• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Xater

wmat said:
That's what happens when I have an external disk plugged into a USB slot upon booting. When I unplug that external disk, it's as as fast as you'd expect. Probably some invisible timeout thingie for boot disk choice or whatever.

Yeah but it takes like half an hour to boot now. That's unacceptable.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Xater said:
Yeah but it takes like half an hour to boot now. That's unacceptable.
That's probably not like what I'm experiencing then.

Boot the machine
Open a terminal
Type this:
Code:
sudo dmesg > ~/Desktop/bootlog.txt
The thing before /Desktop is a tilde! (Alt-N on German keyboards)
(You have to enter your password then)
That creates a new file on your desktop named "bootlog.txt". Check that for error stuff with a text editor.

Xater

Well I tried Disk Utility and it found an error. Let's se if the repair does anything. If not I will try looking into the bootlog.

Update: well looks like the error can not be repaird and it suggest formating and reinstalling. Awesome....

No idea how that happened.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Xater said:
Well I tried Disk Utility and it found an error. Let's se if the repair does anything. If not I will try looking into the bootlog.

Update: well looks like the error can not be repaird and it suggest formating and reinstalling. Awesome....

No idea how that happened.

Have you tried Booting from your OS X disk and using disk utility there?

Also, sometimes your Startup Disk becomes unselected and it causes problems. Try going to System Preferences >Startup Disk and make sure your disk is highlighted.

Ashhong

what the hell is three finger drag and why doesnt it do anything on my computer?? all it did was disable my multiclutch settings...

Ashhong said:
what the hell is three finger drag and why doesnt it do anything on my computer?? all it did was disable my multiclutch settings...

Drag three fingers from the top bar of an app to move the window around.

X-Frame

Anyone else think that iCal in 10.7 should be a mix between a calendar program like now but also a ToDo app?

All they'd need to do is mimic the ToDo apps for instance on the iPhone. Support projects, checklists, tags, etc.

LCfiner

X-Frame said:
Anyone else think that iCal in 10.7 should be a mix between a calendar program like now but also a ToDo app?

All they'd need to do is mimic the ToDo apps for instance on the iPhone. Support projects, checklists, tags, etc.

That would be a pretty huge upgrade. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I doubt Apple will attempt to refine the todo functionality in iCal over what is already there.

honestly, considering the effort that is required to make a really good listmaking app with support for projects, contexts, tags, perspectives, etc, I don't know if it's worth it for Apple to invest the resources to do it in iCal/ Mail.

what they have now with the system wide todos and notes is a good start for basic use. I'm OK with the third parties spend the time necessary to bring the pro level task management to the system.

X-Frame

But iCal syncing is automatic and so simple. I have ToDo for iPhone and hate how it doesn't sync with a decent desktop client. The website Toodledo blows unless you pay for it and the Appigo Sync is very basic.

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:
How many of you guys use Apple's to-do in Mail.app? I'm heavily dissapointed that it doesn't sync with the iPhone

I don’t bother with Mail/ iCal todos but I started using the plain note syncing via Gmail IMAP in Mail and iOS4. more convenient for me than syncing via simplenote and going to a webpage to review the notes.

I’ve moved all my todos/ task management to Omnifocus across the Mac, iPhone and now ipad. I will probably just start throwing notes in there too to keep it all in one spot.

Karud

Mecha_Infantry said:
How many of you guys use Apple's to-do in Mail.app? I'm heavily dissapointed that it doesn't sync with the iPhone

A few month ago I desperately searched for a get things done app. Now I am using THINGS for Mac/ iPhone/ iPad. It's awesome. Exactly what I wanted.

Check out this site, he's reviewing/ explaining it:

Things for Mac 1

Things for Mac 2

Things for iPhone

Things for iPad

Another notable app is Omnifocus:

Omnifocus Mac 1

Omnifocus 2 Mac and iPhone client

All via ScreenCastsOnline

zhenming

Hey guys just wondering... which of the announced Mac Pros would be a good setup for a photographer/videographer, and web designer. I went through only Macbook pros (was traveling) up until now. While iMaces are nice, the display is not good for photography, and I already have a good monitor. I want to get the best bang for my buck and not 12 cores lol.

LCfiner

zhenming said:
Hey guys just wondering... which of the announced Mac Pros would be a good setup for a photographer/videographer, and web designer. I went through only Macbook pros (was traveling) up until now. While iMaces are nice, the display is not good for photography, and I already have a good monitor. I want to get the best bang for my buck and not 12 cores lol.

there’s two base models.

4 cores for 2500 and 8 cores for 3500.

why would you need 8 cores? heavy movie compressing duties? Mathematica software that is highly parallel. otherwise 4 should be plenty.

zhenming

LCfiner said:
there’s two base models.

4 cores for 2500 and 8 cores for 3500.

why would you need 8 cores? heavy movie compressing duties? Mathematica software that is highly parallel. otherwise 4 should be plenty.
i just dont want to feel shaft cause the highest imac will be better than the mac pro ill be getting.....

Karud

zhenming said:
While iMaces are nice, the display is not good for photography, and I already have a good monitor.

Explain please. Because the iMac has one of the best monitors available right now! At least the 27" model.

Karud

Why not? I ain't the monitor guy, but when the iMac panels were released last year, a lot of tech-blogs praised them as superb high-tech.

Ashhong

Hey guys, I am in desperate need of some help. All of a sudden my 13" MBP keeps freezing. Specifically, so far, iTunes, PathFinder, and Chrome.

Everything is working great, until the SECOND i put down 2 fingers to scroll, then it fucking beachballs and I have to force quit. I installed the trackpad update for inertial scrolling yesterday but I didnt have any problems at that time. The only thing I did today was install Starcraft 2 on both my OSX and Windows partition. It may have started occurring right after that but I'm not 100% on that.

WTF???? Please help...

zhenming

Karud said:
Explain please. Because the iMac has one of the best monitors available right now! At least the 27" model.
No, although its an ips display, the glossy and over saturated colors kills it.

Ashhong

Mecha_Infantry said:
FUUUUUUUUUU!

Has anyone had/ Do Apple repair dents in their unibody MBP's?

I've had them deny me of warranty service because of a dent. Luckily later my screen had a real issue and they replaced the whole top part which had the dent, yay. They would just replace the part, where is it?

Nobody is having trouble with programs fucking crashing? This is so ridiculous. Is there anyway to uninstall updates? I can't believe stacraft 2 would break it...guess i will reinstall it.

Ashhong said:
I've had them deny me of warranty service because of a dent. Luckily later my screen had a real issue and they replaced the whole top part which had the dent, yay. They would just replace the part, where is it?

Nobody is having trouble with programs fucking crashing? This is so ridiculous. Is there anyway to uninstall updates? I can't believe stacraft 2 would break it...guess i will reinstall it.

repair permissions fist.

Ashhong

mescalineeyes said:
repair permissions fist.

Through Disk Utility right? Just tried that and it didnt fix it :( There were a few that said something was changed but wont be fixed. Any other ideas??

Ok, so I have determined it's definitely something to do with the Apple Trackpad gestures. I unclicked all 2 finger gestures except for "right click" and no freezes. I then realized that when I swipe 3 fingers left and right, it freezes, so i unclick that as well.

Uninstalled SC2 just in case, and now uninstalling multiclutch and better touch tool....

Also note, when i had 3 finger swipe enabled, I could go Up/Down just fine, which I had programmed with multiclutch. as soon as i went left/right it crashed.

Ashhong said:
I had some really weird behavior on my computer since the Safari and Trackpad update. I couldn't get the dock to appear, restarted, and then the menu bar was just insane. A cold boot and resetting PRAM seemed to do it, however.

Ashhong

Mr. Wonderful said:
I had some really weird behavior on my computer since the Safari and Trackpad update. I couldn't get the dock to appear, restarted, and then the menu bar was just insane. A cold boot and resetting PRAM seemed to do it, however.

I noticed now that the app freezing is (as far as i can tell) only occuring on PathFinder and Chrome and iTunes. iChat and Safari don't seem to be having any issues. What is a cold boot? Just a complete restart? I will try this PRAM thing..

edit: pram reset didnt work. im now in safe mode and there are no crashes. so...now what..

Ashhong said:
I noticed now that the app freezing is (as far as i can tell) only occuring on PathFinder and Chrome and iTunes. iChat and Safari don't seem to be having any issues. What is a cold boot? Just a complete restart? I will try this PRAM thing..

edit: pram reset didnt work. im now in safe mode and there are no crashes. so...now what..

Cold boot is not restarting your computer. Actually shutting it down. Which you did when you reset the PRAM. For laughs, try reseting the SMC. If that doesn't work, your options may be down to restoring from a Time Machine backup or doing a new install.

Ashhong

Mr. Wonderful said:
Cold boot is not restarting your computer. Actually shutting it down. Which you did when you reset the PRAM. For laughs, try reseting the SMC. If that doesn't work, your options may be down to restoring from a Time Machine backup or doing a new install.

Will try the SMC. I don't have a time machine so that will piss me off to no end if I have to do it over.

mac-boy

Reinstalling the OS in OSX is nothing like in Windows. You keep all your programs that you already had on there if I'm not mistaken.

Ashhong

mac-boy said:
Reinstalling the OS in OSX is nothing like in Windows. You keep all your programs that you already had on there if I'm not mistaken.

Can I reformat without getting rid of my bootcamp partition?

Is the Airport Express worth it for what it costs? I'm not planning to use an ethernet cable to connect anything so the lack of ports doesn't really bother me, and the ability to connect usb printers could be useful. Is it good compared to other routers in terms of performance?

The other option is buying a Linksys router for 30 euros less and with 4 ethernet ports, but it's bulky and doesn't have the printer port.

LCfiner

Unlimited4s said:
Is the Airport Express worth it for what it costs? I'm not planning to use an ethernet cable to connect anything so the lack of ports doesn't really bother me, and the ability to connect usb printers could be useful. Is it good compared to other routers in terms of performance?

The other option is buying a Linksys router for 30 euros less and with 4 ethernet ports, but it's bulky and doesn't have the printer port.

edit: nvm. deleted airport extreme stuff

Airport express has the streaming iTunes stuff and the audio out port. if that’s not important, you can get a cheaper router

Unlimited4s said:

Airport Express is a really old router using really old technology that they're still charging $99 for.

I mention the technology because if you read the reviews, the Express really doesn't have a good range and signal strength at all, and the output jacks available aren't what they could be in the year 2010 either.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Airport Express is a really old router using really old technology that they're still charging $99 for.

I mention the technology because if you read the reviews, the Express really doesn't have a good range and signal strength at all, and the output jacks available aren't what they could be in the year 2010 either.

What about the extreme? Is that overpriced for what you get also?

MDJCM

zhenming said:
No, although its an ips display, the glossy and over saturated colors kills it.
Has anyone made a Matte mod for the iMac? Or just a simple Matte screen you can put in front ?

the-iek

Is there any free software for photo recovery? My dad tried to get some photos off a sd card and now the whole card got wiped.

Jasoco

Banned
the-iek said:
Is there any free software for photo recovery? My dad tried to get some photos off a sd card and now the whole card got wiped.
How did it get wiped? Did you use iPhoto or Image Capture with the "Delete items" option on? Or the SD card on the machine (If you have a MacBook Pro)?

Karud said:
Why not? I ain't the monitor guy, but when the iMac panels were released last year, a lot of tech-blogs praised them as superb high-tech.
I can tell. if you want to see truly high-quality monitors, you'll need to shop in the pro sections at HP and Dell.

google "DreamColor 2", for example.

Apple makes high-quality "consumer" products. if you want a "Pro" monitor or "Pro" hardware, you really do have to look elsewhere.

Karud

Dreams-Visions said:
I can tell. if you want to see truly high-quality monitors, you'll need to shop in the pro sections at HP and Dell.

google "DreamColor 2", for example.

Apple makes high-quality "consumer" products. if you want a "Pro" monitor or "Pro" hardware, you really do have to look elsewhere.

I know as much that cinema displays are way to pricey, so I went for an EIZO FlexScan2231W. Searched a couple of forums and bought it on the experience, which was droped there.

Probably not Pro-Hardware, but the oversaturation on my Late2006 MBP is highly visible.
Just thought (due to some reviews), the new iMac panel would be better. Guess I was wrong.

kurahadol

So I'm running Windows 7 through bootcamp with my iMac 27" i7 and there is some serious color gradiant issues, they became truely noticable during FMVs in Starcraft 2. I read up on some stuff which mentioned rolling back the ATI 4850 driver, which I did. It did improve it, but the issue is still there, just not AS bad. Was wondering if anyone had any input on how to fix this up?

kurahadol said:
So I'm running Windows 7 through bootcamp with my iMac 27" i7 and there is some serious color gradiant issues, they became truely noticable during FMVs in Starcraft 2. I read up on some stuff which mentioned rolling back the ATI 4850 driver, which I did. It did improve it, but the issue is still there, just not AS bad. Was wondering if anyone had any input on how to fix this up?
You can't, that driver problem has been around since last October's iMacs.

ana

kurahadol said:

Driver update should be here in the near future:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/04/apple-seeds-snow-leopard-graphics-update-to-developers/

pj

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What about the extreme? Is that overpriced for what you get also?

It's a little overpriced, but if you have macs in the house, it integrates really well and mine has been trouble free for the year I've had it. Can't say the same for the slightly cheaper Belkin piece of shit that it replaced.

Top Bottom