• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

DemonNite

Yeah, that's reasonable. Did you run Diablo 3 on the Mac side or dual boot into Windows? Just curious how powerful it is. I know it's not going to play most future games, but the random Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 I'd like to at least be able to run for a while. :p

I tried the game on the Mac side. I have yet to put on bootcamp as I don't currently have another license to use :p

Heres a video someone did on a new MBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6TxB-gs74

Maximus.

What is your guys' opinion between a macbook air with i7 and 8gb ram upgrade vs a base macbook pro with retina. I would be using it for cs5.5+ and final cut x and the occasional gaming(dota 2, diablo 3, sc2). I am having a tough time deciding between the two!

JackEtc

What is your guys' opinion between a macbook air with i7 and 8gb ram upgrade vs a base macbook pro with retina. I would be using it for cs5.5+ and final cut x and the occasional gaming(dota 2, diablo 3, sc2). I am having a tough time deciding between the two!

Retina MBP, no doubt. It's got a dedicated GPU, not to mention way better heat management, which are both extremely beneficial for what you'll be doing.

Maximus.

Retina MBP, no doubt. It's got a dedicated GPU, not to mention way better heat management, which are both extremely beneficial for what you'll be doing.

I currently have a Mbp 2008 non unibody which is now sluggish. Its just a hard decision! Have you run cs5+ or final cut x on the retina?

Retina. Screen real estate is the key, plus HDMI out is handy, two thunderbolt ports for HDs and the gpu. I love the air, but the screen is too small for video work

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I'm also having trouble deciding between them. I like the lightness of the Air, but I want the power of the Retina Pro. I can't wait for a 13" Pro though so I'd have to decide whether 15" is too much. I still haven't seen one in person yet though. The local store hasn't received them yet, or at least hasn't told me yet. They said it'd be in their newsletter which hasn't arrived yet so I assume nope.

Can't wait to see it though. Either way I'm either getting an Air with everything maxed out (Except with a 256GB instead of 512GB) with the 2.0 i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, or a low-end Retina with 16GB RAM.

Money isn't the object, but time is. As much as I'd love to wait for the inevitable 13" Retina. (I am assuming it would have a real video card in it like the 15" does. Anyone think they might actually not put a dedicated card in? Does Retina run well enough on the 4000 to warrant them leaving it out?)

As soon as I get my hands on a Retina Pro I am going to test the shit out of it. The weight. The display. I want to see how non-Retina apps look. I want to see how well it runs at the 1680x1050 option. (As well as the higher one, but I'd probably be using the 1680 option full time.)

Does anyone here have a Retina Pro? Do you have any non-Retina apps that you can launch and take a full screen screenshot of? I've seen a lot of screenshots of native Retina apps, but none of apps that aren't Retina so I'd like to see what they look like. If you can take a few shots of various apps. Also, if someone can go to love2d.org and download Löve and just run it with the "No game" screen (The pink piggy animation) and take a screenshot. I am doing research for the people at the forum there as none of them have a Retina yet either.

Please, please, please? Thanks in advance!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

Retina for sure (with what you'll be using it for).

Maximus.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I think I will go with my original decision and stick to getting a retina :) the question now is 8gb good enough or should I go with 16...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I tried the game on the Mac side. I have yet to put on bootcamp as I don't currently have another license to use :p

Heres a video someone did on a new MBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6TxB-gs74

Hmm, that looks solid to me. What Air did you get? I have to go through Best Buy so I'm hoping they can get some of the other specs that their base models don't have.

I was thinking the 13" air, top model, 8GB ram.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does anyone here have a Retina Pro? Do you have any non-Retina apps that you can launch and take a full screen screenshot of? I've seen a lot of screenshots of native Retina apps, but none of apps that aren't Retina so I'd like to see what they look like. If you can take a few shots of various apps. Also, if someone can go to love2d.org and download Löve and just run it with the "No game" screen (The pink piggy animation) and take a screenshot. I am doing research for the people at the forum there as none of them have a Retina yet either.

Löve
1440x900 HiDPI
http://i.imgur.com/vwGQ8.png
http://i.imgur.com/6Yg0u.png

1680x1050 HiDPI
http://i.imgur.com/TsvVe.png
http://i.imgur.com/Jz5U0.png

Blackhead

Redarse
I know this is a little OCD but the mishmash of different icon resolutions in the menu bar would drive me nuuuuuts.

*sigh* tell me about it. :| It's not so bad in practice because all the text icons there are retina resolution, and low resolution images are manageable at small sizes, but ever so often I move to click on an icon and unconsciously wince

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for. The pixels are all nearest neighbor blocky instead of being blurred out. Does OS X do the same image "filtering" for other apps? Like older versions of PhotoShop and such? I'm going to show these shots to the people over there. Thanks a lot!

I know this is a little OCD but the mishmash of different icon resolutions in the menu bar would drive me nuuuuuts.
Ha. Me too. I'd have to see the screen in person to see if it's noticeable though. The three menubar apps I have that aren't Apple's are all older programs and I'd bet they'd be blocky too. PTHPasteboard which'll never get an update (Nor will there ever be an app that compares to it.), CrashPlan (Which will hopefully have an update at some point not that it matters.) and Google Drive (I assume both GD and DB will have, if they don't already, Retina updates.

I can't wait for the MacOutfitters to get them in. It's been over a month. I bet they've had one for weeks and never told me. Damn them! Nah, probably not. Can't believe the delay here! Of course I could solve this dilemma by driving an hour to the nearest Apple Store.

VPhys

So I got my rMBP and so far I'm liking it. One thing that I'm not used too is the decreased desktop space, so I'm probably going to return the rMBP and get an 13" air, paried with my 24" monitor (must keep the 24").

Anyway, I was trying to copy some dmg files to my 2TB external drive and to my surprise the copy option is not available! After doing some research I found out that I need to reformat the drive to a MAC compatible file system. This drive is almost full and it's going t be a PITA, if not impossible to move this data around. I assume formatting this drive will erase all the data so I'm grasping for a miracle here but is there any other solution other than buying a 2nd 2TB drive, copying the data to that drive, formatting drive #1 to MAC filesystem, and returning the new drive and paying whatever "borrowing" aka restocking cost I have to (along with time/gas/headache).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Try setting it to the next resolution setting up. The one equivalent to 1680x1050. See if it still looks good enough and performs well enough for you. That setting will give you the same area of the normal 15" Pro with high-resolution display. The pixels should be so small that you shouldn't be able to tell.

njean777

Yeah, I'm also having trouble deciding between them. I like the lightness of the Air, but I want the power of the Retina Pro. I can't wait for a 13" Pro though so I'd have to decide whether 15" is too much. I still haven't seen one in person yet though. The local store hasn't received them yet, or at least hasn't told me yet. They said it'd be in their newsletter which hasn't arrived yet so I assume nope.

Can't wait to see it though. Either way I'm either getting an Air with everything maxed out (Except with a 256GB instead of 512GB) with the 2.0 i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, or a low-end Retina with 16GB RAM.

Money isn't the object, but time is. As much as I'd love to wait for the inevitable 13" Retina. (I am assuming it would have a real video card in it like the 15" does. Anyone think they might actually not put a dedicated card in? Does Retina run well enough on the 4000 to warrant them leaving it out?)

As soon as I get my hands on a Retina Pro I am going to test the shit out of it. The weight. The display. I want to see how non-Retina apps look. I want to see how well it runs at the 1680x1050 option. (As well as the higher one, but I'd probably be using the 1680 option full time.)

For anything gaming wise always go with the one with the dedicated GPU, which would be the Retina. The HD4000 is good enough for some games, but if you are going to play anything serious then Retina will be your best bet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For anything gaming wise always go with the one with the dedicated GPU, which would be the Retina. The HD4000 is good enough for some games, but if you are going to play anything serious then Retina will be your best bet.
Yeah, I'm thinking that too. Thing is they never put them in the 13" models so I'm forced to go with a 15". Who knows if the 13" Retina model would have one too. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors are false and the thing won't be out for a while as they try to figure out how to cram everything in and still can't get a dedicated card in there.

At least with a 16GB low-end 15" Retina Pro I'd be set for the next 3 years. Plus I can get the best performance out of all the Steam games I've bought this past year. It's really just the extra weight and size that is the only con for me. Which is why I want to see it in person first.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey, silly question, but does anyone know if Apple Stores keep 16GB Retina Pro's in stock since they can't just upgrade them? You know, for the occasional customer who wants one? Or do they just have 8's?

Or do they even have any at all?

DemonNite

Hmm, that looks solid to me. What Air did you get? I have to go through Best Buy so I'm hoping they can get some of the other specs that their base models don't have.

I was thinking the 13" air, top model, 8GB ram.

I went with the top model 13" (cpu and ram upgraded) but left the 256 ssd in as that was like over £300 to get the 512gb.

TUSR

Banned
Hey, silly question, but does anyone know if Apple Stores keep 16GB Retina Pro's in stock since they can't just upgrade them? You know, for the occasional customer who wants one? Or do they just have 8's?

Or do they even have any at all?

I haven't heard of box stores getting upgraded models, Apple stores maybe.

Build to order is the way to go.

i7 Air is a dual core not a quad. Go with the retina.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't heard of box stores getting upgraded models, Apple stores maybe.

Build to order is the way to go.
The only upgrade I want is the extra RAM. It seems silly to get an amazingly high powered machine and not at least max out the RAM. I mean 8GB is fine, but you don't get a chance to go 16GB later. Would be nice if I could just drive up to the Apple Store and walk out with it. Better than waiting the 2-3 weeks for it to ship because who knows when the delay is going to go down more.

I just did this with my 2012 MBP; swapped in a Crucial M4 SSD, and used an optibay to use the HDD in the Superdrive Bay.

I can't remember the last time I used a cd/dvd, so no need for a Superdrive. If I do need to burn a disc I have a PC to do that.

Where did you get the parts from? There's a bunch of optical drive replacement trays on Ebay for quite cheap.

I use my optical drive, but if I had a really quick ssd in there, it'd be much more useful. Run programs off the HDD and run current projects off the SSD. Awesome!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use my optical drive, but if I had a really quick ssd in there, it'd be much more useful. Run programs off the HDD and run current projects off the SSD. Awesome!
Swap those. You should run the applications and OS off the SSD. That's the whole point. The load times are greatly reduced when you move applications and the OS to a SSD.

Yeah, SD is just low-grade flash so while Class 10 is actually pretty fast it's nowhere near as fast as an onboard SSD. (I have seem some USB based sticks with SSD tier memory though)
Just wanted to bring this up. Anandtech did reviews of both the new MacBook Air's and the new Retina Pro and the results for read/write speed are as follows:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/13

About 40MB per second for the Air vs. 80MB per second for the Retina Pro READ time.
About 32MP per second for the Air vs. 40MB per second for the Retina Pro WRITE time.

Definitely not recommended to put anything that'll be constantly accessed on an SD card. Just storage is all it should be used for.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up a used Late 2011 MBP. Any thoughts on SSD to replace the ODD with.

I am looking at either an OWC or a Samsung 830, but am open to suggestions. Anandtech recommends the Samsung controller and it appears to be the same one apple is using on the rMBP.

Is performance between brands going to be negligible or is this something to pay attention to?

Ambitious

So I got my rMBP and so far I'm liking it. One thing that I'm not used too is the decreased desktop space, so I'm probably going to return the rMBP and get an 13" air, paried with my 24" monitor (must keep the 24").

Anyway, I was trying to copy some dmg files to my 2TB external drive and to my surprise the copy option is not available! After doing some research I found out that I need to reformat the drive to a MAC compatible file system. This drive is almost full and it's going t be a PITA, if not impossible to move this data around. I assume formatting this drive will erase all the data so I'm grasping for a miracle here but is there any other solution other than buying a 2nd 2TB drive, copying the data to that drive, formatting drive #1 to MAC filesystem, and returning the new drive and paying whatever "borrowing" aka restocking cost I have to (along with time/gas/headache).

Which file system does it use, NTFS?
You could just install a NTFS driver. There are several, just google for Tuxera NTFS or MacFuse. I don't even know which one I'm using currently - I had many problems the last time I installed it, it took hours and I tried at least those two in several versions. I assume those problems should be fixed by now, I think partial Lion incompatibility had been the issue.

Sorry for not even providing links; I'm on mobile right now and in a hurry.

Finally got around to giving the rMBP a proper whirl yesterday. It was running Lion.

Like, I knew that Lion's graphics card drivers aren't up to snuff, but that was... very bad. I am kind-of shocked how barely any reviews pointed out how sluggish stuff like scrolling websites is compared to "low-resolution" models.

Also, I think, so far the retina looks weird more than anything.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any of you get your Mac from Best Buy? I have to get mine from there so I can use their credit card and get the "no interest for 18 months" thing, but their site and store only seem to have base models.

Are they able to order the more specific customizations that Apple offers online? I want the 13" Air with the upgraded chip (2.0 Ghz) and 8GB RAM...

Just picked up a used Late 2011 MBP. Any thoughts on SSD to replace the ODD with.

I am looking at either an OWC or a Samsung 830, but am open to suggestions. Anandtech recommends the Samsung controller and it appears to be the same one apple is using on the rMBP.

Is performance between brands going to be negligible or is this something to pay attention to?

Samsung. OWC is okay but they use Sandforce which I've read has issues at times. The 830 is very reliable although sometimes you need to let it rest to do adequate garbage collection.

RBH

Any of you get your Mac from Best Buy? I have to get mine from there so I can use their credit card and get the "no interest for 18 months" thing, but their site and store only seem to have base models.

Are they able to order the more specific customizations that Apple offers online? I want the 13" Air with the upgraded chip (2.0 Ghz) and 8GB RAM...

Best Buy doesn't offer any RAM or processor customizations for any of the Apple laptops, from what I've seen.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Best Buy doesn't offer any RAM or processor customizations for any of the Apple laptops, from what I've seen.

Yep. Looks to be the case. I'm in a hard spot then. I would really like to go through BB as I have a BB credit card that offers 18 months no interest. Without upgrades I wouldn't get the Air, my only choice would be the retina.

I do have another card I can use and order from Apple. I was going through the education site, do they verify you're in school? I could save $50 and get a gift card ordering the Air there...

RBH

Yep. Looks to be the case. I'm in a hard spot then. I would really like to go through BB as I have a BB credit card that offers 18 months no interest. Without upgrades I wouldn't get the Air, my only choice would be the retina.

I do have another card I can use and order from Apple. I was going through the education site, do they verify you're in school? I could save $50 and get a gift card ordering the Air there...

They don't really enforce it on their website. Type in a school you previously attended (or any school actually), and it'll go through without any real verification. If you buy in-store, they might just ask to see a student ID or acceptance letter.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Samsung. OWC is okay but they use Sandforce which I've read has issues at times. The 830 is very reliable although sometimes you need to let it rest to do adequate garbage collection.
What would "let it rest" entails or an SSD? Thanks for the info!

Croc

Banned
Just posting this here cause after talking to a friend he said it might be Mac related.

Anyways, for some reason after booting up a game on Steam the tab+shift shortcut for the overlay never works the first time I boot up a game. I always have to close out of the game and reopen it for it to work. If I open a game and come back to that first game I'll have to do the same thing once again.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They don't really enforce it on their website. Type in a school you previously attended (or any school actually), and it'll go through without any real verification. If you buy in-store, they might just ask to see a student ID or acceptance letter.

I'll try it tonight. My other card has a $1750 limit, so it would be close after tax. :p

I still have a student ID anyways, even though I graduated 4 years ago.

LProtag

So in terms of using Windows 7 with the rMBP, does it work out alright? I want to get a Windows partition for some games I picked up from Steam like Shogun 2, are they going to look like ass? Is there a way to make them look good?

DemonNite

Not sure if theres any difference in the US/UK but I managed to order it thru the site via a student link no problems. No verification needed, managed to get some 3% cash back on it via quidco.com, and on top of that... they also give you a £70 gift card to use on their mac/app/itunes store.

VPhys

Which file system does it use, NTFS?
You could just install a NTFS driver. There are several, just google for Tuxera NTFS or MacFuse. I don't even know which one I'm using currently - I had many problems the last time I installed it, it took hours and I tried at least those two in several versions. I assume those problems should be fixed by now, I think partial Lion incompatibility had been the issue.

Sorry for not even providing links; I'm on mobile right now and in a hurry.

Thanks I will try those.

On to new issues. The woes of the retina display.

So, in anticipation of swapping my rMBP to a 13" air, I decide to take my 24" 1900x1200 monitor out of the closet and place it on my desk, as that is where it will reside next to my future mba.

I connect it via display port and begin to surf some webpages. First thing I check is the scrolling. Scrolling is infinitely more smooth on the external display (connected via display port) , and also on my HDTV (via HDMI) than it is on the rMBP. My decision to get a MBA is looking even better as I know this is the experience I will get on the lower res air screen when I'm actually using the laptop display. Then I begin to actually read some text. For some reason things are looking fuzzy, even fuzzier than I remember things looking on Windows 7. When I drag safari from my HPZR24w over to the rMBP, the text still looks fuzzy, but only for about 2 seconds then Apples software makes the text look super sharp.

Is there some kind "clearview" option in Lion that makes the text sharper? I have messed around with various resolutions combinations and my external LCD is at it's native res, as well as the rMBP. Maybe I have been spoiled by the retina display over the last 48 hours but I don't think so. I just don't remember text in Windows 7 looking this fuzzy. I could be turning into a PPI whore but has anyone else experienced the same thing? At this point I'm contemplating keeping the retina model.

VPhys

With our dell dying looks like im going to jump into the Mac world sooner rather than later. Is the entry level MacBook pro a good choice?

IMO, a horrible choice. Either get the MBA or spend a few hundred more for the rMBP.

Will mostly be used by my wife for light tasks, video streaming, word docs, storing photos and videos of the family, etc. Not sure if she's willing to give up the cd/DVD drive due to her wanting to dump her music collection on there from her cd collection. I'd like to stay as close to $1,000-$1,200 as possible. This will be her machine for a long time so would like it to be a good deal for the money that will likely stay on the OS upgrade path for a while.

Personally, I'd love something with SSD but not sure if that's an option right now.

Would a year or two old MacBook pro refurb be a good idea? I can get an education discount though if I buy new.

I'd go with MBA and add a DVD drive an external hard drive for $100. Then you get the SSD and the smaller form factor. The MBP are just a bad value.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just ordered the 13" 2.0 GHz dual i7, 8GB ram Macbook Air for my first ever Mac. :)

Should be here next Thursday! Ordered through the student site, so saved $50 and got a $100 app gift card. (Is the card for Apps only, or Apple's store?)

What would "let it rest" entails or an SSD? Thanks for the info!

Casual use is fine however if you're saving a lot of photos and videos, you can not get the advertised read/write speeds without TRIM. You can enable TRIM though through the kernel (I haven't tried it because I am afraid to risk something). All Apple SSDs have TRIM standard though to keep an SSD running at its peak.

I ended up finding a 2010 MacBook Pro that was refurbished from apple with a new 500gb hardrive for $575. Battery is in incredible shape. Practically new system.

Awesome machine. I have so much to learn coming from Windows. I know iOS but this...is going to be nice but definitely different.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I ended up finding a 2010 MacBook Pro that was refurbished from apple with a new 500gb hardrive for $575. Battery is in incredible shape. Practically new system.

Awesome machine. I have so much to learn coming from Windows. I know iOS but this...is going to be nice but definitely different.

I'll be in the learning boat soon too, next week most likely. Haven't used a Mac since high school. :p

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Internet Recovery in lion is awesome. way faster than booting from a DVD imo

Casual use is fine however if you're saving a lot of photos and videos, you can not get the advertised read/write speeds without TRIM. You can enable TRIM though through the kernel (I haven't tried it because I am afraid to risk something). All Apple SSDs have TRIM standard though to keep an SSD running at its peak.

Thanks again. Looks like OWC "over provisions" (actually under lol) theirs to keep it going. Apple uses the Samsung SSD in BTOs but I don't know if the BTO SSD have some trim like support enabled.

Just ordered the 13" 2.0 GHz dual i7, 8GB ram Macbook Air for my first ever Mac. :)

Should be here next Thursday! Ordered through the student site, so saved $50 and got a $100 app gift card. (Is the card for Apps only, or Apple's store?)

App Store (mac or iOS) itunes ibooks etc. not the apple store, or extended warranties :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On that topic, my first question as a new Mac owner, I get ML free for buying the Mac, how do you upgrade? Just a download from Apple? Auto download?

Top Bottom