• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

JackEtc

My God. Where was this for the last 3 years of uni?

Didn't see your question until now, thanks for answering, Fuu :)

Yeah, it's pretty incredible. Got the iPhone app too. Starting college this August, and I wanna try to be super on top of things. Dunno how well it'll go, but hopefully that'll help.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the difference?
  • Preview flashes the page number on screen each time when changing pages in fullscreen mode. I can't even fathom how the idea for such a feature could cross the mind of a reading app developer...
  • Preview's animation for page turns is nice at slow speeds but doesn't hold up well, unlike Skim's, when attempting to quickly flip through pages (both Preview and Skim are still way better at skimming that any iPad pdf reader though).
  • Skim offers the option of toggling Split PDF which is great for reading technical PDFs with lots of endnotes.

Great list! There's also BookReader, which looks rather nice. The settings seem to be buggy though (switching themes doesn't always work for me).
It's no longer working at all for me for some reason so didn't bother reviewing it :/
Edit: Although I searched high and low for a good ePub Mac reader it's actually the format I have the least desire to read on a computer (well, until ePub3 becomes standard). I'd suggest reading ePubs on a dedicated eReader for now.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Greyface: When you set up these display prefs for apps, how smooth is the transition between resolution changes when you're switching between apps? I'm assuming when it makes a change, it's changing it system-wide?

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting the Mac Book Pro Retina for school (research - bio-informatics). I was wondering is there a way to push the resolution to full Retina with OSX and with either Windows 7 running on parallel or through bootcamp?

Thanks. :)
With SwitchResX you can run at the native 2880x1800 resolution (I'm assuming that's what you're asking). I believe Win7 can also, but there was something about not new enough GeForce drivers out at launch. That's probably been fixed by now.

Blackhead

Redarse
Greyface: When you set up these display prefs for apps, how smooth is the transition between resolution changes when you're switching between apps? I'm assuming when it makes a change, it's changing it system-wide?
Yes, it's the standard system-wide resolution change. It's pretty fast and smooth on the rMBP; blink once and you might miss the blue flash. The rMBP launches Firefox faster than any other computer I've ever used so I don't mind the transition that much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also, how great are the trackpads on Macs? Is it even better than using an external mouse?
I haven't used an actual mouse since 2010 when I got my first MBP with magic trackpad. I actually find it hard to go back. I even use and PREFER to use my trackpad with FPS games. I have never been able to stand using a mouse in an FPS, but a trackpad comes second nature to me.

If that means anything.

Neptune

I received my Retina Macbook Pro in the mail before the weekend. It's my first Mac and I'm loving it, but there's one issue that's really bugging me - on my Norwegian keyboard layout, the apostrophe key ' is at the top left corner when it has always been right next to Return/Enter on PC keyboards my whole life, and it's really messing with my typing flow. I can get the apostrophe to appear on the key that has @ and * next to Return/Enter by pressing Alt, but is there any way to remap that key system-wide so that ' is the default?

Blackhead

Redarse
I received my Retina Macbook Pro in the mail before the weekend. It's my first Mac and I'm loving it, but there's one issue that's really bugging me - on my Norwegian keyboard layout, the apostrophe key ' is at the top left corner when it has always been right next to Return/Enter on PC keyboards my whole life, and it's really messing with my typing flow. I can get the apostrophe to appear on the key that has @ and * next to Return/Enter by pressing Alt, but is there any way to remap that key system-wide so that ' is the default?

KeyRemap4MacBook

Well MacGaf I've ordered a new non retina 15" Mbp which should arrive by the end of next week.

I went into the Sydney mac store after I ordered it to take a look at the Retina, and...

Oh holy crap, I wish I didn't!

The guy there even showed me how fast the thing was (he claimed that, even with an SSD installed, the non retina mac is slower than the retina mac) by launching every app (including all Adobe and Apple pro apps) in the Applications folder. I shit you not, they opened in about 20 seconds o_O

Now obviously if I install a SSD into mine, which I do plan on doing, it will be fast, but the guy there told me that because of the way they retina mac is put together it's still going to be faster. He argued that because the components are soldered to the main board this makes it faster. I hope he's bullshitting for my sake but I can kinda see some logic in that.

Any way I'm looking forward to my new machine.....

:/

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well MacGaf I've ordered a new non retina 15" Mbp which should arrive by the end of next week.

I went into the Sydney mac store after I ordered it to take a look at the Retina, and...

The guy there even showed me how fast the thing was (he claimed that, even with an SSD installed, the non retina mac is slower than the retina mac) by launching every app (including all Adobe and Apple pro apps) in the Applications folder. I shit you not, they opened in about 20 seconds o_O

Now obviously if I install a SSD into mine, which I do plan on doing, it will be fast, but the guy there told me that because of the way they retina mac is put together it's still going to be faster. He argued that because the components are soldered to the main board this makes it faster. I hope he's bullshitting for my sake but I can kinda see some logic in that.

You got 14 days to send it back.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

BWAHAHAHAHA. wait. hold on for a second.

BWAHAHAHAHA.

it's fast because you're dealing with a brand new Ivy Bridge chip paired with a highly-rated SATAIII SSD drive/controller (Samsung?). the way it's constructed has little to do with it.

BWAHAHAHAHA. wait. hold on for a second.

BWAHAHAHAHA.

it's fast because you're dealing with a brand new Ivy Bridge chip paired with a highly-rated SATAIII SSD drive/controller (Samsung?). the way it's constructed has little to do with it.

Agreed, although there's likely a difference due to the controller and firmware working tighter than it would for a drive you installed yourself. Even then, the difference will be negligible.

A good SATA 6Gb drive like the Samsung SSD 830 will play ball well with OS X and be pretty much just as fast. In fact I think that's the controller Apple ships with now.

giga

• Preview flashes the page number on screen each time when changing pages in fullscreen mode. I can't even fathom how the idea for such a feature could cross the mind of a reading app developer...
  • Preview's animation for page turns is nice at slow speeds but doesn't hold up well, unlike Skim's, when attempting to quickly flip through pages (both Preview and Skim are still way better at skimming that any iPad pdf reader though).
  • Skim offers the option of toggling Split PDF which is great for reading technical PDFs with lots of endnotes.

It's no longer working at all for me for some reason so didn't bother reviewing it :/
Edit: Although I searched high and low for a good ePub Mac reader it's actually the format I have the least desire to read on a computer (well, until ePub3 becomes standard). I'd suggest reading ePubs on a dedicated eReader for now.
Split PDF is neat, but I can't say the first two bother me because I don't even read PDFs at full screen. I just use plain jane scrolling, rather than turning pages.

The only way it could have been faster was if the SSD was connected directly through PCI-E. That's coming soon, but right now they're still going through SATA. So if you buy a Samsung 830 and put it in a regular MBP it should be pretty similar.

The only way it could have been faster was if the SSD was connected directly through PCI-E. That's coming soon, but right now they're still going through SATA. So if you buy a Samsung 830 and put it in a regular MBP it should be pretty similar.

This is good to know. I was planning on buying a SSD and making the current 750gb drive a data drive using a cady.

So from reading your comments you guys mostly recon a Samsung will be best suited? My original intention was to buy the Crucial M4, and I think the Samsung is more expensive here.

Glad I wasn't wrong in thinking the performance wouldn't be less than the retina, the guy at the store clearly has the Apple hype drilled into him.

I need some help.

I am moving next week and must switch ISP's in the process. Comcast installed software on my old computer when setting up my internet service, but that will not be an option for Time Warner now - my MBA does not have the disc drive or ethernet port.

How is the technician planning to setup a connection, now? The sales person I spoke to today was clueless and told me that as long as I have my "wi-fis" I'll be okay. I asked if that meant my router, and they said "I think so." LOL.

Zapages

Hey guys,

I apologize if some of my question seem very repetitive. I am coming from using Windows nearly all my life. Although I did use the old Macs back in middle school to program some simple games using Microworld, if anyone remembers that application. Anyway, I am thinking of buying a Mac Book Retina for school. I do Molecular and Bio-informatics research and I am basically looking at large sequences or doing 3D protein modeling. The data sets are in range of 7 to 15 GB at a time. My mentor (professor) recommended that I looking into and seriously consider buying the new Mac Book Pro with Retina display to help me better aid my research needs.

My current laptop's resolution is 1650x1050 is about 4 years old: Windows 7 Pro Intel Core 2 Duo P8400(2.26GHz) 15.4", Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD (with only 30 GBs free) 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS...

It'll be nice as some applications that I could use are Mac only. While some of them are really old and not supported by Apple (ie. can only run in snow leopard or older). I was wondering with some finagling will they be able to run on the latest Apple OS Version?

This is all good and all. The problem is that I use tools that very Windows centric, which are dependent on Dos. It runs in the background of a real good Windows GUI. If I buy a MBPR, would it be able to run dos applications that run fine on my home Windows 7 Desktop.

Aside from this, the main question, is will I be able to install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the laptop with just the Windows 7 upgrade DVD through the Apple Super Drive. If so is it possible to have Parallel and bootcamp. Also how does right click work on Apple that running bootcamp or parallel. I am considering buying the following:

MBPR with
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
Apple USB SuperDrive
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

It'll be about 4000 dollars.

Thank you in advance.

-Zapages

I need some help.

I am moving next week and must switch ISP's in the process. Comcast installed software on my old computer when setting up my internet service, but that will not be an option for Time Warner now - my MBA does not have the disc drive or ethernet port.

How is the technician planning to setup a connection, now? The sales person I spoke to today was clueless and told me that as long as I have my "wi-fis" I'll be okay. I asked if that meant my router, and they said "I think so." LOL.

I'm assuming all the technician has to do is install the service in your new place, and all you have to do is connect to the router via wifi (password normally under the box).

Last time I used a disk all it was was a step by step instruction guide on how to self install the router to the wall and then to your machine. If the techie is doing this for you it will be easy to get your air working on the router.

Ambitious

According to Delivery Status Touch, my rMBP is now being shipped.. but Apples tracking site doesn't even show the name of the shipping company. Should be TNT, right? Their tracker shows no results for my reference number.

Yeah, I've got an iPad, but I didn't have it with me that day and I didn't want to read on my phone, that's why I was looking for a Mac ePub reader.
BookReader seems to be at least the most good-looking, but the bugs are annoying.

TUSR

Banned
Anyway, I am thinking of buying a Mac Book Retina for school. I do Molecular and Bio-informatics research and I am basically looking at large sequences or doing 3D protein modeling. The data sets are in range of 7 to 15 GB at a time. My mentor (professor) recommended that I looking into and seriously consider buying the new Mac Book Pro with Retina display to help me better aid my research needs.

You probably won't be wanting to read/write those off of your SSD. What type of files are the data sets?

It'll be nice as some applications that I could use are Mac only. While some of them are really old and not supported by Apple (ie. can only run in snow leopard or older). I was wondering with some finagling will they be able to run on the latest Apple OS Version?

Nothing immediately comes to my mind. If it runs on Snow Leopard it should run on Lion/ML... Unless its before the era of Intel chipsets being used it Macs, there really should no be a problem here.

This is all good and all. The problem is that I use tools that very Windows centric, which are dependent on Dos. It runs in the background of a real good Windows GUI. If I buy a MBPR, would it be able to run dos applications that run fine on my home Windows 7 Desktop.

Bootcamp is designed for this very purpose. Parallels will also be able to do this for you, with the amount of power you are getting out of the specs you listed Parallels won't even phase it.

Aside from this, the main question, is will I be able to install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the laptop with just the Windows 7 upgrade DVD through the Apple Super Drive. If so is it possible to have Parallel and bootcamp. Also how does right click work on Apple that running bootcamp or parallel. I am considering buying the following:

Going to assume no with the upgrade DVD.

You can have parallels and bootcamp, but I don't immediately see the need to have both.

Right click with a normal mouse or two fingers on the trackpad and click.

Zapages

You probably won't be wanting to read/write those off of your SSD. What type of files are the data sets?

Nothing immediately comes to my mind. If it runs on Snow Leopard it should run on Lion/ML... Unless its before the era of Intel chipsets being used it Macs, there really should no be a problem here.

Bootcamp is designed for this very purpose. Parallels will also be able to do this for you, with the amount of power you are getting out of the specs you listed Parallels won't even phase it.

Going to assume no with the upgrade DVD.

You can have parallels and bootcamp, but I don't immediately see the need to have both.

Right click with a normal mouse or two fingers on the trackpad and click.
These files are large tabbed text files... Some of them use unix based backend to work, which I try to emulate through Cygwin.

That will really suck if I am unable to install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the Mac Book Pro Retina. Could I install Windows XP Pro through bootcamp and then install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (ie. clean install, which I did back in the day on my old computer that I don't use anymore.).

Interesting, so the right click is two finger and click is the right click in Macs. Will that work through bootcamp.

TUSR

Banned
These files are large tabbed text files... Some of them use unix based backend to work, which I try to emulate through Cygwin.

That will really suck if I am unable to install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the Mac Book Pro Retina. Could I install Windows XP Pro through bootcamp and then install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (ie. clean install, which I did back in the day on my old computer that I don't use anymore.).

Interesting, so the right click is two finger and click is the right click in Macs. Will that work through bootcamp.

what you should do, is go to the online apple store chat and ask them if you can use the upgrader DVD.

Yeah all the bootcamp stuff has drivers.

Yes.
Though at least for me scrolling is unbearably jumpy on BC-Windows. (I don't know about gestures, sorry)

Try turning off cursor acceleration.

Zapages

Thanks guys. I went to my local Apple store a few days ago and the guy was unsure, but said it should work... :\ He was not very knowledgeable as far I can tell.

I wonder is it possible to install Windows XP (full) on boot camp and then install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit over it?

Blackhead

Redarse
Thanks guys. I went to my local Apple store a few days ago and the guy was unsure, but said it should work... :\ He was not very knowledgeable as far I can tell.

I wonder is it possible to install Windows XP (full) on boot camp and then install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit over it?

Apple doesn't support Windows XP for Bootcamp anymore. They dropped support at the OS X Lion launch.

Ambitious

Try turning off cursor acceleration.

I did. Didn't help.
Awkwardly, scrolling down is not as problematic as scrolling up. If I scroll down a bit and then try scrolling up again, it kinda locks in place and doesn't move up even a pixel. In the opposite way, this doesn't happen.
It's definitely no hardware issue as the trackpad works perfectly on OS X. Possibly something driver-related? I'll have a look into that.

TUSR

Banned
Apple doesn't support Windows XP for Bootcamp anymore. They dropped support at the OS X Lion launch.

So my Macbook Pro isn't running Windows XP? WEIRD.

Go online on the Apple store, and use the Live Chat. They will answer any of your questions, ive asked some pretty obscure questions and they have come through for me.

I did. Didn't help.
Awkwardly, scrolling down is not as problematic as scrolling up. If I scroll down a bit and then try scrolling up again, it kinda locks in place and doesn't move up even a pixel. In the opposite way, this doesn't happen.
It's definitely no hardware issue as the trackpad works perfectly on OS X. Possibly something driver-related? I'll have a look into that.

Which Macbook do you have?

SpacLock

I guess this is more of a general tech question rather than a Mac specific one, but I figure most of you could answer this easily.

Is there a way to allocate more bandwidth to a certain computer through my router? My roommate is always torrenting shit and It's making my web surfing a job at times, so I'd like to somehow even things up. I'm not too sure if it's even possible, but if it is could you direct me to some more info?

Hoo-doo

Banned
iStudiez pro is worth using? I bought it a long time ago, but it was a pain in the ass to organize and it crashed on me, making me lose everything I had pain-stakingly added to the calendar.

Might give it another shot it people are excited about it.

TUSR

Banned
I guess this is more of a general tech question rather than a Mac specific one, but I figure most of you could answer this easily.

Is there a way to allocate more bandwidth to a certain computer through my router? My roommate is always torrenting shit and It's making my web surfing a job at times, so I'd like to somehow even things up. I'm not too sure if it's even possible, but if it is could you direct me to some more info?

Yes, thats possible. You can limit other connections that are on a router. I don't immediately have a solution for you, but if you poke around and read through that thread and google a bit more about your router you should be set.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3322-42-bandwidth-limiting-home-network

JackEtc

iStudiez pro is worth using? I bought it a long time ago, but it was a pain in the ass to organize and it crashed on me, making me lose everything I had pain-stakingly added to the calendar.

Might give it another shot it people are excited about it.

I haven't used it since school hasn't started yet, but I played around with the sample data they provide you initially and I feel like it's worth at least giving a try. I saw praise for it everywhere I looked before buying it.

KeyRemap4MacBook, as mentioned, is a nice tool. Also check Ukelele, which allows you to create customized keyboard layouts so that you can switch between them using the input source selector in the menu. I've used it to make my own coding-optimized layout.

RangersFan

so i've been having a lot of fun with the hand me down ipad i got from my sister in law, it being my first apple computer of any kind I was curious as to what browser are most of you ipad users using? so far i've noticed safari doesn't block many ads, so I downloaded chrome. is it possible to install adblock extension to chrome? if so how? or is there a better browser out there for ipad that has good ad blocking?

Blackhead

Redarse
Is powernap working on the rMBP already? It feels like my caffeine + nosleep setup is broken. At weird moments the machine routes to start the screensaver and yet on the other hand WiFi is still on after I close the lid...

so i've been having a lot of fun with the hand me down ipad i got from my sister in law, it being my first apple computer of any kind I was curious as to what browser are most of you ipad users using? so far i've noticed safari doesn't block many ads, so I downloaded chrome. is it possible to install adblock extension to chrome? if so how? or is there a better browser out there for ipad that has good ad blocking?
Try the iOS thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=448523&page=1
Check out Grazing browser or iCab
Chrome is so stuttery on my new MBA compared to Safari and even Firefox---anyway to fix this or is it up to the Chrome devs?
There was s problem with the hardware acceleration and the chrome team is working with Apple to fix it

VPhys

Is it relatively easy to rip my movies using a mac and re-enocde them for viewing on an ipad.

I already see that Handbreak is available for mac, but what can I use to rip the movies. On the PC I use DVD decryptor.

I see this version for MAC, does it work just as well?

JackEtc

Quick question guys, is it worth having both Parallels installed AND a Windows 7 bootcamp partition, or do they both just do the same thing?

I already have a W7 bootcamped for games, and had forgotten I bought Parallels on Newegg when it was really cheap a while back. Worth having both?

VPhys

Handbrake will decrypt and encode dvds if you install this pkg: http://download.videolan.org/libdvdcss/last/macosx/

Perfect, thanks.

Has anyone switched from using a high resolution 24"+ monitor to the 15" RMBP. For the first time in a decade I'm thinking about using my laptop screen as my primary viewing device and I'm wondering if I will miss the screen size of an external display, as well as the lost vertical resolution. The RMBP can do 1900x1200 but most likely this will not be a usable text size so I'll be using 1680x1050 or possibly even the default "retina" mode.

Still looking for opinions on this. Does anyone still feel the need for an external display when using the rMBP?

I got this weird glitch going on with Lion where every time I shutdown and start up the mac the date is set back 6hrs and my internet doesn't connect automatically to my router I have to manually click it

Top Bottom