month.

JackEtc

Buy a cheap external drive and leave it in a drawer for the once in a blue moon that you need one. I have one for handbraking the occasional DVD.

As for burning discs, I havent done that in years. I threw 4 spindles full of blank DVDs in the trash when I moved last month.
Yeah, just ordered an external drive, figured I'd have to get one eventually.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I hope there is news about the new iMac or Cinema Displays at the end of this month.

If the iMac is enticing enough I might get that, if not I'll probably get an Apple Cinema Display to use with my PC and then next year I'll get a revised Macbook Pro to use with the cinema display and a henge dock.

mj1108

posting from my new Macbook Air (and first macbook ever). Wow, what is this new world that I am in!

You will probably find it will be the best computer you've ever owned.

Seriously.

I'm typing this on my 2011 MBA and LOVE it to death. The next system I buy will an update to the MBA....but I don't see that happening for at least another year or two at least.

Zutroy

From Macrumors forum:

Retina-updated or available in nightly build

See also: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/313...isplay-support
Transmission 2.6
1Password (in beta version)
Sparrow
Parallels
VLC
Reeder
Coda 2
Transmit
Twitterific
Sublime Text 2
Xcode
Layer Cake
Google Chrome (in nightly build and dev channel)
Cyberduck (in nightly)

Near-future intentions of update announced or confirmed
DayOne (near future intentions confirmed via email)
Scrivener (see http://www.literatureandlatte.com/fo...=18916#p129555)
Dashlane (near future intentions confirmed via Twitter)
Pixelmator (near future intentions confirmed via email)
Adobe Photoshop CS6 (near future intentions announced; unknown for rest of suite)
Omni Group suite (near future intentions confirmed)
Boxer (near future intentions confirmed via email)
Tweetbot
Espresso (near future intentions confirmed via email)

Text rendering crisp with Retina
Linkinus
Netbeans
Adium
Papers2
iTerm2
Skim
BibDesk
Camino
Path Finder
MacVim
EMacs
Echofon
OpenOffice
Eclipse (see: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=382972)
Intellij (see: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-87500)
Java 6 apps, generally (see: http://lists.apple.com/archives/java.../msg00069.html)

Got my rMBP yesterday. Love it!

Karud

Glad to see more programs being updated. Now, if only MS Office would get updated...still looks terrible -_-

I second this. The text really looks very pixelated and I need to use Office every single day. I also would appreciate a firefox retina beta because I can't push myself to use another browser.

DemonNite

I know, right? :)

You will probably find it will be the best computer you've ever owned.

Seriously.

I'm typing this on my 2011 MBA and LOVE it to death. The next system I buy will an update to the MBA....but I don't see that happening for at least another year or two at least.

You guys were not wrong.. why did it take me this long to convince myself that I needed a mac?

The magic trackpad is magic, the keyboard feels beautiful to type on, and the sound it makes when I'm browsing Gaf is... I don't know! I cant hear it!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Yep, same thing happened to me today while trying to install CS4 on my Air. I called up my tech friend who had a $30 Dell drive sitting in a drawer. Worked like a charm.

DemonNite

I am so worried about the amount of clicking I'm doing on the trackpad for usual tasks and considering picking up a mouse for it to use at home. Am I just being paranoid?

Ovid

You guys were not wrong.. why did it take me this long to convince myself that I needed a mac?

The magic trackpad is magic, the keyboard feels beautiful to type on, and the sound it makes when I'm browsing Gaf is... I don't know! I cant hear it!
Haha...it's a great laptop. Even after getting the 2012 Macbook Air I still use my iPad 90% of the time. Weird huh? Apple has impressed me so much that I decided to pick up an iPhone this week. I can't wait for it to be delivered next week. I think I'm turning into a fanboy.

Yes.

Tap to click is actually good in OSX if you want to try that.
Agreed.

Someone talk me out of installing Civ 5 on my 11 inch Air. Just one more turn... one more!

If it's a 2011 Air then your system is going to run pretty hot even on low settings. Can't say that stopped me from playing either, but as the keys gradually heat up you'll be able to feel the game telling you you've played too many turns ;)

bro1

Banned
$2300 later and we have two iPads, an appletv, and a 21.5 iMac with 20 gigs of ram plus an airport extreme. Already have iPhones so living la vita apple

Alchemy

If it's a 2011 Air then your system is going to run pretty hot even on low settings. Can't say that stopped me from playing either, but as the keys gradually heat up you'll be able to feel the game telling you you've played too many turns ;)

This is my 2012 Air. I wanted to keep it more of a productive machine, with document editors, media creation suites, Xcode, and some education software. But Civ 5 has its hooks in me after I got it from Amazon for cheap. Probably getting the expansion after I finished my current game.

LCfiner

I feel people get a little freaked out about RAM.

I mean, my windows work machine (and most of my coworkers) are using 32 bit Windows XP and we run complex CAD modelling software and have a bunch of other stuff running. All with 4 GB of RAM. We’re able to work. if something feels slow, it’s more the CPU/ GPU that is bringing things down, not the amount of RAM.

8 GB is better, sure, but unless you’re editing massive stuff in final cut pro and editing massive images in photoshop, the need for 8 GB is not as great as some might think. the fast SSD makes paging less annoying, too.

I remember using a 2 GB macbook air for about 2 weeks and it was plenty fast (compared to an i5 iMac with 12 GB of RAM) with a bunch of Safari tabs open, iTunes, twitter, iPhoto, omnifocus, etc all running at once.

The one occasion where I have personally noted that more than 8 GB made a huge difference was in running Windows in a Parallels VM. the start up of the VM would take forever and slow the Mac down to a halt until I got 12 GB in my machine. Now it’s fine.

Ovid

Is 8GB of RAM needed in a Macbook Air or will 4GB be fine?
I had 4GB but returned it for the 8GB. I had the 4GB for a little over a week and it was fine. Wanted the 8GB because I'm gonna hold onto this laptop for long, long time. I can honestly say that I see no difference whatsoever in performance between the two.

Blackhead

Redarse
From Macrumors forum:

Retina-updated or available in nightly build

See also: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/313...isplay-support

Got my rMBP yesterday. Love it!
Got mine today (friday). I have my tiny list of apps that I'd like to see updated asap and I'll start pestering the developers now.
Glad to see more programs being updated. Now, if only MS Office would get updated...still looks terrible -_-
I second this. The text really looks very pixelated and I need to use Office every single day. I also would appreciate a firefox retina beta because I can't push myself to use another browser.
I'm going to try running it in a virtual machine
I feel people get a little freaked out about RAM.

I mean, my windows work machine (and most of my coworkers) are using 32 bit Windows XP and we run complex CAD modelling software and have a bunch of other stuff running...
Windows has usually supported machines with lower specs, and provided better performance, than the comparable Mac OS X versions :/. Windows 7 requires a minimum of 1GB of RAM while Mac OS X Lion requires a minimum of 2GB. Plus certain programs just run better on Windows *cough* flash *cough*

You guys see the kickstarter for the nifty mini drive?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive

Pretty cool idea, it's a Micro SD card adapter that sits flush in the Air and Pro.
nice, thanks for the link

I had 4GB but returned it for the 8GB. I had the 4GB for a little over a week and it was fine. Wanted the 8GB because I'm gonna hold onto this laptop for long, long time. I can honestly say that I see no difference whatsoever in performance between the two.

I am happy to hear that.

My impatience got the best of me two weeks ago. I did not want to wait two weeks for 8GB model and went with the stock 13" MBA instead. I absolutely love this laptop.

Top Bottom