• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco said:
The way I see it, they probably assume a consumer is going to simply import the video into iMovie from the beginning and delete it from the camera keeping it in iMovie only. You could try putting your video back on the camera then import it so iMovie converts it and stores it as an event, then delete its backup and remove it from the camera relying only on iMovie in the future for archiving the video.

The problem with that is the conversion seems to make it 30 fps, or at least the preview. That's fine if I'm cutting something up to share on Facebook, but I don't want to lose the 60p data so relying on iMovie to convert and store my video is not an option if I want to maintain the quality.

Even if what you say is true, that still doesn't make sense why they would let you import video files but exclude those video files. The fact that they have an import file option implies they don't mind you doing it that way.

Jasoco

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
The problem with that is the conversion seems to make it 30 fps, or at least the preview. That's fine if I'm cutting something up to share on Facebook, but I don't want to lose the 60p data so relying on iMovie to convert and store my video is not an option if I want to maintain the quality.

Even if what you say is true, that still doesn't make sense why they would let you import video files but exclude those video files. The fact that they have an import file option implies they don't mind you doing it that way.
If you're that professional, you should find something other than iMovie then. What's your budget? Have you considered FCP?

So what are the chances of Apple letting us completely turn off mouse acceleration in OS X? I've resorted to pretty much only using Win7 on my iMac except for audio production because I just cannot stand the obnoxious way the mouse handles when I boot up OS X.

I know there are some ways to allegedly temporarily remove it, but I haven't had any luck in getting those to work thus far.

Jasoco said:
If you're that professional, you should find something other than iMovie then. What's your budget? Have you considered FCP?

I didn't realize wanting to maintain the 60 fps data was being professional. It just looks better and I don't want to lose the data because it's something you can never get back if you get rid of it. I already have iMovie and I hear people rave about it so I was giving it a shot now that I had a reason and a chance to mess with some family videos.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
TyrantGuardian said:
So what are the chances of Apple letting us completely turn off mouse acceleration in OS X? I've resorted to pretty much only using Win7 on my iMac except for audio production because I just cannot stand the obnoxious way the mouse handles when I boot up OS X.

I know there are some ways to allegedly temporarily remove it, but I haven't had any luck in getting those to work thus far.
I've tried everything - Logitech drivers, Steermouse, USB Overdrive... none of them really work. I'm doing my job remotely at the moment, dealing a lot with Windows shares (which Snow Leopard also has massive issues with) so I chose to Boot Camp Windows onto mine too. Just easier. I actually far prefer it for Photoshop and Illustrator - the mouse in Illustrator on OSX is horrible.

Doomboy

Neo Member
So I posted this question on the Apple support forums but didn't get any good answers, so I'm hoping someone on GAF could help me out...

I have a Late 2007 MacBook (3,1) and I've always been interested in the multi-touch gestures featured in the later models, such as using 3 and 4-finger dragging or inertia scrolling, and my interest has risen even greater with the prominent use of them in OS X Lion. So I was wondering whether it is possible to use these multi-touch gestures if I bought a Magic Trackpad. Would these 3 and 4 finger gestures now work with my MacBook using the Magic Trackpad, or is it just impossible to access these functions without upgrading to a later Mac model? I have 10.6.6 currently, so I assume that I already have that Magic Trackpad and Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.0 installed. Thanks in advance.

TL;DR Do the multi-touch features of the Magic Trackpad work on older MacBook models?

I hope someone could give me an educated answer?

Blackhead

Redarse
Doomboy said:
So I posted this question on the Apple support forums but didn't get any good answers, so I'm hoping someone on GAF could help me out...

TL;DR Do the multi-touch features of the Magic Trackpad work on older MacBook models?

I hope someone could give me an educated answer?
yes, i got one myself last year when i had 3,1 MacBook pro. I placed it over the laptop's trackpad and, after jumping through some hoops, it worked out okay

bud

i've been using the macbook mc516 for a couple of months now and i feel like it's slower than the one i'd been using before it, which was bought in 2005, iirc. i'm seeing the spinning rainbow icon way too often.

i've performed all of the updates. it's running on 10.6.8, has a 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo and 2gb ddr3 ram.

is there anything i can do to make it run faster? safari, for instance, is using 150mb of memory right now. is that normal? what's the best alternative?

Doomboy

Neo Member
Greyface said:
yes, i got one myself last year when i had 3,1 MacBook pro. I placed it over the laptop's trackpad and, after jumping through some hoops, it worked out okay

Are the 'hoops' just trying to get it to completely replace the trackpad on your MacBook so it is effectively built in to the laptop? I don't mind about it being external and just connected wirelessly with Bluetooth... All I want are those 3 and 4-finger gestures.

Tobor

Posted this in the Lion thread, but it makes more sense over here.

My dad just purchased a 21" iMac, and the only problem he has is that the text is too small in a lot of apps. Will high dpi mode in Lion help with this? If not, how do I make the text larger system wide?

Blackhead

Redarse
Doomboy said:
Are the 'hoops' just trying to get it to completely replace the trackpad on your MacBook so it is effectively built in to the laptop? I don't mind about it being external and just connected wirelessly with Bluetooth... All I want are those 3 and 4-finger gestures.
yeah, that was a big 'problem'. The other issue was that the Magic trackpad provides a different experience to the trackpads on the laptops and it takes some getting used to, especially if you've been using the laptops for a long time. It's not a big deal, it'll work out okay.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Greyface said:
yeah, that was a big 'problem'. The other issue was that the Magic trackpad provides a different experience to the trackpads on the laptops and it takes some getting used to, especially if you've been using the laptops for a long time. It's not a big deal, it'll work out okay.

From playing around with them at Apple Stores in the past I can say that I do prefer the larger area for your fingers to touch, so hopefully I will be fine.
But returning to the point, just to clarify, the 3 and 4 finger gestures work out of the box?

golem

TyrantGuardian said:

Have you tried MouseZoom?

http://benh57.com/mousezoom.html

Battlezone said:
I need a new Mail program. I'm fed up with Mail.app. It has this annoying tendency to put legit emails in my Junk folder, even when I've set up rules to prevent that. It doesn't mark them as Junk, it just throws them in there. It's taking too much time to constantly keep checking and sorting this stuff out. Help/Suggestions?

Anyone?

ZZMitch

So I have been playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 on my new 15inch MBP and it gets pretty hot. I am guessing this is normal, but is it bad for the computer? Should I be looking into ways to cool it down or something?

hirokazu

Tobor said:
Posted this in the Lion thread, but it makes more sense over here.

My dad just purchased a 21" iMac, and the only problem he has is that the text is too small in a lot of apps. Will high dpi mode in Lion help with this? If not, how do I make the text larger system wide?
You probably want to look at Accessibility in System Preferences. Otherwise, there's a defaults command that can force scaling for resolution independence although there are a lot of display bugs.

I recommend the Secrets preference pane. Look it up.

golem said:

That didn't work at all. The only thing it did was allow me to increase my max mouse speed to insane levels. Such a shame since I honestly prefer the general look of OS X over Windows 7, would really like to be using it more. The acceleration even hinders my work in Logic because I regularly end up misclicking stuff :/

TyrantGuardian said:
That didn't work at all. The only thing it did was allow me to increase my max mouse speed to insane levels. Such a shame since I honestly prefer the general look of OS X over Windows 7, would really like to be using it more. The acceleration even hinders my work in Logic because I regularly end up misclicking stuff :/
http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/

Worked for me. =)

Edit: Hm apparently it resets on reboot & has problems with some games.

Edit 2:

Did you try putting this in the terminal:

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1
? It works perfectly for me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So I was using Maya the other day and I decided I would download the VRay demo and try doing some rendering in that. I DL it and it's an .exe file. WTF I had to double check that I was getting it from the actual developer and not a phishing site lol.

Turns out you can run certain .exe files under terminal after you have enabled "superuser" or root permissions.

That's my Mac noob story if the day... And I've been using one since 2003 :p

Jasoco

Banned
I can't stand Windows horrible mouse movement. I switched in 2000 with absolutely no problem and no notice of the difference until someone mentioned it, now I can't stand Windows' acceleration. Thankfully I only encounter Windows in Parallels, which maps Windows mouse placement to OS X's acceleration.

Treefingers said:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/

Worked for me. =)

Edit: Hm apparently it resets on reboot & has problems with some games.

Edit 2:

Did you try putting this in the terminal:

? It works perfectly for me.

The first fix worked perfectly for me! Games are no problem since I do my gaming on Win7, but this will definitely help out a lot when I'm working with audio. Bookmarked that page, thank you <3

I can't stand Windows horrible mouse movement. I switched in 2000 with absolutely no problem and no notice of the difference until someone mentioned it, now I can't stand Windows' acceleration. Thankfully I only encounter Windows in Parallels, which maps Windows mouse placement to OS X's acceleration.

But unlike OS X, Windows actually lets you turn acceleration off completely with the correct settings, at which point it simply takes the raw input from your mouse and/or drivers, which is completely fantastic for us with high-DPI gaming mice. The only problems I have with mouse movement in Windows is when bad games force custom mouse settings.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Quick question:

I'm planning on deleting my Windows XP partition and will be installing Windows 7 instead. So I was wondering if I delete the Windows XP parition from my Mac, will it completely wipe my HD, or will it merge the "free space" back into my Mac Parition?

Thanks!

glaurung

Liquid_015 said:
Quick question:

I'm planning on deleting my Windows XP partition and will be installing Windows 7 instead. So I was wondering if I delete the Windows XP parition from my Mac, will it completely wipe my HD, or will it merge the "free space" back into my Mac Parition?

Thanks!
It is doubtful that the disk utility automatically expands the primary OS partition to fill the empty space.

When you delete a partition, the space remains as unallocated space, i.e. unusable space until formatted for use again. You can then choose either to expand some other partition onto that space or reformat as a dedicated data partition etc.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
glaurung said:
It is doubtful that the disk utility automatically expands the primary OS partition to fill the empty space.

When you delete a partition, the space remains as unallocated space, i.e. unusable space until formatted for use again. You can then choose either to expand some other partition onto that space or reformat as a dedicated data partition etc.

So how might I be able to merge the free space back into my OSX partition?

Burger

Battlezone said:

I use Sparrow. I think it's wonderful. It was for Gmail only but I think it supports generic imap/pop accounts now.

It's on the App Store, and it's worth the asking price in my opinion.

btkadams

does anybody know if my new macbook pro (just ordered) could run starcraft 2 at full settings? my old mbp that broke this weekend could only play it on the lowest settings and would chug during really intense moments online. also, would it be able to play portal 2 decently? i guess this is directed at owners of the recent refresh model.

it has:
- AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
- 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache
- 8gb RAM

btkadams said:
does anybody know if my new macbook pro (just ordered) could run starcraft 2 at full settings? my old mbp that broke this weekend could only play it on the lowest settings and would chug during really intense moments online. also, would it be able to play portal 2 decently? i guess this is directed at owners of the recent refresh model.

it has:
- AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
- 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache
- 8gb RAM
Yes, it can.

I hope you didn't buy Apple's ram. 8GB of ram is $50 right now at Newegg. Also, you could have saved money on the GPU too. the cost you paid for that extra .1GHz is money thrown away unless you have a very specific need.

I wish you had asked us earlier. We could have helped you save some tangible coin. But yes, you'll run SCII at Max. I run it on a similar system (17" @ 1920x1200) at max.

btkadams

Dreams-Visions said:
Yes, it can.

I hope you didn't buy Apple's ram. 8GB of ram is $50 right now at Newegg. Also, you could have saved money on the GPU too. the cost you paid for that extra .1GHz is money thrown away unless you have a very specific need.

I wish you had asked us earlier.
i did buy it through apple but oh well. i need it asap because i dj so i didn't want to bother ordering other parts from other places and having to install them. i now know to check in with the thread first though so thanks. it was kind of impulse since it broke this weekend.

edit: i'm also in canada though and i've heard newegg.ca doesn't have nearly the amount of sweet deals that the american one has, but i may have been misinformed.

btkadams said:
i did buy it through apple but oh well. i need it asap because i dj so i didn't want to bother ordering other parts from other places and having to install them. i now know to check in with the thread first though so thanks. it was kind of impulse since it broke this weekend.

edit: i'm also in canada though and i've heard newegg.ca doesn't have nearly the amount of sweet deals that the american one has, but i may have been misinformed.
ha. understood.

but yes, have fun with your new device. we'll be ready with app recommendations if this is your first Mac!

btkadams

Dreams-Visions said:
ha. understood.

but yes, have fun with your new device. we'll be ready with app recommendations if this is your first Mac!
it's actually not my first so i will have the usual recommended apps (appzapper, perian, etc.). i'll probably have questions though since my old macbook pro was quite old. thanks!

does anything actually use thunderbolt yet, aside from that really expensive multi-bay enclosure on the apple site?

btkadams said:
does anything actually use thunderbolt yet, aside from that really expensive multi-bay enclosure on the apple site?
nobody yet. the thunderbolt cables *just* came out (from Apple). No 3rd party cables and no interesting peripherals yet.

btkadams

Dreams-Visions said:
nobody yet. the thunderbolt cables *just* came out (from Apple). No 3rd party cables and no interesting peripherals yet.
that's what i figured. i really hope they do something with the next iphone/ipods and have the connection be thunderbolt (optional so others aren't screwed of course). it would be really awesome to transfer movies/music/photos at faster speeds.

btkadams

new question. what does this turboboost stuff with the cpu actually mean? does it literally overclock the cpu as much as it says? it seems like marketing fluff.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
cacophony said:
Where can I get a longer Macbook Pro charger cable? The one that came with it is like 4 feet long and really inconvenient.

It comes with a different one. Where the outlet tongs snap out on the power brick, that whole piece is removable, and there should be a longer, thick wire that fits.

cacophony

SnakeXs said:
It comes with a different tone. Where the outlet tongs snap out on the power brick, that whole piece is removable, and there should be a longer, thick wire that fits.

oh shit, I was wondering what that was for. I didn't know you could remove that piece. Thanks.

scola said:
Turns out you can run certain .exe files under terminal after you have enabled "superuser" or root permissions.

The only time I've seen .exes that work on the Mac (or Linux) is when some Windows dev compiles a command line .c programme on the target platform and names the output binary 'foo.exe' instead of 'foo'.

Muskweeto

I don't have a question but I just wanted to say that after having a Mac for a couple months I'm loving it. Everything just... Works. Even things like emulators just seem to be made to work without having to tinker with too many settings.

Krelian

CrudeDiatribe said:
The only time I've seen .exes that work on the Mac (or Linux) is when some Windows dev compiles a command line .c programme on the target platform and names the output binary 'foo.exe' instead of 'foo'.
That and I think Mono programs use the .exe extension. I doubt it's actually a Windows exectuable that's running on a Mac.

Jasoco

Banned
Krelian said:
That and I think Mono programs use the .exe extension. I doubt it's actually a Windows exectuable that's running on a Mac.
It's not. Some apps that are cross-platform will keep the file names the same as the Windows version just for simplicities sake. I don't think you'd even be able to interchange them if you took one of the Windows ones over to OS X or vice versa. The binary inside is still applicable to the OS, it just has a Windows file name.

Feel free to try though. I mean, how cool would it be if we had actual Universal binaries that included both the Windows and Mac executables in one file. It wouldn't work though since Mac apps are actually folders with a bunch of files inside including the executable binary and libraries in one place whereas Windows apps are usually just the executable and all the libraries are outside of the EXE.

Personally, I prefer the Mac method. Much more portable.

So for some reason my Downloads stack is displaying items in it in reverse order, starting with the oldest, instead of the correct way for sorting by "Date Added." I've tried removing the stack and messing with the Dock context menu, but I haven't been able to fix it yet.
Also, Console will randomly stop logging occasionally. I've tried killing syslogd in Activity Monitor, but that usually just gives me a single message saying:
"7/5/11 8:27:21 PM kernel Warning: audit space low (< 5% free)on audit log file-system"
I've also tried deleting log files and trying to find where the audit log file-system is kept, but I haven't had much luck. It did start working temporarily when I ran auditreduce from /usr/sbin, but then when I started messing around in /var/audit, it stopped working again.
Any help for either of these?

Top Bottom