• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

bionic77

MicH said:
The hinge on my 2010 15" MacBook Pro has been making "popping" noises on the left side when I open or closes the screen. If I press it with my finger, it also makes that noise.

Is this something serious or is it nothing to worry about?
Best thing to do if you are under warranty is to take it to Apple store ASAP.

MicH

bionic77 said:
Best thing to do if you are under warranty is to take it to Apple store ASAP.
I'm not, unfortunately. Also, we have no official Apple stores where I live (Denmark), but only resellers. I'll try and email Apple. Is this really bad? It's only a year old.

KtSlime

AlexMogil said:
That's a shame because it really is a pretty nice media player. I wonder if it's just a steer towards AppleTV?

I don't believe anything is 'just' one things or another at Apple, it doesn't fit with their MO. However do I think that they are aware that they will probably make more money and distribute more products by removing the old bit rotten code that needs to be removed anyway? Yeah.

It was a fine media player, but it was out of date, had broken iTunes integration, no longer matched the system, lacked features that had been pushed to Apple TV, used an interface that is incongruent with Apple's other offerings, used outdated APIs that are likely no longer supported by Lion, and Apple no longer provides a remote for interacting with it*.

It is/will be even more awkward now that Apple TV 2 is an iOS based device that is extensible through a completely different API/Interface. So Apple had IMO 2 options, remove the old code and feature, or to replace the old code with an AppleTV emulator. Option 1 was the most economically viable and prudent. Simply leaving it how it was was not an option, aside from the fact that it had all the issues I already brought up it was also likely using 32 bit carbon functions, which is likely the reason it wasn't updated for Snow Leopard, and why it would be impossible without a serious investment in old code to bring it up to Lion standards which is attempting to phase out the Carbon/32bit/PPC vestiges.

Sorry this was long, just trying to shed some light on the subject.

KtSlime

LCfiner said:
Front Row will get resurrected and integrated into itunes when itunes becomes a 64 bit cocoa app.

/waits forever.

Yeah, this is the most likely answer, iTunes Cocoa will probably have a fullscreen mode similar to the Take 2. When this will come, not even Steve knows, iTunes is saddled with too much Window's baggage to be able to properly take a look at. It's quite sad that Microsoft's fuck ups have held back computing for the majority of the population by nearly 10 years. *sigh*

KtSlime

scorcho said:

If iTunes was simply a Mac app Apple could do whatever the hell they wanted to it. Unfortunately, and for good reason Apple needed to make it compatible with Windows to be able to maximize the consumer base for iPods/iPhones/iPads, etc. To be able to maintain this compatibility they need to keep old code much longer than they like, and add features which would on the Mac at least be held in other applications.

Apple could in theory redo much of iTunes and move it to the small Cocoa layer they made for Safari, and I think that was their plan, however I don't think they expected for so few people to migrate from XP and were waiting to port more of the Cocoa layer over to a more modern Windows OS.

To clarify: I think Apple is waiting till more people upgrade from XP to move iTunes to Cocoa 64bit, so they can drop support.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
so in other words, complete conjecture. Apple has more than enough resources available to them to redo iTunes on either platform as they wish. it's just not a priority.

KtSlime

scorcho said:
so in other words, complete conjecture. Apple has more than enough resources available to them to redo iTunes on either platform as they wish. it's just not a priority.

They have more than enough resources to buy all the diamonds in Africa but you don't see them doing that either.

While it is conjecture, it has a pretty strong basis in reality, and would account for why iTunes has the oldest codebase of any of their apps and is the ONLY 32bit app running on my system at the moment.

Do you have a better explanation as to why Apple hasn't updated iTunes? Or are you just being contrary?

scorcho

ivedoneyourmom said:
Do you have a better explanation as to why Apple hasn't updated iTunes? Or are you just being contrary?
Sure, and it's the more logical reason - it hasn't been a priority for them. The program runs rather well on OSX, decently on Windows, and transitioning to 64-bits and/or Cocoa offers no tangible advantage.

KtSlime

scorcho said:
Sure, and it's the more logical reason - it hasn't been a priority for them. The program runs rather well on OSX, decently on Windows, and transitioning to 64-bits and/or Cocoa offers no tangible advantage.

As a person that has a multilingual library I beg to differ.

iTunes is the biggest piece of crap Apple releases*, the interface is inconsistent, it is bloated, it does not act like all the other OS X apps, it requires APIs that Apple has been long trying to depreciate, and has made further attempts to depreciate with Lion.

iTunes is broken, and while the cost/reward ratio isn't right for Apple to do a rewrite yet, that doesn't mean that they aren't planning on it, that they don't know it needs to be done, and that it won't happen in the future.

*I can say this because I also am a MobileMe subscriber.

ivedoneyourmom said:

iTunes is the biggest piece of crap Apple releases, the interface is inconsistent, it is bloated, it does not act like all the other OS X apps, it requires APIs that Apple has been long trying to depreciate, and has made further attempts to depreciate with Lion.

iTunes is broken, and while the cost/reward ratio isn't right for Apple to do a rewrite yet, that doesn't mean that they aren't planning on it, that they don't know it needs to be done, and that it won't happen in the future.
No, that honor is clearly reserved for Windows QuickTime.

scorcho

ivedoneyourmom said:

iTunes is the biggest piece of crap Apple releases*, the interface is inconsistent, it is bloated, it does not act like all the other OS X apps, it requires APIs that Apple has been long trying to depreciate, and has made further attempts to depreciate with Lion.

*I can say this because I also am a MobileMe subscriber.
oh, i completely agree, but i don't see how Windows has anything to do with Apple's inertia here. they've already ported Safari over to Windows, and with it a bunch of frameworks that would make any iTunes rewrite to cocoa rather trivial to accomplish.

besides, i doubt Jobs would ever allow a limitations in Windows, of all things, to dictate an iTunes code overhaul.

Jasoco

Banned
So is the WWDC Keynote on the 6th (Monday) or 7th (Tuesday) of June? Usually they do them Tuesdays, but WWDC starts on Monday.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how the hell do I merge the contents of a folder?

I'm trying to move my media, a bunch of TV shows, movies and music, from a bunch of smaller USB drives to a larger NAS. But of course the TV folder has shows on two drives that are the same (but with different episodes in), and the music folder has the same artists across drives but with different tracks in.

So I copy the first drive across - no problem. Copy the second drive contents across...'you already have a folder called 'blah' - do you want to replace it?'

If I click replace, it deletes the original fucking folder entirely! If it was windows explorer, it would merge the contents, considering only clashes at the file level. I don't care if OSX considers a folder to technically be a file, its clearly messed up.

Are there any solutions without reverting to the terminal? I don't want to waste hours copying and checking just in case I get a \ or a / in the wrong place.

Ashhong

someone posted not too long ago about how he fucked up and replaced a folder like that. you could always copy over the contents of the folder instead of the actual folder itself. do you have a lot to copy?

Ashhong said:
someone posted not too long ago about how he fucked up and replaced a folder like that. you could always copy over the contents of the folder instead of the actual folder itself. do you have a lot to copy?
yea, just copy the contents into the new folder.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dreams-Visions said:
yea, just copy the contents into the new folder.

the contents are more folders. going down into hundreds of individual folders and moving thousands of individual files for 2TB of files will take FOREVER

basically for TV I have show/season/episode.mkv

then for music I have artist/album/track.mp3

Across 3 locations that I need to merge into one new location.

VNZ

mrklaw said:
the contents are more folders. going down into hundreds of individual folders and moving thousands of individual files for 2TB of files will take FOREVER

basically for TV I have show/season/episode.mkv

then for music I have artist/album/track.mp3

Across 3 locations that I need to merge into one new location.
Wait for 10.7... :)

Alternatively, do it with a 3rd party file manager like Forklift or Transmit (while being FTP app at heart, it's really quite useful for local file operations too).

SuperPac

Jasoco said:
So is the WWDC Keynote on the 6th (Monday) or 7th (Tuesday) of June? Usually they do them Tuesdays, but WWDC starts on Monday.

They've not released the schedule for WWDC yet (for some reason).

BDCasbox

Neo Member
Just ordered my first MacBook. I'm excited to have a Mac finally. Question though, was it a good idea to get Microsoft Office over iWork?

linkboy

Does anyone know where to replace the power cord for a MacBook Pro and for a cheaper price then the $80 Apple wants.

Mine bit the dust last night (both of my power cords, still have the one from my 06 MBP, have frayed badly by at the brick) and I need to replace them.

My problem isn't at the magsafe adapter (never had that part go out), its at the brick.

What are some tips (for when I get my new charger) to prevent the cord from doing this

Power_Cord_4.jpg

BDCasbox said:
Just ordered my first MacBook. I'm excited to have a Mac finally. Question though, was it a good idea to get Microsoft Office over iWork?

I really like Office 11, MS really did a good job with it.

scorcho

Office 11 is fantastic. You can also buy Pages for cheap in the App Store if you'd want to try it out.

Jasoco

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I hope they don't kill of front row unless they allow a method to move through your media with the apple remote still. I'm lazy dammit!
Plex. It offers remote support. It gives you a driver that lets you launch Plex with the Menu button and control it from your remote.

But I just use the iOS Plex App. It's fuck awesome. Combined with Rowmote Pro for everything else. Since Rowmote also acts like the Apple remote, pressing the Menu button will also open Plex. (For some reason the Plex app doesn't even let you open it from the remote app yet. Seems like a silly oversight.)

linkboy said:
What are some tips (for when I get my new charger) to prevent the cord from doing this

Power_Cord_4.jpg
Don't pull the cord so tightly right from the base when you're wrapping it around the brick. I make a small loop and hold it before wrapping the rest of the cord around, so almost no pressure is put on the cable where it joins.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
linkboy said:
I really like Office 11, MS really did a good job with it.

lol. Office 07 on my 3 years old laptop is faster, snappy, less bug ridden, more stable etc. than Office 11 on my newish imac.

its like microsoft wanted revenge for the quicktime player.

sankt-Antonio said:
lol. Office 07 on my 3 years old laptop is faster, snappy, less bug ridden, more stable etc. than Office 11 on my newish imac.

Damn. No stability or speed problems here.

SSD FTW!!!

dc89

sankt-Antonio said:

iWork FTW!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sankt-Antonio said:

i find libre office to be pretty good

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dreams-Visions said:
Damn. No stability or speed problems here.

SSD FTW!!!

have you spend some time with Office 07?

i was so let down by it (mac Office), and it gave me so many problems that i work with my 14" laptop in front of my 27" imac. and thats just sad.

Scrow said:
i find libre office to be pretty good
its free and its good - but it still is no match for Office
god, i sound like a fanboy

dc89 said:
Don't any of you guys use iWork?
well since its not the industrie standard i never even thought about trying it, maybe i should.

VNZ

dc89 said:
For sure, I use it exclusively and it never gave me any problems. I've heard number lags behind Excel for really large documents, but for what I use the suite for (mainly Keynote presentations and small good looking Pages documents) it's so much more enjoyable than Office.

linkboy said:
Does anyone know where to replace the power cord for a MacBook Pro and for a cheaper price then the $80 Apple wants.

Mine bit the dust last night (both of my power cords, still have the one from my 06 MBP, have frayed badly by at the brick) and I need to replace them.

My problem isn't at the magsafe adapter (never had that part go out), its at the brick.

Power_Cord_4.jpg

This video will help you - http://www.tested.com/how-to-properly-coil-a-macbook-power-cord/47-105/

KtSlime

dc89 said:
I do, it is pretty intuitive. However it lacks some of the more eccentric features. I'm waiting for the update, I expect many of the advancements introduced in the iPad version to make their way to the new version.

rezuth

sankt-Antonio said:

That is odd, even on my older late 2007 MacBook Pro I find 2011 to be crazy speedy. Especially when you compare to the slouche that was 2008. That took AGES to start.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I made a 5 minute movie with a Canon Ixy 8m pixel camera. It's a .avi and it's about 560 Mbs. I uploaded it to YouTube and it looked okay. Then I added a song with iMovie '09 (I have a macbook from '07 and it's the only movie editing software I currently have). Afterwards I uploaded the file on YT again but this time it looks a lot shittier - grainy, washed-out colors, etc. This is the first time I've added music to a video, but surely it must be possible to add music without this very obvious loss of image quality?

Rei_Toei said:
I made a 5 minute movie with a Canon Ixy 8m pixel camera. It's a .avi and it's about 560 Mbs. I uploaded it to YouTube and it looked okay. Then I added a song with iMovie '09 (I have a macbook from '07 and it's the only movie editing software I currently have). Afterwards I uploaded the file on YT again but this time it looks a lot shittier - grainy, washed-out colors, etc. This is the first time I've added music to a video, but surely it must be possible to add music without this very obvious loss of image quality?

You messed up something.

Did you open the same project you previously exported from iMovie to youtube ?
Did you exported the project (with music) the same way than the first one ?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
UnluckyKate said:
You messed up something.

Did you open the same project you previously exported from iMovie to youtube ?
Did you exported the project (with music) the same way than the first one ?

Well, the first upload was just the .avi as it came from the camera, straight to YT via the website. The second one, with music, I uploaded via the build-in option in iMovie to upload it to YT. Could it be that iMovie in that process of uploading it also compressed it or something? It didn't state anything like that.

Edit: welp, a n00b is me, didn't check the filesize of the project, iMovie reduced the 500+ mb file to something of 60Mbs or something. Off to finding out how to prevent it from doing that I guess.

Jasoco

Banned
Also remember, the worse the compression on the source, the worse it's going to look and more compression it's going to need on the destination. And the more you re-encode a video, the worse it gets over time. I always start with the highest quality I can get so by the time it gets to YouTube (Which also compresses it even more for each device and resolution) it still looks okay. My iPod and iPad record 720p. So I use that instead of the SD camera on the other side. And I don't even use the one on my Android phone. (Lowest end Android you can buy.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
backup question for iphoto.

Is there any way to automatically export jpegs from iphoto to another location for backup/portability? Ideally in the same folder structure as the events, and supporting incremental backups so I can run it regularly and it doesn't backup the whole thing?

I have chronosync backing up the library which is fine, but I'd like another copy that has simple jpegs so it can be easily referenced by other computers.

dc89

mrklaw said:
backup question for iphoto.

Is there any way to automatically export jpegs from iphoto to another location for backup/portability? Ideally in the same folder structure as the events, and supporting incremental backups so I can run it regularly and it doesn't backup the whole thing?

I have chronosync backing up the library which is fine, but I'd like another copy that has simple jpegs so it can be easily referenced by other computers.

I had the same problem. When you just use File > Export (something like that) it just dumps all the JPEGS into a folder. Then when you import you lose all your events, places, faces and it just goes under Last Import.

I hope you mean that anyway, that's what happened to me when I transferred from MacBook to new imac. Of course I could have done the whole transfer thing so both machines were identical but I like a cleanish start every now and then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want to put the jpegs - preferably in event folders - on a NAS for backup and so they can be accessed by other computers on the network that don't understand what an iphoto library is.

I'm trying a bit of software called 'iphoto to disk'. Seems to be doing the trick. Exports jpegs into date/event/file.jpg structure (or just events), and can keep track of what has previously been exported, so sort of an incremental backup (although it needs manually running). I think I'll try this and just remember to run it every time I add/update my iphoto library. I'm also backing the library up separately

sooo, should I buy my 27" imac today or should I wait after wwdc? I'm really tired of my slow santa rosa macbook pro. (and is the base model of the 27" powerful enough to run portal 2 on OS X on max?)

Top Bottom