• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Tabris

Careful with the MAS version. New sandboxing rules means it can't be updated. But the devs will transfer your MAS license to an independant license for free. They talk about this on their website.

I made the switch last month.

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about as I didn't clue in MAS was Mac Apple Store. So what's the deal with these sandboxing rules?

RBH

Does anyone else's 13 inch MBA (late-2011?) get extremely hot when running Netflix? Considering I have nothing open but Chrome, it seems strange that the fans should go so wild when running video. It's on a hard surface, so that shouldn't be affecting it.

edit: It runs perfectly in Safari. Weird!

Chrome has recently been noted to have quite a few issues on the MBA. Just have to wait for Google to fix it up. Until then, I'm using Safari and Firefox.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about as I didn't clue in MAS was Mac Apple Store. So what's the deal with these sandboxing rules?

In the name of 'security,' all (non-Apple) applications for sale in the Mac App Store must run inside Apple's sandbox, which essentially gimps a ton of utilities that require certain access/privileges/permissions to function properly. Apple will still allow users to download and run applications outside of MAS, but you will have to go through an extra dialog box or the like in order to confirm that you actually want to run it. I might be wrong on the last part as I haven't tried Mountain Lion (10.8) yet.

I believe there is also some setting in 10.8 to completely turn off the ability to run apps outside of MAS, locking the platform down like iOS.

Ambitious

In the name of 'security,' all (non-Apple) applications for sale in the Mac App Store must run inside Apple's sandbox, which essentially gimps a ton of utilities that require certain access/privileges/permissions to function properly. Apple will still allow users to download and run applications outside of MAS, but you will have to go through an extra dialog box or the like in order to confirm that you actually want to run it. I might be wrong on the last part as I haven't tried Mountain Lion (10.8) yet.

I believe there is also some setting in 10.8 to completely turn off the ability to run apps outside of MAS, locking the platform down like iOS.

Yes, it's called "Gatekeeper". There are three options: Allow only MAS apps, Allow MAS apps and apps by identified developers, Allow all apps.

Here's a hands-on: http://www.macworld.com/article/1165408/mountain_lion_hands_on_with_gatekeeper.html

kaioshade

So it seems the fan in my mid-2009 15" MBP is dying. I bought a screwdriver on Saturday (actually a set, but whatever) to open up the bottom case as I didn't have the right size already. Just hearing it, I thought it was a dust problem, so I cleaned it out (needed to happen anyway as it's been almost 3 years without an internal cleaning). Found a loose screw which was part the left fan array, and I thought that it might be responsible for the noise.

Closed it all up and it seemed to be fine. But then I get this horrible grinding noise again from the left fan. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's definitely not good. So I need to replace it. Right fan could probably use a replacement as well just to run quieter, but it doesn't have the same issue and I'm a bit strapped for cash here.

Now prices on a replacement kit for this fan vary anywhere from $8 to $60. The cheaper ones are on Amazon. I need to open up my computer again and check the manufacturer/exact model number though before I'd order one.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Hopefully the ones in the $8-$20 range will be acceptable. I think the other vendors are probably just markups. I may need to buy that special star-shaped screwdriver as well - we have a couple of those laying around, but I'm not sure if any are the right size. May also grab one of those prying tools for a couple bucks since I'll need to separate the fan connector to the circuit board.

2009 Macbook pro, all you need to replace the fans is a phillips 00 and a torx 6.

Pay no more than 35 dollars for a set.

The connector on the board is a vertical slot. you can pull straight up gently and it will come right off. However if you feel safer with a pry tool, then that is fine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, it's called "Gatekeeper". There are three options: Allow only MAS apps, Allow MAS apps and apps by identified developers, Allow all apps.

Here's a hands-on: http://www.macworld.com/article/1165408/mountain_lion_hands_on_with_gatekeeper.html
The second choice is the one I want to aim for. But right now I have to use the third because I have a few apps that aren't signed yet and might not be for a while. (At least until after ML actually comes out.)

I would never use the first option myself though because I've slowly found myself moving away from MAS apps because of their sandboxing limits. Always opting for a non-MAS version when available because the MAS one lost features due to limitations.

I wish iOS had this same option. Even if they have to make it default to number 1 and bury the feature deep in the Settings app. At least let people have the option to.

giga

The second choice is the one I want to aim for. But right now I have to use the third because I have a few apps that aren't signed yet and might not be for a while. (At least until after ML actually comes out.)

I would never use the first option myself though because I've slowly found myself moving away from MAS apps because of their sandboxing limits. Always opting for a non-MAS version when available because the MAS one lost features due to limitations.
For the few apps that aren't signed yet, just right click them to add them to the exception list.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the few apps that aren't signed yet, just right click them to add them to the exception list.
I didn't know you could do that. Let me try it out. I downloaded the latest Bowtie (Still not signed or updated in a while) the other day and it's the only thing ML complains about if I have it on option 2.

Edit: I'll try it later. Seems Bowtie has already been added since I changed it to option 3. I could reinstall it and test it but I'll just wait until I download something else later on.

Krelian

So does anyone have any experience with Komputerbay RAM? I'm considering buying an upgrade for my Mac mini (mid 2011) and the price is very tempting. It's basically no-name RAM as far as I can tell but there are many good reviews at Amazon.

Dazzla

For anyone in the market for a video dongle or ethernet dongle I've just bought these:

Apple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter cable by Neet

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter

I bought the HDMI dongle and I connect it to a HDMI lead and then a HDMI to DVI adaptor (my office monitor doesn't have HDMI. I can also take it wherever and utilise HDMI. Works perfectly, no installation required.

I picked that particular USB adaptor as a) I didn't want to lose a thunderbolt port to gigabit but wanted greater than 100Mb and b) I didn't want to pay £25 to apple for the USB 100Mb ethernet adaptor. It works perfectly in Mountain Lion and Lion and I get around 400Mb in the office. Needed to install drivers from plugable.com but it was so quick and simple.

I've not tried a Mac recently in a multi-monitor setup and it's not that great. It's pretty disappointing that when running a full screen app the second screen simply turns into the grey cloth background. Is there any app or hack that prevents that?

Bought a MacBook 13" late 2008 unibody recently from a friend for 300€. He rarely used it and you can really tell by juts looking at the keyboard. Not shiny at all. Replaced the 4GB RAM with 8GB Kingston RAM for 30€ and the stcok 160GB HDD with a 256GB Samsung SSD for 170€. Boot up time from pressing the button until I see the desktop is 18 seconds and Windows 7 in Parallels boots up so fast I don't even see the Windows logo. This thing is a monster now. All for 500€.

RBH

With our dell dying looks like im going to jump into the Mac world sooner rather than later. Is the entry level MacBook pro a good choice?

What's your budget and what do you plan to do on a day-to-day basis on the laptop?

My personal preference is to go with the 13" Air over the Pro due to the SSD, portability, and better screen resolution, but it depends on what you're looking for.

TUSR

Banned
What's your budget and what do you plan to do on a day-to-day basis on the laptop?

My personal preference is to go with the 13" Air over the Pro due to the SSD, portability, and better screen resolution, but it depends on what you're looking for.

Im on the Air bandwagon right away.

Until we know what you use it for and what storage you are looking for the best we can do is throw out models. Has to be right for you. So give us as much info as you can.

Will mostly be used by my wife for light tasks, video streaming, word docs, storing photos and videos of the family, etc. Not sure if she's willing to give up the cd/DVD drive due to her wanting to dump her music collection on there from her cd collection. I'd like to stay as close to $1,000-$1,200 as possible. This will be her machine for a long time so would like it to be a good deal for the money that will likely stay on the OS upgrade path for a while.

Personally, I'd love something with SSD but not sure if that's an option right now.

Would a year or two old MacBook pro refurb be a good idea? I can get an education discount though if I buy new.

TUSR

Banned
Will mostly be used by my wife for light tasks, video streaming, word docs, storing photos and videos of the family, etc. Not sure if she's willing to give up the cd/DVD drive due to her wanting to dump her music collection on there from her cd collection. I'd like to stay as close to $1,000-$1,200 as possible. This will be her machine for a long time so would like it to be a good deal for the money that will likely stay on the OS upgrade path for a while.

Personally, I'd love something with SSD but not sure if that's an option right now.

Would a year or two old MacBook pro refurb be a good idea? I can get an education discount though if I buy new.

Well if your wife is going to make it difficult with outdated storage formats then you might want to go with the Pro. Not just for the optical drive but for the larger amount of storage you will get.

Base Pro 13" with education discount is $1129. 500GB drive.
Base 13" Air is 50$ more and it only has a 128GB flash storage with no optical drive, mind you stand alone units are 70-80$ for a drive.

Take her to an Apple store or a future shop/best buy and get her to check them both out. I love love love the new Airs. All of your tasks that you are doing will be easily handled by both machines. Integrated graphics have come a long way in the last few years.

Another option to buy me time is that a friend will sell me his early 2008 MacBook for $100. Ideally, I'd like to wait until the base pro comes with a ssd but don't know how realistic of a desire that is.

I'll need to get a new battery, though. The battery just died all the sudden in his MacBook . Like...boom it's gone. Was that common with that model? Where is the best place to get a new battery?

I'm thinking about upgrading my early 2011 MacBook Pro to an SSD hard drive but going from 750 to 256 gig will be tough. Anyone done this? I think it'll give my MBP better response as I do lots of editing in Final Cut and After Effects. Then hopefully thunderbolt ssds will start getting cheaper.

This has mainly been spurred on by my girlfriends brand new Air.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my early 2011 MacBook Pro to an SSD hard drive but going from 750 to 256 gig will be tough. Anyone done this? I think it'll give my MBP better response as I do lots of editing in Final Cut and After Effects. Then hopefully thunderbolt ssds will start getting cheaper.

do you use the optical drive? If you dont use it regularly you can install an SSD then replace the SuperDrive with the old large capacity HDD. Best of both worlds.

TUSR

Banned
Another option to buy me time is that a friend will sell me his early 2008 MacBook for $100. Ideally, I'd like to wait until the base pro comes with a ssd but don't know how realistic of a desire that is.

I'll need to get a new battery, though. The battery just died all the sudden in his MacBook . Like...boom it's gone. Was that common with that model? Where is the best place to get a new battery?

Its unrealistic for a few more years at least. The price point for an introductory Pro isn't achievable.

Honestly, get the MBP I described. Replace the optical drive with a nice SSD (Samsung or Intel). And have the best of both worlds, in the long run its much cheaper and it seems like the best fit. Except your optical drive will be gone, get rid of those damn CDs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm debating the retina Pro or new Air. Based on what I do on a laptop the Air would most likely work, but I'd love the retina and a bit more power for playing some games (I don't play a lot of PC games, but Diablo 3 and things like that).

I know I could get by with the new Air, but really like the look of the retina. Agh.

So I'm debating the retina Pro or new Air. Based on what I do on a laptop the Air would most likely work, but I'd love the retina and a bit more power for playing some games (I don't play a lot of PC games, but Diablo 3 and things like that).

I know I could get by with the new Air, but really like the look of the retina. Agh.

Talk about a hard decision :/
I'm going through the same thing right now.

do you use the optical drive? If you dont use it regularly you can install an SSD then replace the SuperDrive with the old large capacity HDD. Best of both worlds.

The speed of the Optical Drive connector is slower, right? Hence the move of the slow drive into its spot?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So what are the chances of new iMac's on July 25th?

I want to buy a Cinema Display or iMac, but don't want to buy either because their updates might be coming soon, most likely on the same day.

I want to buy a Cinema Display or iMac, but don't want to buy either because their updates might be coming soon, most likely on the same day.
Yeah I'd love to know this, I will be buying an iMac around the start of September.

No one knows geekbench posted a report the day before the retina macbook pro launch of a supposed Ivy Bridge iMac. On the other hand no leaks of any new iMac parts have surfaced. Honestly it’s all conjecture at this point if not July 25 then the fall if not then early 2013.

TUSR

Banned

Im going to go with slim, very very slim.

No one knows geekbench posted a report the day before the retina macbook pro launch of a supposed Ivy Bridge iMac. On the other hand no leaks of any new iMac parts have surfaced. Honestly it’s all conjecture at this point if not July 25 then the fall if not then early 2013.

Ive heard whispers of October.

DemonNite

A few weeks ago I went through the same. I went with the new Macbook Air in the end and I am totally happy about the decision.

If it helps, I did give Diablo 3 a run and it was fine and Unity3d runs the sample game at around 90fps. I haven't done much gaming on it to be honest though.

My reasoning was this... if I was going to get the retina it would be full spec (or close to) and this would've been £800 or so MORE than the Macbook Air upgraded (256SSD not 512). Spending that sort of money was a bit too much right now for me and this is the first generation of retina Macbook Pros. The £800 or so I saved can be put towards something else and by the time the retinas get a refresh, I would've had some decent mileage on my MBA.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The speed of the Optical Drive connector is slower, right? Hence the move of the slow drive into its spot?
The main reason is because HDD's can be thicker and the optical drive will allow for the larger capacity drives with the thicker cases while an SSD will always be the same thickness and will be better off as the boot drive in the normal drive spot.

Anyways, is anyone else looking forward to seeing more about this?
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/09/nifty-minidrive-invisible-add-on-flash-storage-for-your-macbook/

It's a MicroSD card adapter that fits in a MacBook's SD card slot but fits flush against the case so there's nothing sticking out and lets you add up to 64GB (Currently) of extra space while still letting it be removable so you can take it anywhere. It's supposed to be a semi-permanent expansion.

Of course SD cards are not super fast so I don't know if I would recommend installing things on them that need quick access, but it'd be great for local backups and storage of files. Especially when 128GB SDXC cards come out. (If they ever do.)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A few weeks ago I went through the same. I went with the new Macbook Air in the end and I am totally happy about the decision.

If it helps, I did give Diablo 3 a run and it was fine and Unity3d runs the sample game at around 90fps. I haven't done much gaming on it to be honest though.

My reasoning was this... if I was going to get the retina it would be full spec (or close to) and this would've been £800 or so MORE than the Macbook Air upgraded (256SSD not 512). Spending that sort of money was a bit too much right now for me and this is the first generation of retina Macbook Pros. The £800 or so I saved can be put towards something else and by the time the retinas get a refresh, I would've had some decent mileage on my MBA.

Yeah, that's reasonable. Did you run Diablo 3 on the Mac side or dual boot into Windows? Just curious how powerful it is. I know it's not going to play most future games, but the random Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 I'd like to at least be able to run for a while. :p

RBH

I think getting an Apple refurb is a great idea. Basically getting a new laptop for $150-250 cheaper.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

You won't get the education discount or gift card with it, but overall you'll still be saving a few bucks.

Sapiens

The only kind of new Mac I want these days is a Mac Pro. But, it's ripoff city.

Hopefully, there's something nice for that line next year...

That's what I'm waiting for but there haven't been many rumors that would support this. But Apple never releases computers in August/September so it may be October at the earliest :(

Yeah I got in on the Kickstarter. They have seperate models for Air/Pro/Retina. There's nothing super unbelievable about it - it's just a way to have flush SD storage that never falls out - but it's also a really great way to add more storage. It's removable but you need a pin (or if they hit their new KS number, it will come with something similar to the SIM tray tool for iPhone/iPad).

For anyone that doesn't really use their SD slot, it's a really cool idea.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I got in on the Kickstarter. They have seperate models for Air/Pro/Retina. There's nothing super unbelievable about it - it's just a way to have flush SD storage that never falls out - but it's also a really great way to add more storage. It's removable but you need a pin (or if they hit their new KS number, it will come with something similar to the SIM tray tool for iPhone/iPad).

For anyone that doesn't really use their SD slot, it's a really cool idea.
Exactly. I rarely use it as much as I rarely used my optical drive. At least this would be akin to replacing your DVD drive with another HDD except smaller, ligher and not as fast, but still with a nice amount of storage if you're willing to pay the price. (I hope science is working on 128GB and 256GB SD cards.)

rinse82

I just did this with my 2012 MBP; swapped in a Crucial M4 SSD, and used an optibay to use the HDD in the Superdrive Bay.

I can't remember the last time I used a cd/dvd, so no need for a Superdrive. If I do need to burn a disc I have a PC to do that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can you put bootcamp on a micro-SD card?
I don't know if I'd recommend it. The read/write speed of an SD card is much slower than an SSD or a HDD. If it were anywhere near the same speed, super fast Flash storage would be cheap because you can fit 64GB in a thumb nail, imagine what a full drive of them would have! (Imagine 2TB of SD Flash) But the speed is so low that you can't boot at all off of it. And even if you do, I wouldn't recommend it. It'd wear the drive out so fast it'd not even be worth it. SD cards are much better suited to file storage and backup. Stuff that doesn't require high amounts of repeated access. I'd use one to offload bulky files that I don't need on my main drive at all times anyway.

Exactly. I rarely use it as much as I rarely used my optical drive. At least this would be akin to replacing your DVD drive with another HDD except smaller, ligher and not as fast, but still with a nice amount of storage if you're willing to pay the price. (I hope science is working on 128GB and 256GB SD cards.)

Well the clincher - which you can see from the KS page - is that you don't really realize that it's not a full SD card slot until you try it. Any SD card you drop in a Mac laptop is going to stick out and/or fall out. So it's basically perfect to convert into media storage or as, say, a Time Machine style backup device.

(Yes, science is working on bigger cards. Sadly I don't think 2TB is going to be possible without phase change or something else, but every time they figure out another die shrink SD card size should double.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was talking about the hypothetical situation in which SD Flash was as fast as normal SSD Flash storage and full sized drives came out with the same GB per square inch ratio. Which we all know is sadly not true. SD cards are very slow and not made for the high read/write hits a normal HDD or SSD get. They're mostly made for storage. So they'd be good for keeping documents (Not applications or OS') and backups.

Yeah, SD is just low-grade flash so while Class 10 is actually pretty fast it's nowhere near as fast as an onboard SSD. (I have seem some USB based sticks with SSD tier memory though)

Top Bottom