• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Sec0nd

What if I would buy a 27" iMac with the i7 processor and 8GB of RAM. Would I be able to properly play steam games, using Bootcamp, on high-max settings?

njean777

I see, when is this expected to be?

But still, would I be able to play through bootcamp on high to max settings?

Probably not everything set to high, I had a 27in Imac before I returned it for the retina pro and I remember being able to play most games on high/very high but not on max resolution. I usually just ran the game at 1080p/1600x1050. It scales really well and is not very blurry at all playing at a lower resolution.

Does iTunes have problems if your music is on your NAS and you are away?

Any problems with the wireless only NAS connection?

I have all my music on a NAS for when I'm at home. I have iTunes Match setup with all of my music so I have a 2nd iTunes library created on my MacBook that accesses my iTunes Match stuff so I can stream my music from iCloud when I'm not at home. Of course that relies on having an internet connection wherever I am trying to access it from.

I have backed this on Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive and will likely copy my music to it so that I always have a local copy with me and my rMBP.

Sec0nd

Probably not everything set to high, I had a 27in Imac before I returned it for the retina pro and I remember being able to play most games on high/very high but not on max resolution. I usually just ran the game at 1080p/1600x1050. It scales really well and is not very blurry at all playing at a lower resolution.

I see, not very exciting.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How much better do you guys think the Apple Cinema Display will look compared to my Dell WFP2408? That's the monitor I would be replacing, if I can fit it on the desk it would be a secondary display.

JackEtc

I wonder if I were to stop at an Apple Store and ask if they'd be able to say how many have been returned for this defect. I'm glad it's an isolated batch, but still, it's just as bad as worrying that you might get a dead pixel.

People online narrowed it down to a certain week of production for the MBPr's, and mine happened to be in that week.

I tried to use the dication feature after downloading ML and realized that it wasnt working. Then I tried using facetime and skype but no dice.

This could either be a weird software problem or a hardware problem....is there any way I can check if its a hardware problem?

Utako

Banned
It's the most advanced new technology wise, but it does have some problems that can be fixed or will be fixed.

Lagginess will he fixed by Mountain Lion and a Lion update.

A batch of them had screen ghosting problems. But it was isolated and Apple is replacing them without problems.
Thanks for the info! I was completely out-of-date on this.

Korosenai

Is there anyway to screen cap a dvd image?

I'm wanting to create an avatar from one of my dvd's, but every time I try and screen cap it, it won't work.

kaskade

I need to buy a new trackpad. Mine won't click(I spilt some liquid in it a while back). The multitouch and tap to click works but I can't physically press it. I might be upgrading around christmas time but it's a pain in the ass since I can't drag stuff around without my mouse. I just don't feel like spending the money on it.

How much better do you guys think the Apple Cinema Display will look compared to my Dell WFP2408? That's the monitor I would be replacing, if I can fit it on the desk it would be a secondary display.
|<------------------------>|

About that much?

I have a 2407... I haven't seen the Cinema Display, but I have seen the 27" iMac which presumably has the same panel. If you can stand the gloss, it'll be quite an upgrade. The added 'real estate' from all those extra pixels is great for multitasking, and the higher PPI makes everything look sharper (although stuff will be smaller too, by default anyway).

But I'm more keen on the 27" Dell tbh...

Trojita

|<------------------------>|

About that much?

I have a 2407... I haven't seen the Cinema Display, but I have seen the 27" iMac which presumably has the same panel. If you can stand the gloss, it'll be quite an upgrade. The added 'real estate' from all those extra pixels is great for multitasking, and the higher PPI makes everything look sharper (although stuff will be smaller too, by default anyway).

But I'm more keen on the 27" Dell tbh...

I've heard nothing but bad things about the new Dell 27 and 30 inch monitor's aggressive AG Coating.

Jesus christ my hardware problems just won't stop today.
I plugged in my external harddrive but my Mac can't "see" it. However it shows up in disk utility. Does anyone know what's going on? I can't have those files erased :(

kruskev

I need to buy a new trackpad. Mine won't click(I spilt some liquid in it a while back). The multitouch and tap to click works but I can't physically press it. I might be upgrading around christmas time but it's a pain in the ass since I can't drag stuff around without my mouse. I just don't feel like spending the money on it.

enable touch click and three finger drag. So good

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
You can send me your second free ML code if you aren't going to use it :p

lol

I found out from here and now lifehacker that I can download 1 copy using 1 code and install it on all 3 machines.

I might give a code out if it isn't tied into my apple account. There is a problem. I did the whole free update form on the site, but Apple has to review my proof of purchase which is stupid. That was this morning. No codes yet.

I did get a firmware update earlier for the Air which makes the screen really dim.

kaskade

enable touch click and three finger drag. So good

Wow, I don't know how I never noticed that before. I used to click down the trackpad and then use my other finger to resize/drag. I think I'll just hold off and put the money towards my upgrade now.

So I have a question if someone can help. Does OSX support trim or something similar now? I remember when SSDs were first becoming big, OSX didn't support trim or some other garbage collecting software and so you'd feel your SSD slowing down over time. Is this still the case? I want to upgrade the hard drive in my 09 MBP and was just curious if it was fixed by now. Thanks.

kaioshade

So I have a question if someone can help. Does OSX support trim or something similar now? I remember when SSDs were first becoming big, OSX didn't support trim or some other garbage collecting software and so you'd feel your SSD slowing down over time. Is this still the case? I want to upgrade the hard drive in my 09 MBP and was just curious if it was fixed by now. Thanks.

TRIM is still unsupported on non-apple branded drives

Can anyone round up all the latest rumours and tell me what the expected specs for the new fall iMacs are? Are we going to see a 7000 series GPU in there? Maybe with 2GB? I'm looking for this + an i7 Quad Core, maybe 6GB RAM and an improved display... am I asking too much?

Trojita

Can anyone round up all the latest rumours and tell me what the expected specs for the new fall iMacs are? Are we going to see a 7000 series GPU in there? Maybe with 2GB? I'm looking for this + an i7 Quad Core, maybe 6GB RAM and an improved display... am I asking too much?

There is nothing near concrete but guesses.

Wouldn't we have heard of prototype large retina screens if they were going to make it in the iMac this year?

Or is there not enough hype for the iMac as much as the iPhone for people to try and find out this stuff?

So, didn't get a response last time, but I'll ask again.

I want to upgrade to a Macbook something. I've never had a Mac before, but I hear it's the best of its breed, so I'm looking to get one. I was thinking about either picking up a refurbished 13" Macbook Air or a refurbished 13" Macbook Pro which are both 929$.

Which do you prefer? The air is slightly older and is slower but comes with an SSD, the pro has faster hardware but a slower hard drive. The Air is also much thinner/lighter. What do you prefer/what are you using it for?

Air is also non upgradable so hard drive/ram is not upgradable where as the pro it's able to be removed. I don't think you can change harddrives, I know you definitely can't change ram since it's soldered on.

Izick

Which do you prefer? The air is slightly older and is slower but comes with an SSD, the pro has faster hardware but a slower hard drive. The Air is also much thinner/lighter. What do you prefer/what are you using it for?

Air is also non upgradable so hard drive/ram is not upgradable where as the pro it's able to be removed. I don't think you can change harddrives, I know you definitely can't change ram since it's soldered on.

I really only plan on using it around the house, and for surfing the web, watching videos, and maybe, maybe playing some games lightly. Something like maybe TF 2. It would be cool to play like Starcraft II and Diablo III, just to see how they are, but that's not a must have for me. I definitely want something lighter, faster and cooler than my current Toshiba Laptop.

I really only plan on using it around the house, and for surfing the web, watching videos, and maybe, maybe playing some games lightly. Something like maybe TF 2. It would be cool to play like Starcraft II and Diablo III, just to see how they are, but that's not a must have for me. I definitely want something lighter, faster and cooler than my current Toshiba Laptop.

Sounds like you might enjoy the air more but you should try to mess with them in person to double check. I'm not sure how they perform on games but you should be able to find online. They have same graphics and stuff just one has a slower processor and those are popular games so there should be a million benchmarks for them if you search.

Izick

Sounds like you might enjoy the air more but you should try to mess with them in person to double check. I'm not sure how they perform on games but you should be able to find online. They have same graphics and stuff just one has a slower processor and those are popular games so there should be a million benchmarks for them if you search.

Like I said, gaming isn't a dealbreaker by any means, just would be a cool bonus to play those things. I don't think there's anywhere near me where I can mess around with an Air, but my friend has a MBP, not sure what year (I think it was a 13" screen) and I liked the design of it for sure. Still pretty small for such a powerful laptop. On the other hand, having a cooler, quieter laptop with a SSD is very enticing.

Like I said, gaming isn't a dealbreaker by any means, just would be a cool bonus to play those things. I don't think there's anywhere near me where I can mess around with an Air, but my friend has a MBP, not sure what year (I think it was a 13" screen) and I liked the design of it for sure. Still pretty small for such a powerful laptop. On the other hand, having a cooler, quieter laptop with a SSD is very enticing.

I think pretty much everyone loves the air design too, it's really really thin. There's no bestbuy or anything that has a mac section?

There's some Best Buys like a half-hour away. I guess I could see next time I'm in the area.

I don't know, I just think it's nice for people to see and feel laptops before they purchase, especially for the amount of money you're paying and just make sure it's what you want.

Izick

I don't know, I just think it's nice for people to see and feel laptops before they purchase, especially for the amount of money you're paying and just make sure it's what you want.

Yeah, you're probably right. I should definitely get out there and give it a whirl first. Even so, it's really hard to create the usual type of environment of laptop use though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I have a mid-2010 13" MBP.

Thinking of upgrading to either the newer 2012 13" MBP or possibly(but really uncertain) 15" retina MBP.

Mostly I am curious as to how significant the bump in specs and user experience the process would be worth. I will mostly be using it for work and the occasional Blizzard game(Diablo, WoW). I also am mostly thinking tossing in an SSD would be a huge help as the current HD in my 2010 model is pretty sluggish, especially bootup. Not to mention the slimmer design and weight(No Superdrive which I don't even need really).

Anyway, just want some thoughts! Thanks.

JackEtc

So I just got a 1TB external HDD in the mail, and I have a question about it.

Is it okay to split it into 2 partitions, one OS X Extended for Time Machine, and one exFAT for keeping my W7 Boot Camp Steam games on? That would work, right?

Top Bottom