• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really wanted to post in that thread, but I didn't want to bump it. I just wanted to say AAAAARGLEBARGLE at all the people saying "tap to click" is superior to clicking. No, it is not. Rant time! Tap is horrrrrrrible because there's a delay before anything happens. I can't stand that delay. The delay is because the OS needs to wait to make sure you're not going to double-tap and hold. Ugh. I hate tap to click.

On topic, the Magic Trackpad Macs use is amazing. You don't have to think. People say "hahaha, where's the right-click?" Well, put two fingers down and click. THERE's your right-click. It's intuitive. Scrolling? Stop using that mouse to drag a slider. Stop using a specially set aside track for scrolling. Place two fingers down and swipe. Easy as pie. So intuitive and time saving. Also, Natural Scrolling FTW, but that's all about preference.

MrMephistoX

I submitted the form to get my free mountain lion upgrade yesterday evening and still haven't heard anything from Apple. Any idea what the turnaround time should be?

Cudder

Buh. I am so impatient. My Air has been at "Preparing for Shipment" all damn day.

Ship damnit ship!

My MBPr got delivered today! No one was home so I left a note on the door to have it delivered to one of my neighbours. I get off work in 30 mins, can't wait to go home and playyy with ittt! :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I really wanted to post in that thread, but I didn't want to bump it. I just wanted to say AAAAARGLEBARGLE at all the people saying "tap to click" is superior to clicking. No, it is not. Rant time! Tap is horrrrrrrible because there's a delay before anything happens. I can't stand that delay. The delay is because the OS needs to wait to make sure you're not going to double-tap and hold. Ugh. I hate tap to click.

On topic, the Magic Trackpad Macs use is amazing. You don't have to think. People say "hahaha, where's the right-click?" Well, put two fingers down and click. THERE's your right-click. It's intuitive. Scrolling? Stop using that mouse to drag a slider. Stop using a specially set aside track for scrolling. Place two fingers down and swipe. Easy as pie. So intuitive and time saving. Also, Natural Scrolling FTW, but that's all about preference.
Trackpad seems to work as well on my current Windows laptop as it does on my ladyfriend's MBP. Obviously not as smooth as glass but I use two fingers for right click, can scroll on any part of the pad. Pinch, turn, three finger gestures all work well etc.

Both of us couldn't get used to the click though and she turned that off and went back to single tap.

Jimrpg

isn't it harder to play games with a trackpad?

So I just got a 1TB external HDD in the mail, and I have a question about it.

Is it okay to split it into 2 partitions, one OS X Extended for Time Machine, and one exFAT for keeping my W7 Boot Camp Steam games on? That would work, right?

Yes? Why wouldn't it? The only problem is how much space you want to give for time machine backups depending on the size of your hard drive. And I personally wouldn't do it but it's not like you're unable to. I don't like to use a drive I'm accessing heavily to play games or other stuff as my backup. If it dies from playing games on it so much you just also lost your backup. My backup drive I only use for backups, I buy a separate hard drive if I want to store media/games on it but that's me.

VPhys

I submitted the form to get my free mountain lion upgrade yesterday evening and still haven't heard anything from Apple. Any idea what the turnaround time should be?

Same. Dammit had I known it wouldn't have been instant I would have requested this a week ago!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
isn't it harder to play games with a trackpad?
I have never ever been able to play an FPS game with a mouse. Ever. I always used the keyboard. But I am able to play the shit out of FPS games and MineCraft with my Magic Trackpad. I don't know why. And people will laugh saying "Hahaha! Mouse is so much better, LOSER!" but fuck that. It works for me. I love it. It works. Period.

But that's just me. I can blaze through MineCraft, Portal, Half-Life, Duke Forever, DOOM games in ZDoom and not have a problem. Unless I try to use a mouse. Give me that Magic Trackpad any day.

JackEtc

Yes? Why wouldn't it? The only problem is how much space you want to give for time machine backups depending on the size of your hard drive. And I personally wouldn't do it but it's not like you're unable to. I don't like to use a drive I'm accessing heavily to play games or other stuff as my backup. If it dies from playing games on it so much you just also lost your backup. My backup drive I only use for backups, I buy a separate hard drive if I want to store media/games on it but that's me.

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I set up time machine on it, but haven't put games on it yet. I guess I gotta consider it some more.

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I set up time machine on it, but haven't put games on it yet. I guess I gotta consider it some more.

Ya, like I said the more you use it the more likely it fails, something I'm accessing often for media/games I don't like using as backup because it has a higher risk of failing. It could fail a couple months in just using it for backups if it's a faulty drive but raises the risk and defeats the purpose of a backup drive in a way IMO but obviously a step above having no backup at all.

Izick

Just want to second that I'm not a fan of mouse-gameplay like Abed. It's just not for me, I don't know if it's because I've always been a console gamer or what. I can play TF 2 with a mouse, but I'm not as good as when I'm playing with say a 360 controller.

m0dus

Banned
Mulled over the rmbp for a while, I decided to wait until the next iteration with more powerful graphics hardware before taking the plunge. Opted for a max-specked mbp with the hi res anti glare display, 2.7 ghz i7, 1gb 650m and 1 tb hdd. I know that, generally, the 2.7 ghz upgrade really isnt worth it, but i ran into a special situation: I got it for 2199 (essentially 2.6 ghz 15 inch price) instead of the standard 2649 it would've cost by stacking an education discount and a best buy 100$ off coupon. (essentially got $450 off). threw apple care on as well. this is my weekend warrior, while I use my OWC equipped 2011 Air as my every day computer at work...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm having the same thoughts. But I keep thinking about my gaming. I want to run Windows for my games. But how good is the Intel HD 4000 at running older new games? Are there any fairly new or even a bit older games that will run on a 4000?

I mean, I either get a maxxed out Air with just 256GB, or a Retina Pro with 16GB RAM. The Retina would be $750 more, but still cheaper than if I got a 15" Pro with similar specs. (You actually save money by getting the Retina! And still get a better display and more RAM.)

It's a hard decision. And if it weren't for my gaming... If games will run fine on a 4000 then I'll just get an Air now and get a Retina when it hits its next revision or so. By then they'll have a 13" model with hopefully discreet graphics.

m0dus

Banned
Entry level retina and similarly-specced 15' are roughly the same price. I chose the 15 over the retina due to the fact they both have the same video card, yet the retinas card has to push around 4x the pixels. A similarly specced mbp would have better performance in game in that sense, but really it depends on your need (expand ability was important to me as well). I have a 2011 air with an owc ssd that runs beautifully as a ultraportable every day computer, but if I didn't have that I might have leaned more toward a retina as a mixture of desktop replacement and ultralight computing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Entry level retina and similarly-specced 15' are roughly the same price. I chose the 15 over the retina due to the fact they both have the same video card, yet the retinas card has to push around 4x the pixels. A similarly specced mbp would have better performance in game in that sense, but really it depends on your need (expand ability was important to me as well). I have a 2011 air with an owc ssd that runs beautifully as a ultraportable every day computer, but if I didn't have that I might have leaned more toward a retina as a mixture of desktop replacement and ultralight computing.
The closest I could configure came to $100 more, but you get an optical drive. I'd rather get the Retina Pro because it's lighter. But then again, the Air is much lighter but much less powerful and I'd be afraid my games would still run badly.

Dreaver

I have got a quick question, I just received my (first) Macbook Pro. Do I first fully need to charge it before using? I want to be careful with the battery.

LCfiner

It's actually usable.

I like how in Windows business environments everyone walks around with their laptops open because they're afraid of putting it to sleep and with a mouse because their trackpad sucks.

I see this a dozen times a week

and they carry around power bricks too, since the batteries only last 3 or 4 hours.

MrMephistoX

Finally got my Lion email at work. Oh well can't really complain when it's free :)

It's actually usable.

I like how in Windows business environments everyone walks around with their laptops open because they're afraid of putting it to sleep and with a mouse because their trackpad sucks.

True dat! I have yet to see a single person in my department not walk around with their laptop open. Worried about macs and business? Get parallels.

Enco

My Air screen looks atrocious to me now.

The retina iPad, MacBook and iPhone have ruined me. I can't stand the ugly as sin Air screen.

Brizzo24

too many posts to search thru. Anyone recommend a good controller to game with on my macbook pro? for Steam titles like super meat boy, etc.

thanks!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't know why I'm doing this, but I might pick up a Macbook Pro Retina. I was waiting for this full revision I saw coming and then was dissapointed by the price and fact that the screen is so powerful that the specs can't power it, the display has to be scaled, and was later revealed to causing lag. I also don't take laptops many places, but maybe that will change :)

My HP Envy 15 gets too hot and the battery seems to die in like nothing. I always have to have it tied to an electrical outlet or it dies real quick.

It's funny comparing the education discount to my companies discount. The default retina display macbook pro comes out to the $1999.00 on the education discount. The business discount comes in at $2023. The higher spec comes in at $2599 on the education site and the business discount brings it to $2575. Of course the education discounts give $100 gift card.

What are the chances of trading someone the app store/itunes gift card for a mac store gift card?

I'm still deciding on the base Macbook Pro or the upper spec one. And if I get the base Macbook Pro whether I should get the 16 GB. I would most likely be getting the apple care which would be increasing the price. I guess the thing that is bothering me is the hard drive space. I saw mention of using a USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. I saw it was discovered the SSD is user replaceable? I heard these samsung drivers were the best ones though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Powering a display with this high of a resolution requires specs that some people still don't think is powerful enough in this Macbook Pro . Some things such as running things at lower resolutions seems to be needed especially in games.

Lag is happening from the scaling happening twice because of the way the display works. Most notably complaints of scrolling lag seems to be a major complaint. I also see complaints with other parts of the OS. Fixed slightly in Mountain Lion with software update. Some people still complain it was there.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mulled over the rmbp for a while, I decided to wait until the next iteration with more powerful graphics hardware before taking the plunge. Opted for a max-specked mbp with the hi res anti glare display, 2.7 ghz i7, 1gb 650m and 1 tb hdd. I know that, generally, the 2.7 ghz upgrade really isnt worth it, but i ran into a special situation: I got it for 2199 (essentially 2.6 ghz 15 inch price) instead of the standard 2649 it would've cost by stacking an education discount and a best buy 100$ off coupon. (essentially got $450 off). threw apple care on as well. this is my weekend warrior, while I use my OWC equipped 2011 Air as my every day computer at work...

I ended up doing the same. Except I bout a used late 2011, with 2.5 years of applecare left (for $1400!)

I am putting in 16GB Ram and replacing the DVD with a 128GB Samsung830 SSD as the boot drive. Heavier, no USB 3.0, and my screen isn't god tier *sad* but after all my upgrades I am still over 1000 cheaper than a rMBP would have cost me.

Any reccomendations from dual HDD MBP users on which bay to put the SSD in? obviously if only the HDD bay supports full 6GB/s speed its a no brainer, but is there a benefit to switching the HDD over to the ODD or is it in the best spot for heat considerations?
In related news my SSD came today, but my ODD caddy isn't here yet so all I can do is look at it for a few days. :(

TUSR

Banned
Powering a display with this high of a resolution requires specs that some people still don't think is powerful enough in this Macbook Pro . Some things such as running things at lower resolutions seems to be needed especially in games.

Lag is happening from the scaling happening twice because of the way the display works. Most notably complaints of scrolling lag seems to be a major complaint. I also see complaints with other parts of the OS. Fixed slightly in Mountain Lion with software update. Some people still complain it was there.

still is even with ML, I was dicking around on a demo unit on tuesday

You're complaining about not being able to game at that res? What... That's pretty understandable for a laptop.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I bought an Xbox controller and was never able to get the drivers to work at all. It's bullcrap. And there was no way to calibrate it that I could find anywhere. Games would all act differently and never acted right. I wasted $40 for nothing.

It's wierd, cause the controller works. It seems really spotty if the game supports it or not. For example, Portal 2 supports it perfectly. But Super Meat does not. After doing a little research on their forums, it seems the game itself isn't supporting the controller on Mac. They say it'd be too much work to fix it cause they'd have to recode all the keyboard controls too. I'm finding similar for Limbo and Braid. I read in Limbo, you can at least use some helper app to map the controller buttons to the Keyboard and it'll work that way. No worries though, I just Bootcamp if I want to play those games with the controller. It would be nice to figure out how to get it to work on the Mac side though.

I bought an Xbox controller and was never able to get the drivers to work at all. It's bullcrap. And there was no way to calibrate it that I could find anywhere. Games would all act differently and never acted right. I wasted $40 for nothing.

Ambitious

So does Chrome run like ass on every MBPr or...

I haven't noticed any performance problems so far, on Lion at least. Are there some sites where it's particularly bad for you or is it slow in general? Is it just about loading websites or does even the app itself lag?

By the way, I just compared Safari 6 with Chrome 20 using Peacekeeper and SunSpider:
Chrome got about 3700 points in Peacekeeper, Safari only 2900. Though this big difference is probably because Safari doesn't support two of the video codecs. In general, the FPS were higher on Chrome, but in one or two of the tests Safari was better.

In SunSpider, they were nearly equal (158 (Chrome) vs 154 (Safari)), but for some reason Safari took way longer.

Sapiens

Wait till they have Haswell, IMO.

Blackhead

Redarse
Safari crashed twice in the first five minutes after updating to mountain lion. But I don't care about the bugs or benchmarks or what not, it simply boils down to the fact that Safari is updated for the retina display and none of the other browsers are.

Hey dude, be a bro and put the quote above your reply like everybody else so your posts are easier to read. thanks in advance

Zapages

My MBPr just shipped... Its about a week or two week earlier... This is strange... suppose to come by August 2. Hopefully it has ML pre-installed. But I am happy. :)

Top Bottom