• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Treefrog

My Downloads folder will apply the wrong dates to added files. For instance, if I download something new it will sometimes say that the date created is last year. This makes it a pain as I like to sort it by date.

Can anyone help me?

LCfiner

Treefrog said:
My Downloads folder will apply the wrong dates to added files. For instance, if I download something new it will sometimes say that the date created is last year. This makes it a pain as I like to sort it by date.

Can anyone help me?

created date for a downloaded file will be the date the file was originally created on the original computer. so if there’s a video file created in 2008, that’s what you get.

I tend to sort by date modified as that will change when I open a file.

MDJCM

Neverender said:
Is there a way to stop that 'you should have ejected your device...' message after pulling a usb drive out without ejecting it?
Why are you pulling out without eject
ulat
ing?

What's the problem? I've never had any issues just pulling it out and it's annoying to eject a device every time and I'm sick of that damn notification telling me what to do!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
On the bright side, you can now LIKE a song you didn't buy from the iTunes Store. As long as A) it exists on the iTMS and B) it is named correctly. Hallelujah! Praise be Jebus!

Also, I kinda believe in the power of Apple and think in time Ping could become something if they keep up with it and integrate it more. Shame the FaceBook deal fell through. Still..

yes, but not from your collection. Hmm, this song i'm listening to reminds me of that time I was at that great party with my friends. I'll post it to facebook to remind everyone of the good times. do de do, just load up itunes, pop into the store, search for track, find track, share. So streamlined :p

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Open the iTunes app and look at your Ping feed.
Except people don't use the same names for Ping as they do in GameCenter. It really would be a lot easier if they just added an "Add on GameCenter" button to people's Ping profiles and a "Follow on Ping" button to people's GameCenter profiles.

hirokazu

Mecha_Infantry said:
If it's even writing random temp files to the disk it can ruin it. It's for a reason dude

Anyway just install this ace app I found: http://www.jeb.com.fr/en/ejector.shtml

It makes things a little easier
I wish the eject button on the keyboard brought up a popup that let you select which mounted disk you wanted to eject instead of just ejecting the CD or DVD. I mean, disc-based media is dead according to Apple, right?

Jasoco

Banned
mrklaw said:
yes, but not from your collection. Hmm, this song i'm listening to reminds me of that time I was at that great party with my friends. I'll post it to facebook to remind everyone of the good times. do de do, just load up itunes, pop into the store, search for track, find track, share. So streamlined :p
Uh.....

Yeah. You can. Find a song in your collection, one that you ripped yourself or acquired by non iTunes means that has the right title, artist and album and like it. It works. As long as it also exists in iTMS.

Edit: Anyway, has anyone seen this new app that just showed up?

foo.jpg

HyperDock gives your OS X Dock Windows 7-like previews of all of an apps windows when you hover over the icon! Holy shit! It eeven has special previews for iTunes and iCal. It's in Beta but OMG it's just what I've wanted in OS X since Windows 7 came along.

It's Free for the Beta period and will probably cost a small fee when it's released. (Hopefully not something outrageous.)

http://hyperdock.bahoom.de/

Now if they could figure out a way to work with Chrome/Firefox/Safari and give us separate previews for each tab it would be perfect!

Oh, and if you hover over the preview it shows the full window in the foreground.

It also does the Snap feature of Windows 7 just in case you don't already use one of the other two or three apps that do that. (Personally I don't use it so I turn it off in BTT and this app.)

There's also DockView, but I find HyperDock nicer looking. Also DockView is $8 right now, but not in Beta. HyperDock is free, but in Beta and will probably cost that much in the future.
http://kapeli.com/dockview/

hirokazu

Jasoco said:
Uh.....

Yeah. You can. Find a song in your collection, one that you ripped yourself or acquired by non iTunes means that has the right title, artist and album and like it. It works. As long as it also exists in iTMS.

foo.jpg

HyperDock gives your OS X Dock Windows 7-like previews of all of an apps windows when you hover over the icon! Holy shit! It eeven has special previews for iTunes and iCal. It's in Beta but OMG it's just what I've wanted in OS X since Windows 7 came along.

It's Free for the Beta period and will probably cost a small fee when it's released. (Hopefully not something outrageous.)

Now if they could figure out a way to work with Chrome/Firefox/Safari and give us separate previews for each tab it would be perfect!

Oh, and if you hover over the preview it shows the full window in the foreground.

It also does the Snap feature of Windows 7 just in case you don't already use one of the other two or three apps that do that. (Personally I don't use it so I turn it off in BTT and this app.)

There's also DockView, but I find HyperDock nicer looking. Also DockView is $8 right now, but not in Beta. HyperDock is free, but in Beta and will probably cost that much in the future.
Yeah, I installed HyperDock last night and it's great. I wish you could change the time before the full window preview appears though, it takes much too long at the moment.

Apple really should just incorporate Windows 7 style window previews into OS X. It's a genuinely good feature.

hEist

Jasoco said:
Uh.....

foo.jpg

woah, thx!
installed hyperdock and it is nice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like to try out the new remote app on my ipad to play music that sits on my mac mini, through my AV receiver (that way I can leave my TV off). Do I have to have itunes running, or is there a lighter client that'll do the same job? Its my plex machine so I don't want a bloaty app sitting there all the time if I can help it.

LCfiner

mrklaw said:
I'd like to try out the new remote app on my ipad to play music that sits on my mac mini, through my AV receiver (that way I can leave my TV off). Do I have to have itunes running, or is there a lighter client that'll do the same job? Its my plex machine so I don't want a bloaty app sitting there all the time if I can help it.

yeah, it uses iTunes to playback the files. it needs to be running.

LCfiner

mrklaw said:
its a shit of a memory hog, right? How about CPU, is it fairly well behaved when minimised?

never uses more than a percent here and there when sitting idly... EXCEPT when churning out Genius results to the itunes store so turn off Genius (in the Store Menu) if you don't want to worry about that.

As for memory, it never seems to take up more than 300 - 400 MB for me. We should all have at least 2 GB nowadays. it's not the end of the world.

so about to clean my 13" MBP for the first time since i bought it a year ago, decent amount of dust on the screen (glossy not matte), what should i use to clean this? i have some computer/laptop cleaning wipes but not sure if they would be the safest bet, just really don't want to put micro scratches on the glossy screen

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
GodfatherX said:
so about to clean my 13" MBP for the first time since i bought it a year ago, decent amount of dust on the screen (glossy not matte), what should i use to clean this? i have some computer/laptop cleaning wipes but not sure if they would be the safest bet, just really don't want to put micro scratches on the glossy screen
just spray windex on it and use any clean cloth to wipe it clean.

Any great converters that are preferably free to convert avi to mp4 or at least something that will run in iMovie. I filmed a few videos with Fraps on Boot Camp and want to do a quick edit. Would prefer not to lose any quality / keep same aspect ratio.

Foov

I've decided to try out aperture after getting used to iphoto the last couple months - to add the photos to Aperture I just imported the entire iphoto library. Question: is it normal in this instance for the aperture library to be almost double the size of the iphoto one? (22gb in iphoto vs 37gb in aperture).

Foov

I think it's just in the itunes sync settings - mine does it automatically, i just find them in my music library every now and then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got an email that Xmarks is shutting down in January. They have a list of options as alternatives (eg firefox sync and mobileme for safari), but is there anything that is cross-browser?

I use firefox at work, and so does my wife on her laptop, but I use safari on my MBP.

mrklaw said:
Just got an email that Xmarks is shutting down in January. They have a list of options as alternatives (eg firefox sync and mobileme for safari), but is there anything that is cross-browser?

I use firefox at work, and so does my wife on her laptop, but I use safari on my MBP.
Not exactly sure what XMarks did, but Delicious should work well enough. It's universal, and has plugins for both Safari and Firefox.

luoapp

Do I need to manually empty trash in order to free up hard drive space? Or the system will do that automatically when needed?

LCfiner

luoapp said:
Do I need to manually empty trash in order to free up hard drive space? Or the system will do that automatically when needed?

you have to do it manually.

the stuff stays in the trash forever unless you empty it (just in case you ever need to retrieve a file)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
luoapp said:

This question hurts my brain.

luoapp

LCfiner said:
you have to do it manually.

the stuff stays in the trash forever unless you empty it (just in case you ever need to retrieve a file)

Thanks.

SnakeXs said:
This question hurts my brain.

How so? Have been asked too many times? My noobie apology then.:lol

tsigo

I think the implication is that if the system automatically emptied the trash, it would defeat the purpose of having a trash can.

Magnus

Christ, iPhoto can be such a piece of shit sometimes.

Every time it launches now, it seems to instantly crash. I get the colored pinwheel of death and can't do anything except Force Quit.

I've tried changing all factors and restarting the app to no effect; restarted the MacBook, closed other apps first, had my iPhone plugged in, had nothing plugged in, etc.

Help, I love you long time!

My end goal is getting crucially important videos off my iPhone; would be delighted to hear preferred methods for accomplishing this as well.

LCfiner

Magnus said:

Every time it launches now, it seems to instantly crash. I get the colored pinwheel of death and can't do anything except Force Quit.

I've tried changing all factors and restarting the app to no effect; restarted the MacBook, closed other apps first, had my iPhone plugged in, had nothing plugged in, etc.

My end goal is getting crucially important videos off my iPhone; would be delighted to hear preferred methods for accomplishing this as well.

try opening iphoto by holding down the option key and then creating a new library when it prompts you.

the crashing may be due to your current library.

you can deal with getting those movies back into your main library later on.

(if it was photos you could just use image capture, but movies don’t show up there when the iPhone is connected)

hirokazu

Magnus said:

If you have a Time Machine backup, you can just restore a copy of your library from just before it started doing this.

Otherwise, try to salvage your library?

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, that's an idea. Hopefully you have a Time Machine running. It'll have a copy of the library from before the problem started.

So.... Netflix Instant Viewing basically doesn't work on Mac OSX, right?

Every time I try to watch a movie, it starts to chug after about 7-10 minutes. Within 15 minutes, I'm getting 1 frame per second and the video is unwatchable.

It seems like it's a memory leak. The movie plays fine at first but gradually deteriorates. I've read other forums and others seem to be having the same problem with SilverLight on Mac OSX.

I just wanted to know if people here are experiencing the same problem across the board or is it limited to certain versions of Mac OSX. I'm running 10.5.8.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The Chosen One said:
So.... Netflix Instant Viewing basically doesn't work on Mac OSX, right?

Every time I try to watch a movie, it starts to chug after about 7-10 minutes. Within 15 minutes, I'm getting 1 frame per second and the video is unwatchable.

It seems like it's a memory leak. The movie plays fine at first but gradually deteriorates. I've read other forums and others seem to be having the same problem with SilverLight on Mac OSX.

I just wanted to know if people here are experiencing the same problem across the board or is it limited to certain versions of Mac OSX. I'm running 10.5.8.

I've never had issues with it. :/

Blackhead

Redarse
How may I adjust my Macbook trackpad's responsiveness/speed/(?) When using tap to click, and then drag, I have to wait a second or so after letting go before it recognizes I no longer want to drag...

Dreams-Visions said:
HyperDock - it's cool...but sometimes it forces the discrete GPU to activate. nigh cool.
I like DockView more—but would never have tried it if HyperDock hadn't first sparked my interest.

The Chosen One said:
What version of OSX are you running and are you using the latest version of SilverLight?
Never had a problem with Silverlight or Netflix on Snow Leopard.

If it were a common problem, don't you think there would be way more of an uproar about it? I've never heard anyone have anything but nice things to say about Netflix streaming.

Juice

LCfiner said:
created date for a downloaded file will be the date the file was originally created on the original computer. so if there’s a video file created in 2008, that’s what you get.

I tend to sort by date modified as that will change when I open a file.
On this topic, why the hell can stacks be sorted by Date Added (what everyone wants in a download folder), but Finder.app is still incapable of this? Bizarre as hell. It's been three years and a complete Finder Cocoa rewrite since that was introduced.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Charred Greyface said:
I like DockView more—but would never have tried it if HyperDock hadn't first sparked my interest.
Why? I tried both and decided on Hyperdock because of the interactive icons it has for some programs, such as iTunes.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bboy AJ said:
Why? I tried both and decided on Hyperdock because of the interactive icons it has for some programs, such as iTunes.
DockView gives previews for both minimized and hidden windows. HyperDock doesn't do hidden windows.

Top Bottom