• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Should I bother allowing my 21.5 iMac go into sleep mode, or should I just leave it at display sleep?

What do you guys do?

Magnus

I just got catastrophically burned by the stone-age File/Folder Replace/Merge debacle that apparently still resides in Mac OSX. Long story short, I assumed Replace All would merge two folders of the same name, but instead, I'm left with a version of the folder that is current as of January 2011 instead of May 2011.

There was no option in the dialog box to "Merge". Just Replace or not. No Keep Originals. Nothing. Just tested it again. I have Snow Leopard or whatever was released with last year's MBPs.

My MBP hasn't been restarted yet or anything. Is there any way to undo this?

Please help. :(

Ashhong

Stupid question but is there anything in your Trash Bin? Do you keep Time Machine backups? I'm going to guess the answer is no to both...

edgefusion

Topher said:
Should I bother allowing my 21.5 iMac go into sleep mode, or should I just leave it at display sleep?

What do you guys do?

You'll save more energy if you put it to sleep. Speed-wise it's almost the same to wake up or go to sleep as it is to let the display turn off anyway so you might as well.

hirokazu

Topher said:

What do you guys do?
I use the lower left corner of the screen as a hot corner to put the display to sleep, so as soon as I get up to do something, I'd just move by mouse there (so that the login screen shows up if someone tries to access it). In terms of timeout, I'm set to 5min screensaver, 8min display sleep, 10min sleep.

Firefox and/or it's extensions usually prevents the computer from actually sleeping if its running though.

hirokazu

Magnus said:
I just got catastrophically burned by the stone-age File/Folder Replace/Merge debacle that apparently still resides in Mac OSX. Long story short, I assumed Replace All would merge two folders of the same name, but instead, I'm left with a version of the folder that is current as of January 2011 instead of May 2011.

There was no option in the dialog box to "Merge". Just Replace or not. No Keep Originals. Nothing. Just tested it again. I have Snow Leopard or whatever was released with last year's MBPs.

If you don't have backups, you're fucked. :| I think everybody learns this sooner or later because the file replace or ignore dialog is stupid and especially for folders it's not clear that there's no merge. I think this is at least somewhat rectified in Lion.

The Windows 7 dialogue for it is the best.

Jasoco

Banned
I learned that 10 years ago. And HDD's are a fraction of the price they were back then.

Not having a clone of your HD in this day and age is asking for trouble. But you live and learn. I learned a dozen times before it stuck.

To anyone using my Safari extension, I'm posting about updates here, so you can find out what's been added, etc. The newest update added image resizing :D

Also what do you guys recommend for an FTP application? I've been using Espresso's FTP stuff but I'd rather have a standalone application.

Treefingers said:
To anyone using my Safari extension, I'm posting about updates here, so you can find out what's been added, etc. The newest update added image resizing :D

Also what do you guys recommend for an FTP application? I've been using Espresso's FTP stuff but I'd rather have a standalone application.

I think I am using, but I have never seen my posts/threads highlighted.

Good otherwise.

testing spoilers hovering

Neat, hovering works. Still not getting my stuff highlighted

Mecha_Infantry said:
I think I am using, but I have never seen my posts/threads highlighted.
You put in your username in the settings? I just tried and I can get your posts highlighted if I put your username in there.

Treefingers said:
You put in your username in the settings? I just tried and I can get your posts highlighted if I put your username in there.

Ok I see, it is case sensitive!

Also maybe add a non code colour entry, like radio buttons or ticks. If you can of course :)

KtSlime

Treefingers said:

Do you have to set up something special to auto update the extension? For FTP I use transmission, however espresso looks rather nice, what's wrong with it?

Oh geez, I feel like an idiot now, I meant Transmit. Stupid languages with their words and such...

How do I stop OSX from downloading/installing updates I don't want? I deselect the update and press not now, but it still comes back after a while

Stupid random iWorks update I dont need

ivedoneyourmom said:
Do you have to set up something special to auto update the extension? For FTP I use transmission, however espresso looks rather nice, what's wrong with it?
If you go into Settings > Extensions, there's an Updates tab that has a checkmark for auto-updating extensions. =)

As for Espresso, there's nothing really wrong with it, I just don't like how you have to have a project open to access FTP (maybe I'm missing something though?) I'd rather have a regular FTP program I can just open and have access to my website. And I think you mean Transmit? :p I'll give it a try, thanks.

Jasoco

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
How do I stop OSX from downloading/installing updates I don't want? I deselect the update and press not now, but it still comes back after a while

You can hide updates for apps you don't use. But I wouldn't hide ones for stuff that's important. Also, I'd update it anyway just for the heck of it. Updates don't come up every day. At least it's not Windows that makes you wait for 5 minutes almost every time you reboot or shutdown just to install updates. Reminds me of the AOL days. "Downloading ART files 1/302"
LLShC.gif

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mecha_Infantry said:

Why don't you just update it? It's is usually fixes and shit.

Jasoco

Banned
If you use iWork, update it. If you don't, why not uninstall it? OS X will only tell you about updates for the apps you have.

fireside

Mecha_Infantry said:

Click on the update you want to prevent from updating and press the Delete key.

KtSlime

Treefingers said:
If you go into Settings > Extensions, there's an Updates tab that has a checkmark for auto-updating extensions. =)

As for Espresso, there's nothing really wrong with it, I just don't like how you have to have a project open to access FTP (maybe I'm missing something though?) I'd rather have a regular FTP program I can just open and have access to my website. And I think you mean Transmit? :p I'll give it a try, thanks.

I meant on your end, if I have already downloaded the extension shouldn't it auto update as long as I have the button checked?

And yeah, I did mean transmit. English, how does it work. :(

Magnus said:

Sorry bro. :-(

ivedoneyourmom said:
I meant on your end, if I have already downloaded the extension shouldn't it auto update as long as I have the button checked?

And yeah, I did mean transmit. English, how does it work. :(
Yup I have updates set up, so you'll be getting new versions automatically. =)

guest1321

guest1321 said:
Hey so I have a macbook, iphone, and ipad. when i am home i want to use one of the peripherals as point which i can push music to. Ex. I am sitting in my room, and listening to music through itunes. I am about to go make dinner so I want it to continue in the kitchen. I know how airport works but given that it would cost more money i don't want to buy one of those blocks. So basically If i have my idevice in the other room, can i somehow set that up as one of the speakers that iTunes would recognize. Bother are jailbroken if that helps.

Well I didn't get a response on this one and by luck I was able to find something. If you have an iDevice of some sort and it is jailbroken, you can go through xsellize repository in cydia. From there download " airplayspeaker ". When you open up itunes your iphone will appear as an airplay option in the bottom right of the window through which you can stream music to.

Treefingers said:

ALso one more request is multiple quotes!

Jasoco said:
You can hide updates for apps you don't use. But I wouldn't hide ones for stuff that's important. Also, I'd update it anyway just for the heck of it. Updates don't come up every day. At least it's not Windows that makes you wait for 5 minutes almost every time you reboot or shutdown just to install updates. Reminds me of the AOL days. "Downloading ART files 1/302"
LLShC.gif

quadriplegicjon said:
Why don't you just update it? It's is usually fixes and shit.

It's for QuickTime Pro, etc. Pro apps I don't have thats alll

fireside said:
Click on the update you want to prevent from updating and press the Delete key.

Cheers

guest1321 said:
Well I didn't get a response on this one and by luck I was able to find something. If you have an iDevice of some sort and it is jailbroken, you can go through xsellize repository in cydia. From there download " airplayspeaker ". When you open up itunes your iphone will appear as an airplay option in the bottom right of the window through which you can stream music to.
or for a link from a less seedy source:

http://www.multiupload.com/SZ82GWQM1Q

ssh into your phone, drop the file in your AutoInstall folder and restart or install it manually (dpkg -i)

either way, it works great. thanks for the tip, guest1321.

I don't know how often I'd ever use this, but it's nice to have the option.

PS, does anyone use Sparrow?

Before I buy I want to know if it's good enough with Mobile me.

SInce you can't see folders, is it easy to see your folder new email count?

Currently looking for a really neat and smooth email experience. Not satisfied at the minute

My Macbook Pro is back and good as new! Anyone have any experience with Darwiin Remote? I'm trying to use it to use my Wii Remote as a mouse while it's hooked up to my TV, but it keeps syncing with my Wii instead of my laptop whenever I turn the Wii on to power the sensor bar...

guest1321

Mecha_Infantry said:
PS, does anyone use Sparrow?

Before I buy I want to know if it's good enough with Mobile me.

SInce you can't see folders, is it easy to see your folder new email count?

Currently looking for a really neat and smooth email experience. Not satisfied at the minute

Yeah it it is extremely easy. You have a main button for inbox or new mail. Then you also have a button in the bottom left that you can click and it gives you a drop down menu to choose the folder. From there it just appears as the iOS mail does. Hope this helps

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
cooljeanius said:
My Macbook Pro is back and good as new! Anyone have any experience with Darwiin Remote? I'm trying to use it to use my Wii Remote as a mouse while it's hooked up to my TV, but it keeps syncing with my Wii instead of my laptop whenever I turn the Wii on to power the sensor bar...
Get a battery powered wireless third party sensor bar. Then the wii won't have to be on

Less than 10 bucks on amazon typically.

noah111

Still Alive
Ok I have a huge problem I hope someone could help me fix. I have two users on my MBP, the guest and my main one. For some reason after I booted into Mac OS X from Windows 7 (Boot Camp), I was unable to login to my main user. It just sits there with a blue screen and spinning loading circle (not beachball) and then eventually kicks back to the login menu. I restarted several times, no luck.

So I go on the guest user and do something I thought would help, which is enable automatic login for the user. I restart and still no luck, but now even worse is I can't access the guest user either! It simply sits trying to login indefinitely and not retiring to the login menu… NO OS X access!

After some panic I get my Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation disc and put it in. It doesn't even boot up (later I figured out you hold down C at startup), so I go onto Windows 7 and open Boot Camp and select restart to disc. That works, and now I go into disk utility and do all the stuff, fix disk, repair disk, permissions, everything. I also figure out how to change my password so now the automatic login doesn't occur.

I Restart and find it still won't login. PANIC. So after much despair, I eventually go on the guest user and create a new admin user and from there at least I can access my other users' files and stuff, however all the apps (like iTunes, etc) of course do not retain my main users' content, preferences, and so on. But at least I can access chrome and beam this out for help. so: PLEASE HELP!!

PS. An answer within the next few hours would be great please, since i'm at a net caffe and rarely (once every few weeks) get to come here and access the internet. Thanks!

Oh and another thing, why the hell can't I make a new partition on my hard drive bigger than 8GBs? I'm running W7 on that much space, which is a pain.
I have 100 gigs free but I can't make a partition to use for Boot Camp or otherwise, bigger than 8 gigs. I've tried everything, any help with this too? Though the above problem is much more urgent of course. :p

Try booting into Safe Mode.

also, I have no idea why you can't make a partition bigger than 8GB. how much of your HDD is available? Is that the maximum size Bootcamp Assistant said it could give you?

noah111

Still Alive
How can I boot into Safe Mode? Also if that has anything to do with viruses and stuff, I doubt it will work because I rarely ever get to go onto the internet at the moment anyway.

100GB is free, I don't see it saying that's the max, because I can move the graphical bar thing up to the 90s but it simply won't work. I can take a pic if that'll help? Thanks too.

guest1321 said:
Yeah it it is extremely easy. You have a main button for inbox or new mail. Then you also have a button in the bottom left that you can click and it gives you a drop down menu to choose the folder. From there it just appears as the iOS mail does. Hope this helps

Thanks, using it now

So say for example an email comes to my inbox, my email count wil be 1, now if an email comes to one of my folders my count wil be 2, but will I see it in my inbox view, or will I need to hit the tag button?

Thats one thing I am not sure how all the email clients work

hirokazu

Sentry said:
Oh and another thing, why the hell can't I make a new partition on my hard drive bigger than 8GBs? I'm running W7 on that much space, which is a pain.
I have 100 gigs free but I can't make a partition to use for Boot Camp or otherwise, bigger than 8 gigs. I've tried everything, any help with this too? Though the above problem is much more urgent of course. :p
What are you using to repartition your drive? How is your drive currently partitioned?

It sounds like you might need to defrag your Mac OS partition to move everything to the start of the volume and leave all the free space at the end.

hirokazu

Sentry said:
How can I boot into Safe Mode? Also if that has anything to do with viruses and stuff, I doubt it will work because I rarely ever get to go onto the internet at the moment anyway.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

This is kinda strange, I've had OS X freeze during login before and not show the menu bar, dock or desktop, but that was on the uni networked ones. I fixed it by sshing into my account and deleting a bunch of Linux related stuff in my user folder. I think it was because I had gone over my storage quota on my account.

What's the spinning progress indicator? I thought modern OS X shows the login screen almost the instant you press Enter after typing your password... Does it just stay stuck at the user login screen with the spinning indicator?

If you're the adventurous type, then you'd try to figure you the problem and fix it, but in this instance, I think it's much easier to just copy over all the data and settings from your old account and then delete the old account. (But copy bits and pieces and then test that you can still log in.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What software do I use to make videofiles show up as "tv shows" in front row?
I know I've seen someone mention it before.

scola said:
Get a battery powered wireless third party sensor bar. Then the wii won't have to be on

Less than 10 bucks on amazon typically.
Darn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to that... then again, if they really are that cheap...

JAVK said:
Is there a Netflix app for macs or some way to play movies other than through the website? The online player makes my macbook too loud and hot.
There are several media players (like Plex) that stream Netflix but it won't solve your Macbook heating up (since they still have to use Silverlight & Netflix's method of streaming).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Was just thinking about frontrow.

..sure would be nice if Apple put that AppleTV netflix app in frontrow for lion.

Frontrow is a very nice feature if you rely on iTunes to manage all your shit.

LCfiner

Jtwo said:
Was just thinking about frontrow.

..sure would be nice if Apple put that AppleTV netflix app in frontrow for lion.

Frontrow is a very nice feature if you rely on iTunes to manage all your shit.

guess what?

Front Row is not even in the Lion builds right now.

it might be ripped out for release. :(

1. How do you delete words input into search boxes for websites without deleting the entire history? You can do this on Windows

2. When I turn the backlit keyboards, I discover later on the brightness setting increased dramatically to what I had set it to. Is this normal? How is it happening?

KtSlime

Jtwo said:
What software do I use to make videofiles show up as "tv shows" in front row?
I know I've seen someone mention it before.

Use iTunes and or subler to change their metadata.

LCfiner: might be? Is. Without a doubt in my mind. It has been broken for 2 years, and hasn't been updated in 4. Apple removed it from Lion because of immense bit rot. Now you may say there is a chance they will add it back, but I doubt it. I am still keeping my hopes out for at least the ability to receive AirPlay streams, but not much more.

Meus: You can't, however you can probably manually edit the plist file that stores that data. I recommend next time using private browsing mode...

LCfiner said:
guess what?

Not surprising. Once Apple stopped packaging the remote with their computers I assumed they were slowly fazing out Front Row.

LCfiner

ivedoneyourmom said:
LCfiner: might be? Is. Without a doubt in my mind. It has been broken for 2 years, and hasn't been updated in 4. Apple removed it from Lion because of immense bit rot. Now you may say there is a chance they will add it back, but I doubt it. I am still keeping my hopes out for at least the ability to receive AirPlay streams, but not much more.

Yeah, I figured it was gone for sure but just didn't want to say 100% since this is still a dev preview.

but the writing is on the wall, I agree.

bit of a shame. I don't use it often but it can come in handy now and then.

AlexMogil

LCfiner said:
guess what?

That's a shame because it really is a pretty nice media player. I wonder if it's just a steer towards AppleTV?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:
guess what?

Such a shame!
Gah, I cannot wait to get a new computer though. Do the new macbookairs still have the IR port?

MicH

The hinge on my 2010 15" MacBook Pro has been making "popping" noises on the left side when I open or closes the screen. If I press it with my finger, it also makes that noise.

Is this something serious or is it nothing to worry about?

Top Bottom