• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish Apple would hurry up and release the iTV already. I'm in the market for a new TV. But I don't think I can wait without any definite rumors. Plus, it'll probably be expensive for a 55".

We'll see. We all thought the iPad would be expensive, too.

I wish Apple would hurry up and release the iTV already. I'm in the market for a new TV. But I don't think I can wait without any definite rumors. Plus, it'll probably be expensive for a 55".

We'll see. We all thought the iPad would be expensive, too.

It's not gonna happen, man. Sorry.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just get an AppleTV and a regular high-end TV from someone like Sony or something. What would an Apple iTV even have that would make it worth it besides having an AppleTV built-in. There's way too much overhead for them to consider it.

DemonNite

Just ordered the 13" 2.0 GHz dual i7, 8GB ram Macbook Air for my first ever Mac. :)

Should be here next Thursday! Ordered through the student site, so saved $50 and got a $100 app gift card. (Is the card for Apps only, or Apple's store?)

That's exactly the same as mine for my first ever mac too. The gift card can only be used online I believe (mac store, AppStore and iTunes).

Congrats btw u will love it

TUSR

Banned
Just ordered the 13" 2.0 GHz dual i7, 8GB ram Macbook Air for my first ever Mac. :)

Should be here next Thursday! Ordered through the student site, so saved $50 and got a $100 app gift card. (Is the card for Apps only, or Apple's store?)

You actually save more than 50$, upgrades are cheaper and the initial price is cheaper when you use the education discount.

Let us know how you like it when you get it.

That's exactly the same as mine for my first ever mac too. The gift card can only be used online I believe (mac store, AppStore and iTunes).

Congrats btw u will love it

Hows the HD4000?

Just get an AppleTV and a regular high-end TV from someone like Sony or something. What would an Apple iTV even have that would make it worth it besides having an AppleTV built-in. There's way too much overhead for them to consider it.

Get the last gen Apple TV and JB it as a media center.

I hope they come out with Retina Display iMacs later this year, I plan on picking one up with my tax return in January.

Rumour is October, but I haven't heard any production/supplier rumours for a display of that size yet.

BigFwoosh

I've been holding off on installing Chrome on my Air due to the whole kernel panic problem from last month. Anybody know if the issue has been fixed? I've been looking around online but I haven't seen anything about a fix for it.

There won't be any Retina Mac anythings except for the Pro until AT LEAST Haswell drops.

Go use a retina Macbook Pro running on the integrated chipset. Let me tell you, it's no fun.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There won't be any Retina Mac anythings except for the Pro until AT LEAST Haswell drops.

Go use a retina Macbook Pro running on the integrated chipset. Let me tell you, it's no fun.
Works fine under ML with integrated, for what MBA is mostly used for. Web pages scroll smoothly, full screen transitions go smoothly. Sure, there's a hickup here and there when more overlayed things move around at the same time, but I don't think people using MBA would expect some kind of 60FPS perfection at all times out of their laptop. Battery life would be a bigger issue due to more/stronger backlight needed.

Anyway, I can sing some praises to MBPR. I installed Win7 on it, installed Alan wake, running it with everything maxed out in 720p on my TV through HDMI, and it's running at probably 40-60FPS all the time. I'm quite in an amazement. Oh yeah, I can even use the DS3 controller to play the game with motionjoy driver (wired only for now)

Under OSX which always lags behind Win7 in game performance, I tried running portal 2, and with everything maxed out it runs in 1080p at 40-60 FPS. HL2 EP2 is mostly solid 60FPS with those same settings. I'll try Portal 2 under Win 7 and I expect it to probably be rock solid 60. Also, 1920x1080 and even 1280x800 with some AA looks pretty damn great on this screen, despite being non-native resolution. I've never seen scaled game output look this good on any other display to be honest.

TUSR

Banned
Works fine under ML with integrated, for what MBA is mostly used for. Web pages scroll smoothly, full screen transitions go smoothly. Sure, there's a hickup here and there when more overlayed things move around at the same time, but I don't think people using MBA would expect some kind of 60FPS perfection at all times out of their laptop. Battery life would be a bigger issue due to more/stronger backlight needed.

Hes talking about the Retina Pro not the MBA...

Only spent a few hours on the MBP but man, such a sweet machine. Everything about it just screams quality. A good friend of mine who's been a Mac guy for quite a while is going to show me all the ins and outs of OSX.

I wonder just how many new Mac customers are like me that started off with the iPod and iPad and now are moving over to the Mac for their laptop/desktop needs.

PS. trackpad is awesome

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I wonder just how many new Mac customers are like me that started off with the iPod and iPad and now are moving over to the Mac for their laptop/desktop needs.
Guilty.

My laptop will be replaced with a Macbook Air in august for school. I'm still sticking with Windows for my main desktop, but I can't handle how shitty these manufacturers make their laptop build quality.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Only spent a few hours on the MBP but man, such a sweet machine. Everything about it just screams quality. A good friend of mine who's been a Mac guy for quite a while is going to show me all the ins and outs of OSX.

PS. trackpad is awesome

I started off with a fourth gen clickwheel iPod, followed it up with an iMac G4. Never looked back.

kruskev

is there any way to airplay video and audio separately in mountain lion? ( Video feed to hdtv via Apple TV and audio feed to my speakers via airport express) I don't think this was possible in lion.

PS. trackpad is awesome

I had a 5th gen iPod with click wheel, then an iPhone 3g and iPhone 4 which got me to buy the current model iPad. I picked up my first MacBook in June which was the rMBP. Now I'm pretty sure that my girlfriend is going to get me Apple TV for my birthday. I have been sucked into the Apple ecosystem hard.

mj1108

I've been holding off on installing Chrome on my Air due to the whole kernel panic problem from last month. Anybody know if the issue has been fixed? I've been looking around online but I haven't seen anything about a fix for it.

I'm running Chrome on my 2011 MBA with no issues. Is yours a new one?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not gonna happen, man. Sorry.
It's happening. I just don't know when.

That's a crappy interface. I'd rather just plug in my HTPC.

DemonNite

Hows the HD4000?

Depends what you need it for...works very well for my needs. No gaming on it but it runs diablo 3 fine and Unity3d angry bots game runs very smooth in the editor (90fps). Watching movies is perfect too.

I installed the dev channel version a while ago and have no crashes or hangs.

This version fixes a small sync problem (Issue: 134715) and contains a fix for Mac hardware with the Intel HD 4000 graphics chip (e.g. the new Macbook Airs), in order to prevent a resource leak which is causing a kernel panic on that hardware. This is a temporary change while we work on fixing the root cause of the issue.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/dev-channel-update_28.html

Ambitious

So I just played the Witcher (1) demo on my rMBP, Bootcamp Win7 64bit. Resolution set to 1900x1200 in both Windows and the game. Apart from some tearing it seems to run smoothly, but the fans go mad already during the loading screens before the menu appears. I've tried lower resolutions down to even 640x480, with no different results.

What's going on here? I assumed the MBP would be powerful enough to run a four year old game without making too much noise.

So bootcamp works pretty well? I would think with such a new system, there'd be driver/software issues. Anything wierd like that?

I don't have it installed yet, but would like to for some games. Back on the Lion side, I did notice the fans went crazy when I turned on Portal 2

So I just played the Witcher (1) demo on my rMBP, Bootcamp Win7 64bit. Resolution set to 1900x1200 in both Windows and the game. Apart from some tearing it seems to run smoothly, but the fans go mad already during the loading screens before the menu appears. I've tried lower resolutions down to even 640x480, with no different results.

What's going on here? I assumed the MBP would be powerful enough to run a four year old game without making too much noise.

DemonNite

erm wow... so I just received an email from Apple about AppleCare Protection on my new Macbook. I never bought any!!!

After searching around it seems like buying thru the student link gets you 3 years for free! awesome.

Zapages

erm wow... so I just received an email from Apple about AppleCare Protection on my new Macbook. I never bought any!!!

After searching around it seems like buying thru the student link gets you 3 years for free! awesome.
Really? I had to pay 2 hundred odd dollars...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

This is news to me.

I don't think it's right.

DemonNite

This is news to me.

I don't think it's right.

oyRPa.png

ok I figured it out... this is a UK Higher Education thing only.

Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage.

Thats on the page where you configure the Macbook. So basically it's still 1 year telephone support but who cares about that when its 3 years repairs? lol (you can make telephone support 3 years for £48)

TUSR

Banned
ok I figured it out... this is a UK Higher Education thing only.

Thats on the page where you configure the Macbook. So basically it's still 1 year telephone support but who cares about that when its 3 years repairs? lol (you can make telephone support 3 years for £48)

What the heck, UK High Education, like university?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nah. I started with an iMac DV+ in 2000 because I had been looking for a way out of Windows for years and OS X looked like the right direction. I didn't get my first iPod until I bought a 3rd gen off eBay in 2005.

That's a crappy interface. I'd rather just plug in my HTPC.
THe point is, any "Apple iTV" would just be a normal HDTV with an AppleTV built-in. Why even bother? If you really want an Apple TV and a HDTV, buy an Apple TV and an HDTV. There is no benefit to an Apple branded TV. At least until we actually see one and find out what exactly Steve Jobs "cracked".

I had an HDTV when they first came out. Used it for a couple years. Then sold it on eBay in less than 8 hours for more than half what I paid for it to someone who was very happy to get it. Had I known they'd be worth more if I waited for the AppleTV 2 to sell it.

I never even had that problem. Was it isolated to a certain Chrome version and model of Air?

Ambitious

So bootcamp works pretty well? I would think with such a new system, there'd be driver/software issues. Anything wierd like that?

I don't have it installed yet, but would like to for some games. Back on the Lion side, I did notice the fans went crazy when I turned on Portal 2

So far I haven't noticed any problems.
I hope it's a driver issue.. gaming was by far not my primary reason to get the MBP, but it's still a bit disappointing.

edit: Same result with the Steam version on OS X. Tearing + fans.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So far I haven't noticed any problems.
I hope it's a driver issue.. gaming was by far not my primary reason to get the MBP, but it's still a bit disappointing.

I made a thread about this a few days ago. My non-retina Macbook pro gets really loud with it's fans. It seems like it's normal when gaming.

Bboy AJ

THe point is, any "Apple iTV" would just be a normal HDTV with an AppleTV built-in. Why even bother? If you really want an Apple TV and a HDTV, buy an Apple TV and an HDTV. There is no benefit to an Apple branded TV. At least until we actually see one and find out what exactly Steve Jobs "cracked".
Exactly! That's why I want to see one before I buy a new TV. I doubt the iTV would just be an integrated Apple TV solution. That's not clever at all. If it were what is happening, then the TV would have been released ages ago.

I can tell you with confidence that there won't be an Apple branded television set in the next 3 years.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40047844&postcount=27 :)

3 years would mean I'll grab an HDTV tomorrow :/

linkboy

PS. trackpad is awesome

That's what happened to me. Started with an iPod Video (30GB), then moved up to a Classic (160GB), then made the jump to a 2006 MBP, and now I'm using an iPhone 4S and a 2007 MacBook Pro.

Zapages

Just got my shipping notice for my MBPr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3poU_0sK4

How long did it take? I ordered mine last week July 12th and it says 10th to 16th August for its arrival.

Also would you guys recommend getting Office for Mac vs iWorks? I was wondering what should I get with 100 dollar App card for Macs.

EDIT: What is best alternative to Photoshop on the Mac. I have Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Master Collection, but that is for windows only. :\ Gimp? I like to use the grid and place rulers for the work I do... The last time I checked with GIMP, that was not do able... How's Acorn or Pixelmator 2?

VPhys

PS. trackpad is awesome

That's me, first had an iPad 2 then sold it for the Asus transformer prime because I wanted the removable storage and more open OS. Then the iPad 3 came out and I couldn't resist that retina display as well as the smoothness of OS that I missed when using ice cream Sandwich.

Now I'm using the retina MacBook Pro as my main computer, reasons: build quality, trackpad, retina display, and mountain lion.

Las Vegas

Neo Member
Sometimes I wish I lived in the US, we don't have any refurbished Macs in my country (the Netherlands) :( Ah well, guess I'll have to dig deep and just go for it. I want my MBA!

Any 3D game is going to make the fans go crazy.

I can play something like Bastion without driving the fans.. but even Diablo III, which is far less demanding than The Witcher will make the fans spin up.

Top Bottom