• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

notworksafe

Dreams-Visions said:
specs on your MBP?

what year? internal or external DVD drive?

details!
It was one of the last models of non-Unibody MBPs (Early 2008), so it's on the "approved for 64bit" list.

MacBookPro3,1
2.4 ghz Core2Duo
8600M GT
4gb RAM
Internal DVD (SuperDrive)

I did just add a third party HDD (500 GB) if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Also running 10.6.4 and just ran Software Update to upgrade everything. Still doesn't work.

notworksafe said:
It was one of the last models of non-Unibody MBPs (Early 2008), so it's on the "approved for 64bit" list.

2.4 ghz Core2Duo
8600M GT
4gb RAM
Internal DVD (SuperDrive)

I did just add a third party HDD (500 GB) if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Also running 10.6.4 and just ran Software Update to upgrade everything. Still doesn't work.
all HDDs are 3rd party HDDs, so that's fine. lol

you have the most recent version of BootCamp? 3.0.2, I believe?

X-Frame

My new MBP shipped today with an expected delivery date of Monday. Was hoping for a weekend delivery since I chose 2-3 day shipping.

Hopefully I get surprised!

notworksafe

Killthee said:
I remember when I was considering installing Vista x64 on my MBP 2,2 that it seemed like installation would be a pain in the butt because my MBP uses a 32bit EFI and MS only supports 64bit EFI on Windows x64. That might be your issue. Here's some instructions on how to create a 32bit EFI compatible Win 7 x64 installation disc.
Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. My MPB is compatible with 64 bit so I don't think that is the issue with it. Thanks, though! Maybe there's something up with my Windows DVD...

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
very much depends on what you're doing with it.

it's a netbook competitor.
It's really more of a Tablet competitor. But it also competes with Netbooks, which are also Tablet competitors. Notebooks are full laptops. Netbooks are tiny lesser featured laptops. And Tablets are mostly limited, unless they run the same OS as the Netbook does. It's all a gray area really. Personally, I think Tablets are the way to go as long as they're running an OS made for the device. Not a hacked and tacked on version of say Windows. It'd be like Apple putting OS X on the iPad but making all the stuff bigger so you can touch it easier. Apple had it right when they made a new OS for all their devices. MS did not when they decided to shoehorn Windows 7 into a tablet by making clickable stuff bigger. Android and ChromeOS and iOS and Palm's new tablet OS. These are the way to go. OS' specifically designed for the device will always trump an OS designed for something else being forced onto a device with a totally different paradigm.

Hey all,

Well I still have a 250GB HDD, and probably will get a 500GB SSD/HDD hybrid when I've started uni again. But I am wondering about Time Machine size

The 1TB is £199.99 refurb, but the 2TB is £329.99. The 2TB is obviously a lot more expensive but I just can't justify spending that much right now, unless I look at it as a future fileserver where I can dump movies and what not on?

What size are you big boys at home?

X-Frame

I bought a 1 TB OWC drive a year ago and figured that was the highest I would go because I read that anything higher isn't quite as reliable at that point.

I assume things have changed since then though. I am considering a 2 TB replacement because 1 TB isn't enough as I want to create a digital DVD library on there.

Asa person who uses "..." so much and has to type in three fullstops, finding out by accident that ALT + ; button does it automatically is a godsend...Jeez, have Apple compiled an actual full keyboard list?…

bionic77

Whats the advantage of using the Apple hard drive? So far I have just used spare external HDs and used them for backup and it has worked great so far.

wow, has anyone seen this program ommwriter? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOiDjUPJdQ

that looks awesome! Anyone know what other awesome free programs that are out there? I am tired of being a boring asshole who just got VLC player and firefox. I want some real useful, awesome stuff. stuff i cant really find on pc.. or at least stuff that works exceptionally on mac.

any recommendations? anything really.. visually, productively, enhancement, socially, contributing... just looking for cool stuff, that is useful and awesome. like a newborn baby with guns!1

64-bit iLife '11 coming in less than two weeks? Supposedly with a mystery program, and with iDVD no longer included.
French Apple website Mac4Ever (via Google Translate) reported last week that iLife '11 will launch soon, on Saturday, August 7. The updated application suite is said to include improvements in the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and will reportedly add greater integration with social networking sites.

Citing a "well informed" source, the site also said that iWeb will be brand new, and iLife '11 will include a new "mystery" application. It also said that iDVD will not be included, and instead will be downloaded like iMovie HD. Finally, the update will also reportedly include a MobileMe gallery beta with Faces and Places.
Just going to go ahead and quote my post a couple of posts up:
Bout time! Though a beefed up iMovie is the only part of the package that really interests me. Maybe iDVD, as well, taking advantage of multiple cores, the GPU, and 64-bit processing.

I would think a new iLife would also necessitate a pretty big update to Quicktime X as well. If they plan on going 64-bit with the next iLife suite, they would have to migrate to Quicktime X, rather than the old Quicktime 7 resources. That would require a pretty substantial update to Quicktime X for iMovie to have the same capabilities as the older version.

Conspiracy Theory.
Hopefully this means we'll be getting said Quicktime updates. And perhaps this means we're that much closer to iTunes in 64-bit Cocoa.

Weird that they're not including and seemingly depreciating iDVD. iDVD is actually the only program in the iLife suite, besides the rare situation when iMovie is the best movie editing option available, that I actually use. Maybe the new mystery program has something to do with media authoring then?

And the article makes it seem like that besides going 64-bit, none of the programs are getting too big of an update.

You guys think Apple will be announcing an event for this in the next couple of days? Or just stealth releasing it? They have the iMac and Mac Pro updates coming in the next month, so an event would actually make sense.

LCfiner

no event. normal release. that's my bet.

they only do events for big changes to hardware. and, even then, only for certain hardware lines.

LCfiner

MCX said:
Cool. I hope iWork '11 is around the corner.

How do you uninstall iLife '09?

why would you do that? the new ilife installer will just overwrite the old apps but keep all the old themes, sounds and stuff, allowing you to delete only what you want. the last time an app was changed drastically (iMovie 08) it kept the old version around in a separate folder.

anyway, you can just drag the apps into the trash and then clean up the files under "application support" for each of the ilife apps.

X-Frame

Since I just received my Mac today I hope there's a discount available to recent purchasers. I would've held off if I heard about this.

Just spending $2,300 on a machine I'm not spending another $79 that'll be free in 2 weeks.

rezuth

X-Frame said:
Since I just received my Mac today I hope there's a discount available to recent purchasers. I would've held off if I heard about this.

Just spending $2,300 on a machine I'm not spending another $79 that'll be free in 2 weeks.
You do know there is rumors of an upgrade to the desktop side, right?

Chris R

So I'm doing a fresh format/install today since my Mini has too much crap on it. I should just be able to drag applications onto a USB drive and then pull them off after the OS installs? What about programs with serials? And finally, what all do I need to drag over to have a "copy" of Firefox running just like it is now?

edit: Oh and I forgot to ask about my keychain/iTunes. I don't have anything purchased song/movie wise when it comes to iTunes but I do have apps from my iPod Touch, and I also need to make sure that when I fire up Xcode there won't be an issue with certificates for my iPod Touch and/or iTunes. Do I need to deactivate or something? Or will iTunes know that the computer is the same?

Oh Apple store is down guys:

OH GAWD....NSA USE MAC'S..:eek *throws macbook out of window*

2ynm5pg.png

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
So I'm doing a fresh format/install today since my Mini has too much crap on it. I should just be able to drag applications onto a USB drive and then pull them off after the OS installs? What about programs with serials? And finally, what all do I need to drag over to have a "copy" of Firefox running just like it is now?

edit: Oh and I forgot to ask about my keychain/iTunes. I don't have anything purchased song/movie wise when it comes to iTunes but I do have apps from my iPod Touch, and I also need to make sure that when I fire up Xcode there won't be an issue with certificates for my iPod Touch and/or iTunes. Do I need to deactivate or something? Or will iTunes know that the computer is the same?
First off, you can just reinstall OS X right over the old OS. Snow Leopard has no qualms about it.

Alternatively, use a backup clone. Get a HD of the same size, clone your boot HD to it with Carbon Copy Cloner, then reformat the boot drive and install. When going through the post-install setup, use the Migration Assistant to copy the files from the clone HD to the boot HD. It will be like you never left. I did it when I got my new MacBook Pro and it worked like a charm.

Second, to be safe, you could unauthorize the mini before the reinstall, then authorize it again.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Anyone else install the new trackpad update on their macbook pros? It slightly changed the way two finger scroll works, and I am not too sure I like it.

If i sort of flick with two fingers up or down, it continues scrolling a little bit even after I have lifted my fingers from the pad. It used to stop scrolling immediately after lifted my fingers, but no more. :/

I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

quadriplegicjon said:
Anyone else install the new trackpad update on their macbook pros? It slightly changed the way two finger scroll works, and I am not too sure I like it.

If i sort of flick with two fingers up or down, it continues scrolling a little bit even after I have lifted my fingers from the pad. It used to stop scrolling immediately after lifted my fingers, but no more. :/

It's inertia scrolling. You can disable it in the trackpad settings in system preferences.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
quadriplegicjon said:

Inertia based scrolling is amazing.

That said, if you are some freak who really does dislike it, you can turn it off.

9d71d

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
SnakeXs said:
Inertia based scrolling is amazing.

That said, if you are some freak who really does dislike it, you can turn it off.
I've only had my newest MBP for maybe a couple months...but I already can't remember what life was like before intertial scrolling.

So awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
I love Inertia Scrolling. It's like how it works on the iPhone. If you don't like it, you must be crazy. it's so much better because you have better control. I can flick to the top or bottom of a page so easily. Although I have BTT installed and just use three fingers to Home and End. Still. I like options.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
RubxQub said:
I've only had my newest MBP for maybe a couple months...but I already can't remember what life was like before intertial scrolling.

So awesome.

Seriously. With my Santa Rosa MBP, using other trackpads sucked just out of pure responsiveness, feel, and size.

Now even other Macs pale in comparison. Seeing a page come to a halt sends shivers down my spine. It's so wrong at this point.

Jasoco

Banned
All I know is the trackpad on my MacBook Pro is so awesome, it feels so weird and neutered when I try to use the one on my old white MacBook. That thing doesn't even have any gestures. Only two-finger scrolling. It's like the dark ages! The trackpad on the new machines is the best thing Apple's invented in a long time, aside from the iPhone, even though I guess the iPhone kind of gave birth to the trackpad we have today.

Chris R

Jasoco said:
First off, you can just reinstall OS X right over the old OS. Snow Leopard has no qualms about it.

Alternatively, use a backup clone. Get a HD of the same size, clone your boot HD to it with Carbon Copy Cloner, then reformat the boot drive and install. When going through the post-install setup, use the Migration Assistant to copy the files from the clone HD to the boot HD. It will be like you never left. I did it when I got my new MacBook Pro and it worked like a charm.

Second, to be safe, you could unauthorize the mini before the reinstall, then authorize it again.
I didn't do any of this and for the most part everything is ok. I only wanted to copy over my Movie/Music files as well as some documents. I had tons of crap installed so I erased the drive and started from scratch. Only downloaded the shit I really needed and went from ~10GB free to over 70GB free (mostly due to all the shit different versions of Xcode seemed to leave behind).

Only thing that I wish I would have researched more was what to do with my iPod. Now my iPod Touch won't sync up with iTunes. Keeps saying you can only sync with one library (libraries and account are the same iTunes you fucking POS) I didn't deauthorize before so I'm down to just 2 more machines (whatever, doesn't matter) but I'm still searching and trying to get things syncing. Odds are I won't be able to though.

Ominym

Banned
Question:

Getting a new Macbook Pro. I hate iPods and iTunes and will be using Zune software and hardware.

What is the more effective method for doing this since it won't run on iOS? I do have a copy of Windows 7 64-bit that I can bootcamp with. But I'm also aware there is software to allow you to use Windows only programs as well. Your thoughts GAF?

Nightshade1765 said:
Question:

Getting a new Macbook Pro. I hate iPods and iTunes and will be using Zune software and hardware.

What is the more effective method for doing this since it won't run on iOS? I do have a copy of Windows 7 64-bit that I can bootcamp with. But I'm also aware there is software to allow you to use Windows only programs as well. Your thoughts GAF?
You will have to run Windows of some sort.

LCfiner

heads up. safari 5.0.1 has been released.

it adds official extensions support. the Apple extensions gallery has gone live.

I also hope this release addresses the frequent and super annoying sudden crashes that safari 5.0 had for me. I had switched to Chrome fulltime for around a month because of them but would prefer to switch back to safari for supporting native OS X text functions (autocorrect, text transforms, system dictionary, etc).

I'll see how it goes this afternoon.

BREATHLESS UPDATE:

I’ve been using Safari almost all day and it seems like those horrible, incessant crashes are gone now. hooray. I regain my keychain and 1password integration and the built in spell correction from from chrome back to safari.

LCfiner said:
heads up. safari 5.0.1 has been released.

it adds official extensions support. the Apple extensions gallery has gone live.

I also hope this release addresses the frequent and super annoying sudden crashes that safari 5.0 had for me. I had switched to Chrome fulltime for around a month because of them but would prefer to switch back to safari for supporting native OS X text functions (autocorrect, text transforms, system dictionary, etc).

I'll see how it goes this afternoon.

Ya, the text functions are what makes me force myself to use safari over chrome. It feels weird without them.

quadriplegicjon said:
Fuck inertia!!!! The laws of physics aint got shit on me!

thanks guys! :)

If you use "tap to click" then when you flick to scroll the page quickly you can tap on the track pad to stop it.

Tap to click is ace.

jbbb

I need your help with Safari and font sizes.
I found the font sizes on GAF, twitter and other sites too small for me, so I go to Safari preferences ... Universal access - "never use font sizes smaller than 18" it works well for GAF and twitter, but it just doesn't work for other sites, it completely ruins the layout and they become a huge mess.
Is there a way to fix this? To get a bigger font size and don't mess with sites layouts?

MDJCM

Jasoco said:
All I know is the trackpad on my MacBook Pro is so awesome, it feels so weird and neutered when I try to use the one on my old white MacBook. That thing doesn't even have any gestures. Only two-finger scrolling. It's like the dark ages! The trackpad on the new machines is the best thing Apple's invented in a long time, aside from the iPhone, even though I guess the iPhone kind of gave birth to the trackpad we have today.

Agreed! Such an advance on everything else out there

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Okay, so after all the praises, I decided to try out scroll with inertia for a little bit...

after a day of using it, i'm not going back. LOVE IT now!

travisbickle said:
If you use "tap to click" then when you flick to scroll the page quickly you can tap on the track pad to stop it.

Tap to click is ace.

I don't like tap to click since I always accidentally click things, but this still works if you don't have it selected.

Xater

I have a problem with my Macbook. For soem reason when I boot it up I get a progress bar on the boot up screen and the booting takes very long. What the hell is wrong?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Xater said:
I have a problem with my Macbook. For soem reason when I boot it up I get a progress bar on the boot up screen and the booting takes very long. What the hell is wrong?
That's what happens when I have an external disk plugged into a USB slot upon booting. When I unplug that external disk, it's as as fast as you'd expect. Probably some invisible timeout thingie for boot disk choice or whatever.

Top Bottom