• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Nyrad

Hello Mac-GAF

A few hours ago i bought a used late 09 unibody macbook. It seems pretty nice and works just fine. It cost me 450 euros.

There came an adapter with the macbook but i didn't ask the guy what it's used for. Maybe Mac-GAF can help me out?

Here's the Picture:

BvT4K.jpg

As you guys see it has an ethernet slot, an vga slot on the right side and one thats unknown to me on the left.

Additional Question: Can anyone recommend me a good PDF Reader for my new macbook?

rezuth

Nyrad said:
Hello Mac-GAF

A few hours ago i bought a used late 09 unibody macbook. It seems pretty nice and works just fine. It cost me 450 euros.

There came an adapter with the macbook but i didn't ask the guy what it's used for. Maybe Mac-GAF can help me out?

Here's the Picture:

BvT4K.jpg

As you guys see it has an ethernet slot, an vga slot on the right side and one thats unknown to me on the left.

Additional Question: Can anyone recommend me a good PDF Reader for my new macbook?
Looks like some kind of alternative dock perhaps?

I personally just use preview and thats fine enough for me. I don't know if you need any fancy features for your PDF readers.

hirokazu

cooljeanius said:
So did anyone else get a notice about 10.6.8 from Software Update today? If anyone's installed it, has anyone noticed any differences?
It's a maintenance update. Nothing on the user front unless you skipped the last security update.

cooljeanius said:
So did anyone else get a notice about 10.6.8 from Software Update today? If anyone's installed it, has anyone noticed any differences?
I'm finding my 2011 running cooler overall

Otherwise, nothing obvious.

Alright, someone help a Mac noob out.

So I have this file in my downloads folder and I can't move or delete it. If I try to open it, it says" this application cannot be found." I'm only able to see the file when I expand my downloads icon in the doc.

Anyone know how to get rid of this? It's going to drive me insane if I cant.

Jasoco

Banned
-htownplaya- said:
Alright, someone help a Mac noob out.

So I have this file in my downloads folder and I can't move or delete it. If I try to open it, it says" this application cannot be found." I'm only able to see the file when I expand my downloads icon in the doc.

Anyone know how to get rid of this? It's going to drive me insane if I cant.
What's the file name?

Also, isn't the girl in your avatar the same girl that's in Topher's avatar?

Jasoco said:
What's the file name?

Also, isn't the girl in your avatar the same girl that's in Topher's avatar?

File is named, M_tQ_y_y.exe.part No idea how it got there, what it is, or anything.

And yeah, same girl.

EDIT: Restarted and now the file is gone.

Jasoco

Banned
-htownplaya- said:
File is named, M_tQ_y_y.exe.part No idea how it got there, what it is, or anything.

And yeah, same girl.

EDIT: Restarted and now the file is gone.
It's probably from your browser. And since its an EXE it was a malicious site trying to trick your PC into installing malware, but since A) you are on OS X and B) the site didn't finish it before it was canceled, it wouldn't work anyway. I believe Chrome append's .part to downloading files as does Transmission and possibly other browsers. You couldn't open it because it wasn't downloaded completely.... and because it was an EXE anyway.

Muskweeto

Can anyone here recommend a good program for mac that acts like FRAPS for Windows? Free or paid is fine, I just want whatever works the best.

Thanks.

Muskweeto said:
Can anyone here recommend a good program for mac that acts like FRAPS for Windows? Free or paid is fine, I just want whatever works the best.

Thanks.
Screenflow is fantastic. Used it for a year now with no trouble.

Muskweeto

thewesker said:
Screenflow is fantastic. Used it for a year now with no trouble.
$99.99!? Wow, that's pricey. I don't know if I want to shell out that much cash for desktop recording software, FRAPS was $29.99 or maybe $39.99, can't remember.
I'm just a casual user of such a program so $100 is quite a bit, but thanks for the reply.

rezuth

Muskweeto said:

Thanks.
Screenflow is awesome but if you just need something basic you can record using Quicktime X

Nyrad

rezuth said:
Looks like some kind of alternative dock perhaps?

I personally just use preview and thats fine enough for me. I don't know if you need any fancy features for your PDF readers.

BvT4K.jpg

This could be an alternative Dock? Hmmm..! I google-picture searched 2+ for apple adapters without any new clues. This thing is probably totally useless for me but i'm still curious ;D

Muskweeto

rezuth said:
Screenflow is awesome but if you just need something basic you can record using Quicktime X
I'll check that out when I'm at my computer next, thanks.

I know I said I wanted the best, I just didn't realize how expensive they could be.

ramyeon

Asking here in case anyone knows if this is not just a beta problem. I installed iTunes 10.5 Beta 2 and any new songs that I add to my library cannot be edited (Everything is grey as if it were read only) or deleted. The files themselves are not read only and as far as I can tell the permissions are all set correctly. Has anyone else had this problem before with this beta or any other versions of iTunes?

glaurung

ramyeon said:
Asking here in case anyone knows if this is not just a beta problem. I installed iTunes 10.5 Beta 2 and any new songs that I add to my library cannot be edited (Everything is grey as if it were read only) or deleted. The files themselves are not read only and as far as I can tell the permissions are all set correctly. Has anyone else had this problem before with this beta or any other versions of iTunes?
Could be the case wherein the songs are somehow attached to another iTunes user account (purchased music).

You need to somehow authorize the songs/albums for the new iTunes version then.

Nyrad said:
http://i.imgur.com/BvT4K.jpg
This could be an alternative Dock? Hmmm..! I google-picture searched 2+ for apple adapters without any new clues. This thing is probably totally useless for me but i'm still curious ;D

What's the metal jack on the left of the picture? USB or Mini-DVI or ...?

I too suspect it's a docking station. I know that both USB to 10/100 ethernet and USB to VGA adaptors exist so it's conceivable you could have both in one unit.

ramyeon

glaurung said:
Could be the case wherein the songs are somehow attached to another iTunes user account (purchased music).

You need to somehow authorize the songs/albums for the new iTunes version then.
No, these aren't songs purchased through iTunes. I've never had a problem like this. When I repair permissions through disk utility it makes the songs I've added to iTunes editable, but then any new songs I add aren't and I need to run repair permissions for every lot of songs I import :/

Nyrad

CrudeDiatribe said:
What's the metal jack on the left of the picture? USB or Mini-DVI or ...?

I too suspect it's a docking station. I know that both USB to 10/100 ethernet and USB to VGA adaptors exist so it's conceivable you could have both in one unit.

It's neither mini dvi nor usb nor mini hdmi.. i've never seen a port like that. and my macbook definitly has no open slot for it. but is has a magnet right besides this mysterious port.

edit: a closer look

MEVf2.jpg

Recon

Banned
Anyone of a recommendation for a MP3 tagging program? I was using the trial for The Tagger and i really liked it, but i cant justify $30 for that kind of program.

Muskweeto

Just wanted to say that Hazel is an awesome program.

Also, I believe the name might have been inspired by the old sitcom of the same name about a housekeeper named Hazel.

hirokazu

Anyone know in why situations the firmware password gets disabled? Does it disable it if you select a different disk in Startup Disk?

I have one set as part of my anti-theft implementation, but there's been two occasions now in as many months where the password is no longer active when I boot with Option held down.

I suspect it may be because I've changed Startup Disk in System Preferences, but I can't be sure.

WTF is this shit, what's the point if it's not reliably enabled at all times, or at least tell us in what circumstances the system may disable it so we know! D:<

I need some help with Mail and IMAP accounts.

I get my work email routed to my Mail.app program on my Mac via IMAP, which works perfectly fine for my Gmail and another email account.

But my work email is acting up: Essentially it receives emails, but doesn't mark them as "you haven't read this", it seems like it only marks them as unread for a short window of time, afterwards they turn into read emails without I have seen them.

For work it's getting really annoying, since I've missed some important stuff here and there.

Is there some sort of setup structure to IMAP and Mail that needs to be set in a certain way to avoid this problem, or is it at my work email the problem would be located at?

Muskweeto

This may seem like a stupid question but I've only had a mac for about a month.

Does the mac come with a program similar to Paint on windows, or is there a free app for doing simple pixel drawing? All I really want to do is recreate my avatar with Gaf's native resolution.

Muskweeto said:

Does the mac come with a program similar to Paint on windows, or is there a free app for doing simple pixel drawing? All I really want to do is recreate my avatar with Gaf's native resolution.
It doesn't, but you can resize/crop images using Preview. If you want something that's free and a bit more advanced (ie. an actual image editor) there's Seashore.

Muskweeto said:

Does the mac come with a program similar to Paint on windows, or is there a free app for doing simple pixel drawing?

Not a stupid question, there isn't such a program included. A quick search turned up Paintbrush.

Muskweeto

Thanks to both of you, I ended up going with paintbrush for its simplicity because I probably won't be using it more than a few times.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wondering if someone can help me. I'm working from home lately, connecting via VPN to my work machine (which is running XP). The VPN connects fine, and using RDP over the VPN works fast too - but connecting to my shares on my machine via SMB is painfully slow to use. The first listing of files takes up to a minute, and going into a folder, even if it contains just a few files, takes a minute or so each time. I've searched and found all sorts of fixes involving terminal commands and editing of /etc/smb.conf files but none have seemed to help.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this issue? From what I understand it's a well known Snow Leopard thing - my Leopard machine seems to have none of the delays - but surely there has to be a fix! Without one, this laptop becomes pretty useless to me. I'm gonna be contracting remotely on a permanent basis soon.

Tr4nce

Can you help me please, GAF?

A while ago, I burnt a CD, because I had just finished a track of mine at the time, and I wanted to burn it to CD. However, ever since I did that, there's this map in my Finder with the CD map or something still showing (rik kiers - a hatt full of sky). It's the map with the nuclear looking symbol to it. No matter what I try or do, it doesn't go away. Dragging, dragging it to the bin, pressing backspace on it. What's the deal?

4h5cph.png
[/IMG]

meppi

Tr4nce said:
Can you help me please, GAF?

A while ago, I burnt a CD, because I had just finished a track of mine at the time, and I wanted to burn it to CD. However, ever since I did that, there's this map in my Finder with the CD map or something still showing (rik kiers - a hatt full of sky). It's the map with the nuclear looking symbol to it. No matter what I try or do, it doesn't go away. Dragging, dragging it to the bin, pressing backspace on it. What's the deal?

4h5cph.png
[/IMG]

If you right click the folder and select "get info" does the locked tap appear to be checked?
If so, uncheck it, close the info bar and drag it from the list to remove it.

Tr4nce

meppi said:
If you right click the folder and select "get info" does the locked tap appear to be checked?
If so, uncheck it, close the info bar and drag it from the list to remove it.

Hey thanks for the quick reply man. Ehm, I can't even right click on it. Well, I can, but it doesn't higlight the tab. Left clicking also doesn't do anything. Weird shit.

Chuckpebble

Yeah, at some point they changed the behavior of the items in the side bar. Could be from an update, or just a subtle difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Its been so long since I removed something from there. You used to be able to just drag items out of the side bar to get rid of them in a poof of smoke. But now you can only right click them to get rid of them.

meppi

Tr4nce said:
Hey thanks for the quick reply man. Ehm, I can't even right click on it. Well, I can, but it doesn't higlight the tab. Left clicking also doesn't do anything. Weird shit.
No problem. ;)

ctrl+click doesn't work either?

Edit:
Might work by holding cmd while dragging it away from the sidebar, but I'm not sure.
That still works for regular items though.
I think the regular drag to delete was removed to prevent accidental removal of files which tended to happen once in a while.

Tr4nce

meppi said:
No problem. ;)

ctrl+click doesn't work either?

Edit:
Might work by holding cmd while dragging it away from the sidebar, but I'm not sure.
That still works for regular items though.
I think the regular drag to delete was removed to prevent accidental removal of files which tended to happen once in a while.

CMD + Drag worked! Hehe, it was starting to annoy me. Recently I burnt another CD, and I didn't have the same problems. Thanks again buddy!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
who here archives their time capsule? Just wondering if its an unnecessary step? I currently back mine up whenever I remember to, but its annoying because it only archives if there is free space, and my drive is too small to hold two at a time, so I have to delete one first which is kind of not good from a backup PoV.

So I'm either going to buy a bigger drive, or just not bother. I already have my docs backed up via dropbox, and my MBP is cloned on another drive stored offsite so I think I'm covered?

meppi

Tr4nce said:
CMD + Drag worked! Hehe, it was starting to annoy me. Recently I burnt another CD, and I didn't have the same problems. Thanks again buddy!

Glad I could help. :)

Not really much of an expert myself as I've only had my Macbook Pro for 3 years now and feel like I still can learn a great deal about hidden options and things that others probably take for granted.
Watched the whole WWDC yesterday evening in bed and I'm amazed by the new things Lion and iOS 5 will bring to the table. :)
Gonna be picking up my first iPod Touch soon.

About Time Capsule.
I don't really archive my Time Capsule stuff, although I do have 3 different external HDDs to back up all the scans I work on since they take up a lot of space in PSD format and I certainly don't want to lose those.
As well as backups of all the media stuff that I watch, just in case.
It's also very convenient to plug the drive into a PS3 and watch it on the big screen.

Tend to use Time Capsule pretty much only for what's intended for.
To restore accidentally deleted files or to get an older version back of a file I did some work on.

I need a new Mail program. I'm fed up with Mail.app. It has this annoying tendency to put legit emails in my Junk folder, even when I've set up rules to prevent that. It doesn't mark them as Junk, it just throws them in there. It's taking too much time to constantly keep checking and sorting this stuff out. Help/Suggestions?

Why does iMovie only let me import movies directly from my camcorder and not from the files I've backed up from the camcorder? Seems a bit silly that I can't go to my library of videos to edit a video.

Jasoco

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Why does iMovie only let me import movies directly from my camcorder and not from the files I've backed up from the camcorder? Seems a bit silly that I can't go to my library of videos to edit a video.
Have you tried importing? File > Import > Movies... ? It works for me.

Jasoco said:
What format are they?

MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVCHD MTS files. It's a Sony Camcorder, and it's the same format that Panasonic uses too. I find it odd that iMovie doesn't support the top two camcorder manufacturer file formats unless I'm missing something. It would seem silly that the only way to get them in is to hook up the camera but that to me implies that iMovie can handle the video format.

Jasoco

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVCHD MTS files. It's a Sony Camcorder, and it's the same format that Panasonic uses too. I find it odd that iMovie doesn't support the top two camcorder manufacturer file formats unless I'm missing something. It would seem silly that the only way to get them in is to hook up the camera but that to me implies that iMovie can handle the video format.
I dunno. But you could try converting them with Handbrake as a last resort. Do you ever need to move them back onto the camera?

Jasoco said:
I dunno. But you could try converting them with Handbrake as a last resort. Do you ever need to move them back onto the camera?

I don't think I'd ever need to move them back to the camera, but maybe there are presentation features that might be a reason I would move them back on occaision. Seems convoluted to have to convert with another program just to use iMovie. Maybe I should look for a better software solution. It's my first time really trying out iMovie but I'm really surprised that as pro-Consumer Apple is, that this isn't easier to deal with. It would suck to have to convert files all the time and have two copies around since I want to at least preserve the raw 60p video rather than keeping a converted one around as my only source.

Are there any other OSX programs that are worth checking out?

Jasoco

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I don't think I'd ever need to move them back to the camera, but maybe there are presentation features that might be a reason I would move them back on occaision. Seems convoluted to have to convert with another program just to use iMovie. Maybe I should look for a better software solution. It's my first time really trying out iMovie but I'm really surprised that as pro-Consumer Apple is, that this isn't easier to deal with. It would suck to have to convert files all the time and have two copies around since I want to at least preserve the raw 60p video rather than keeping a converted one around as my only source.

Are there any other OSX programs that are worth checking out?
The way I see it, they probably assume a consumer is going to simply import the video into iMovie from the beginning and delete it from the camera keeping it in iMovie only. You could try putting your video back on the camera then import it so iMovie converts it and stores it as an event, then delete its backup and remove it from the camera relying only on iMovie in the future for archiving the video.

Top Bottom