• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

botkiller

My Photo Booth app had been freezing after taking a picture ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard last year. I had been reinstalling different versions with Pacifist and was getting nowhere, but I just figured out what was going on. The "Photo Booth" folder was somehow set to read only. Flipping it back to "Read & Write" makes everything work perfectly again.

MDJCM

Spriig said:
Is the magic mouse any good for design work using Photoshop? If not what mouse would you recommend?
Someone came into the shop today complaining about using a Magic Mouse for design/photoshop, saying that it moved a couple of pixels when you pushed down to click.

Maybe he's just retarded but i've never noticed the problem myself.

I love it for Photoshop, but you have to keep in mind that Adobe fakes the OSX interface, so lots of places don't scroll, zoom, or behave like you'd expect with the mouse. They're so minor, but if you use this thing for hours at a time, these little quirks cause the Adobe® Rage® to bubble.

Ridli

This seems like the best place to ask, so I'll give it a shot.

What is the most "mIRC-like" irc client available for OSX?

I know I probably sound like a crazy person, but I've used mIRC for so long I've grown quite accustomed to the default UI that I feel out of place with other programs. In addition, it feels like most clients I try on the mac keep wanting to open a new window for every little event and it drives me insane. Or they go overboard with growl notifications that I would rather have printed to the console.

Snak seems the closest, but still feels a little off when trying to connect to multiple servers. And I can never seem to warm up to Colloquy. I know there are options to emulate mIRC, but I was really hoping someone has a native app that tries to capture that mIRC feel, even if some features are missing. Any suggestions?

X-Frame

I've got a question as well ..

How many people use iPhoto as the one and only photo-management "tool" on their computer?

Meaning, you will upload a photo into iPhoto, or you will download photo's from the Internet but then import then into iPhoto and delete them off your HDD (once it's been copied into iPhoto)? Essentially your regular Picture's folder is empty.

Because right now I don't use iPhoto at all but I have hundreds of loose pictures in my Picture's folder but I really want to organize them all. Is there any downside to this? I know iPhoto goes kind of nuts with what is inside it's Package and that opening it up and modifying Originals could corrupt iPhoto .. I dunno.

I'm just scared to make the complete transition.

Burger

X-Frame said:
I've got a question as well ..

How many people use iPhoto as the one and only photo-management "tool" on their computer?

Meaning, you will upload a photo into iPhoto, or you will download photo's from the Internet but then import then into iPhoto and delete them off your HDD (once it's been copied into iPhoto)? Essentially your regular Picture's folder is empty.

Because right now I don't use iPhoto at all but I have hundreds of loose pictures in my Picture's folder but I really want to organize them all. Is there any downside to this? I know iPhoto goes kind of nuts with what is inside it's Package and that opening it up and modifying Originals could corrupt iPhoto .. I dunno.

I'm just scared to make the complete transition.

You can tell iPhoto not to copy photos into the iPhoto library, meaning you retain complete control over where photos are kept etc.

However you take on all the risks, i.e if you start moving things around, or deleting them, you then face the consequences in iPhoto.

MDJCM

How do you speed up/clean up older Macs?

I know my way around an old PC and how to clear up the crap and get it working faster. But what can you do on a Mac when people complain that its running a bit slow?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
MDJCM said:
How do you speed up/clean up older Macs?

I know my way around an old PC and how to clear up the crap and get it working faster. But what can you do on a Mac when people complain that its running a bit slow?

If it's "running slow" it's probably just running too much shit at once. Close some apps. See if you have any unnecessary services running in the Activity Monitor. Go to Sys Prefs -> Users -> Startup and see if there's a bunch of shit starting.

Worst comes to worst, Onyx.

Jasoco

Banned
I once was afraid of iPhoto too, but eventually I decided to just let it take control. I only use iPhoto for photos. And keep regular non-photo images and stuff I didn't take myself in folders in the Finder in my Pictures folder.

X-Frame

Cool, because I have tons of pictures of me from HS and College and with friends and stuff that I would love to get into iPhoto, especially for the places and faces detection.

All my Wallpapers and internet downloaded pictures I assume should stay in Pictures

Then I'll just delete the original copies of all my home camera pictures (after I move them onto my external HDD just incase).

jts

...hate me...
I use iPhoto only with no worries. I also use Time Machine, works great with iPhoto.

It's a blessing.

However I do miss the feature of consolidating the library, like iTunes has.

iPhoto imported my photos that were on folders with random names and kept those folder names, and it doesn't move the photos around when I change their data. Sometimes I have the need to access the file structure directly and it's a horrid mess.

X-Frame

jts said:
iPhoto imported my photos that were on folders with random names and kept those folder names, and it doesn't move the photos around when I change their data. Sometimes I have the need to access the file structure directly and it's a horrid mess.

That's my fear too. I know you can select a picture in iPhoto and right-click to see "Show File", and it'll take you to the file in iPhoto which is good .. and yeah a lot of the pictures are named just like "IMG_000_0031" or something.

If I change the file names there I assume it'll mess up iPhoto?

fireside

Ridli said:
This seems like the best place to ask, so I'll give it a shot.

What is the most "mIRC-like" irc client available for OSX?

I know I probably sound like a crazy person, but I've used mIRC for so long I've grown quite accustomed to the default UI that I feel out of place with other programs. In addition, it feels like most clients I try on the mac keep wanting to open a new window for every little event and it drives me insane. Or they go overboard with growl notifications that I would rather have printed to the console.

Snak seems the closest, but still feels a little off when trying to connect to multiple servers. And I can never seem to warm up to Colloquy. I know there are options to emulate mIRC, but I was really hoping someone has a native app that tries to capture that mIRC feel, even if some features are missing. Any suggestions?
I think you’ll like XChat Aqua.

NJ Shlice

Spriig said:
Is the magic mouse any good for design work using Photoshop? If not what mouse would you recommend?

I can't use it for longer than 2hrs without my wrist starting to kill me. I went out and bought this:
L23-8124-feature1-dr.jpg

Logitech MX1100

... and my life has changed. Being able to program more than 5 keyboard shortcuts to different mouse buttons has changed the way I work. It's awesome.

jts

...hate me...
X-Frame said:
That's my fear too. I know you can select a picture in iPhoto and right-click to see "Show File", and it'll take you to the file in iPhoto which is good .. and yeah a lot of the pictures are named just like "IMG_000_0031" or something.

If I change the file names there I assume it'll mess up iPhoto?
Yes, it will. iPhoto is a database software like iTunes, there's a db file of sorts and if you manually change a picture's filename or location, iPhoto will no longer know where it is.

X-Frame

jts said:
Yes, it will. iPhoto is a database software like iTunes, there's a db file of sorts and if you manually change a picture's filename or location, iPhoto will no longer know where it is.
Yeah I figured that. It's a good thing I updated all my file names of my photos before I moved them into iPhoto.

jts

...hate me...
Guys, I remember manually installing Flash 10 (Gala) beta for Mac and I think it's giving me a few problems, especially with Chrome, flash video players and animations go blank and then they're ok again, sometimes flash content gets on top of things that it isn't supposed to get on top of, thus making some websites broken, etc.

How can I uninstall it? I can't seem to find it.

Tr4nce

I just came in here to say ' wow' once again. Been working on iMac for a few days now, noob here, and I'm loving it so freaking much. Also, the wireless keyboard and mouse are so cool. And little things like expose, and the way everything works is just so much better than Windows.

Also, screw you Reason!! I have bought Logic Pro, and it is so much better than Reason, I can't even believe it. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME :)

Edit: what sites do all of you people visit to get some wonderful iMac wallpapers? Not every site I visit has specific mac resolution wallpapers. Thanks.

LCfiner

jts said:
Guys, I remember manually installing Flash 10 (Gala) beta for Mac and I think it's giving me a few problems, especially with Chrome, flash video players and animations go blank and then they're ok again, sometimes flash content gets on top of things that it isn't supposed to get on top of, thus making some websites broken, etc.

How can I uninstall it? I can't seem to find it.

hidden in an adobe tech note

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

X-Frame

Honestly I don't know how I went so long without moving most of my pictures into iPhoto. I actually look at them now .. and with ease! Lol.

Spriig said:
I am using a Logitech M705 and love it, but use a Wacom Bamboo for Photoshop. It is cheap, but works extremely well.

Drahcir

When I plug in my external hard drive, there is a lot of initial clicking coming from it. Is this because Spotlight is indexing everything on it? Just making sure if that's normal since I don't remember that ever really happened on my PC before. Also, is there any app I should be using on my Macbook with my external hard drive? It's a Western Digital and there is a mac folder in it with the Lifeguard program but I don't know if I really need to install it.

notworksafe

The best backup application I know of for OS X is Time Machine. To use it, just go to "Time Machine" in your system prefs and select your external. Everything else is automatic.

hoverX

notworksafe said:
The best backup application I know of for OS X is Time Machine. To use it, just go to "Time Machine" in your system prefs and select your external. Everything else is automatic.

At home we have 3 macs. 2 laptops (1 for GF and 1 for me) and a mac mini as a HTPC. Is there a way i can set up time machine to backup all 3 pc's onto an external drive hooked into the mac mini?

Jasoco

Banned
luoapp said:
Can I use Time Machine to backup only several folders but not the whole disk?
You can exclude folders. So if you're creative, just disable all the folders you don't want to backup. It's silly I know. But if they're all in the User/You folder then disable the root system folders and then all the Home folders you don't want. Simple really. But weird. There should really be a "Only these folders" option.

Jasoco

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
if you just want to backup several folders, i think there are other programs that do that.
Like CCC which is what I use. But if you still want Version Control, Time Machine is still the best way to go. If you really think the folders contents will change so often that you might want to go back occasionally.

AlexMogil

I traded my 2010 13" Pro for a 15" i5. What's weird is that it's *almost* too big. Oh I'm sure I'll suffer through it, ha ha, but after using a 15" as a laptop, I seriously can't see how someone could use a 17" laptop as... a laptop.

The 13" seems to be just the perfect form factor for weight and portability. It's a shame that the i3 couldn't fit. Looking at the breakdowns I can see why, though.

Jasoco

Banned
Time Machine has stopped working for me. Ever since before I got my new MacBook Pro. I have a partition set up specifically for Time Machine on my Mac mini, and my laptop is supposed to backup to it. But it won't work. Carbon Copy Cloner has no problem with networked backing up, but Time Machine complains that the disk is missing. Even though it's mounted.

It says "Disk not available". Which is a bold faced lie. The disk is right there! I can open it! I can browse it! It is empty, reformatted and ready to go! I don't understand why it won't work.

Spasm

Does anyone know a way to get a Logitech MX-518's extra buttons working? I DL'd Logitech's Control Center, but it only picked up on my keyboard. I don't know how much longer I can go on without 'back' and 'forward' on the thumb buttons. :lol

P.S. Hackintosh here.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Spasm said:
Does anyone know a way to get a Logitech MX-518's extra buttons working? I DL'd Logitech's Control Center, but it only picked up on my keyboard. I don't know how much longer I can go on without 'back' and 'forward' on the thumb buttons. :lol

P.S. Hackintosh here.
Try SteerMouse or Overdrive.

Spasm

Oh god, it's like a giant, unreachable itch that's finally been scratched. Thanks guys, USB Overdrive is exactly what I was looking for.

hiro4

AlexMogil said:
I traded my 2010 13" Pro for a 15" i5. What's weird is that it's *almost* too big. Oh I'm sure I'll suffer through it, ha ha, but after using a 15" as a laptop, I seriously can't see how someone could use a 17" laptop as... a laptop.

The 13" seems to be just the perfect form factor for weight and portability. It's a shame that the i3 couldn't fit. Looking at the breakdowns I can see why, though.

You get used to it and it also depends on what your needs are.
I bought a 17" MBP 3.5 years ago when the C2D was just introduced.

It was one part desktop replacement and one part portability to a certain extent.
I didn't need to move mine from class to class, I could bring it somewhere and just set it up for the rest of the day.

Also at that point the 17" was only 200 bucks more while adding more features like FW800 and offcourse higher resolution etc.

Don't regret it at all.

AlexMogil said:

I love the portability of the 13", but I would really like the power that the 15" brings.

But I agree. 17" laptops are just stupid. At that point, they are hardly portable, and for most people, essentially function as an overpriced desktop replacement. I know mine did.

Jasoco

Banned
Me too. The 13" is just right size-wise. But I wouldn't mind having the power of the 15" or 17". The 15" is too big and the 17" is just overkill for anyone who actually wants to use their laptop in the wild vs. just making it portable enough to take it from job site to job site.

mrkgoo

I think the 13" is slightly small for my needs. It's great for portability and flexibility, but suffers when you plonk it down for a bit more 'serious' work.

I prefer the 15" for that. It's like a portable workstation. Great size to do image stuff (photography). Slightly too big to be a portable machine on the go (whip out at coffee shops or whatever), but a good size to just bring back and forth from home to work. But then I have my iPad for true portability when I need just email access and a browser.

Jasoco

Banned
The only problem I have with 13" is the resolution. If they even just gave it one bump, to 1440x900, I'd be happy. I wouldn't even complain if they gave me a 1680x1050 option. Though at that point things would be pretty tiny. Which is why I wish they'd hurry up and give us RI already. God damn! Maybe with the new iPhone 4 thing, Apple will get serious about higher resolution displays and push for RI to be finished once and for all. Eventually.

hoverX

Mr. Wonderful said:
I love the portability of the 13", but I would really like the power that the 15" brings.

But I agree. 17" laptops are just stupid. At that point, they are hardly portable, and for most people, essentially function as an overpriced desktop replacement. I know mine did.
If I was buying a pc I'd agree but the apple 17" laptops are so lightweight it feels like you are using a 15"

Furoba

hoverX said:
If I was buying a pc I'd agree but the apple 17" laptops are so lightweight it feels like you are using a 15"

Just buy the screen resolution upgrade for 15" and you can see as much as on a 17".

hoverX

Furoba said:
Just buy the screen resolution upgrade for 15" and you can see as much as on a 17".
Haven't seen a 15" mbp with upgraded screen but I had a 15" Dell with a 1900x something resolution and it was fucking brutal. The hi res 17" mbp is just right.

Bukana

I have a question and I am sure there is no answer or solution to it.

When I save a photo , I want it automatically added to iPhoto library without opening the app and drag the photos to it, is this possible !?

Top Bottom