• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo said:
As far as I know, When you ever closed a Safari window using the red button, it closes the window, and all the tabs. I've never know it to come back with your last tabs.

You can, however, use cmd+h to "hide" the window, which does as you speak. Furthermore, if you do close a window, you can alwasy go to History-> Reopen last closed window to bring back where you last were.

Unless you actually MEANT top right red button, in which case I don't know what the Hell you're referring to.

I guess up until now Safari just hid the window I closed out instead of deleting it up until now. Weird. But yeah thanks a lot for the info!

EDIT - While I'm here, I've noticed that Safari REALLY struggles with loading Gifs. Now I can understand this due to how it loads compared to other browsers but is Apple addressing this?

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the deal with MPlayer OS X extended and the rewind/fastforward function? I press the button and the video keeps playing until I let go and it jumps back to some unspecified period (and the default is 1 min increments). I'm going back to VLC if I can't find a solution.

Charred Greyface said:
What's the deal with MPlayer OS X extended and the rewind/fastforward function? I press the button and the video keeps playing until I let go and it jumps back to some unspecified period (and the default is 1 min increments). I'm going back to VLC if I can't find a solution.

thanks for reminding me of MPlayer got to go download that I have VLC now but I like keeping all players

I could not get Quicktime to play WMV9 coded AVIs VLC does a good job but you'd think someone solved that for Quicktime by now

Ashhong

Smiles and Cries said:
thanks for reminding me of MPlayer got to go download that I have VLC now but I like keeping all players

I could not get Quicktime to play WMV9 coded AVIs VLC does a good job but you'd think someone solved that for Quicktime by now

got a specific video i could try out? i have been able to play all avi and wmv files ive thrown at it. i assume you have WMVplayer?

Ashhong said:
got a specific video i could try out? i have been able to play all avi and wmv files ive thrown at it. i assume you have WMVplayer?

oh yeah let me get flip for mac WMV unless there is something better out now I've been away 2 years

I don't have the file anymore but some old anime fansubs use wmv9 for avi

Now I need to get browsers next

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Charred Greyface said:
The buttons next to play/pause? Dunno, but I just use left/right kb keys for short seeking, up/down for medium seeking, and page up/page down for long seeking.

You can also use the Apple remote or the horizontal progress bar.

cbodom

i fckin hate itunes, what is a good mp3 replacement player

(i have like 300 gigs sorted by /artist/album and most media players are hell organizing it..
surprisingly windows media player was great with such a large db...
thanks

giga

cbodom said:
i fckin hate itunes, what is a good mp3 replacement player

(i have like 300 gigs sorted by /artist/album and most media players are hell organizing it..
surprisingly windows media player was great with such a large db...
thanks
Are yours not tagged properly?

cbodom

no theyre tagged properly, i ripped most myself high vbr lame...
i just dont like itunes, its stupid wants to recopy all my mp3s (300x2 STUPID ASS APP)
then reorganize my folders? NO.

whats a better mp3 player?

giga

cbodom said:
i just dont like itunes, its stupid wants to recopy all my mp3s (300x2 STUPID ASS APP)

iTunes doesn't have to recopy or reorganize your folders.

cbodom said:

Uh, it doesn't have to do any of that.

Ashhong

giga said:
iTunes doesn't have to recopy or reorganize your folders.

be more vague =P

go into the preferences and go to advanced and uncheck "copy files to itunes folder" or wahtever it is.

Xeke

Banned
cbodom said:

Just tell iTunes to not copy your music into an iTunes music folder if you really care that much about folder management, it's not hard.

Teddman

Charred Greyface said:
Just use the arrow keys, that's the best way to fast forward in Mplayer. Up arrow to jump forward a minute, right arrow to jump forward ten seconds, vice-versa for rewind.

Ashhong

not sure if this belongs in firefox thread or this, but here is what i used to have:

i used to be able to click certain links, like the post count in a thread and have them automatically open in a window. this would also happen for "ninjavideo applet". while some links like this would open in a new window, other links from say gmail would open new windows in tabs.

now though, i either get everything opening in new windows, or everything in tabs depending on my option setting. anybody have any idea?

Blackhead

Redarse
Hitokage said:
The buttons next to play/pause? Dunno, but I just use left/right kb keys for short seeking, up/down for medium seeking, and page up/page down for long seeking.

You can also use the Apple remote or the horizontal progress bar.
Teddman said:
Just use the arrow keys, that's the best way to fast forward in Mplayer. Up arrow to jump forward a minute, right arrow to jump forward ten seconds, vice-versa for rewind.
The arrow keys are much better, thanks.
Hitokage said:
Yeah, I have my own folder organization.
What's your setup? I took a peek at iTunes's and surely there must be a better way than sticking compilations under a separate folder...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Charred Greyface said:
What's your setup? I took a peek at iTunes's and surely there must be a better way than sticking compilations under a separate folder...
Music/iTunes/ - Music Store stuff and podcasts
Music/CD/ -> ...

Album/ -> folder for each artist
Anime/ -> folder for each show
Game/ -> folder for each game
Movie/ - each soundtrack in the same folder
Radio/ - various voice albums

When making a new addition, just drag and drop that folder into iTunes, or if I want to be lazy I can just drag and drop the CD folder into it and it'll pick up what's new.

Jasoco

Banned
I prefer to let iTunes organize all my music. And centralize it in one place rather than scatter the files all over.

~/Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

How much more logical can you get?

Strangely, by default iTunes places music in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ which is IMHO stupid so I changed it to straight ~/Music/ because it makes more sense. ~/Photos/ for image files, ~/Movies/ for video, ~/Music/ for MUSIC. None of this "iTunes Music" bullshit. That's unnecessarily placing it two tree branches deeper into the folder tree. I prefer to keep things as close to the trunk as possible.

Ashhong said:
whats wrong with quicktime?
To be honest, I find QuickTime X (In Snow Leopard) superior to all the third party alternatives (Movist, VLC, MPlayerX) to the point I'm almost tempted to just set all my video files of every kind to open with QuickTime 10.0.

I mean it has a lot over the other players. For one thing, IT OPENS MORE THAN ONE FILE AT ONCE. Seriously, why do VLC, Movist and MPlayerX only allow one video open at once?

QTX is also much faster at everything and loads super fast so it's pretty tempting to set them all and put the other players aside for the occasional "Won't play in QuickTime" file. I mean it even plays FLV files with Perian. And WMV files with F4M. And OGG (I don't actually have any of these...) and AVI's.

Mainly it's because Movist stopped working well on Snow Leopard (Hopefully will be fixed by September) and all the other players suck ass in one way or another.

Though I kinda wish I could just dump all other players and use one single player. And QTX looks like it's pretty close with the right plug-ins.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jasoco said:
I prefer to let iTunes organize all my music. And centralize it in one place rather than scatter the files all over.

~/Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

How much more logical can you get?
Except when it splits apart a soundtrack album because somebody did vocal songs and somebody else did the bgm. Also, my folder structure is duplicated according to source.

I mean it has a lot over the other players. For one thing, IT OPENS MORE THAN ONE FILE AT ONCE. Seriously, why do VLC, Movist and MPlayerX only allow one video open at once?
Yeah, the MPOE people are working on that, last I heard.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hitokage said:
Except when it splits apart a soundtrack album because somebody did vocal songs and somebody else did the bgm.

I yielded to the "Compilation" checkbox awhile ago after months of fighting iTunes by trying to keep all of my soundtracks in a dedicated "Soundtrack" folder.

It's not a completely graceful solution, but in Apple's defense about the only way to rationally organize something like soundtracks is by title.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
xsarien said:
I yielded to the "Compilation" checkbox awhile ago after months of fighting iTunes by trying to keep all of my soundtracks in a dedicated "Soundtrack" folder.
That tends to screw with other things, but yeah, that's why I have my own folder for that.

Jasoco

Banned
Hitokage said:
Except when it splits apart a soundtrack album because somebody did vocal songs and somebody else did the bgm. Also, my folder structure is duplicated according to source.
Yeah, that is silly, but it doesn't bother me. As I never need to actually browse my Music folder. That's what iTunes is for.

But then again that's why they made it an option.

What bugs me though is that iTunes stores iTunes videos in the Music folder.

VIDEOS in the music folder.

VIDEOS are not music. Unless they are music videos, they are not music. They are movies. Download a TV show episode or a new movie or a video podcast and it should go in Movies in a folder called "iTunes Video". This is just unlogical and bugs the shit out of me, so I usually end up moving the video somewhere else and linking back to it in iTunes just to keep it out of the music folder.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Jasoco said:
Yeah, that is silly, but it doesn't bother me. As I never need to actually browse my Music folder. That's what iTunes is for.

But then again that's why they made it an option.

What bugs me though is that iTunes stores iTunes videos in the Music folder.

VIDEOS in the music folder.

VIDEOS are not music. Unless they are music videos, they are not music. They are movies. Download a TV show episode or a new movie or a video podcast and it should go in Movies in a folder called "iTunes Video". This is just unlogical and bugs the shit out of me, so I usually end up moving the video somewhere else and linking back to it in iTunes just to keep it out of the music folder.
But you shouldn't have to browse your videos folder. That's what iTunes is for.

cnet128

Banned
Since my GAF account just got activated, I want to take this opportunity to thank this thread for greatly improving my video-viewing capabilities. I'm a Mac user since approximately forever, but I didn't know about MPlayer OSX Extended or the latest version of VLC until I read this thread. Huge improvements over the MPlayer OSX and VLC I had before. Neither of those could render styled subtitles worth crap. Now both of them render them perfectly. I finally don't feel like my video viewing capabilities are categorically inferior to Windows users with CCCP any more. :D

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with VLC now that it's fixed its huge subtitle issue. Before, I was switching between VLC and MPlayer OSX depending on whether I had to view subtitles or not, and a variety of other criteria (for some subtitles, VLC was actually better, because MPlayer OSX seemed to mess up special characters). Now that subtitles are a non-issue for both, VLC just seems plain better to me. MPlayer has a nasty tendency on my computer to let the video lag behind the audio and take a while to catch up. Extended doesn't seem much better in that regard. VLC lags far less often, and when it does, it just skips briefly and then starts playing again fine (and I can just hit rewind once to skip back and see what I missed).

Ah... the neverending iTunes+folders discussion. Almost a decade in the making now :p

As for video-players, I wanna give a little bump to NicePlayer. It uses either Quicktime (including Perian) or CoreVideo for rendering (you can change on the fly), has a fairly decent plugin-pack with Xine and has a really low key interface but with plenty of options.

There's also playlists and support for multiple videos simultaneously.

I have VLC as a backup, whenever a file is acting wonky, but 90% of the time NP works fine.

huh what is MPlayer OSX Extended? now downloading

edit: how do I remove the Macintosh HD from my desktop? I always removed it from my old macs but now I cannot find the option to remove it

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cnet128 said:
Personally, I think I'm going to stick with VLC now that it's fixed its huge subtitle issue. Before, I was switching between VLC and MPlayer OSX depending on whether I had to view subtitles or not, and a variety of other criteria (for some subtitles, VLC was actually better, because MPlayer OSX seemed to mess up special characters). Now that subtitles are a non-issue for both, VLC just seems plain better to me. MPlayer has a nasty tendency on my computer to let the video lag behind the audio and take a while to catch up. Extended doesn't seem much better in that regard. VLC lags far less often, and when it does, it just skips briefly and then starts playing again fine (and I can just hit rewind once to skip back and see what I missed).
Set Framedrop to Soft.

framedrop_zps35e49694.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Phobophile said:
Honestly, if you just dive into the Apple way of doing things, life is so much nicer.

I have my MacMini hooked up to my TV. I use Share Screen to get into that system from my MBP and buy all my music/movies/apps through the MacMini.

Using FrontRow (via my universal remote), I can watch all my movies, tv shows and music that I've bought through iTunes.

It's awesome as all fuck, and iTunes has some crazy deals on movies every week. Just this morning I bought Starship Troopers and Stargate for 5 bucks each.

That's bargain bin prices!

Jasoco

Banned
Phobophile said:
LOL

But seriously, I let iTunes organize my music, but videos immediately get moved. Not that I download any videos at all. An occasional video podcast like an Apple Keynote or something. But if it's something I'll keep, it's immediately moved to my Media drive on my server where I keep all my DVD's.

I haven't set up iTunes on my server to link to all my movies yet. I will in time. For now it doesn't matter since I use Rivet and watch them for the most part on my Xbox 360.

Also, Movist has finnaly started working again on Snow Leopard with the latest update. So I'm switching back to that.

But seriously. Why are all the players completely different UI wise?

QuickTime 9 and below: Click video to pause doubleclick to play. Open more than one file at once.

QuickTime X: Clicking does nothing. Arrows to advance single frame or change volume. Open more than one file at once.

VLC: Doubleclick to fullscreen. Arrows up and down to volume, but not advance video. Only open one file at a time. Float on top option.

Movist: Doubleclick to fullscreen. Arrows to volume and advance 10 seconds in video. (My preference) Only open one file at a time. Float on top option.

MPlayer X Extended: Doubleclick to fullscreen. Arrows left and right to advance small amount, up and down for big amount. Only open one file at a time. Float on top option.

For Pete's sake, people! STANDARDIZE THAT SHIT! Movist does it the best. Single window view uses little space (Though QuickTime X wins the space thing.) and the arrows are used logically. Exactly how I would expect if I had never used a video player. And what the hell is with MPXE updating its goddamned Font cache wasting my fucking time?! None of the other players do it! Hell. Now that Movist is recognized by SL again, I'm just gonna delete the damn thing. It has the ugliest UI of all of them and wastes the most space.

Inconsistency in video players sucks. The perfect player would have A) a streamlined video window like QuickTime X with the disappearing titlebar and drag anywhere to move and disappearing controls that take up no screen space at all, B) the keyboard controls of Movist, C) doubleclick to fullscreen, D) float on top like VLC, Movist and MPXE and of course E) the ability to open more than one video at once. In that order I guess.

I like QTX's streamlined out of the way interface because it wastes the least room of any app ever. I'm surprised DVD Player doesn't match... yet. The disappearing titlebar and floating controls that go away when you are playing the video. If only it had a Float on Top option.

daycru

So I'm interested in installing Windows 7 via Bootcamp. Should I download the 32 bit or 64 bit version? I have the brand new $1199 MBP that came out a month or so ago. 2.26 GHZ, 2 GB of RAM.

Jasoco

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
edit: how do I remove the Macintosh HD from my desktop? I always removed it from my old macs but now I cannot find the option to remove it
In the Finder it's under Preferences. (Command+,) Then go to the General tab and turn off what you don't want.

Personally I love having my disks all on the desktop. I know I can just switch to using a new window in the Finder for this but I like seeing all my mounted stuff at a glance complete with space remaining. Plus it looks nice with my desktop picture.

Shrike_Priest said:
Ah... the neverending iTunes+folders discussion. Almost a decade in the making now :p

As for video-players, I wanna give a little bump to NicePlayer. It uses either Quicktime (including Perian) or CoreVideo for rendering (you can change on the fly), has a fairly decent plugin-pack with Xine and has a really low key interface but with plenty of options.

There's also playlists and support for multiple videos simultaneously.

I have VLC as a backup, whenever a file is acting wonky, but 90% of the time NP works fine.
Another thumbs up for NicePlayer. Once you go to a completely frameless (minus the drop shadow) video player, it's hard to go back.

Jasoco said:
Inconsistency in video players sucks. The perfect player would have A) a streamlined video window like QuickTime X with the disappearing titlebar and drag anywhere to move and disappearing controls that take up no screen space at all, B) the keyboard controls of Movist, C) doubleclick to fullscreen, D) float on top like VLC, Movist and MPXE and of course E) the ability to open more than one video at once. In that order I guess.
NicePlayer does all of that.

aparisi2274

Here is another noob question that I hope someone can help me with.

Yesterday I uploaded some pics from my digital camera and I put them into my pictures folder (I use ACDsee Beta, because I truly hate iPhoto). What I was trying to do was take the entire set of pictures and highlight them (in Windows its CTRL-A) all. I was trying Command-A, Option-A, Cntrl-A and nothing was highlighting my entire list of pictures. I finally had to just highlight the first one and then hold shift and the down arrow.

Anyone know a way to highlight the contents of an entire folder?

Thanks

mrkgoo

aparisi2274 said:
Here is another noob question that I hope someone can help me with.

Yesterday I uploaded some pics from my digital camera and I put them into my pictures folder (I use ACDsee Beta, because I truly hate iPhoto). What I was trying to do was take the entire set of pictures and highlight them (in Windows its CTRL-A) all. I was trying Command-A, Option-A, Cntrl-A and nothing was highlighting my entire list of pictures. I finally had to just highlight the first one and then hold shift and the down arrow.

Thanks
Can you click on the first, hold shift and click on the last? I dunno - it has been ages since I really had to do stuff like this.

Also, why do you hate iPhoto?

CTLance

aparisi2274 said:

Thanks
Huh? Apple-A should have done the trick in Finder. Or are you talking about ACDSee? If not:

Try it again, make doubly sure that the window is active and a file in the folder is selected. If it doesn't work then you may have switched around some settings (consult the help files?).

aparisi2274

CTLance said:
Huh? Apple-A should have done the trick in Finder. Or are you talking about ACDSee? If not:

Try it again, make doubly sure that the window is active and a file in the folder is selected. If it doesn't work then you may have switched around some settings (consult the help files?).

Hmmmmm Did I try Apple-A.... I will give it a shot tonight.

Thanks

When browsing GAF, I never seem to see every image that should appear on the screen. It seems to be pretty random, too.

For example:
I posted this yesterday, and the image I've posted was a poster for 2001: A Space Odyssey. I can't see it now, but I could see it when I posted it yesterday; I use Firefox.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Jasoco

Banned
BCD2 said:
Another thumbs up for NicePlayer. Once you go to a completely frameless (minus the drop shadow) video player, it's hard to go back.

NicePlayer does all of that.
It's not very asthetically pleasing. It looks like a theme created by someone who just got Photoshop and found the gradients feature.

I want one that uses Snow Leopard's new HUD design. Especially with the new look that came out last night. So dreamy.

I know, I'm never satisfied.

Guled

What app could I use to search and add the lyrics/album cover to the song I'm listening to on itunes? Also, looking in the wallpaper threads, I see people's mac with cool additions and stuff on their desktop. It there a good site that has ways you could improve a macbook visually?

RubxQub said:
Honestly, if you just dive into the Apple way of doing things, life is so much nicer.

I have my MacMini hooked up to my TV. I use Share Screen to get into that system from my MBP and buy all my music/movies/apps through the MacMini.

Using FrontRow (via my universal remote), I can watch all my movies, tv shows and music that I've bought through iTunes.

It's awesome as all fuck, and iTunes has some crazy deals on movies every week. Just this morning I bought Starship Troopers and Stargate for 5 bucks each.

That's bargain bin prices!
The problem I have with iTunes organization and the Apple way of doing things is I find it limiting. The master list structure doesn't sit well with me. I like how I have things setup on my server and I use XBMC as media players in multiple rooms to access it. When you select Videos, you see the following selection:

Anime
Cartoons
Classic TV
Misc
Movies
TV

To which I can then browse to a limited selection based on categories I have setup and structured. Apple and the iTunes way doesn't make that easy especially if you're using a media device or using XBMC.

Top Bottom