• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Blackhead

Redarse
scorcho said:
how is the bluetooth trackpad not as good as their laptop counterparts? i use both regularly and discern no difference other than size
  • The Magic Trackpad touvh surface is at an incline.
  • The Magic Trackpad has a larger touch surface.
  • The Magic Trackpad's bumper click buttons aren't as good imo.
The first two combined mean I can't comfortably rest my other fingers on a level plane when using the trackpad.

If I had spare cash I'd get something like this:

With a little bit of tweaking the Mini is better now... Much faster and responsive. i also think that i was running Parallells at the time, which is a no no if you want speed. Heh. I'm learning folks. :D

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Technical assistance required.

Anyone here ever use DiskWarrior?

Will DiskWarrior help repair a HDD that won't mount?

The HDD 'Invalid node structure' error comes up when a HDD repair is attempted, and is listed as 'not mounted.' I don't believe this is a hardware issue but I can't boot directly from the HDD. Will DiskWarrior be able to repair this if I am booting from an OSX disk? Can I boot directly from DiscWarrior or does it have to be installed on the HDD it's attempting to repair?

My other options are a total reformat or target disk mode which aren't the most desirable.

Most of the most important data is backed up.

hirokazu

esquire said:
Technical assistance required.

Anyone here ever use DiskWarrior?

Will DiskWarrior help repair a HDD that won't mount?

The HDD 'Invalid node structure' error comes up when a HDD repair is attempted, and is listed as 'not mounted.' I don't believe this is a hardware issue but I can't boot directly from the HDD. Will DiskWarrior be able to repair this if I am booting from an OSX disk? Can I boot directly from DiscWarrior or does it have to be installed on the HDD it's attempting to repair?

My other options are a total reformat or target disk mode which aren't the most desirable.

Most of the most important data is backed up.
Boot from anything that's not the affected drive. May be able to fix it if it's a file system thing.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
hirokazu said:
Boot from anything that's not the affected drive. May be able to fix it if it's a file system thing.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I have to go buy the disc later today when the stores open. I knew about an issue with this drive's file system after trying to partition it a while ago; I really should've taken care of it back then.

It's been a while since I've had to open up a computer and fix things. I feel like such a badass figuring this stuff out. /nerdery.

MDJCM

JeffDowns said:
With a little bit of tweaking the Mini is better now... Much faster and responsive. i also think that i was running Parallells at the time, which is a no no if you want speed. Heh. I'm learning folks. :D
What tweaks did you carry out?

Mac Rumours seems to think new Pros are due sometime around November this year. That seems a little soon to me, does that sound right to anyone else?
I really want a 13" Pro but I just can't bring myself to pay $1500 for a machine that has a Core Duo in it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I should be doing hw said:
Mac Rumours seems to think new Pros are due sometime around November this year. That seems a little soon to me, does that sound right to anyone else?
I really want a 13" Pro but I just can't bring myself to pay $1500 for a machine that has a Core Duo in it.
Isn't the regular MacBook due an upgrade more than the Pro? Then again judging by the Apple Store I went to yesterday, the regular MacBook is dead. :(

It doesn't matter when this stuff was last updated. They'll update it when they want and with whatever newer technology they have available to them.

This is why the regulars get their shit stirred up whenever someone asks for date predictions. No one can possibly know.

MDJCM said:
What tweaks did you carry out?
I wouldn't call it much of a tweak... Mainly just disabling parallels. That program destroys the mini, using it made it completely unresponsive. Other than that, it's handled everything I've thrown it lightning fast, and that's with a normal HDD and and stock amount of ram. I will put 8gb in it soon and perhaps a SSD boot drive one of the days...

Really? I could see a silent spec bump, but honestly I don't know if it makes sense to do a major upgrade with Sandy Bridge like three months away.

Firestorm

Do you mean their "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"? If you look at the dates, they've been updated every 8 months for a good 3 years now. That pegs the estimated time of the next update at December or January.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a way to get GChat video chat going in Adium? Or iChat? I feel like I'm missing something.

Bboy AJ said:
Is there a way to get GChat video chat going in Adium? Or iChat? I feel like I'm missing something.
GChat as in GTalk? In iChat, you can just simply login to your account right from the preferences screen.

Firestorm said:
Do you mean their "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"? If you look at the dates, they've been updated every 8 months for a good 3 years now. That pegs the estimated time of the next update at December or January.
Yeah that's a bit more feasible then, November is too soon.

Really? I could see a silent spec bump, but honestly I don't know if it makes sense to do a major upgrade with Sandy Bridge like three months away.
How much of an upgrade will Sandy Bridge be compared to C2D, in terms of processor speed and graphics? Is it a pretty much a lock that they will go this route? An i3 is never happening, I'm curious why they haven't gone the AMD route with their MBP line.

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
Thanks for the writeup. I have the same MacBook pro model (except mine has 2.2Ghz) so I was excited to try out Plex. I'm very disappointed to discover that Plex fails completely when encountering full DVD rips in the form of Video_TS folders (from MacTheRipper) or .dvdmedia files (from RipIt). I could compress the DVDs to avis/mkvs but there are some extra content that doesn't show up as video files. The other app I mentioned in the Software list thread, Multiplex, handles the DVDs very well and can even group different film extras under one film. Except the app appears appandoned, has no forthcoming sexy integration with TVs/Bluray players/media boxes and costs $35 :/

Do you use the Plex iOS apps? The AppStore reviews are conflicting.

ps how do you hook up the laptop to your tv? I got a DVI-HDMI cable but am using Bluetooth headphones while looking for the right audio solution.

pps that backup solution deserves respect. I inevitably use any extra storage I get for more content even though I know the wise move is to back them up. As long as I still have the original DVDs it should be all good, right?
I don't use DVD rips. I prefer to have portable MPEG-4's or MKV's for convenience. I honestly don't get the appeal of keeping the whole DVD. You're wasting so much space on MPEG-2 content (A codec that has been around for decades and is so outdated it's been surpassed a dozen times by more compressed codecs.) when you could be saving SO MUCH SPACE by taking the time to encode to MKV or H.264 and cut out all the shit you don't need. If you need special features just keep the disc around for the once in a blue moon you'll actually watch them. You can even keep both the normal track and the commentary if you need to and switch between them. Plex/Nine is amazing. Just suck it up and encode to portable video files, or wait for an update to fix it.

I don't have the Plex iOS app but I want it eventually when I have a new Mac mini in the future.

I bought a cheap DVI Mini to HDMI adapter from Monoprice. Less than $10 and it works great.

quadriplegicjon said:
:O

How did you record it? Do you have another set-top box, or were you able to transfer recordings from your dvr.

I wonder if I can do that with my comcast dvr...
On December 21st, 22nd and 23rd of 2006, Universal HD ran Back to the Future trilogy UNCUT and COMMERCIAL FREE. At the time I had both a brand new TiVo Series 3 and an Elgato eyeTV. (Well, a Magila TV Mini HD with eyeTV software) Luckily the eyeTV software was able to detect UniversalHD of all channels. (It's how I found out about the airings after all.) I recorded all three movies on both devices. I lost the first movie on my computer in a misunderstanding of which selection cropped out the end commercials and which was the movie. I ended up deleting the movie and keeping the ends. Fuck. Thankfully I had them also recorded on my TiVo. 4 years later I use some TiVo downloading software (KMTTG) to download them from my TiVo since back then Universal HD was unlocked and unprotected by DRM.

It would probably never work with your Comcast box because those Motorola boxes are so shitty they forced me to pay $800 the day before Thanksgiving 2006 to buy a Series 3 TiVo. That's how horrible they were. Freezing, overheating, crashing, dying all the time. Fucking Motorola POS. It was worth the $800 to never have to put up with a horrible UI and unintuitive interface again.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
Plex/Nine is amazing. Just suck it up and encode to portable video files, or wait for an update to fix it.

I don't have the Plex iOS app but I want it eventually when I have a new Mac mini in the future.

I bought a cheap DVI Mini to HDMI adapter from Monoprice. Less than $10 and it works great.
I'll do that eventually but converting DVDs takes hours on my machine :/

The Monoprice DVI-HDMI cable also shares audio?!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
thewesker said:
GChat as in GTalk? In iChat, you can just simply login to your account right from the preferences screen.
Ah, yeah, thanks. I knew that but I wondered if GTalk video was available on Adium.

I see where it's available in iChat now, thanks. I'm guessing it isn't on Adium?

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
I'll do that eventually but converting DVDs takes hours on my machine :/

The Monoprice DVI-HDMI cable also shares audio?!
What machine do you have? I use my new 13" MBP and it is able to encode a half-hour sitcom with two-pass encoding in about 30 minutes. I just leave it going over night.

The cable is video only. You'll need an alternate way to do audio out. I just use a headphone to RCA adapter since my sound system is shitty anyway.

Jasoco

Banned
JeffDowns said:
So, did we ever get a definitive list of OSX apps yet?
There's a thread for that. Google it.

*Dear Apple, please don't sue me for using your trademarked iTunes App Store catchphrase. I have no money. Thank you.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
What machine do you have? I use my new 13" MBP and it is able to encode a half-hour sitcom with two-pass encoding in about 30 minutes. I just leave it going over night.

The cable is video only. You'll need an alternate way to do audio out. I just use a headphone to RCA adapter since my sound system is shitty anyway.
I have a 2007 2.2Ghz MBP. It's starting to show its age.

upandaway

There are a few crazy things I wanna do with my desktop wallpaper, but I haven't found a way to do them. Can someone help?
I will be fine with either of them, but if I could get them both at the same time, that would be awesome.

- Wallpaper that changes based on the time of day, each wallpaper assigned a specific time slot
- Wallpaper randomized at startup

Both at the same time would be impossible right? It would mean that only if a specific one is drawn out, THEN it would start listening to time slots.

Jonnyram

Firestorm said:
I think there is a rumour that the 13" is going to get a CPU bump to match the high spec 15" and 17" models. That might be the only "refresh" coming up over the next few months. The actual shell won't change for a while, and the CPUs are pretty much up to speed for now, so I don't know what they could do so soon anyway.

Jonnyram

upandaway said:
There are a few crazy things I wanna do with my desktop wallpaper, but I haven't found a way to do them. Can someone help?
I will be fine with either of them, but if I could get them both at the same time, that would be awesome.

- Wallpaper that changes based on the time of day, each wallpaper assigned a specific time slot

Both at the same time would be impossible right? It would mean that only if a specific one is drawn out, THEN it would start listening to time slots.
If you are happy to get your hands dirty with scripting, you can probably do something nice.

http://thingsthatwork.net/index.php/2008/02/07/fun-with-os-x-defaults-and-launchd/

This way is not ideal, not by a long shot, as you have to refresh the dock process to update the wallpaper.

One thing that might work though...
You know you can set up to automatically cycle through a folder of photos? You could setup a folder with two files in it, and cycle between them, but have a script that copies the correct file for the current time into that folder, with the filename to overwrite your existing two images. That should work in theory.

Sean

Banned
upandaway said:

there is probably an app out there that does that, but if not, try Automator… there is an action to "Set the Desktop Picture" , you can save that as a workflow or something and have it launched through iCal at a certain time.

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
I have a 2007 2.2Ghz MBP. It's starting to show its age.
Yeah, I have a 2007 2.0GHz MB that is slowly dying that I use as the current backup/media server. (The one in the pictures) It encodes video but about 150%-200% slower than my new 2010 2.4GHz MBP. Eventually I want to replace it with either an older Mac mini with at least 2.2GGHz (So I can use the Plex app and its transcoding to iPod over wifi) or a new flat mini. Something to replace this noisy poor machine who needs to be run with the topcase off because it overheats and shuts off as soon as I do anything high processor intense like encoding or even playing 480p/720p+ H.264 video. The fan makes a noise like a jet engine dying. But it works.. for now. So it will serve me well until I can replace it.
zo7052.jpg

I don't encode on it much anymore because it just takes longer. I can set up a whole series of an old TV show and let it run overnight with my new machine and it'll work its way through quite a bit of it while I sleep and go to work. I got all of my 3rd Rock, ALF, NewsRadio, Titus and The Tick (Live action) DVD's encoded in a relatively short amount of time with a little bit of preparing.

I rip the DVD's to my HD with MacTheRipper. When they're all ripped, I can then set up a queue in HandBrake to encode its way through the whole lot of them. I set it off when I go to bed and end it when get off work the next day. HB remembers the queue as long as you don't empty it. I wish HB had a "Rip em all, sort em later" option for TV DVD's that would let me rip everything then go through later and delete the videos I don't need. It's just a little extra work to have to select each episode, press add to queue, select the next, press add, next, add. At least once you choose a preset it remembers the settings.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I'm planning on getting 8GB for my MBP soon. 4GB is nice but I really want to get the most of this. And I'm waiting for 1.5TB laptop HD's to become available for purchase bare. All I've seen is that USB3 portable drive. I want one I can buy off NewEgg bare. I will be putting my entire media collection on this laptop and sync it to my media/backup server. It has been my dream for years and all that's keeping me from achieving it is the lack of 1.5TB (Or 2TB) laptop drives for laptops. Now that they exist, why can't I buy it!?

Question: Is the RAM from a 2010 MacBook Pro compatible with a 2007 MacBook? Or even a Mac mini present and past? Is there a RAM compatibility chart somewhere of all the RAM Mac's use and which machines will run the same ones? When I get 8GB I want to put the 4GB from this machine in the server and put the server's RAM in my girlfriend's machine.

Burger

Surely that thing is just clogged up with dust right? Heat sinks don't loose thermal transfer properties over time.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
Something to replace this noisy poor machine who needs to be run with the topcase off because it overheats and shuts off as soon as I do anything high processor intense like encoding or even playing 480p/720p+ H.264 video. The fan makes a noise like a jet engine dying. But it works.. for now. So it will serve me well until I can replace it.
This. My MBP still works reasonably well. It has 4GB of RAM and I recently started booting of an SSD in the Expresscard slot. It's fast enough. But the heat and fan drive me crazy sometimes. I won't stream Flash videos anymore; I choose to download them instead. I don't mind so much that converting videos takes hours, but I do mind that the fans will be blaring the whole time, torturing me so much I'll have to use the iPad instead (merely another form of torture). If Apple ever released a MacOSX laptop that was reasonably fast, cool enought to place on my lap, and yet didn't need fans, I would sell all my electronic devices own it!

Ryck

Finally made a computer that can handle Steam. So when I buy games from Steam do they have to be Mac Compatible or how does that work?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ryck said:
Finally made a computer that can handle Steam. So when I buy games from Steam do they have to be Mac Compatible or how does that work?
You can buy any game since your purchases are linked to your account. When you open Steam in OS X it will grey out any games that are not compatible. This does not affect playing the games in Windows.

Ryck

BGBW said:
You can buy any game since your purchases are linked to your account. When you open Steam in OS X it will grey out any games that are not compatible. This does not affect playing the games in Windows.
Right, so even if it lets me buy it doesn't mean I can play it. Dang...

Sapiens

Is there a really comprehensive program that will track bandwidth usage for all my devices on my AEBS?

I know of Airport Traffic App, but it seems very limited.

hoverX

I have a 2010 MBP (i7) is it possible to hook up to 2 external monitors. They won't be cinema displays (i don't have the cash for that shit) probably samsung 24" lcd displays. I understand there are a few options but i'm looking for a stable quality solution. i.e. i want to be able to run 1080p video on the external displays.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ryck said:
Yeah installed steam and am playing around with it. So it's just a store I thought it was a platform that could play anything on it. ie Steam compatible ( doesn't matter if its mac or win).. oh well.
Steam is just a store, yes. Some games have transparent multiplayer across both Mac and PC. If you buy a title on one platform and it's a cross-platform title, you don't have to buy it again on the other platform.
So you only have to buy L4D2 once and can play against both Mac and PC gamers on a Mac or a PC with that purchase.

This is actually an unprecedented combination of features for a storefront and has the potential of reviving "proper" mainstream Mac gaming all by itself, so you shouldn't play it down as if it was trivial stuff.

As for what you'd like to have, since DirectX is still prevalent in PC gaming, it's hard to get there. OpenGL is on the rise though, which might change things.

There's some technology out there with that specific cross-platform mindset, for example Java with LWJGL and OpenAL or C++ with SDL. Hasn't reached mainstream status yet though; not by a long shot.

Ryck

wmat said:
This is actually an unprecedented combination of features for a storefront and has the potential of reviving "proper" mainstream Mac gaming all by itself, so you shouldn't play it down as if it was trivial stuff.
Sorry -_-

Top Bottom