• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco said:
I've tried keeping it on, but it won't stop asking if I want to allow iTunes every fucking time I launch iTunes. Even if I check the box. So I said fuck that shit and keep it off. I have never had a problem. I don't know if my LinkSys router has a firewall or something. But no, I don't use it.

If I could stop it from asking over and over again I would turn it on. It should only ask once, or at least once per version. (Like if I upgrade) And it should have an option to never ask for Apple apps. Or apps from trusted developers.

I had that problem a little while back, it is a bug, but can be sorted by reinstalling iTunes I believe.

X-Frame

Ahhh feels so weird - brand new clean install of Snow Leopard.

So now what's the best way for me to get my information back?

- Restore from Time Machine?
- Drag items back from my External HDD?

theultimo said:
Maybe batteries going low? Thats the bluetooth keyboard correct? Maybe it is not pairing correcting as well. It could also be the keyboard is dirty or broken.

Nah I have 65% left, and it happens on my actual MBP keyboard too

Super pissed right now, my month and a half old macbook fell down about two feet, while shut, and landed flat upside down. It works perfectly fine. However, it seems when it hit the screen came into contact with the keys, and now I have 4 or 5 tiny superficial scratches on my screen. Just big enough that they annoy me.

I have apple care.

Should I:

A. Ignore it, and live with tiny scratches.
B. Try to fix it myself using a "scratch repair kit"
C. Try to use my apple care and get apple to replace the screen.

LCfiner

Inferno313 said:
Super pissed right now, my month and a half old macbook fell down about two feet, while shut, and landed flat upside down. It works perfectly fine. However, it seems when it hit the screen came into contact with the keys, and now I have 4 or 5 tiny superficial scratches on my screen. Just big enough that they annoy me.

I have apple care.

Should I:

do you have an apple store nearby that you could take this to? i would give that a shot with Applecare if it's not a hassle.

if you don't have a store nearby and need to call and get a box shipped out to you, then it may no be a option.

I don't think they would change it, but it's a low risk move to go and make an appt at a nearby apple store.

twofold

mrkgoo said:
I have one of these. Pretty significant improvements. That said, I went from a crap 640GB non-hybrid, htat pretty much killed multitasking (worse than stock drive).

Does the momentus speed up anything other than app launching and boot up time?

Jasoco

Banned
What's everyone's opinion on iDefrag? Does it really work well? Is it worth the $30? I downloaded the demo and my main HD is pretty well fragmented. Quite a bit of red fragmented files. Stuff scattered all over the HD. I'd like to get them back in place. Should I buy it? Will it make a difference?

luoapp

Jasoco said:
What's everyone's opinion on iDefrag? Does it really work well? Is it worth the $30? I downloaded the demo and my main HD is pretty well fragmented. Quite a bit of red fragmented files. Stuff scattered all over the HD. I'd like to get them back in place. Should I buy it? Will it make a difference?

I will say "no". The performance of HD subsystem may improve a bit, but a modern OS can easily counter fragmentation with smart cache algorithm, the overall improvement will be negligible. How about saving that $30 for an SSD instead?:lol

Jasoco

Banned
I have a lot of large files and some small ones that are broken into 1000-4000 pieces each. My OCD is really itching to put the pieces all together. I read an article that said it was well worth it. (Though it said the price was $20 at the time so I guess 2.0 bumped the price up) I know that OS X doesn't NEED to be defragged, but the person said they literally gained a whole minute bootup from defragging.

I mean I'd love an SSD hybrid too. One day I will buy it. I dunno. Just thought I'd ask and see if some people had opinions. The OS may defrag small files, but from the graph iDefrag created for me, there is a lot of space scattered all over my HD. Large gaps. Files all over the place.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Chunk distribution is seemingly random anyways in modern file systems. Empty gaps somewhere inbetween are not an issue as long as they distribute evenly overall.

Back in the days, with limited FATs, hugely differing chunk sizes, no early countermeasures against fragmentation, little to no write-oriented partitioning and other issues, it made sense to defrag to reduce the seek overhead. That's different now.

You basically want to defragment regularly if your work generates a torrent of shortly living small, but not uniformly sized files. Otherwise, it's completely okay to do it once in a while.

If you've got an Office / Photoshop Mac there, I don't think you have to worry about performance being considerably affected by disk fragmentation.

Defragmentation under OS X either involves third-party software or a format-reinstall.

The third-party software usually works as advertized. Whether or not it's worth your money depends on your need and disposable income, I'd say.

I'm going to now order one of the 500GB Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives. Just a question, what's the best way to get all my shit off this HDD and onto the new one? I was thinking of just making a note of my programs, making one time machine backup and then reinstalling OS X onto the new HDD...

Mecha_Infantry said:
I'm going to now order one of the 500GB Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives. Just a question, what's the best way to get all my shit off this HDD and onto the new one? I was thinking of just making a note of my programs, making one time machine backup and then reinstalling OS X onto the new HDD...

I assume you're replacing your existing hard drive.

The only options I see is either putting all of your programs on an external hard-drive then upload them to your new drive when it's installed. Or go to Filedropper and upload all of your programs to there, then download them when your new drive is installed.

Inferno313 said:

I have apple care.

Should I:

If you have Apple Care never ever try repairing anything by yourself or leave anything to "well maybe it will just go away" or "maybe it won't be a problem in the future".

The former because you never know what will void your warranty. I mean yes you can check but I wouldn't risk it. The latter because, well with my experience at least, if there is even a slight problem with something it's likely that Apple will just replace the whole thing. I've gotten my tophalf and keyboard replaced over such nonsensical things such as a stripped screw.

X-Frame

So I had a Genius Appointment today at the Apple Store about my issue where I can't view HD movies captured by my iPhone 4 on my Macbook when the phone is held a certain way.

Basically after a lot of trial and error they said my Macbook is too old. It's 3 years old. :(

When I view an HD video in Quicktime when it's taken "upside down" on my iPhone 4 .. Quicktime needs to use extra processes to flip the video and play it. So my computer just can't handle it.

2.16 GHz with 3 GB of RAM but that doesn't matter. Kind of shady.

Anyway, it's a great excuse for me to finally get a new Macbook Pro because I am going to be taking a lot of videos and don't want to be forced to remember to hold it a certain way.

I'm getting the top of the line Macbook Pro 15" with the i7. Should be future-proof for a couple more years. Lol.

X-Frame said:
So I had a Genius Appointment today at the Apple Store about my issue where I can't view HD movies captured by my iPhone 4 on my Macbook when the phone is held a certain way.

Basically after a lot of trial and error they said my Macbook is too old. It's 3 years old. :(

When I view an HD video in Quicktime when it's taken "upside down" on my iPhone 4 .. Quicktime needs to use extra processes to flip the video and play it. So my computer just can't handle it.

Anyway, it's a great excuse for me to finally get a new Macbook Pro because I am going to be taking a lot of videos and don't want to be forced to remember to hold it a certain way.

I'm getting the top of the line Macbook Pro 15" with the i7. Should be future-proof for a couple more years. Lol.
try a different video player man.

MPlayer. VLC. or some such. telling you your mac was "too old" sounded like a bullshit answer from a guy not really adept to solving computer problems. he shouldn't be working in tech support if his answer to videos playing upside down is "get a new mac".

X-Frame

Dreams-Visions said:
try a different video player man.

MPlayer. VLC. or some such. telling you your mac was "too old" sounded like a bullshit answer from a guy not really adept to solving computer problems. he shouldn't be working in tech support if his answer to videos playing upside down is "get a new mac".

I have. VLC player plays the videos okay but upside down - which apparently is a known issue by the VLC devs and they will maybe update VLC for this. This happens to everyone apparently.

Still, Quicktime is the only video player that opens from iPhoto '09 so it is incredibly annoying to have to open iPhoto and then find the original file and then open it some other way.

But I know that is definitely not a reason to buy a new computer and throw mine to the wayside, but I have wanted to get one for at least a year and since they were recently updated in April now is a good time - plus with being able to use a student discount and get a free iPod Touch.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
X-Frame said:
I have. VLC player plays the videos okay but upside down - which apparently is a known issue by the VLC devs and they will maybe update VLC for this. This happens to everyone apparently.
In the VLC settings, there's video filters. You can mirror and rotate stuff with the transformation filters.

mplayer can do this as well, read the manpage.

Hey guys, my mother's camera uses CF cards so when we got our iMac I bought her a cheap card reader from Monoprice. The card is almost never recognized when I plug it in, and when it is it tells me that it's damaged and I can't write anything to it. How do I fix this?

bionic77

X-Frame said:

That is shady and sounds like a load of bullshit. It isn't like a new MBP would have a different OS.

I also believe that even people with newer laptops are having the same issues that you are.

SO I'm going going, back back to uni uni in Sptember for my MSc in InfoSec. So I have three options (four maybe)

1) Buy iPad
2) Buy Entry Macbook
3) Buy second hand Macbook (black/whitebook)
4) Lug around my MBP laptop

1 is ok, but I can't do much in terms of taking it out and installing virtual machines and what not. 2 is OK, but ehh, I can't really feel paying so much more money for another laptop when I have a MBP 15" at home, but it would be good to get something new for uni. 3 seems like the best option, but I don't want something to just mess up later down the line and be £xxx out of pocket next year
4 is the basic shit, if I can't make up my mind

I am only going to uni part time so one week a month for 12 months over 2 years, so I won't be permeantely there. But I am not sure, I guess I'll wait and see if uni will tell me what I'll need, if they say I can get away with an iPad I'd do it, but I'm still unsure (anyone got an old macbook for sale??)

LCfiner

well, if you buy another macbook (used or new or refurb) you can sell the current macbook pro to offset the cost. you can't do this with the ipad.

For serious schoolwork, I would expect the ipad to be used less often that the laptop, so the ipad would be an additional machine that may not be used that often.

If i were in your position, and I wasn't happy with the performance of my existing machine, I would try to get a lightly used or refurbed MB or MBP and sell my current machine to offset the cost by as much as possible.

Chris R

I'd just keep the MBP really. They aren't that big (this is coming from someone who carried a 17" Dell DTR around for 3+ years at my university along with all my books/binders for the day).

Mecha_Infantry said:
This.

I used a paid program but it was terrible, PSMediaServer is fucking ace and free
Just dropping a +1 for PS3MS

No bitrate loss and works with 360, PS3, and DLNA-enabled televisions.

One of the few apps I couldn't live without.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to stick with th current setup, don't wanna spend too much money. The course is £5500 soni guessmi can tighten my belt with no laptop!

Sucks being a student again!

X-Frame

bionic77 said:
That is shady and sounds like a load of bullshit. It isn't like a new MBP would have a different OS.

I also believe that even people with newer laptops are having the same issues that you are.
Maybe, but everyone I've sent my "bad" files to have had no problems playing them.

Either way, it was time for me to get a new laptop anyway. I have a 2.66 GHz i7 on the way. Very excited.

Hope the Macbook Pros get the Quad Core Sandy Bridge CPUs in the 15" models. Really want a Quad Core and to stay on a Macbook.

I also hope that by Sandy Bridge, we'll have actually high-end, like we're paying for, video cards in the MBP again.

Patriots7

Is there a drastic difference between the 2.4 and 2.53 15" MBP? I don't really play games so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

I need a new laptop as my Dell has finally died, and I'm about the make the jump to the Mac. Since I'm done with my pre-med reqs I'll just be taking business classes, so I was thinking that I should pick up a netbook so I'd still have access to Windows if for some reason there is a class that requires it. So that's why I wanna get the base model of the 15" just so I can save some funds.

(OT, but would anyone recommend an iPad over a netbook? I already have a iPhone 3G and I know the netbook would be more productive but the iPad is so magical :D )

hoverX

Patriots7 said:
Is there a drastic difference between the 2.4 and 2.53 15" MBP? I don't really play games so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

I need a new laptop as my Dell has finally died, and I'm about the make the jump to the Mac. Since I'm done with my pre-med reqs I'll just be taking business classes, so I was thinking that I should pick up a netbook so I'd still have access to Windows if for some reason there is a class that requires it. So that's why I wanna get the base model of the 15" just so I can save some funds.

(OT, but would anyone recommend an iPad over a netbook? I already have a iPhone 3G and I know the netbook would be more productive but the iPad is so magical :D )
I've finally given up on netbooks and love my new iPad. You should do the same.

So after having my 08 MacBook stolen last November...I've finally saved up enough pennies to get a MacBook Pro i7.
It seems like such a long time since I've had a "real" Mac. (I bought a Dell Mini soon after and hackintoshed it).

What programs should I download? How do I take select files from my old computer (Some photos, music)?

spidye

guys, I have problem and seek some help.
last year I installed windows on my macbook pro with bootcamp but after some time I had to delete my partition because of some error with windows.
I want to install windows again but bootcamp always crashes. I can't make a new partition with bootcamp. is there another way to install windows 7 on macbook?

bionic77

hoverX said:
I've finally given up on netbooks and love my new iPad. You should do the same.
iPad is no replacement for a MBP (at least not IMHO) unless all you want to do is surf the net and watch movies. Forget editing a movie/photo, writing anything, or running any of the many programs made for OSX.

^ correct.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Hope the Macbook Pros get the Quad Core Sandy Bridge CPUs in the 15" models. Really want a Quad Core and to stay on a Macbook.

I also hope that by Sandy Bridge, we'll have actually high-end, like we're paying for, video cards in the MBP again.
mine as well save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere now. Apple's priority with MBP's is battery life. and considering all the problems with power efficiency Nvidia and ATi are having with their mobile chipsets, don't expect any really interesting GPU upgrades anytime soon.

power efficiency and mobility while retaining a good amount of GPU power are Apple's big differentiating factors. anything that pushes MBP battery life below 8 hours from here on out will be seen as a step back.

in short: if you need epic GPU performance, go get an Envy. just be prepared for 3.5 hours of battery life instead of 8.

Jasoco

Banned
bionic77 said:
iPad is no replacement for a MBP (at least not IMHO) unless all you want to do is surf the net and watch movies. Forget editing a movie/photo, writing anything, or running any of the many programs made for OSX.
It's a replacement for Netbooks. Not Notebooks. It's a supplemental computing device. Personally, since I have a laptop as my main machine, I don't see a major need for an iPad. If I had an iMac on the other hand.

Though I guess gaming is another valid reason. But I can't play Half-Life 2, or Braid, or Portal or whatever on an iPad.

Jasoco said:
It's a replacement for Netbooks. Not Notebooks. It's a supplemental computing device. Personally, since I have a laptop as my main machine, I don't see a major need for an iPad. If I had an iMac on the other hand.

Though I guess gaming is another valid reason. But I can't play Half-Life 2, or Braid, or Portal or whatever on an iPad.
And you can't play a lot of iOS games on a computer.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Two quick questions:

1) Any idea when an updated version of iMovie/the iLife suite is coming out? I just got a digital camcorder and would like a newer version of iMovie (I currently have '08) but the current version has been out for a year and a half and I don't want to spend $80 on the upgrade if another new version is going to drop in three months.

2) The mouse button on my MacBook has been making a weird click, like something is loose or possibly broken. Is this something that my AppleCare would cover?

bionic77

zesty said:
Two quick questions:

1) Any idea when an updated version of iMovie/the iLife suite is coming out? I just got a digital camcorder and would like a newer version of iMovie (I currently have '08) but the current version has been out for a year and a half and I don't want to spend $80 on the upgrade if another new version is going to drop in three months.

2) The mouse button on my MacBook has been making a weird click, like something is loose or possibly broken. Is this something that my AppleCare would cover?
Yes to no.2 and not sure if worth waiting for no.1

iMovie is what it is. I am not sure you are getting anything great by upgrading.

LCfiner

zesty said:
Two quick questions:

There was a leak of a new French iLife for dummies book hitting this September. Plus another one for a new iWork that leaked for October.

So I'd say the fall is a good safe bet for new iLife.

Borman

spidye said:
guys, I have problem and seek some help.
last year I installed windows on my macbook pro with bootcamp but after some time I had to delete my partition because of some error with windows.
I want to install windows again but bootcamp always crashes. I can't make a new partition with bootcamp. is there another way to install windows 7 on macbook?

Pop in your restore disk that came with your mac, and use the disk utility to repair permissions and repair (something else, can't recall). I've had some success when the partition won't be created by running the repair tools (which don't delete anything, just watch what you click), and then trying again.

notworksafe

Been trying to install Windows 7 64 to my MBP through Boot Camp, but it hangs when loading files from the DVD. It'll get through the progress bar saying "Windows is loading files..." but then stops after that.

Any ideas on what to do?

LCfiner said:
There was a leak of a new French iLife for dummies book hitting this September. Plus another one for a new iWork that leaked for October.

So I'd say the fall is a good safe bet for new iLife.
Bout time! Though a beefed up iMovie is the only part of the package that really interests me. Maybe iDVD, as well, taking advantage of multiple cores, the GPU, and 64-bit processing.

I would think a new iLife would also necessitate a pretty big update to Quicktime X as well. If they plan on going 64-bit with the next iLife suite, they would have to migrate to Quicktime X, rather than the old Quicktime 7 resources. That would require a pretty substantial update to Quicktime X for iMovie to have the same capabilities as the older version.

Conspiracy Theory.

notworksafe said:
Been trying to install Windows 7 64 to my MBP through Boot Camp, but it hangs when loading files from the DVD. It'll get through the progress bar saying "Windows is loading files..." but then stops after that.

Any ideas on what to do?
specs on your MBP?

what year? internal or external DVD drive?

details!

Top Bottom