• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

LCfiner

Hitokage said:
It is my impression that Snow Leopard is what Leopard was supposed to be in the first place before the iPhone completely borked its release schedule.

I don't think that the rewriting of the finder in cocoa or the move into 64 bit plus the elimination of PPC support were ever in the cards for leopard.

maybe some of the end user features like exchange support were cut (just guessing) but the core rewrites and new apis are really big undertakings and i don't think they were ever going to be part of leopard.

XMonkey said:
Ghetto solution: Hold Ctrl and scroll up with your mouse wheel.

Wow thanks.

Jasoco said:
GameTrailers player is shit. Their "Fullscreen" isn't full screen. It's full browser window. Players like YouTube and the like all work fine. In fact, Gametrailers is the only video player I've seen that is purposely programmed to be stupid-assed. Whoever programmed it should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. Seriously, it's probably a checkbox in Flash to make your player fullscreen capable. This is just unacceptable. They even have the balls to call it "full screen". Full screen my ass! FU, Gametrailers.

Hmm odd it seems only Gametrailers does that. It full-screened fine for me in Windows.

bud

is there any way to make a tab out of a window? i know you can do the opposite (drag a tab out of a window to create a new one, in case anyone's wondering lolz).

Danoss

bud said:
is there any way to make a tab out of a window? i know you can do the opposite (drag a tab out of a window to create a new one, in case anyone's wondering lolz).

If it's in Safari 4.

Window > Merge All Windows

Danoss

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yes. The way you drag it out is the same way you drag it in.
So you can.

It seems though, that if the separate window doesn't have tabs, you have to at least create a blank one to bring that page across to another window. Then close the now redundant window.

OzPulse said:
So you can.

It seems though, that if the separate window doesn't have tabs, you have to at least create a blank one to bring that page across to another window. Then close the now redundant window.
Good point. I was wondering why bud's question seemed so obvious, but I forgot that Safari by default has no visible tabs when there is just one.

When you have just one tab open, go to View -> Show Tab Bar. I kind of hate how the browser window resizes when tabs appear, so I make it so there is always a tab bar.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
So I have my Finder set up as Lists and pretty much after I drag and drop a file or folder, I can't drag and drop another immediately after until I perform another action, usually just clicking on an open application and using it. But I have no problems dragging and dropping in Icon and Columns mode.

tmdorsey

Alright I have a question that pertains to iTunes and iPhoto. Is there anyway to share libraries across accounts? Like is there way to setup iTunes where my wife would see the same library when she logs in with her account as I do when I log in under my account?

tmdorsey said:
Alright I have a question that pertains to iTunes and iPhoto. Is there anyway to share libraries across accounts? Like is there way to setup iTunes where my wife would see the same library when she logs in with her account as I do when I log in under my account?
The rule with iTunes is that if it makes sense, iTunes doesn't support it.

I use Mojo to keep libraries synced across computers.

tmdorsey

The rule with iTunes is that if it makes sense, iTunes doesn't support it.

I use Mojo to keep libraries synced across computers.

Damnit. I was afraid of that. Would Mojo work if we are using the same Macbook though?

giga

Phobophile said:
So I have my Finder set up as Lists and pretty much after I drag and drop a file or folder, I can't drag and drop another immediately after until I perform another action, usually just clicking on an open application and using it. But I have no problems dragging and dropping in Icon and Columns mode.
Delete the finder plist. Relaunch Finder.

I'm having trouble with handbrake. When I go to convert/rip the movie the audio seems like it's too slow and therefore sounds weird. It sounds like when a person is talking in slow mo during a movie. This is the first movie I've had this problem with and I don't know what's wrong. The movie is bender's big score if that matters.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
tmdorsey said:

All you need to do hold the alt/option key when you click the iTunes icon. It should ask for a library. Just go to that library file, and open it. It will open every time after that.

My wife and I use the same Macbook, and the library is "shared" this way. We can't access it at the same time, but we never need to (it's shared on our Windows machine this way, as well).

This works for everything, by the way, including iPhoto.

So I have my external hard drive set up as a shared folder on my Windows 7 PC and I've been connecting to it just fine over the last few weeks. But last night, I go to connect and it just stalls out. Nothing has changed (it's a saved server, so it's not like I typed it in incorrectly) and it tries to connect for a minute or two and then tells me:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://ip.address" could not be read or written.
(Error code -36)

So should I just wait it out or is there a fix to this? It just came out of the blue after nothing had changed.

Edit: Can't believe I didn't ipconfig my Windows PC. The IP address just changed. :|

Can Microsoft Word read and open Pages (from iWork '09) files?

I know it works vice-versa but I looked up on Google and can't find a reply if it works as most questions are geared to the other way around.

And if it can't than is there a way to open iWork files in Windows?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Can Microsoft Word read and open Pages (from iWork '09) files?

I know it works vice-versa but I looked up on Google and can't find a reply if it works as most questions are geared to the other way around.

And if it can't than is there a way to open iWork files in Windows?
Why not save a copy of the Pages doc as a Word doc? Pages can do that. I just tried saving a Pages '09 doc and opening it with MS Word Mac 2008 and it doesn't work.

Danoss

When you have just one tab open, go to View -> Show Tab Bar. I kind of hate how the browser window resizes when tabs appear, so I make it so there is always a tab bar.
Haha, I never noticed that. Thanks for the pointer, it certainly makes me happy now.

mrkgoo

OzPulse said:
Haha, I never noticed that. Thanks for the pointer, it certainly makes me happy now.
Another hint for Safari 4:

Hate that "add bookmark button" in the address bar?

Go to View -> Customize toolbar. Add the separate "add bookmark" button, causing it to disappear. Then remove the separate button if you wish.

28vdhk6.png

Phobophile said:
Why not save a copy of the Pages doc as a Word doc? Pages can do that. I just tried saving a Pages '09 doc and opening it with MS Word Mac 2008 and it doesn't work.

That's what I originally thought but I couldn't find out how to do it in "Save As".

Though I just released that I could click on "Share" and send it as a Word document (which works better for me).

God I love my Mac!:D

Thanks anyways!

EDIT - Huh "Export" too. How could I have missed that?

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
That's what I originally thought but I couldn't find out how to do it in "Save As".

Though I just released that I could click on "Share" and send it as a Word document (which works better for me).

God I love my Mac!:D

Thanks anyways!

EDIT - Huh "Export" too. How could I have missed that?

So you're back to excited after your sugar crash the other day? Go and post us an update!

Hey, I can't believe nobody posted in this thread that VLC 1.0.0 is out...

Looks hot. New HD audio codec support? Blu-ray support?

Live recording is awesome.

VLC 1.0.0 Features:

• Free, Open Source and cross-platform
• Independant of systems codecs to support most video types
• Live recording
• Instant pausing and Frame-by-Frame support
• Finer speed controls
• New HD codecs (AES3, Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, Blu-Ray Linear PCM, Real Video 3.0 and 4.0, ...)
• New formats (Raw Dirac, M2TS, ...) and major improvements in many formats...
• New Dirac encoder and MP3 fixed-point encoder
• Video scaling in fullscreen
• RTSP Trickplay support
• Zipped file playback
• Customizable toolbars
• Easier encoding GUI in Qt interface
• Better integration in Gtk environments
• MTP devices on linux
• AirTunes streaming
• New skin for the skins2 interface

please stop bumping this thread until macmall charges my macbook pro and does the overnight shipping I paid for :(

I ordered around 5am EST looks like it wont ship tonight

how hard its it to get back my old .mac email from Apple?

mrkgoo

Pristine_Condition said:

I never knew a new VLC was so important. I have it and keep it up to date, but I prefer to use QT whenever possible. No real reason, but generally, it works for most things.

What is live recording?

mrkgoo said:
So you're back to excited after your sugar crash the other day? Go and post us an update!

I did but nobody replied.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there someway to use a yahoo mail account in the built in mail app in os x?

Normally you'd go to "File" --> "Add Account" and register it, but Yahoo! is greedy and only allows opening Yahoo! through third party clients an exclusive feature in Yahoo! Mail Plus.

Pristine_Condition said:

Hell yeah! I LOVE VLC!

Flying_Phoenix said:
I did but nobody replied.

Normally you'd go to "File" --> "Add Account" and register it, but Yahoo! is greedy and only allows opening Yahoo! through third party clients an exclusive feature in Yahoo! Mail Plus.

Hell yeah! I LOVE VLC!

I know there are apps for making it pop on windows but I can't really find any for mac...

Guled

Is it safe to get iwork 09, is there talk of iwork 10 being announced soon? I hear they are traditionally released in August

Guled said:
Is it safe to get iwork 09, is there talk of iwork 10 being announced soon? I hear they are traditionally released in August

It used to be every Jan, then in 07 they pushed it back to August, then Jan again this year. It's possible they could release a new version in Jan 10, but I'd say mid to late 10 is more likely.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pristine_Condition said:

I wonder if it can do softsubs decently now...

Tieno

Anyone know of a good system stat display app? I already use the widget istat nano, but it's not flexible in its display options (virtually none).

Mobius 1

Tieno said:
Anyone know of a good system stat display app? I already use the widget istat nano, but it's not flexible in its display options (virtually none).
You are looking for Geekbox.

LCfiner

Tieno said:

istat also has a pro version of the widget (still free) with more customization and a program that runs in the menu bar.

got my macbook 2 hours ago and I am so lost

what the hell is all this new OS X stuff how the hell am I going to learn all of it?

with my old Safari browser I could type a keyword and it would take me to keyword.com without having to type www. all the damn time I am lazy how do I get that back?

last night I was worried that I would miss my Wii Browser Zoom in feature but OMG! what the hell is this! Anymore sweet stuff like this?

I need new media video players now to start my anime watching :D

this macbook is so sexy

giga

Smiles and Cries said:

what the hell is all this new OS X stuff how the hell am I going to learn all of it?

with my old Safari browser I could type a keyword and it would take me to keyword.com without having to type www. all the damn time I am lazy how do I get that back?

last night I was worried that I would miss my Wii Browser Zoom in feature but OMG! what the hell is this! Anymore sweet stuff like this?

this macbook is so sexy
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://alexstaubo.github.com/keywurl/

http://perian.org/

LCfiner

Smiles and Cries said:

this macbook is so sexy

this hasn't changed. in fact, you don't even need to type the ".com" you can be even lazier.

Safari's starting to act weird with me. Usually when I close a window with the top right red button it hides it from the screen but I can open it up again by clicking on the Safari icon on the dock. But now when I close the window it completely closes the window as when I click on the Safari icon again it brings me back to the home page and any extra tabs I had are now gone as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

komarkaze

I have a noobie question. I made an iMovie project in 720p format. I run the share command with fullest quality settings and it generates a 600 MB .mov file. If I try to view this .mov file on another computer, Quicktime gives an error that it needs a 3rd party codec but doesn't say what it is. If I try to upload to Youtube, the file uploads but the website fails to convert the video. Any idea of what I should do?

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Safari's starting to act weird with me. Usually when I close a window with the top right red button it hides it from the screen but I can open it up again by clicking on the Safari icon on the dock. But now when I close the window it completely closes the window as when I click on the Safari icon again it brings me back to the home page and any extra tabs I had are now gone as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

As far as I know, When you ever closed a Safari window using the red button, it closes the window, and all the tabs. I've never know it to come back with your last tabs.

You can, however, use cmd+h to "hide" the window, which does as you speak. Furthermore, if you do close a window, you can alwasy go to History-> Reopen last closed window to bring back where you last were.

Unless you actually MEANT top right red button, in which case I don't know what the Hell you're referring to.

Top Bottom