• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

giga

The_Technomancer said:
Eh, we're handling it. But she hates how security patches are bundled in with "feature" patches, because they keep changing the interface and stuff.
Don't tell me the iPad is still on 3.2...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
giga said:
Don't tell me the iPad is still on 3.2...
Don't think so. The last update replaced the exterior button functionality from lock orientation to mute, which infuriated her, and even though the new update turns it into an option, they've lost almost every scrap of goodwill she had towards their mandatory updates being "better".

Funnily enough she still loves Apple, she says its a problem with technology as a whole.

dc89

sykoex said:
Hey guys I'm pretty new to partitions and Boot Camp and I had a question. Let's say I make a 50GB partition for Windows 7 Boot Camp, and then over time I install enough programs to where I need more than 50 GB, what can I do? Am I stuck with just the 50 GB? Can I install more programs using the space in the Mac OS X partition? Can I make the partition larger?

Nope.

You have to remove the partition and start from scratch. So choose your size wisely.

LCfiner

The_Technomancer said:
Don't think so. The last update replaced the exterior button functionality from lock orientation to mute, which infuriated her, and even though the new update turns it into an option, they've lost almost every scrap of goodwill she had towards their mandatory updates being "better".

Funnily enough she still loves Apple, she says its a problem with technology as a whole.

Did she ever own an iPhone 3G? :)

giga

The_Technomancer said:

Gotcha. But going back to her original issue of an app not running, the developer argument still stands. Separating features and security fixes wouldn't solve that.

Oppo

The_Technomancer said:
Jesus christ Apple my one big problem with you is that going home to my parents every break is a living hell, because my mother hates hates hates the forced updating. She wants to run a new app on her iPad, but can't until she downloads new firmware, which requires new iTunes different from the version she's used to, which requires a new version of Leopard that she doesn't want to download because she's tired of them screwing with her stuff.

And I agree with her. Mandatory updating is annoying and stupid.

You answered your own question. Mandatory updating is necessary precisely because most people would rather things stay as they are. And some get really pissed off sometimes when you move controls or make UI changes, particularly if their personality is a bit obsessive, I find. They'd never ever update if they had the choice, which of course is a security issue. You can't really separate the two completely, all the time.

It is possible to make the updates themselves less painful (running into several of them at once means this has already been avoided for some time) but as for the interface changing, that's just a plain fact of computer-using life, always has been.

I've been personally annoyed by many of the changes they have made to iTunes lately but that has more to do with the usefulness of the specific changes themselves, rather than the fact that anything changed at all.

mrkgoo

PortTwo said:
You answered your own question. Mandatory updating is necessary precisely because most people would rather things stay as they are. And some get really pissed off sometimes when you move controls or make UI changes, particularly if their personality is a bit obsessive, I find. They'd never ever update if they had the choice, which of course is a security issue. You can't really separate the two completely, all the time.

It is possible to make the updates themselves less painful (running into several of them at once means this has already been avoided for some time) but as for the interface changing, that's just a plain fact of computer-using life, always has been.

I've been personally annoyed by many of the changes they have made to iTunes lately but that has more to do with the usefulness of the specific changes themselves, rather than the fact that anything changed at all.

What about updates that plain make your device more suck to use? iPhone 4.1 on 3G i'm looking at you.

It's faster and smoother in some areas, but practically unusable in many, many others.

dmshaposv

Mr. Wonderful said:
Ugh. Sounds like I'll have that to look forward to. Hopefully something hardware or software will be updated by the time I order/receive my 15" in the next week or so.

Fuck man, I hope I dont have these probs. I don't live in states and there isnt a proper official apple store in Dubai to deal with the issue.

Will also be getting my 2011 15" next week. Can't wait!

Kjellson

How long does it take for a computer to arrive if you buy them from Apple? Does it take a week or do you have to wait a month or something?

dmshaposv

Kjellson said:
How long does it take for a computer to arrive if you buy them from Apple? Does it take a week or do you have to wait a month or something?

says 1-3 business days to ship, plus another couple days to deliver.

I'd assume a week, tops. I at least hope so.

Kjellson said:

Depends if you customise it. If you buy a pre-configured base model, it will ship often within 24 hours (atleast here in England). Aside from the MacBook Air, you can upgrade RAM in the retail stores there and then if you choose to buy it on the hight street than the website. Any configuration, however, will take usually a week as said above. I opted to get a MacBook Pro because it wasn't as heavy as i thought it would be (when considering the Air). I was too excited/impatient. No regrets, though. Go to the shop today and get one

Kjellson

I think the only thing I will add is Microsoft Office so it shouldn't be too bad. If it's only a week it shouldn't be a problem. I'm also using student discount so I will get it a little bit cheaper, lol. Thanks for answering guys.

Kjellson said:
I think the only thing I will add is Microsoft Office so it shouldn't be too bad. If it's only a week it shouldn't be a problem. I'm also using student discount so I will get it a little bit cheaper, lol. Thanks for answering guys.

You can still get student discount in store. All they ask of you is your student ID card (did this myself last week). And I think they may have MS Office in store as well. Or you could purchase it online perhaps?

Kjellson said:
Be careful. My Bookstore offers it for $9, when Apple wanted over a $100 for it.

Bowser

Question: I moved my iTunes library from my old Windows laptop to my Air using this method: http://www.macworld.com/article/146958/2010/03/move_itunes_windows_mac.html

However, while all my music and stuff if there, my playlists and playcounts and what not didn't transfer over. What gives? I hadn't opened iTunes before moving over the files, if that affects anything.

edit: WTF, when I copied it over it also made an iTunes Media Folder that duplicated all my songs and made my iTunes folder nearly 100 GB. Just went ahead and deleted everything, need to do this shit all over again.

Running a late 2009 iMac. Feels slow in comparison to my new iPad 2 and brothers macbook air.

Thing is a 27inch quadcore 2.8 GHz i7 with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. Cost 2299 new. It's only one gen old.

It's a beast don't get me wrong but I want a SSD. Especially for final cut.

Its only one gen back right now on iMacs. I'm thinking when the new ones come out in the next month or two about selling and upgrading for the SSD. It'll be a little over a year old, I'm hoping to get 17-1800 for it.

Anyone think thats a reasonable price? I'm just trying to figure out how much I'll need to save now.

Jasoco

Banned
Bowser said:
Question: I moved my iTunes library from my old Windows laptop to my Air using this method: http://www.macworld.com/article/146958/2010/03/move_itunes_windows_mac.html

However, while all my music and stuff if there, my playlists and playcounts and what not didn't transfer over. What gives? I hadn't opened iTunes before moving over the files, if that affects anything.

edit: WTF, when I copied it over it also made an iTunes Media Folder that duplicated all my songs and made my iTunes folder nearly 100 GB. Just went ahead and deleted everything, need to do this shit all over again.
I'm not sure, but I think the actual library file might be interchangeable as long as the path is the same. I dunno though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone know a good (doesn't have to free) DVD copying software for OSX? I got a ripper, Handbrake but no straight duplicator.

mrkgoo

VOOK said:
Anyone know a good (doesn't have to free) DVD copying software for OSX? I got a ripper, Handbrake but no straight duplicator.

I normally use ripit, but it really depends what you want it for. I've only ever used ripit and mac the ripper. I use pipit because I got it for free in a bundle, but it does seem to work well. Makes a single file that DVD layer can read, and I assume you can urn, thoughi've never tried that.

mf.luder

Bowser said:

Did you move your music over Home Sharing? That would be the easiest way. That's how I plan to migrate my music once I get my MBAir in the mail.

If you music wasn't in the iTunes library when you moved everything over, iTunes on the Mac would import the library.xml file as well as copying everything to the iTMFolder, thus adding the music to iTunes again.

I've been using RipIt but have a question. No matter what I rip, cartoons or live action, when I watch the playback video there are lines everywhere. Like when things are moving, it's almost skipping frames. I know this isn't a Mac-specific issue but what exactly is happening when the file turns out like this?

dmshaposv said:
I hope there is a software fix, apparently from what ive read it seems that during load, the hard freeze happens during graphics switching.

Also, why hasnt e-media picked this up, yet? Not many news sources reporting this.
Hopefully just a matter of time. The issue is clearly real.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
mrkgoo said:
I normally use ripit, but it really depends what you want it for. I've only ever used ripit and mac the ripper. I use pipit because I got it for free in a bundle, but it does seem to work well. Makes a single file that DVD layer can read, and I assume you can urn, thoughi've never tried that.

Yeah copying a home video for a family member, but yeah on OSX now.

mrkgoo

VOOK said:
Yeah copying a home video for a family member, but yeah on OSX now.

Mac the ripper was always the goto previously. It leaves a weird trial of DVDs in a hidden folder, however, and also is not optimised for the newer macs or OS or something unless you pay for it.

I like the simplicity of ripit, however (and well, it was free for me - or at least part of a bundle).

So there is a new Snow Leopard update, 10.6.7. It is 389.3MB in size.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/21/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-7/

Update: Apple appears to also be offering a special build for the new Early 2011 MacBook Pro, specifically addressing FaceTime performance issues, graphics stability, and external display compatibility.

The article's update seems slightly different to mine. But in the release information, I can't find any reference to updates e.g. addressing FaceTime. Where was this info found?

Meus Renaissance said:
So there is a new Snow Leopard update, 10.6.7. It is 389.3MB in size.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/21/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-7/

The article's update seems slightly different to mine. But in the release information, I can't find any reference to updates e.g. addressing FaceTime. Where was this info found?
2011's also list "Improved graphics stability and external monitor performance."

here's hoping the problems I've been seeing go away now. Download is going kinda slowly for me.

Burger

mrkgoo said:
Mac the ripper was always the goto previously. It leaves a weird trial of DVDs in a hidden folder, however, and also is not optimised for the newer macs or OS or something unless you pay for it.

I like the simplicity of ripit, however (and well, it was free for me - or at least part of a bundle).

Ripit is great, plus it uses the CLI version of Handbrake in the background to compress them to a variety of presets if you are not familiar with that sort of thing. Such a great program.

hEist

So,
today my ssd will arrive for my mac mini. best method to get a new fresh system running?
want a complety new os x, so i think i can get the "old" data of the timemachine, which i need or?

Burger

hEist said:
So,
today my ssd will arrive for my mac mini. best method to get a new fresh system running?
want a complety new os x, so i think i can get the "old" data of the timemachine, which i need or?

Just tell it you have a time machine when you turn it on, and let it restore your shit.

There is little point in installing a 'fresh' copy of OS X. It's not the same as Windows XP.

Ashhong

hEist said:
So,

I agree with Burger. Unless you want to have a smaller Applications library or something without uninstalling individual programs, I would consider using Carbon Copy Cloner. Makes life so easy.

What's the attraction to desktop apps? Every day I read more praise of Sparrow, but even if it has all the functionality of Gmail, what would make me use it over Gmail? Not trolling -- just asking.

th3dude

Battersea Power Station said:
What's the attraction to desktop apps? Every day I read more praise of Sparrow, but even if it has all the functionality of Gmail, what would make me use it over Gmail? Not trolling -- just asking.

Some people like the power and flexibility (ie utilizing the OS) of native apps and others like the simplicity and cleanliness (ie no installation) of web apps.

To each his/her own. This debate rages on in the smartphone world as well.

Battersea Power Station said:

Especially when you have add-ons in your browser that do this.

2a455d.jpg

Having said that, I will try Sparrow.

th3dude

Synless said:
What exactly were the GPU issues?

They were all over Engadget and the other tech blogs yesterday. Basically there were 2 issues:

1. Some of the 2011's were causing flickering on Cinema Displays
  2. Under heavy load (ie rendering video), the 15" and 17" would freeze up due to an issue in the GPU switching function or something along that line
Both issues are supposed to be fixed now.

Top Bottom