• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

LCfiner said:
I just use itunes. it can do bulk editing and selection good enough for me and there's no need to transfer the edited files back into itunes if i had used an external app.

for album art, if itunes doesn't sell it int he store and cant download it automatically, try using a dashboard widget that grabs art off Amazon and can insert the art into the song playing in itunes.

you can use an apple script like needle drop to make each song only play for afew seconds so thousands of songs with no album art could have the art added in one night (this is how i did it before itunes added album art downloads a couple years ago)

you can use the widget "harmonic" to add lyrics to itunes songs while they play. same concept as the album art method above.

The only problem with iTunes is it's inability to 'embed' the Artwork into the tags. I've also tried the AmazonArt widget and although it's great, the artwork is very low resolution.

The real question I suppose I was trying to ask was where most of you get your song information from, as Wikipedia, Amazon and the iTunes store all have different information for the same Albums.

ant1532

Banned
Does anyone know a good photo editing app, something like the ones out for iphone, where it has different filters to apply to images such as vintage, polaroid, green fade, etc??? I'm really into the vintage look, bright color fade outs, and heavy shadow/low lighting.

uhmm where is the desktop picture folders located?

I want to mix "PLANTS" and "NATURE" pics

some I just do not like so I want to creat a folder for my favorite desktops to loop

thnx

LCfiner

Blindfutur3 said:
The only problem with iTunes is it's inability to 'embed' the Artwork into the tags. I've also tried the AmazonArt widget and although it's great, the artwork is very low resolution.

The real question I suppose I was trying to ask was where most of you get your song information from, as Wikipedia, Amazon and the iTunes store all have different information for the same Albums.

there's an applescript to embed all itunes artwork into the file. it's called "embed artwork". do a search for it in google, install it, then run it in itunes from the new script menu up in the menu bar. you need to select the songs you want to embed the artwork in first

tada!

can't really answer the 2nd question. i just used itunes for stuff it recognized and all my old, poorly (or non) taged files were done in by hand years ago

edit: @smiles and cries: in "hard drive"/Library/Desktop Pictures

poematik

Banned
Phobophile said:
Adium. The only IM client you'll ever need.

2612e

wowowowowowow

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Smiles and Cries said:
thank you both

I ejected an "untitled" hd image off my desktop on the OS X side seems it was the Windows hmmm

this all will take a while to learn need to find drivers for Windows 7

I wonder what else I can mess with
If the drive is still connected, you should be able to mount it via Disk Utility. As for drivers, the Vista drivers on the OS X disc should get you started.

Blindfutur3 said:
iTunes can embed artwork, it just won't do it automatically for you. Download the artwork from the store to the database -> Select all the song on the album -> Bring up the artwork viewer (the triangle inside the square under the sidebar) -> Copy & Paste

Smiles and Cries said:

some I just do not like so I want to creat a folder for my favorite desktops to loop

thnx
Library -> Desktop Pictures

mrkgoo

While we're on the Skype front, it looks like Skype for Mac (2.80) has come out of Beta. Skype 2.8 allows screen sharing on Mac!

Killthee

ant1532 said:
Does anyone know a good photo editing app, something like the ones out for iphone, where it has different filters to apply to images such as vintage, polaroid, green fade, etc??? I'm really into the vintage look, bright color fade outs, and heavy shadow/low lighting.
Have you tried Pixelmator? There's a free demo iirc.

Jasoco

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:

thnx
BTW: You can put them wherever you want too. I keep all the pictures I acquire from places like Interfacelift (Remember that website) and others in my Documents folder under a folder called "My Desktops". This makes it easier for me when I reinstall or upgrade the OS that they won't be deleted or removed accidentally since I have control over their location. Currently I have 225 images from Interfacelift I rotate through. And I am picky so I only download photos of real things. (I hate CGI landscapes and will not use a photo if I find out it was generated as opposed to photographed.) I don't even use the images supplied by Apple.

Killthee said:
iTunes can embed artwork, it just won't do it automatically for you. Download the artwork from the store to the database -> Select all the song on the album -> Bring up the artwork viewer (the triangle inside the square under the sidebar) -> Copy & Paste

I wasn't aware it could now do this. Last I checked it couldn't.

Thanks for letting me know :D

Is there a utility that lets you rearrange the icons in your menubar? I know that holding down CMD and dragging will let you move some of them, but it's not universal.

Jasoco

Banned
Battlezone said:
Is there a utility that lets you rearrange the icons in your menubar? I know that holding down CMD and dragging will let you move some of them, but it's not universal.
Unfortunately only apps that take advantage of "System Events" (The built-in menu bar app container) can rearrange. This includes all of Apples menulings and a small handful of third party apps. One of these third party apps is iStatMenus which allows ALL of its menu extras to be rearranged and dragged off like Apple's.

Other app programmers just hack themselves up there so they're limited to the following:
A) The app has no control over its location and will position itself in the order it is loaded.
B) Apps like PTHPasteboard can specify a limited amount of locations. Far Left, Far Right or Middle which places the menu either all the way left, all the way to the right in between the Spotlight menu and the System Events container, or to the left of the SE container but not further than that.

Sadly, and I don't know why because it's no longer a hack, but many apps do not take advantage of the same hooks as iStatMenus. Not sure why. It would be nice to always have them in the same place, and wherever you put them yourself.

Killthee

Blindfutur3 said:
I wasn't aware it could now do this. Last I checked it couldn't.

Thanks for letting me know :D
Yeah that used to piss me off too until I stumbled on the copy & paste trick while adding some artwork. It's had that feature for a couple of years now, since 7 I think.

ant1532 said:
Is there anything else which has more automatic preset filters rather than manual stuff though?
Probably, but I'm not aware of any and I doubt they would include the number of filters that Pixelmator comes with. Plus, moving a couple of sliders or selecting a couple of points gives you more freedom in getting the look you're going for ; )

Once you find a setting you like you can even apply the filter to batches via Automator.

Jasoco said:
Unfortunately only apps that take advantage of "System Events" (The built-in menu bar app container) can rearrange. This includes all of Apples menulings and a small handful of third party apps. One of these third party apps is iStatMenus which allows ALL of its menu extras to be rearranged and dragged off like Apple's.

Other app programmers just hack themselves up there so they're limited to the following:
A) The app has no control over its location and will position itself in the order it is loaded.
B) Apps like PTHPasteboard can specify a limited amount of locations. Far Left, Far Right or Middle which places the menu either all the way left, all the way to the right in between the Spotlight menu and the System Events container, or to the left of the SE container but not further than that.

Sadly, and I don't know why because it's no longer a hack, but many apps do not take advantage of the same hooks as iStatMenus. Not sure why. It would be nice to always have them in the same place, and wherever you put them yourself.

Well that sucks. I have a job timer that I need to track my freelance work, but it goes over so far to the left, that the Adobe menu items hide it, which completely defeats the point. But if I put the program in the "Login Items" tab in the Preferences, would it then set it closer to the right, if it's the first program to open?

Jasoco

Banned
Battlezone said:
Well that sucks. I have a job timer that I need to track my freelance work, but it goes over so far to the left, that the Adobe menu items hide it, which completely defeats the point. But if I put the program in the "Login Items" tab in the Preferences, would it then set it closer to the right, if it's the first program to open?
It is all dependent on what app loads its menu hook fastest. They rarely get in another order.

BTW, what is your resolution and what Adobe are you using that has a super long menu listing? And how many other menu apps do you have?

Jasoco said:
It is all dependent on what app loads its menu hook fastest. They rarely get in another order.

BTW, what is your resolution and what Adobe are you using that has a super long menu listing? And how many other menu apps do you have?

I'm on a MBP at 1440 x 900 and Adobe CS4. I had some menu items up there that I realized I didn't really need up there, and never got around to doing anything about it. So I've made some room, and it's workable now, but it would be nice if I could put it next to the clock.

Jal

Anyone know how i can fix this issue.

20090721-8ygjsicfadp7tjrt3p1pft173m.jpg

Any new icns files i try to swap manually just show up like that.

I do have Candybar installed but if i try to change the itunes icon with it i get a firewall warning.

Killthee

Smiles and Cries said:
urg... Bootcamp: Date and time keeps changing between OS X and Windows 7 that is so strange
The OS's each use a different method to calculate the current time. Jumping back and forth messes up the outcome:

Hitokage said:
The difference is whether or not the OS expects the hardware clock to be in the local time zone. If it is, then OS can simply report it unaltered. If the clock is set to UTC/GMT, then the OS will apply an offset to report the local time, and any time adjustments will include this offset

Jal said:

I do have Candybar installed but if i try to change the itunes icon with it i get a firewall warning.
That's happened to me several times I've tried to change an icon manually. It only does it with certain icons though, which leads me to suspect its a problem with the specific icon. I think I fixed it once by importing the icon into Candybar and then exporting it as an icns but my memory is fuzzy.

As for your Candybar problem, I don't think I've ever experienced that. You sure its not the standard administrator password needed prompt?

4c2d.png

Chris R

I need an audio player. VLC is shit and messes up the time on the track (wtf a 4 hour track is currently in its 5th hour) and iTunes is also shit.

Jal

Icons are from jonasraskdesign.com some of them work others don't im sure they all worked initially though.

The itunes thing is the accept connections warning but it pops up everytime it's opened regardless of picking allow or deny.

I've tried exporting from candybar, uninstalled candybar, repaired permissions, redownloaded icons, done a restart, no luck, guess i'll just find some different icons.

LCfiner

Charred Greyface said:
Are Applications Enahncers, haxies, safe? I'd like to try WindowShade X but I've only heard bad things about Unsanity

I thought they stopped working in Leopard. i could be wrong.

anyway, yeah, it's safe to try out but there are potential issues down the line.

prime example. Logitech "drivers" for their mice were actually using application enhancers to get things to work (tsk, tsk). when these were installed on a user's 10.4 Tiger machine a couple years ago, not everyone was aware how they were working or what was installed on their machine. no one expects a mouse to install a haxie, only a driver.

turns out that Logitech's older version of APE caused issues with the 10.5 leopard upgrade.

and by "issues", I mean that the installation would hang on a blue screen with no way out.

lot of people got freaked out.

so, y'know, just make sure you read up on APE updates and issues when updating your system (potentially even with 10.5.X point releases)

Claymore

I've recently upgraded my iMac keyboard to a wireless keyboard, now all of a sudden the a few shortcuts dont work anymore.

Like "empty trash" = shift-command-delete, but the wireless keybaord doens't have the delete button.
It only has a backspace and a function button, but that doens't work. Any suggestions?

LCfiner

Claymore said:
I've recently upgraded my iMac keyboard to a wireless keyboard, now all of a sudden the a few shortcuts dont work anymore.

Like "empty trash" = shift-command-delete, but the wireless keybaord doens't have the delete button.
It only has a backspace and a function button, but that doens't work. Any suggestions?

pretty sure you can modify the shortcut itself under the keyboard preferences pane.

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:
I thought they stopped working in Leopard. i could be wrong.

anyway, yeah, it's safe to try out but there are potential issues down the line.

prime example. Logitech "drivers" for their mice were actually using application enhancers to get things to work (tsk, tsk). when these were installed on a user's 10.4 Tiger machine a couple years ago, not everyone was aware how they were working or what was installed on their machine. no one expects a mouse to install a haxie, only a driver.

turns out that Logitech's older version of APE caused issues with the 10.5 leopard upgrade.

and by "issues", I mean that the installation would hang on a blue screen with no way out.

lot of people got freaked out.

so, y'know, just make sure you read up on APE updates and issues when updating your system (potentially even with 10.5.X point releases)
That doesn't sound good :/ and I haven't heard of any killer use for it. Why did Apple dump windowshade anyway? They've released 5 new versions of OS X since then and yet minimizing windows still doesn't cut it.

Jal

Jal said:

I've sorted this issue, the problem is you cant use .icns files you need to convert them to rsrc with this program.

Sweet.

20090721-fc239ntfqcqmytbxfpmr49q7cm.jpg

So much has changed!!!

I downloaded CuteFTP and now I cannot seem to be able to edit just the raw html code

I want to edit my html codes from index.html but instead I am getting the live HTML site with full images and not the editable source code to play with

what am I doing wrong how can I get back to the old ways of viewing my source code to update a web file?

Filezilla is also a nice alternative. I've always worked with it on Windows and it works almost as good on OSX. Free (and opensource if I remember correctly).

movie_club

ok gaffers i am using my first mac and love it! i have yet to read through this thread but i will soon!

But quick question, im trying to file transfer an mp3 using adium and i keep getting unexpected errors. I keep having to go into ichat to send them?? any help

Anso

Smiles and Cries said:
okay thanks guys I am back in business Transit had a good editor with raw html

I will download the free ones later :D THANKS

Cyberduck is my weapon of choice. Worth supporting!

koam

Killthee said:

Umm... or highlight all your songs, right click and choose "download album art"

koam said:
This doesn't embed the album art directly in the MP3 file, it just creates a link in the iTunes library file. If you were to take the MP3 and play it in Winamp, it wouldn't have any album art.

Killthee

koam said:
That wont embed the artwork into the actual file, it'll just download it and add it to the artwork database. If you transfer the file to another computer or play it on software that doesn't use the iTunes database the artwork won't appear. Copy and pasting the artwork after downloading it from the Media Store will embed the artwork into the actual file and frees it from the dependency on the database.

EmSeta

Claymore said:

Fn + backspace = Del

Top Bottom