• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

asdad123

May have been lost on last page. Anyone have a thunderbolt display hooked up to a macbook? If so, is your monitor hot in the left hand corner after a while?

Just got mine yesterday and checked this. It is a little warm on the left hand corner and completely cool on the right hand corner.

Tabris

Just got mine yesterday and checked this. It is a little warm on the left hand corner and completely cool on the right hand corner.

Can you check again when you use your computer for 3+ hours and let me know if it's quite warmer almost to the point of being hot.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Is there a time limit on when I can redeem the free code for ML? I bought a rMBP, MBA, and a 13" MBP in the last month and I haven't even opened the 13" yet :\ I want to keep it sealed in case I need to sell it..but just in case I don't...I'd like to cash in on the free update :D

Tabris

Is there a time limit on when I can redeem the free code for ML? I bought a rMBP, MBA, and a 13" MBP in the last month and I haven't even opened the 13" yet :\ I want to keep it sealed in case I need to sell it..but just in case I don't...I'd like to cash in on the free update :D

I think you can afford $19.99, but 30 days.

jobber

I think you can afford $19.99, but 30 days.

Well after blowing nearly $5k for their devices in June, I'd expect some kind of kickback :p

I didn't even follow the ML keynote. I only saw something about a free upgrade when I visited the app store.

giga

Is there a time limit on when I can redeem the free code for ML? I bought a rMBP, MBA, and a 13" MBP in the last month and I haven't even opened the 13" yet : I want to keep it sealed in case I need to sell it..but just in case I don't...I'd like to cash in on the free update :D
Once you redeem one copy of ML it's available to install on all your macs. It's tied to your apple id and you can re download it whenever.

JackEtc

Can you not live with it for a while? AppleCare lasts 3 years and the 1-2 week delay won't be forever. Let the kinks work themselves out and get it replaced when they can be shipped next day.

What did you have upgraded? RAM?

Yeah, I am just gonna have to live with the burn in for a little. It's just I'm mainly using this laptop for video work, and it can be really a pain in the ass when working on that kind of stuff. I'm in the middle of a video project for a camp that hired me, which is why I can't afford to be without it now, but as soon as I'm finished with the project, I'm going off to college, meaning I won't be able to have it fixed probably until the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Mine is the 2.6 i7, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB SSD. I've heard they only have the base models and the maxed out models in stores, and mine is somewhere in the middle of them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I am just gonna have to live with the burn in for a little. It's just I'm mainly using this laptop for video work, and it can be really a pain in the ass when working on that kind of stuff. I'm in the middle of a video project for a camp that hired me, which is why I can't afford to be without it now, but as soon as I'm finished with the project, I'm going off to college, meaning I won't be able to have it fixed probably until the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Mine is the 2.6 i7, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB SSD. I've heard they only have the base models and the maxed out models in stores, and mine is somewhere in the middle of them.
I wonder if I were to stop at an Apple Store and ask if they'd be able to say how many have been returned for this defect. I'm glad it's an isolated batch, but still, it's just as bad as worrying that you might get a dead pixel.

Speaking of which, my MacBook Air has a weird case of stuck pixel area that I can only see when the background is white. It's so weird, but fortunately it's in a place off to the side that I don't even notice it unless I am looking right at it. If I have a dark background, it disappears. The pixel area is brighter than even solid white so it's like there's an LED behind it running brighter than the screen brightness. It even lowers when I turn down the brightness and goes away when dark.

It's not burn-in but I don't know what it is. So weird.
iJnhokXWXt2gf.png

As applecare is mentioned above, just wanted to ask, is it possible to get numerous macs under one applecare account or do you buy applecare for each computer?

also, can you buy it anytime, for example, i have it on a late 2011 imac which i bought in the apple store, but i have a late 2007 macbook that i bought in another retailer and paid monthly for their version of applecare/insurance, it has ended and i can re-sub but i was wondering if it was possible to get applecare for this machine, and if possible under the same scheme as the imac? do they need to check the 'health' of the machine as well?

thanks

B33

Banned
What's the consensus of the 13-inch Pro in contrast to the 13-inch Air?

I ask because I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 128 GB SSD.

Lkr

gaf i'm at a loss. i need a wireless router for my apartment. i was considering the airport express but the lack of lan ports turned me off. then i saw that every router in existence at this point sucks apparently. i'm thinking about throwing in the towel and just going with ol' reliable and getting a WRT54GL despite its age

corn_fest

I wonder if I were to stop at an Apple Store and ask if they'd be able to say how many have been returned for this defect. I'm glad it's an isolated batch, but still, it's just as bad as worrying that you might get a dead pixel.

Speaking of which, my MacBook Air has a weird case of stuck pixel area that I can only see when the background is white. It's so weird, but fortunately it's in a place off to the side that I don't even notice it unless I am looking right at it. If I have a dark background, it disappears. The pixel area is brighter than even solid white so it's like there's an LED behind it running brighter than the screen brightness. It even lowers when I turn down the brightness and goes away when dark.

It's not burn-in but I don't know what it is. So weird.
iJnhokXWXt2gf.png

Are you sure it's not burn-in? Are you using the default galaxy background? I had a similar issue with one of the brighter stars being temporarily being burnt into the screen.

Are you sure it's not burn-in? Are you using the default galaxy background? I had a similar issue with one of the brighter stars being temporarily being burnt into the screen.

LIke I said, that's probably pressure damage. Rubbing, pressure against the backside of the panel causes this. The first aluminum 15in powerbooks had an issue where the spacers would press to hard against the screen, causing ungodly problems with the screen.

may16-screen.jpg

If it's a brand new mac, shouldn't be a problem to get it swapped out at the apple store. It's a defect that could easily happen during manufacture.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Who uses the default background? No, of course it's not. Not sure when pressure damage would happen as it's been there since I got it. It can't be burn-in because there's never anything on screen that would cause a pattern like that. If there's going to be burn-in, it'd be my Chrome tab bar or the menubar and icons on my desktop. Not a single tiny spot isolated off to the side out of the way.

Like I said, who cares. It's not that noticeable and I forget it exists all the time until I just happen to spot it while on a light background. No where near as bad as ghosting and real burn-in.

I don't know what would have ever pressed against it. It doesn't touch anything that could cause it. Most likely during manufacturing.

What are spacers?

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I ask because I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 128 GB SSD.
Do you need a drive?
More power for games?
Screen is better on the Air.

What are spacers?

LIttle plastic/rubber bits that were/are between the panel and very top plate of the laptop (to protect the panel/keep it in place/stable). Like I said, the Rev A 15in Aluminum Powerbooks had a BAD problem with them, causing horrible pressure damage. Like the entire screen covered in white blotches.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do you need a drive?
More power for games?
Screen is better on the Air.
Doesn't the 13" Pro have the same video card as the Air anyway? The processor however is better.

LIttle plastic/rubber bits that were/are between the panel and very top plate of the laptop (to protect the panel/keep it in place/stable). Like I said, the Rev A 15in Aluminum Powerbooks had a BAD problem with them, causing horrible pressure damage. Like the entire screen covered in white blotches.
I guess that's why they don't use them anymore?

jobber

I'd get the pro if you game a lot. It gives you extra power and hdd space to run Boot Camp! I can run 95% of my Steam games on Boot Camp. I can run maybe 3 games on osx :\

Wondering the same thing myself.

I'm pulling the trigger on a 13" this week, just haven't decided on pro or air yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How good is the 4000 for even playing any games? I'd get the one with a real video card. Unfortunately the 13" Pro also does not have anything other than the 4000. You have to get the 15" normal or Retina to get a full video card.

It's really the main reason I'm leaning towards the Retina. I want to play all the games I bought during all of last years Steam sales. At least with better settings. (Most of my games work on OS X anyway. But I have a few that are only Windows.)

RBH

My personal preference is to go with the 13" Air over the Pro due to the built-in SSD, portability, and better screen resolution.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you're going to go 13" anyway, go Air. But if you need game play and graphics power, 15" is your option. Else you just end up with the same video chip.

Check out Anandtech. They did reviews of all three new MacBooks. That will help you decide which one you need.

jobber

How good is the 4000 for even playing any games? I'd get the one with a real video card. Unfortunately the 13" Pro also does not have anything other than the 4000. You have to get the 15" normal or Retina to get a full video card.

It's really the main reason I'm leaning towards the Retina. I want to play all the games I bought during all of last years Steam sales. At least with better settings. (Most of my games work on OS X anyway. But I have a few that are only Windows.)

I didn't even try to run a game on the Air. The method of moving Steam games to an external drive on Mac isn't as easy as it is for Windows. I tried once and Steam freaked out.

A boot camp rMBP using Win 7 can easily run games like Batman:AC and SSF4:AE on the highest settings. There is a side effect to all of this. The entire system runs hot while in Windows. I did just download a update that fixes a cpu problem so maybe Apple fixed it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I didn't even try to run a game on the Air. The method of moving Steam games to an external drive on Mac isn't as easy as it is for Windows. I tried once and Steam freaked out.
It sucks how it's handled. I wish the Mac Steam app would allow you to move an applications data to an external drive, but still allow you to keep some on the main drive. Then if you run the app without the drive connected it'll simply say "Please connect the drive XXX to play this game." I hate juggling my apps to conserve space. At least you can redownload whenever you need to, but that takes forever on huge games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Doesn't the 13" Pro have the same video card as the Air anyway? The processor however is better.
Ah right. I was thinking of the 15” Pro.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/6

Seems to be only good for running at native res.
Not bad for non-cutting edge games.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I asked this a while ago but never got an answer.

How does the video card switching work on the higher end Pros?

When does the computer switch cards. What does it use when using normal applications.

When it switches, does something happen? Is it noticeable? (Does it fade to blue and back up like when you change the resolution?)

And would it be a bad thing to set it to always use the physical card while plugged in. Will you even notice a difference in normal computer using?

Also, which card gets used in Windows? Does Windows do the same automatic switching?

Izick

Going to replace my laptop in a few months, and I just want something really slim, cool, and powerful, so I've had people suggest the Macbook Air. A refurbed 2011 model seems to be the way to go, for about 930$ I think it is. Is that the way to go?

From my past experience with integrated graphics, seems great.

It's 10x more powerful than Intel's last generation graphics..

games in general run far better on windows than they do in OS X, though..

I think that is what mescalineeyes is getting at.

Under windows, it's not using the intel gpu.. it's using the nvidia 650m..

That's not the source of the big performance gap, though.. using the 650m under OS X and under windows is night and day for a lot of games.. I know TF2 isn't that demanding, but the 650m is good enough to play the game at 50-60 fps at 2880x1800.. the OS X version struggles and stutters at 1920x1080.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's 10x more powerful than Intel's last generation graphics..

games in general run far better on windows than they do in OS X, though..

I think that is what mescalineeyes is getting at.

Under windows, it's not using the intel gpu.. it's using the nvidia 650m..

That's not the source of the big performance gap, though.. using the 650m under OS X and under windows is night and day for a lot of games.. I know TF2 isn't that demanding, but the 650m is good enough to play the game at 50-60 fps at 2880x1800.. the OS X version struggles and stutters at 1920x1080.
That's interesting. Never realized game performance was that bad on OS X. Optimization issues?
I'm only thinking about making my first Mac purchase but it wouldn't be used for games anyway.

That's interesting. Never realized game performance was that bad on OS X. Optimization issues?
I'm only thinking about making my first Mac purchase but it wouldn't be used for games anyway.

I think part of it is Apple's drivers and some of it is the ports of the games themselves.

whitehawk

Banned
I bootcamped my iMac with windows 8, but the volume is VERY low. I can't figure out how to fix it, help?

Also the scrolling doesn't work with my Magic mouse. I might just get a regular PC mouse anyway though.

yeah, you will want to boot Windows when playing games. You are leaving frames on the table if you don't.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Got my replacement mac mini.... held my breath and upgraded the RAM. Thankfully all went well.

It speeds along now. But this was an expensive little venture....and I will avoid attempting a SSD upgrade again.

Will probably sell the broken one on ebay as parts, as suggested.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone max out the 256 GB on their Macbook Pro Retina yet? It sucks that you have to upgrade the processor as well to get the 512 GB SSD.

Anyone max out the 256 GB on their Macbook Pro Retina yet? It sucks that you have to upgrade the processor as well to get the 512 GB SSD.

No. I bought a NAS in preparation. All music, pictures, and movies reside on it.
However, if I had transferred my iMac's HDD as is into it, I would've had less than 20 Gigs free....

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No. I bought a NAS in preparation. All music, pictures, and movies reside on it.
However, if I had transferred my iMac's HDD as is into it, I would've had less than 20 Gigs free....

Does iTunes have problems if your music is on your NAS and you are away?

Any problems with the wireless only NAS connection?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a time limit on when I can redeem the free code for ML? I bought a rMBP, MBA, and a 13" MBP in the last month and I haven't even opened the 13" yet : I want to keep it sealed in case I need to sell it..but just in case I don't...I'd like to cash in on the free update :D
You can send me your second free ML code if you aren't going to use it :p

VPhys

I don't think I will ever max out the base 256 GB model. I have all of my media on external drives.

Top Bottom