• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Well I had the lid closed so it was just powering one display. I figured it out though, there was some slider that shrunk the screen.

Having a 32 inch monitor really hurts the eyes...

I've hooked up girlfriend's Retina Macbook Pro to my 32 inch tv, but it seems like I can't see the edges...like I can't see the status bar at all right now.

Is that a OS thing or my TV?

Sorta both. You want to make sure your tv is set to its 1:1 pixel mapping mode, and then set the macs overscan setting accordingly for the best iq.

Well I had the lid closed so it was just powering one display. I figured it out though, there was some slider that shrunk the screen.

Having a 32 inch monitor really hurts the eyes...

Yeah, you can just use the overscan slider in OSX without touching the TV, but just be aware that in doing so, the image is getting scaled twice.

The reason I advocated the external option for the mechanical drive instead of adding it as a 2nd internal option is for convenience, primarily. Firewire800 has enough bandwidth to handle SATAII drives at nearly full speed and without the CPU utilization of USB 2.0. You can also daisy chain a bunch of enclosures together if you need to, as well as use it with any other Firewire-equipped Mac in your arsenal. And in case you need to service or replace the drive, you don't have to go through the hassle of removing the screen again.

For your machine I think you'll need to purchase one of these adapters to take the place of the Superdrive in your machine. The process is basically the same as adding a 2nd HDD to the non-Retina MBPs. For my machine I also opted for the single SSD and bought a Firewire external that gets plenty of rotation between my machines at home and work. YMMV, though.
Thanks for this. I'm still debating which option to choose as of yet. I really do like the idea of taking out my optical drive seeing as its almost completely useless to me in there and getting a USB enclosure for it and putting it in the closet out of my way for the rare time I may need to use it. The convenience of enclosing the mechanical externally and moving it between macs is something I also like. So, still have yet to decide on this but whatever I do decide on, I now know how to get it done and what parts I need to buy. Thanks again.

First I need to buy an SSD and with that I plan on ordering one from crucial sometime this weekend. Just gotta decide on a size.

Zapages

Well guys, I just ordered the MacBook Pro with Retina and suppose to come between Aug 9 - Aug 15. This will be my first Mac ever. Hope me luck when it comes and I am able to install Windows 7 Pro on it and go from there. :)

-Zapages

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've hooked up girlfriend's Retina Macbook Pro to my 32 inch tv, but it seems like I can't see the edges...like I can't see the status bar at all right now.

Is that a OS thing or my TV?
Check System Preferences > Displays for a slider that says "Underscan". My Mac mini has it when I'm connected via HDMI.

This is what it looks like for me on my Polaroid:
iD1iYxv1h9YZP.png

Edit: Oop. You got it! I'll leave this here for future generations.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
VGA/DVI don't carry an audio signal. Only Mini DP -> HDMI would work.
Well my mini has both a Mini DVI and HDMI, I use the HDMI port right now but audio doesn't transfer. Are you saying I should try to use my MiniDVI to HDMI connector instead? I thought it was just a stupid flaw with this TV. I'll have to try that since I hate having to use a separate Headphone to RCA connector as well as HDMI.

Well I hooked up a Retina MBP, so I thought HDMI -> HDMI would work? Idk
I always thought HDMI transferred audio as well. Which is why I was thinking it was just a flaw in the TV design. Or that the mini simply didn't send audio through HDMI for some reason.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh that should work. When you hook up the TV HDMI - HDMI, option-click on the volume icon in the menu, and see what device audio is being outputted to.
Damn. Then it IS my shitty TV being a jerk. Up until now I've just had HDMI for video and sent the audio right to the $50 receiver. I was hoping to have the audio go directly into the TV though so I could not be required to change the input on the audio receiver when I wanted to use my DVR. (Because the remote that it came with is a shitty little POS that takes expensive flat batteries and is lost somewhere.) Sucks too because the TV even has RCA inputs for the HDMI part, but when connected, I get no sound still. So I had thought it was either a flaw in the TV or the Mac mini.

I'll have to go play around because I'd much rather have less buttons to press just to change TV inputs. This is 2012. This shit should be seamless and integrated. Where's my Apple branded TV, Apple? ;-)

JackEtc

Shiiiiiiiit, I'm definitely seeing burn-in/ghosting on my MBP Retina.

I've had Preview open for about 25 minutes, not moving, importing videos in from my iPhone, and I clicked iTunes (which is set to open fullscreen), and when it went to that grey background that's behind full-screened apps, I could just barely see a small vertical line (the edge of where the white preview window was) still faded into the screen. I minimized it and when I next checked (about 2 minutes after minimizing it) I couldn't see it. Also just tried looking for it using where the edge of my Chrome window is, and I can see it too. Only when I'm really trying, though.

My serial number says the week of production for it was 24, and a lot of other Week 24's have had the same problem, apparently. I've seen a lot that are really really bad, and honestly, mine is barely noticeable.

For all I know, it could be normal for these types of panels. I have no clue, but fuck, fuck fuck fuck...What should I do? I have AppleCare, so I guess I could get a replacement, but I would imagine that's a pain in the ass, right? I leave for school on August 24th, which is really soon too, and I can't afford to be without a laptop....fuuuuuuuuck.

Just picked up my first MBP ever. Got the new retina one. I'm very excited but also a bit overwhelmed, can someone point me in the direction of a nice tutorial for someone that's digging into OSX for the first time?

I have an iPhone 4 and an Apple TV. Those are the only Apple products I own. Feel like a fish outta water a bit.

Cudder

Shiiiiiiiit, I'm definitely seeing burn-in/ghosting on my MBP Retina.

I've had Preview open for about 25 minutes, not moving, importing videos in from my iPhone, and I clicked iTunes (which is set to open fullscreen), and when it went to that grey background that's behind full-screened apps, I could just barely see a small vertical line (the edge of where the white preview window was) still faded into the screen. I minimized it and when I next checked (about 2 minutes after minimizing it) I couldn't see it. Also just tried looking for it using where the edge of my Chrome window is, and I can see it too. Only when I'm really trying, though.

My serial number says the week of production for it was 24, and a lot of other Week 24's have had the same problem, apparently. I've seen a lot that are really really bad, and honestly, mine is barely noticeable.

For all I know, it could be normal for these types of panels. I have no clue, but fuck, fuck fuck fuck...What should I do? I have AppleCare, so I guess I could get a replacement, but I would imagine that's a pain in the ass, right? I leave for school on August 24th, which is really soon too, and I can't afford to be without a laptop....fuuuuuuuuck.
Shit man, sounds like its not THAT big of a problem if it goes away after 2 minutes. Though, even if you didn't have AppleCare you could still get it fixed because its inside the 1 year warranty period, right?

My MBP gets here early August so hopefully I don't see any of this shit lol.

asdad123

So what's the consensus on the Thunderbolt Display?

I currently have a 27" samsung, but Im being pulled towards the Thunderbolt Display due to its built in USB ports and charging cable.

Would I be stupid to buy one instead of my current Samsung LED? lol.

Ephemeris

Ambitious

Just got my Retina MBP. What's the best way to migrate all my data (iTunes etc.)? I'd like to keep the system as clean as possible, so I'm not sure if I should use the migration assistent.

edit: Nah, I'm in no mood for all that hassle. Migration Assistent running now, will clean up after the ML upgrade.

By the way. something seems to be wrong with the webcam. In PhotoBooth and FaceTime, the preview is extremely blurry and low-res. Looks even worse than the webcam of my five year old MBP. I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally touch it when opening the lid and I can't see any fingerprints, so I don't know..

edit 2: Nice, it just froze when I attempted to quit the screensaver. The apple logo on the lid is lighted, the screen's black, nothing's happening. Fake edit: Horrible graphics bug right now, a lot of diagonal black lines all over the screen. Damn.

TUSR

Banned
Just got my Retina MBP. What's the best way to migrate all my data (iTunes etc.)? I'd like to keep the system as clean as possible, so I'm not sure if I should use the migration assistent.

edit: Nah, I'm in no mood for all that hassle. Migration Assistent running now, will clean up after the ML upgrade.

By the way. something seems to be wrong with the webcam. In PhotoBooth and FaceTime, the preview is extremely blurry and low-res. Looks even worse than the webcam of my five year old MBP. I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally touch it when opening the lid and I can't see any fingerprints, so I don't know..

edit 2: Nice, it just froze when I attempted to quit the screensaver. The apple logo on the lid is lighted, the screen's black, nothing's happening. Fake edit: Horrible graphics bug right now, a lot of diagonal black lines all over the screen. Damn.

Are you the worst computer user ever?

Also, ill drop this here.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/64900,64891,64889

The 2.3 and the 2.6 GHz i7 cost the exact same.

oatmeal

Banned
Question...

my wife's white macbook (refurbished, bought last July) is running out of its warranty in a week or so.

I can either buy the Apple Care through Apple (249) or I saw some on eBay (150).

How does it work if I buy on eBay?

dmshaposv

Hi guys.

I have a 2011 MBP. I love it and it does everything for me.

Just 2 queries:

1) I'm interested in selling and upgrading to 2012 15" full featured (non-retina). I need the CD/DVD drive since I still do a lot of burning - but mostly I need usb 3.0/HDMI in my life. Also nVidia 650m sounds better than Radeon 6750m - if anything for PhysX simulation.

2) I don't live in the U.S, and we dont have a traditonal "Apple store". I have bought my MBP from LA and will be travelling there soon. Would I be able to sell it back to Apple and buy the 2012 with additional money (the refurb market?) or I have to look for other means to sell it (craigslist, e.t.c.).

Thanks.

LCfiner

You cannot sell it back to Apple. You can try to sell it privately, of course. Apple’s refurbs are from people who returned items within their 14 day return window or who had defective items that were then fixed.

ericexpo

It's done just clicked place order on a MBPR, now it's time to play the waiting game.

Funny thing was, from last night to tonight shipping time went down a week.

Tabris

I made the switch from Windows to Mac yesterday when I bought a Macbook Pro Retina. It's weird, I'm loving some things but hating others right now, but I expected that as I knew there would be a bunch of small annoyances until I learn shortcuts and how to translate windows things into mac things.

Anyways, funny thing is I had my first crash, where it took out the menubar (similar to explorer crashes back in XP days), and the program that did it was when I closed out of Microsoft Remote Desktop. Kind of funny.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hey MacGAF, for those of you that have an Air, what do you have, 13" or 11"? Why did you choose what you chose? I'm deciding between those two right now. When I'm at home, if I need the space I can hook it up to an external monitor for doing spacious work, but on the go (this will be fore school), is there a discernible difference?

Newline

Hey MacGAF, for those of you that have an Air, what do you have, 13" or 11"? Why did you choose what you chose? I'm deciding between those two right now. When I'm at home, if I need the space I can hook it up to an external monitor for doing spacious work, but on the go (this will be fore school), is there a discernible difference?

Biggest difference to me is the aspect ratios. What do you like more? 16:9 or 16:10?

I personally like 16:10 better.

Jarmel

Banned
So apparently Apple won't honor my warranty on my Macbook Pro. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to a logicboard repair place that won't cost me 1k? I don't want someone to steal my Macbook.

Alchemy

11 inch is closer in size to a tablet, 13 inch is closer to a laptop. I got the 11 inch because I wanted portability and it is fantastic. It is easy enough to type on and the trackpad is also a good size. I really don't find myself missing the extra size at all.

LProtag

Looks like I'll be dipping into some of my savings to pick up a retina MBP soon! Pretty excited.

Especially since I'll actually be able to run some of these games that I picked up during the Steam sale. Gotta get Windows on there right away.

Mairu

I got the 13" Air.

I will never buy another laptop that isn't 13". It's the perfect size.

RangersFan

Hey guys, how should I go about recovering my apple ID. I dunno if apple is having issues with their login or my account did get hijacked, but I've tried logging in via itunes. Tried recovering my pw, tried via email (haven't received anything yet), tried answering security question (apparently my bday is incorrect). Whats the next step? Oddly enough I am able to download apps on my ipad, my pw works fine there...

Ovid

Hey guys, how should I go about recovering my apple ID. I dunno if apple is having issues with their login or my account did get hijacked, but I've tried logging in via itunes. Tried recovering my pw, tried via email (haven't received anything yet), tried answering security question (apparently my bday is incorrect). Whats the next step? Oddly enough I am able to download apps on my ipad, my pw works fine there...
I was having issues logging into iTunes last night as well. Might be an Apple thing. iTunes works fine on my iPad too.

RangersFan

I was having issues logging into iTunes last night as well. Might be an Apple thing. iTunes works fine on my iPad too.

whew, that's good to know. I normally wouldn't be paranoid about these things, but it's been quite a while since I logged into my apple ID via itunes, so it got me a bit worried once I was at the reset pw site, and it didn't recognize my bday nor was I getting the email.

Dreaver

I apologize for asking a similar question earlier, but I figured out I want to buy a 13-inch MBP now. I am torn between choosing either the i5 (cheap) or i7 (expensive) version. It's €325 ($400) difference here in Europe.

It's for school mostly, but I'll also Photoshop and do a lot of video editing (1080p, but not too many fancy effects). I plan to upgrade to 8GB RAM and adding a SSD later.

What would GAF say the i7 is worth $400 more? I can definitely afford it but as a student there are millions of other things I also want to buy. :|
E: More important actually, is the difference that big?

So apparently Apple won't honor my warranty on my Macbook Pro. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to a logicboard repair place that won't cost me 1k? I don't want someone to steal my Macbook.

Here's how it went down for me.

--

Me: 'My wife spilled ice tea on my laptop, what are my options'

Genius: 'Well lets take a look at it'

... (couple minutes later)

Genius: 'Well we will need to replace the logic board, and that will run 1k'

Me: '1k? Why don't I just go ahead and buy a whole fucking laptop for that much?' (This was my honest reaction to the price, but I'm pretty sure the fact that I looked really agitated is what got them to fix it)

Genius: 'Uhh, let me see what I can do'

Genius: 'We're gonna slip that under warranty for you this one time'

Me: 'K thanks.'

--

The price is honestly outrageous for the replacement. I am usually someone that would tell you that you should always be courteous to people but there is a time and place for getting a bit unhinged.

Edit: To be clear, I didn't expect them to fix it for free. It was my wife's fault, but I'm not going to turn down the free repair.

njean777

So what's the consensus on the Thunderbolt Display?

I currently have a 27" samsung, but Im being pulled towards the Thunderbolt Display due to its built in USB ports and charging cable.

Would I be stupid to buy one instead of my current Samsung LED? lol.

I would get the Mini-display 27in, apple still sells those. The reason being is because you can use those for multiple devices (pc,ps3,xbox, etc) unlike the thunderbolt display. I purchased the 27in mini display version (even though I have 2 thunderbolt ports) because I am going to be hooking up a ps3 to it also. You can not do this with the thunderbolt models.

Yoshiya

What would GAF say the i7 is worth $400 more? I can definitely afford it but as a student there are millions of other things I also want to buy. :|
E: More important actually, is the difference that big?

Buy the i5 and a third-party 256GB SSD instead, it's an upgrade you'll actually notice. I went for a last-gen i5, for a fantastic $1000 AU, and a Crucial M4. This thing flies.

Jarmel

Banned
Here's how it went down for me.

The price is honestly outrageous for the replacement. I am usually someone that would tell you that you should always be courteous to people but there is a time and place for getting a bit unhinged.

Edit: To be clear, I didn't expect them to fix it for free. It was my wife's fault, but I'm not going to turn down the free repair.

It's ridiculous. I don't remember spilling anything on it. They took it the back but the repair department refused to work on it. I don't mind paying three to four hundred, however paying 1200 is insane and stupid. Like I said, I learned two valuable lessons out of this. First is not getting Macbooks as I have no clue when their logic board is going to die. Second is getting something with liquid damage protection so I don't even have to worry about the possibility of this bullshit.

njean777

It's ridiculous. I don't remember spilling anything on it. They took it the back but the repair department refused to work on it. Like I said, I learned two valuable lessons out of this. First is not getting Macbooks as I have no clue when their logic board is going to die. Second is getting something with liquid damage protection so I don't even have to worry about the possibility of this bullshit.

I wouldn't not buy a macbook due to logic board issues, most laptops have these issues one time or another. Plus through my years of owning PC laptops, it is more of a hassle getting it repaired then any apple product.

Also Best Buy offers the protection you want.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Macbook Air 13" is the perfect size. Big enough to get actual work done without hooking it up to a monitor, battery life is superior, full-size trackpad, but it still slips inside any backpack or messenger bag like it's nothing.

I was going for the 11-incher initially, but I found the small wide screen to be quite the annoyance when browsing the web, editing documents or anything that requires proper vertical space.

Jarmel

Banned
I wouldn't not buy a macbook due to logic board issues, most laptops have these issues one time or another. Plus through my years of owning PC laptops, it is more of a hassle getting it repaired then any apple product.

Also Best Buy offers the protection you want.

It's just it seems that everytime I get a MBP with them, there is a solid chance of the logic board going up in flames. I mean all three had logic board issues but atleast with one of them I was able to get it repaired a few years back.

njean777

It's just it seems that everytime I get a MBP with them, there is a solid chance of the logic board going up in flames. I mean all three had logic board issues but atleast with one of them I was able to get it repaired a few years back.

Are they three new ones? or are they sent in and replaced? Sometimes you just have a lemon. It can happen with any hardware. I myself have never had one logic board fail on me in the last 5 years.

Dreaver

Buy the i5 and a third-party 256GB SSD instead, it's an upgrade you'll actually notice. I went for a last-gen i5, for a fantastic $1000 AU, and a Crucial M4. This thing flies.

Ah thanks. I think I'll do that. Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the ODD (I won't use it) with a SSD? Does that have any disadvantages (I assume no more warranty)? Because 256 SSD doesn't seems that much as HD video takes a lot of space, I'd rather keep the 500GB drive around for extra space.

Alchemy

Macbook Air 13" is the perfect size. Big enough to get actual work done without hooking it up to a monitor, battery life is superior, full-size trackpad, but it still slips inside any backpack or messenger bag like it's nothing.

I was going for the 11-incher initially, but I found the small wide screen to be quite the annoyance when browsing the web, editing documents or anything that requires proper vertical space.

I don't have any issues browsing the web on the 11 inch, haven't run into any websites that are too wide for the display.

Yoshiya

Ah thanks. I think I'll do that. Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the ODD (I won't use it) with a SSD? Does that have any disadvantages (I assume no more warranty)? Because 256 SSD doesn't seems that much as HD video takes a lot of space, I'd rather keep the 500GB drive around for extra space.

It's a more involved process and it'd complicate your warranty yeah. Some people seem to have compatibility issues with storage drives in the ODD bay but I think that's just older models...

I don't know if you guys remember my whole topcase replacement scenario but somehow I think my MacBook Pro has been running hotter than usual.

Maybe I'm just going crazy but here are the temps:
HD - 106
CPU - 160
Heatsink - 128
Enclosure Base - 97
Enclosure Base 2 - 97

GPU - 135
GPU Diode - 148
Heatsink B - 128
Mem Controller - 140

Tabris

I switched to a Mac on Thursday with a new Macbook Pro Retina, and then bought a Thunderbolt Display + Wireless Keyboard + Wireless Trackpad today. I am in love. I assumed I would struggle for the first while getting used to the Mac from Windows but it's not taking that long. I just watched a couple youtube videos on mac shortcuts and tips/tricks, and when you use Wireless Trackpad + a real mouse (that magic mouse is garbage and I didn't buy it) in tandem, it's so easy to perform the functions you want quickly. Everything between my phone, tablet and desktop is synced.

I was also worried about being able to do with work with it, but the built-in VPN functionality works perfectly with Cisco VPNs and Microsoft Remote Desktop, except for crashing once when closing, has worked like a charm. I'm in love!

I switched to a Mac on Thursday with a new Macbook Pro Retina, and then bought a Thunderbolt Display + Wireless Keyboard + Wireless Trackpad today. I am in love. I assumed I would struggle for the first while getting used to the Mac from Windows but it's not taking that long. I just watched a couple youtube videos on mac shortcuts and tips/tricks, and when you use Wireless Trackpad + a real mouse (that magic mouse is garbage and I didn't buy it) in tandem, it's so easy to perform the functions you want quickly. Everything between my phone, tablet and desktop is synced.

I was also worried about being able to do with work with it, but the built-in VPN functionality works perfectly with Cisco VPNs and Microsoft Remote Desktop, except for crashing once when closing, has worked like a charm. I'm in love!

Congrats! What a jump into the Mac world.

LCfiner

damn, they got you good. you’re in it deep with the display the same week as the MBPr (I can’t blame you. the 27” IPS display they use is real nice)

have fun!

Top Bottom