• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Chris R

I'm playing Diablo 3 on the new MBP @ full screen windowed mode, and if I switch to another program (chrome) it becomes extremely laggy, is this fixable?

Does it become laggy or does the framerate drop because you have the background FPS set to like 8 or less? Try changing that and see if it is better.

Shadow780

Does it become laggy or does the framerate drop because you have the background FPS set to like 8 or less? Try changing that and see if it is better.

oops, I mean if I switch to anything when Diablo is running everything else becomes laggy, like chrome. Diablo itself is fine and I've set the background fps to 60.

Hoo-doo

Banned
oops, I mean if I switch to anything when Diablo is running everything else becomes laggy, like chrome. Diablo itself is fine and I've set the background fps to 60.

Maybe that's the problem right here. Why would you need Diablo to run @60fps when it's running in the background?

Shadow780

Maybe that's the problem right here. Why would you need Diablo to run @60fps when it's running in the background?

Oh, cuz i have it hook it up to an iMac so I have the upper screen running Diablo and the laptop running browser. If I set the background fps too low will it delay the display of chats in Diablo 3?

I have a similar setup for the PC version and it seems to work fine with bg fps of 60.

edit: just tried setting it to 3fps and it's fine now. Thanks!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oh, cuz i have it hook it up to an iMac so I have the upper screen running Diablo and the laptop running browser. If I set the background fps too low will it delay the display of chats in Diablo 3?

I have a similar setup for the PC version and it seems to work fine with bg fps of 60.

I don't know, you should give it a shot.
On my gaming PC I have the background fps @ 6 or so, but then again i'm not rocking the multi-monitor setup.

I don't think it'll delay your chats that much though, seeing as it's still refreshing multiple times a second.

Zutroy

So although my order still says processing, the gift card part of my order now shows a logo of a delivery box. The rMBP still shows the normal logo. Does that means it's shipping soon? Does it? Does it?

EXCITED!

E: Nooo! It changed back! =(

pwack

What is the standard/cheapest/easiest solution for network storage to use in conjunction with a MacBook Air? (Meaning large size storage, ~ 500GB, so not Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) I am thinking of purchasing a 13 incher, and will mainly use the storage for photo library and possibly a music library (if read speeds are sufficient for music playback).

I do not have a desktop computer to use as a remote disk, but I do use a Airport Express for networking. If I stick a USB drive onto the Airport Express and use Apple's Airport Drive program, will that be fast enough/reliable enough for my purposes? Is there a better solution?

What is the standard/cheapest/easiest solution for network storage to use in conjunction with a MacBook Air? (Meaning large size storage, ~ 500GB, so not Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) I am thinking of purchasing a 13 incher, and will mainly use the storage for photo library and possibly a music library (if read speeds are sufficient for music playback).

I do not have a desktop computer to use as a remote disk, but I do use a Airport Express for networking. If I stick a USB drive onto the Airport Express and use Apple's Airport Drive program, will that be fast enough/reliable enough for my purposes? Is there a better solution?

Are you wanting something just home network-attached, or something that is also suited for Internet-based access?

Music playback would not be a problem with your solution since even lossless audio is comparatively low-bitrate.

bionic77

I am not sure network storage will be fast enough for photos unless it is really fast ethernet. I don't think wireless is going to cut it, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

I personally use a USB 3.0 portable 1 TB drive that i keep all of my media on. The SSD I have is not big enough.

Stupid question - Does the Apple Magic Trackpad work with MacBooks as well?

My plan is to hook my macbook pro to my tv which is below my desk and then
I would like to control it from my bed. Is the trackpad my solution.

Yes it does work. It's just bluetooth. I use one as well when my MBP is docked to an external monitor.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is the MBPr in retail stores yet?

It works with MacBooks.
It doesn't work so well on a bed or held in the air.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What say you, AppleGAF experts.

$2,350 (after tax and student price):
Retina MBP 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB, 256SSD

$1,400 (total, used, good condition):
Used Late 2011 2.4Ghz i7, 8GB, 750HDD

After tax that is a difference of about $1,000. (!). Then I could wait to upgrade to rev 2 or 3 of the retina MBP. Like the early iPad or MacBook Air, I am concerned about gen1 getting outclassed as the move to make the product more established in the future.

After tax that is a difference of about $1,000. (!). Then I could wait to upgrade to rev 2 or 3 of the retina MBP. Like the early iPad or MacBook Air, I am concerned about gen1 getting outclassed as the move to make the product more established in the future.

Just my opinion but I have a late 2011 2.5ghz i7, 8GB, 256gb SSD and after using a retina for a few days I wasn't happy enough with it's current situation to upgrade. The framerate of certain animations is beaten by the 2011 model and software support is obviously lacking right now. It doesn't feel as polished an experience as the 2011 to me. Perhaps that's expected of a first generation product.

It's a lovely machine that's better than the 2011 in a lot of ways (screen, heat, size, weight), but Haswell and beyond will really make it shine and hopefully realise it's potential more fully. By then software support should be in full swing as well

If you could only buy one machine and have to use it for a few years, the retina is a no brainer, but if you could buy a cheaper mac now and get a v2 or 3 retina down the line I'd go with that.

DemonNite

so while I'm waiting for my Macbook Air to be delivered... I've been looking around for a solution for getting digital audio output from the Macbook Air into my audio setup so I can stream media from it at a higher quality.

1. I am aware that my MBA only has analog audio out from the jack.
  2. I will most likely plug my MBA into my TV using the VGA port at the back. The HDMI in my experience is a bit crappy (blurry) when plugging my PC into the TV.
  3. I can't use thunderbolt>HDMI to carry the audio as my audio setup won't have HDMI input (I also don't want the MBA to go directly into my TV as mention above)
  4. My audio setup has TOSLINK and Coaxial for digital input options.

So far I've only come across this USB audio adapter:
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx
SmNiz.jpg

Now it looks pretty perfect except but the optional driver to send the 5.1DD/DTS streams via USB/optional driver is for windows only! so it will only be useful in boot camp...

Has anyone found other solutions for getting digital output from an MBA? :(

LCfiner

so while I'm waiting for my Macbook Air to be delivered... I've been looking around for a solution for getting digital audio output from the Macbook Air into my audio setup so I can stream media from it at a higher quality.

1. I am aware that my MBA only has analog audio out from the jack.
  2. I will most likely plug my MBA into my TV using the VGA port at the back. The HDMI in my experience is a bit crappy (blurry) when plugging my PC into the TV.
  3. I can't use thunderbolt>HDMI to carry the audio as my audio setup won't have HDMI input (I also don't want the MBA to go directly into my TV as mention above)
  4. My audio setup has TOSLINK and Coaxial for digital input options.

So far I've only come across this USB audio adapter:
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx
SmNiz.jpg

Now it looks pretty perfect except but the optional driver to send the 5.1DD/DTS streams via USB/optional driver is for windows only! so it will only be useful in boot camp...

Has anyone found other solutions for getting digital output from an MBA? :(

The Fiio E10 is a USB DAC and amp that has a coax digital out in addition to an analog headphone port. so you could use it to get coax out to your audio setup or use it for 2 channel audio out from the headphone port.

~80 bucks.

there’s lots of USB DACs with headphone out or RCA (so it’s just 2 channel) but not as many USB to coax digital converters. I’ve used a lot of those but for 2 channel stuff only so I don’t know if the Fiio E10 has issues with 5.1 sound like the turtle beach product. but you could search around.

I’ve seen stuff on ebay for around 40 bucks. USB to coax converters from MUSE. but i can’t vouch for them.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just my opinion but I have a late 2011 2.5ghz i7, 8GB, 256gb SSD and after using a retina for a few days I wasn't happy enough with it's current situation to upgrade. The framerate of certain animations is beaten by the 2011 model and software support is obviously lacking right now. It doesn't feel as polished an experience as the 2011 to me. Perhaps that's expected of a first generation product.

It's a lovely machine that's better than the 2011 in a lot of ways (screen, heat, size, weight), but Haswell and beyond will really make it shine and hopefully realise it's potential more fully. By then software support should be in full swing as well

If you could only buy one machine and have to use it for a few years, the retina is a no brainer, but if you could buy a cheaper mac now and get a v2 or 3 retina down the line I'd go with that.
Thanks for the input! My third option is just to wait all together. I don't "need" a laptop per se.

DemonNite

The Fiio E10 is a USB DAC and amp that has a coax digital out in addition to an analog headphone port. so you could use it to get coax out to your audio setup or use it for 2 channel audio out from the headphone port.

~80 bucks.

there’s lots of USB DACs with headphone out or RCA (so it’s just 2 channel) but not as many USB to coax digital converters. I’ve used a lot of those but for 2 channel stuff only so I don’t know if the Fiio E10 has issues with 5.1 sound like the turtle beach product. but you could search around.

I’ve seen stuff on ebay for around 40 bucks. USB to coax converters from MUSE. but i can’t vouch for them.

Thanks for the advice on the Fiio E10. I think I did come across that too but didn't pay too much attention haha maybe I should!

Its a pretty shitty situation I got to try and get this all working and I didnt really expect it to be this difficult

I just ordered my new Macbook Pro 13" (tier 2) from Amazon with no tax and overnight shipping for $1,497. Got it today, and this is my first post, and first Mac (first Apple product for that matter).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I just ordered my new Macbook Pro 13" (tier 2) from Amazon with no tax and overnight shipping for $1,497. Got it today, and this is my first post, and first Mac (first Apple product for that matter).
Cool. This is a 15" with dedicated 1GB video card, so not apples to apples. Wish I could get by with an air or 13 pro but it wouldn't quite cut it.

Edit: Lol auto correct had my sloppy attempt at dedicated read "defecated"

Nitsuj23

I don't know, you should give it a shot.
On my gaming PC I have the background fps @ 6 or so, but then again i'm not rocking the multi-monitor setup.

I don't think it'll delay your chats that much though, seeing as it's still refreshing multiple times a second.
How do you change background FPS?

Midas

I'm glad that I went with 16 GB RAM for my MBP. Just running a few "standard" applications and two Safari windows, and my memory usage is already at 4 GB. Will be interesting to see what it is at when Photoshop and Illustrator is up and running.

DemonNite

Same here, also pulled the trigger on the Air after checking stores/Apples website for about a week lol. I'm going with the base 13 inch model though, with 8gigs of ram.

I'm expecting it in the first week of july, let me join your waiting game :(

mine just changed to Preparing for Shipment! not long to go now!

Interfectum

Considering getting the Macbook Pro Retina... question is there really that big of a difference between 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7? I'd be fine with the 256 GB HDD space, btw.

I'll be running Adobe CS6 and other productivity software along those lines (some 3D stuff) but barely any video processing.

Should I splurge for the 2.6 or am I just paying Apple tax with that?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Considering getting the Macbook Pro Retina... question is there really that big of a difference between 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7? I'd be fine with the 256 GB HDD space, btw.

I'll be running Adobe CS6 and other productivity software along those lines (some 3D stuff) but barely any video processing.

Should I splurge for the 2.6 or am I just paying Apple tax with that?

you'll be fine with the 2.3, but max out the RAM if you can.

Alchemy

Apparently Chrome crashing the new Airs is kind of common, so I think we're stuck waiting for an update before it becomes completely stable. I think the crash is related to downloading files since I locked up my Air with Chrome three times yesterday downloading files, but that was the first time I got a hard lock up in a while. The previous times it was when I was setting up my Air downloading lots of files,

JackEtc

Speaking of issues with Chrome, still having the problem where Chrome saves all my acconts and passwords, but not the "logged in" state of every site. I still have to go and click "log in here" and wait for everything to fill in, and then hit "log in" on every site each time I quit Chrome and relaunch it.

*sigh*

Speaking of issues with Chrome, still having the problem where Chrome saves all my acconts and passwords, but not the "logged in" state of every site. I still have to go and click "log in here" and wait for everything to fill in, and then hit "log in" on every site each time I quit Chrome and relaunch it.

*sigh*

Is it possible that your cookies have been corrupted or are being cleared?

JackEtc

Is it possible that your cookies have been corrupted or is being cleared?

I've read a couple of places that going in and manually deleting the cookies file may be a fix for it, but I cannot locate Chrome's cookie file. I found one poster with a solution, but he says the cookies file is located in "username->Library->Application Support->Google->Chrome->Default", but there is no Google folder inside Application Support for me. =\

EDIT: I fixed it! That Google folder was hidden, so I used an app called "EasyFind" to search for it, found it, deleted the cookies file, and granted I have to reenter all my saved shit, Chrome now keeps me logged into all my sites! Thanks for putting back on the path to find that Cookies file, Felix.

mine just changed to Preparing for Shipment! not long to go now!
It just changed to "items are being processed" for me. Does that mean they've received my money as well then? Delivery ETA is july 6-10.. Didn't pay by credit card, but old school transfer though. Not sure how long that takes.

Does anyone know of some nice backpack solutions for a 13 inch Air? I'm considering one of these two at the moment:

bonobo-series-bluelounge-3.jpg

Bluelounge - Bonobo

3154.123664_d.jpg

The North Face - Mondaze

They both fit up to 17 inch Macbooks though, so they might end up being a bit overkill. Any other ones I have to look for? It has to at least be able to carry some books, the Air & its peripherals, a lunch box and a bottle of water (max: €150).

JackEtc

It just changed to "items are being processed" for me. Does that mean they've received my money as well then? Delivery ETA is july 6-10.. Didn't pay by credit card, but old school transfer though. Not sure how long that takes.

Does anyone know of some nice backpack solutions for a 13 inch Air? I'm considering one of these two at the moment:

bonobo-series-bluelounge-3.jpg

Bluelounge - Bonobo

3154.123664_d.jpg

The North Face - Mondaze

They both fit up to 17 inch Macbooks though, so they might end up being a bit overkill. Any other ones I have to look for? It has to at least be able to carry some books, the Air & its peripherals, a lunch box and a bottle of water (max: €150).

I bought an Ogio Squadron RSS II backpack for college this fall because I needed a new backpack, and the most important thing to me was keeping my laptop safe. It might not be what you're looking for, but I've had it for about a week and a half, and I really like it. More importantly, I feel like it keeps my MBP very very safe.

Posting from my new base Retina MacBook Pro. They finally got 'em in at best buy so I jumped on it.

I was going back and fourth between this and the non-retina with faster processor for the same price. The deciding factor was firing up both versions side by side in the store and the difference was huge.

This is my first Mac and I think I am in love.

I had no issues with Chrome at first. Now? Different story.

Performance is sluggish. It's especially noticeable while scrolling through graphic intensive sites, such as Facebook (photos) or The Verge.

I have no issues in Safari.

RDreamer

Sold off my old Macbook Pro from 07 to a friend of mine for 300 bucks. Feels weird, but I have a sort of sentimental attachment to that thing, and it was strange watching it go. Felt like giving away my baby that I'd been through a lot with. Oh well, there are plenty of design projects in the future for this one. Maybe I'll bond with this, too :p

Top Bottom