• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Naka

Tagging this thread for later. I've already downloaded some of the apps listed in here but I figure this thread is a great resource. Just got my first mac last week and am loving it so far.

I need some help with installing binaries or how to find/access them at all. I'm a complete newb when it comes to programming on the Mac, concerning the more advanced stuff, like binaries.

I have been learning Lua for a week now, passing commands through the terminal using a Lua distribution from this site. Now I want to use a text editor that can run Lua scripts. I downloaded Smultron, but I have no idea how to create a run command that passes the script written in Smultron into the Lua compiler. Some help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jasoco

Banned
DEAD RABBIT said:
I need some help with installing binaries or how to find/access them at all. I'm a complete newb when it comes to programming on the Mac, concerning the more advanced stuff, like binaries.

I have been learning Lua for a week now, passing commands through the terminal using a Lua distribution from this site. Now I want to use a text editor that can run Lua scripts. I downloaded Smultron, but I have no idea how to create a run command that passes the script written in Smultron into the Lua compiler. Some help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
If you like Lua, and want to try your hand at game programming, try LÖVE2D. It is amazingly fast and easy to create any kind of game you want that will work on all three operating systems. Don't let the overuse of pastel pink and blue scare you away. It's so awesome. :lol

You can make games that use the mouse or keyboard. And it draws stuff so fast it actually keeps 60FPS even when drawing hundreds of images on screen every frame. It blew my socks off I tell you what.

I didn't know anything about Lua before I downloaded it. I had never even heard of it.

Jasoco said:
If you like Lua, and want to try your hand at game programming, try LÖVE2D. It is amazingly fast and easy to create any kind of game you want that will work on all three operating systems. Don't let the overuse of pastel pink and blue scare you away. It's so awesome. :lol

You can make games that use the mouse or keyboard. And it draws stuff so fast it actually keeps 60FPS even when drawing hundreds of images on screen every frame. It blew my socks off I tell you what.

I didn't know anything about Lua before I downloaded it. I had never even heard of it.

I heard that Lua was used quite frequently as an embedded binary by game developers. I dug somewhat deeper and I'm really liking this scripting language. Will check that link out (seems its bandwidth is exceeded right now).

I have kicked Smultron out of the window for Eclipse and got it working. Eclipse has its own Lua developer plugin (gotta use version 1.1, version 1.2 seems to be unavailable at the moment), you'll still need a Lua binary though. Link for those interested: http://luaeclipse.luaforge.net/manual.html#installation

Another question relating to my original inquiry.

Apparently there are directories like /usr/bin/, but I can't find them anywhere. Are they hidden from the Finder?

EDIT: The correct link to the 2D engine is http://love2d.org/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DEAD RABBIT said:
Apparently there are directories like /usr/bin/, but I can't find them anywhere. Are they hidden from the Finder?
Yup, but Mac specific files are going to be in /Applications, /Library, and /System rather than the usual /usr, /var, etc. Usually you would open something like Terminal or iTerm.

Can someone explain how to stop google/Safari from displaying "This site may harm your computer" warning? I know the dangers of not having that warning, but i'd still like to stop safari/google from giving me that warning.

ant1532

Banned
OKAY. here is the issue.

I wanted to play steam games on my mac so i bootcamped my shit and installed all the drivers and watnot and steam games ran fine. TF2 is running GREAT.

BUT.

Apparently there is issues with vista/w7 with the microphone and it runs absolutely normal on the actual OS but Steam or other programs for some reason can not catch it. And the audio drivers are shit and the sound is so low.

SO.

I want to figure out what is the best way to get around this. I hear there is good emulatations for OSX for running windows but I really dont know much about that. I also dont know how to get rid of the bootcamped windows. Or is there a way I can downgrade windows 7 to XP if that works?

What should I do to get around this GaF????

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Steam will run like shit in anything but Bootcamp, so avoid that. Did you tweak the microphone levels in TF2? Also try going to your control panels > sound and tweaking the microphone level there.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I've only seen this when there actually was a problem with the network.

Vyer said:
I've only ever come across this on network issues (I.e. Other computers on the network can't get on)

It happens to me on just about every public network. For example, I was at two different airports today flying back to school from a visit home for the weekend, and despite travelers all around me with Windows machines using the free airport wi-fi, I was getting the "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet" and couldn't connect. At home or in the office on private networks I never have any issues.

ant1532 said:
OKAY. here is the issue.

I wanted to play steam games on my mac so i bootcamped my shit and installed all the drivers and watnot and steam games ran fine. TF2 is running GREAT.

BUT.

Apparently there is issues with vista/w7 with the microphone and it runs absolutely normal on the actual OS but Steam or other programs for some reason can not catch it. And the audio drivers are shit and the sound is so low.

SO.

I want to figure out what is the best way to get around this. I hear there is good emulatations for OSX for running windows but I really dont know much about that. I also dont know how to get rid of the bootcamped windows. Or is there a way I can downgrade windows 7 to XP if that works?

What should I do to get around this GaF????

Use Bootcamp Assistent to get rid of the windows partition.

Don't use emulators to run games, especially 3D games. Most emulators/Virtual Machines don't emulate DirectX or don't do a good job of it. They usually depend on OpenGL for 3D uses.

On the microphone issue, stick with the windows partition for gaming and buy a bluetooth headset or another external microphone.

I might be interested in "bootcamping" my Mac if it's good enough. I know nothing of graphics cards, processor speeds, RAM, etc.

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

What games will this allow me to play?

ant1532

Banned
DEAD RABBIT said:
Use Bootcamp Assistent to get rid of the windows partition.

Don't use emulators to run games, especially 3D games. Most emulators/Virtual Machines don't emulate DirectX or don't do a good job of it. They usually depend on OpenGL for 3D uses.

On the microphone issue, stick with the windows partition for gaming and buy a bluetooth headset or another external microphone.
scorcho said:
Steam will run like shit in anything but Bootcamp, so avoid that. Did you tweak the microphone levels in TF2? Also try going to your control panels > sound and tweaking the microphone level there.
thanks but there there is an actual issue where microphones wont work with steam and windows7 and there is actually no fix yet... i did every possible thing to fix it i think(every menu configuration, updating drivers, etc) so should i just run XP? how would I go on to downgrade then?

Dax01 said:
I might be interested in "bootcamping" my Mac if it's good enough. I know nothing of graphics cards, processor speeds, RAM, etc.

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

What games will this allow me to play?
How would anyone know? You didn't list a video card.

Killthee said:
System Profiler -> Hardware -> Graphics/Displays
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9583
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250F-219
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.219
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Wasn't sure what was important or not, so I just copy and pasted all of it.:lol

You've got the same iMac as me. I have 4 GB of RAM and the 24" screen though.

Is RAM that important for running games? How much of a difference does 2 Gigs make?

I'm such a noob at this.
:lol

I play Left 4 Dead a lot at high settings at 720p, if that helps.
Kind of. I guess I can't play Crysis or anything like that, right?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Dax01 said:
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9583
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250F-219
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.219
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Wasn't sure what was important or not, so I just copy and pasted all of it.:lol
The name of the card (which almost always has the chipset model in it) and the amount of dedicated memory the card has is the important stuff.

Xun

Ok this is embarrassing since I do know a great deal about Mac OS (I've been a user my whole life).

But how the fuck do I take a screen grab like this?

aw9hl1.png

I downloaded the Crysis demo a long time ago. I have no good news to report.
lol. Thanks for the help. Maybe when I go off to college and get a laptop, I'll looking more into requirements for computer games.

giga

Xun said:
Ok this is embarrassing since I do know a great deal about Mac OS (I've been a user my whole life).

[MG]http://i40.tinypic.com/aw9hl1.png[/IMG]
Spacebar after cmd+shift+4.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Xun said:

aw9hl1.png
Command-Shift-4, space bar, select window. A PNG will be on your desktop

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Jimmy Stav said:
Wait, what?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just relaunched the finder and it seemed to fix it. I'm assuming that's what you meant.
ead92

Does the same thing.

So I need help in making a decision, I was on Craigslist and someone has put up their Mac Mini 1.25 with a load of extra shit for $275 and says it works fine. Should I consider this or try to get the newer ones with the Intel processor? I don't have a computer at the moment and been using PS3's shitty browser for the last 2 months. Plus I have no job and hard to get $500 but I do have around 275...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DJ Crimson said:
So I need help in making a decision, I was on Craigslist and someone has put up their Mac Mini 1.25 with a load of extra shit for $275 and says it works fine. Should I consider this or try to get the newer ones with the Intel processor? I don't have a computer at the moment and been using PS3's shitty browser for the last 2 months. Plus I have no job and hard to get $500 but I do have around 275...
It won't run Snow Leopard or play HD video, but it'll run a web browser and other stuff.

Hitokage said:
It won't run Snow Leopard or play HD video, but it'll run a web browser and other stuff.
Well I just checked the Apple store and apparently you can pay off the thing $14 a month if I reading this correctly. Maybe I should just do this and just get a brand new one. Anyone have any experience with this?:lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DJ Crimson said:
Well I just checked the Apple store and apparently you can pay off the thing $14 a month if I reading this correctly. Maybe I should just do this and just get a brand new one. Anyone have any experience with this?:lol
It just means signing up for their credit card as I understand it.

giga

DJ Crimson said:
I say no. You can get a 1.66 Core Duo mac mini for ~350 on ebay.

PPC mac mini has max ram of 1gb. Core Duo max is 2gb. Oh and the Snow Leopard bit as said above.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/item...s&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=mac+mini+1.83&_osacat=0

Hitokage said:
It just means signing up for their credit card as I understand it.
Ah, seems there is also a Bill Me Later option but I guess I can just look through eBay. Thanks for all the help so far.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DEAD RABBIT said:
VMs aren't technically emulation in the purest sense, as they only emulate certain hardware calls while letting CPU instructions run as-is. Anyway, VMware Fusion and probably Parallels Desktop both trap Direct3D calls and translate them into OpenGL calls.

Actually, for really basic stuff like Quake 3 at medium settings** or Baldur's Gate II it works rather well on my Mac Mini with GF 9400M using Fusion, but it's definitely not for recent games like Team Fortress 2. Non-windows emulators like DOSBox or MAME work wonderfully though, so you're largely wrong there.

** Yes, there's a native OSX port and I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but just using it as a benchmark here.

Does anyone know how to uninstall Norton Antivirus? A friend of mine recently used the Migration Assistant tool to move her files from an older Macbook onto a newer one. There's no application listed in the applications folder, and I tried using a Norton/Symantec Removal Tool, but it said it couldn't find anything. I can't get to the system preferences through the normal means (anytime I click on one of the Norton icons, it says that "this program is not available on Intel macs" or something like that.) Any ideas on how to purge the program? It's an old 2004(?) version of Norton Antivirus. The Macbook is running on 10.5. Thanks.

Phobophile

Cornballer said:
Does anyone know how to uninstall Norton Antivirus? A friend of mine recently used the Migration Assistant tool to move her files from an older Macbook onto a newer one. There's no application listed in the applications folder, and I tried using a Norton/Symantec Removal Tool, but it said it couldn't find anything. I can't get to the system preferences through the normal means (anytime I click on one of the Norton icons, it says that "this program is not available on Intel macs" or something like that.) Any ideas on how to purge the program? It's an old 2004(?) version of Norton Antivirus. The Macbook is running on 10.5. Thanks.
If all else fails, use AppZapper. It'll remove the application as well as any residual configuration files in the Library and whatnot.

LCfiner

scorcho said:
Command-Shift-4, space bar, select window. A PNG will be on your desktop
While it's true that one can memorize the commands, there are also handy dashboard widgets that give you quick buttons for selecting windows or dragging zones for screen captures

ant1532

Banned
is there a good site for movie wallpapers anyone knows? (more specifically high quality shots of specific frames?) or better yet how do i take screenshots on a mac???

edit - 'up nevermind on the second part, i think it was answered just a bit ago in this very page...

How do I put videos I watch online to full screen as in take the space of my whole computer screen? I'm trying to watch stuff on Gametrailers but it doesn't do it.

EDIT - I'm using Safari 4 in case anyone was wondering.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Flying_Phoenix said:
How do I put videos I watch online to full screen as in take the space of my whole computer screen? I'm trying to watch stuff on Gametrailers but it doesn't do it.

The fullscreen button on flash video players should work as expected. If you're talking about non-flash, then I dunno.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Flying_Phoenix said:

Ghetto solution: Hold Ctrl and scroll up with your mouse wheel.

Jasoco

Banned
Dax01 said:
Is RAM that important for running games? How much of a difference does 2 Gigs make?

I'm such a noob at this.
:lol
Get as much as possible. I have 2GB. If I could I would get 4. In fact, when I buy a new MacBook Pro 13" I'm just going to spend the $100 and replace the 2GB with 4GB because it's actually cheaper for once to get Apple's because 4GB separate costs a lot more than $100, plus you'd have 2GB of useless RAM sticks sitting around. I was shocked when I went to Crucial to check it out and saw that 4GB separately costs $449. Shit, $100 for Apple RAM is nothing compared to that!

Hitokage said:
I wouldn't recommend it though because Snow Leopard is amazing. Regular Leopard just seems out of date compared to it. The Exposé enhancements alone are enough.

Flying_Phoenix said:

GameTrailers player is shit. Their "Fullscreen" isn't full screen. It's full browser window. Players like YouTube and the like all work fine. In fact, Gametrailers is the only video player I've seen that is purposely programmed to be stupid-assed. Whoever programmed it should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. Seriously, it's probably a checkbox in Flash to make your player fullscreen capable. This is just unacceptable. They even have the balls to call it "full screen". Full screen my ass! FU, Gametrailers.

Phobophile

Jasoco said:
GameTrailers player is shit. Their "Fullscreen" isn't full screen. It's full browser window. Players like YouTube and the like all work fine. In fact, Gametrailers is the only video player I've seen that is purposely programmed to be stupid-assed. Whoever programmed it should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. Seriously, it's probably a checkbox in Flash to make your player fullscreen capable. This is just unacceptable. They even have the balls to call it "full screen". Full screen my ass! FU, Gametrailers.
Calling their "high def" video "HD" is a bigger travesty.

Jasoco

Banned
Phobophile said:
Calling their "high def" video "HD" is a bigger travesty.
Seriously. Are the people there really that stupid? I just wish AGVN didn't host his stuff there.

DEAD RABBIT said:
EDIT: The correct link to the 2D engine is http://love2d.org/
Heh... You'd think the people would name their site love2dance.com. Leave the love2d.com URL open.

HOLY SHIT.
Last week I downloaded this file from a client and used it and deleted it. The client called me and asked if I could send it back to him since he can no longer find it. I was a little frantic until I used Time Machine.....and my jaw has been on the floor all night.

I love this thing.

Ashhong

a little late but someone up there was talking about microphone problems with bootcamp. are you on the 13" MBP? there are problems with the "joined audio jack" and windows 7 drivers. i cannot get my iphone headphone to be recognized, whereas it was working fine in the old MB headphone jack. i just assumed its because im using Windows 7 64bit, both of which arent properly supported.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wouldn't recommend it though because Snow Leopard is amazing. Regular Leopard just seems out of date compared to it. The Exposé enhancements alone are enough.
It is my impression that Snow Leopard is what Leopard was supposed to be in the first place before the iPhone completely borked its release schedule.

Top Bottom