• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Blackhead

Redarse
Meus Renaissance said:
I've been trying to get a job at an electronics retail store that sell Apple products, which are quite popular in terms of drawing in customers. Often you'll get someone who isn't IT savvy asking questions about the Macs and that's fairly simple to deal with. But sometimes you'll get someone who is a frequent computer user who enquires about the Macs and asks the inevitable 'why a Mac over Windows'? It's fine having conversations and debates about it on forums, but how do you sell a person a Mac over a PC in a retail store?
Apple - Why You’ll Love a Mac - A Mac is the ultimate upgrade. https://www.apple.com/why-mac/

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I want to switch to Safari from Chrome but there are two little things I'd like to be able to change if anyone knows any extensions or things I can download?

1) I want a unified address/search bar like in Chrome.

2) I want the tab bar to be at the top like it was in Safari 4 and is in Chrome.

I've Googled but can't find anything and there are literally only a dozen extensions on Apple's site.

oatmeal

Banned
cjelly said:
I want to switch to Safari from Chrome but there are two little things I'd like to be able to change if anyone knows any extensions or things I can download?

2) I want the tab bar to be at the top like it was in Safari 4 and is in Chrome.

I've Googled but can't find anything and there are literally only a dozen extensions on Apple's site.

I'd love 1)

Jasoco

Banned
Nope. Neither exist. Safari isn't as flexible. #1 would require a hack or SIMBL plugin and 2, well, nope. Not gonna happen. Those two would require deep hacks into the program.

Why do you want to switch? Chrome is fast becoming more and more like Safari on the Lion side in the Canary versions.

btkadams

cjelly said:

oatmeal said:
I'd love 1)
https://github.com/rs/SafariOmnibar????

Jasoco

Banned
Well, hey. That's really nice. But as I suspected, it needed to be installed. Guessing it's a SIMBL plugin or something.

btkadams

Jasoco said:
Well, hey. That's really nice. But as I suspected, it needed to be installed. Guessing it's a SIMBL plugin or something.
you were/are correct! "Safari Omnibar is a Safari SIMBL plugin aiming at mimicing the Chrome's smart location bar which combines location and search."

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
Yeah. There are like half a dozen ways to do Fullscreen. Lion's is the most logical, but games don't use it. Most of the time they take over the computer and don't let any access to the OS unless they give up control first. Which most don't. For instance, Minecraft when put into Fullscreen takes over completely, overriding anything the OS tries to grab. No Command+Tab. No minimize. You have to leave it to get back. This is bad because it completely disregards any stability the OS might have since you have no way to force quit it if it starts acting up.

Another Fullscreen mode is one that changes the resolution of the display first. I hate these too.

Lion's is genius. Since you can keep the app fullscreen and switch away from it without quitting it. If only games took advantage of it and were set up to pause themselves when they lose focus.
This, I really wish certain apps (such as games) could have integrated backwards compatible full screen support. How hard could that be really, when the game is only a single unified fs window?

cjelly said:
Thanks for the link! Works great.

Now I just need tabs at the top!
Yeah, I emailed Steve Jobs about this, still waiting for a response....

Blackhead

Redarse
Sentry said:
Yeah, I emailed Steve Jobs about this, still waiting for a response....
Dude, Steve Jobs has retired. I'm waiting for the first email from Tim Cook replying to an email sent to Steve Jobs so we can all move on.

noah111

Still Alive
I sent it to pre-retirement Jobs. And seriously, will Cook be answering emails as Steve did? That was a pretty awesome thing to do imo, however useless it may have been.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sentry said:
I sent it to pre-retirement Jobs. And seriously, will Cook be answering emails as Steve did? That was a pretty awesome thing to do imo, however useless it may have been.
Well Jobs is still the chairman so he might decide to still be involved as the public face of the company—giving keynotes, replying emails, posting up those letters on the website. Someone has to take over that role though, it's the only outlet in an otherwise taciturn company. The easiest to start the transition would be to reply an email.

What am I missing here? 0.1Ghz is £200 extra? 4GB of RAM £160 extra?

jbgYYwjx0ZjI4C.png

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Meus: the processor looks like a typo, but unfortunately that RAM price is real. 2x4GB of DDR3 at that speed should only set you back $60 at your preferred computer parts store.

what product line are you looking at?

scorcho said:
Meus: the processor looks like a typo, but unfortunately that RAM price is real. 2x4GB of DDR3 at that speed should only set you back $60 at your preferred computer parts store.

what product line are you looking at?

I was looking at the second 15inch model (2.2Ghz). It also offers a CPU upgrade for the 17inch model. It isn't a typo because it's the same for the US site. I called a local Apple store and they confirmed the prices. When I asked the reasons for the price bump, she couldn't answer - and who could blame her.

When I looked at the Apple website for things like RAM sticks, they sell e.g. 2GB 667MHz DDR2 (PC2-5300) - 1x2GB SO-DIMM for £80. You can get that for £20 in electronics stores. It seems they quadruple the price, considering that they marked 4GB DDR3 for £160.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
yeah, just checked the Macbook prices myself. there's no reason for that i7 'upgrade' to be priced as such. perhaps if it were the non-hyperthreaded i5 to the i7, then the price would be more reasonable.

FWIW, i have the 15" 2.2 i5 and have no complaints about the processor speed at all.

Never buy RAM from Apple.

As for the CPU upgrade, it's not as unreasonable as the RAM prices given the price difference in the chips.

I wouldn't bother with it, though. It's not much of a difference.

Barrett2

Thinking about upgrading my new Macbook Pro 13" to 8gb of ram. Questions:

- Looking on Newegg, how do I know what ram is compatible with my model? Do I have to get something that says "1333MHz," for example?
- Is there an appreciable difference in quality between a $50 and $60 card?
- Is it difficult to install if i've never done it before?

edgefusion

Hey guys I'm in urgent need of help. I just installed a new Momentus XT drive into my 2009 unibody MacBook Pro (15") but upon trying to install OS X it doesn't show up. There is absolutely no recognition of the new drive whatsoever. What gives? Have I been sold a dud drive?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
need help syncing my iPad. I'd previously synced it months ago with my MBP. Since then I've sold the MBP. I want to sync my iPad on my mac mini, ready for iOS 5 wifi sync.

But there are a ton of apps I've bought, along with save games that I don't want to lose. My mac mini is telling me I'll lose all those apps and they'll get replaced by the apps on my mini.

how do I transfer the apps from the iPad to the mini first? Its not prompting me to transfer purchases when I check 'sync apps', and I especially don't want to lose save games as my kids have some extensive tiny tower etc games going on.

Doomboy

Neo Member
mrklaw said:
need help syncing my iPad. I'd previously synced it months ago with my MBP. Since then I've sold the MBP. I want to sync my iPad on my mac mini, ready for iOS 5 wifi sync.

But there are a ton of apps I've bought, along with save games that I don't want to lose. My mac mini is telling me I'll lose all those apps and they'll get replaced by the apps on my mini.

how do I transfer the apps from the iPad to the mini first? Its not prompting me to transfer purchases when I check 'sync apps', and I especially don't want to lose save games as my kids have some extensive tiny tower etc games going on.
I hate how syncing works and I don't trust myself in fear that I may delete everything on my iPod BUT -
I believe that if you right-click on the iPad in the sidebar in iTunes and press 'Transfer Purchases' that should do what you want and you'll be free to update/sync your iPad without iTunes deleting all the apps... Hopefully. I'm too scared to try again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doomboy said:
I hate how syncing works and I don't trust myself in fear that I may delete everything on my iPod BUT -
I believe that if you right-click on the iPad in the sidebar in iTunes and press 'Transfer Purchases' that should do what you want and you'll be free to update/sync your iPad without iTunes deleting all the apps... Hopefully. I'm too scared to try again.

thanks, that seems to be doing something. There is also a 'backup' which is surprising as it doesn't have a relationship with that computer yet, so just in case it all goes wrong that'll help. Still have the inevitable problem of setting up a new relationship and all my careful organisation being lost - it'll just spunk all the apps across about 10 screens..

Its especially frustrating as the iPad is so self-sufficient, but then you get situations like this where its reliant on the computer.

edgefusion

edgefusion said:
Hey guys I'm in urgent need of help. I just installed a new Momentus XT drive into my 2009 unibody MacBook Pro (15") but upon trying to install OS X it doesn't show up. There is absolutely no recognition of the new drive whatsoever. What gives? Have I been sold a dud drive?

Just a quick update in case anyone tries to help me. I've solved the problem, it turns out i'm too much of a bonehead to realise the drive needed formatting before I could put OS X on it. Well duh. I felt right stupid when it dawned on me.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Just ordered a Macbook Pro, my first Mac. What do I need to know? What are the best programs for basic operations? Is there a handy beginner's guide anyway?

Thanks!

Doomboy

Neo Member
mrklaw said:
Its especially frustrating as the iPad is so self-sufficient, but then you get situations like this where its reliant on the computer.

Yeah, I'm not going to try and sync or update my iPod until iOS 5 is officially out, then if all goes well my iPod and Mac will never have to go near each other again, thanks to Apple making sure you don't need a computer at all to make any alterations on your iOS devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
vcassano1 said:
Just ordered a Macbook Pro, my first Mac. What do I need to know? What are the best programs for basic operations? Is there a handy beginner's guide anyway?

Thanks!
If only there were a thread for people in your situation.

TUSR

Banned
lawblob said:
Thinking about upgrading my new Macbook Pro 13" to 8gb of ram. Questions:

- Looking on Newegg, how do I know what ram is compatible with my model? Do I have to get something that says "1333MHz," for example?
- Is there an appreciable difference in quality between a $50 and $60 card?
- Is it difficult to install if i've never done it before?
there is more to ram then its size/speed, I suggest you search the internet for some more information.

In the new MBP, I don't think its difficult.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Unibody-Model-A1278-Teardown/589/2

Ram is 12th step.

Noob question. I got my macbook pro in May and have been deleting all sorts of files by simply recycling and emptying the trash bin. Someone mentioned to me that I should delete all my files by going to finder < secure empty trash. Is that how all the mac "pros" do it?

Note: These are files I have no interest in recovering.

edgefusion

-htownplaya- said:
Noob question. I got my macbook pro in May and have been deleting all sorts of files by simply recycling and emptying the trash bin. Someone mentioned to me that I should delete all my files by going to finder < secure empty trash. Is that how all the mac "pros" do it?

Note: These are files I have no interest in recovering.

Secure empty completely erases the data. It's only useful for sensitive information you don't want anyone to get, ever. Personally I've never used it and I expect it's the same for most.

jts

...hate me...
I'm trying to work on google sketchup here, and it's a bit shitty with the trackpad to pan and orbit.

Anybody knows of nice BTT settings for that?

jts said:
I'm trying to work on google sketchup here, and it's a bit shitty with the trackpad to pan and orbit.

Anybody knows of nice BTT settings for that?
Just get a mouse. I got a cheap 3-button Logitech mouse for like $10 and it's been pretty useful for 3D stuff (games etc.) I still use the trackpad for most other stuff though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doomboy said:
Yeah, I'm not going to try and sync or update my iPod until iOS 5 is officially out, then if all goes well my iPod and Mac will never have to go near each other again, thanks to Apple making sure you don't need a computer at all to make any alterations on your iOS devices.
Until they bloody let me download podcasts automatically via wifi, I still need to sync. That's why I switched to my mini, ready for wifi sync. Purely for podcasts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Treefingers said:
Get Instacast man, it's worth it.

Does it download into the music library so the standard iPod player can access it? I mostly listen in the car and my car kit won't work with most 3rd party players - it automatically kicks in the iPod playback. So I can play back podcasts via the podcast genre, but the music needs to be in iPod library.

ericexpo

recently got a hold of a old desktop PC from work. How can I network my mac and pc so i can see everything on the pc when on the mac and vise verse.

Topher said:
Why is there a document icon next the search bar in finder? I click it and it's a document I created a couple of days ago.

F4SEp.png
You probably dragged it there by accident. Right-click (or however you do it) to bring up the contextual menu and select "Remove Item"

mrklaw said:
Does it download into the music library so the standard iPod player can access it? I mostly listen in the car and my car kit won't work with most 3rd party players - it automatically kicks in the iPod playback. So I can play back podcasts via the podcast genre, but the music needs to be in iPod library.
Ah, unfortunately no it does not.

Does the Apple Store clean or replace keyboards on a MacBook? Some of my keys are all mushy when I click them, and I doubt that's grounds to exchange it although I'm within warranty.

Leona Lewis said:
Does the Apple Store clean or replace keyboards on a MacBook? Some of my keys are all mushy when I click them, and I doubt that's grounds to exchange it although I'm within warranty.
I doubt that would come under warranty, but I'm sure they'd replace it...for a fee.

JayDub

I have always seen this as the official "Mac/OS X" thread so I'm just going to post this here.

It was late 2008 and my GF wanted a new laptop. The Macbook Pro had just been announced and she was trying to decide between the MBP or any Windows laptop. I had just bought myself a MBP myself but it wasn't the newly re-designed unibody. Of course I felt like a schmuck. "I should've waited!" So I sold my then 3 month old laptop for the newly re-designed unibody. How did I validate my decision?

Well, first, the magnetic lid mechanism/latch. I had a 17" Powerbook, and after that, the 15 inch MBP. Both were pre-unibody. And the one thing I always disliked was the lid latch. It would always hold down the middle of the lid but the sides of the lid wouldn't be as flush. Giving the impression that the middle was being "pulled down". It looked uneven and I was worried about flex on the body. The latch itself would also degrade over time and require multiple "pushes" to release or atleast, a hard push.

Second, the actual aluminum body. Pre-unibody, the aluminum wasn't very strong. I would rest my palm or arm beside the trackpad and overtime, the aluminum above the superdrive would sink in. Eventually, the superdrive would have a hard time ejecting the disk. This was on the 17" Powerbook as the superdrive is facing the front.

Third, the trackpad. Pre-unibody glass trackpad, the trackpad was like any other trackpad on any other laptop. So it would degrade the same way as well (shiny, glossy after a while, hard to use..etc). Plus, no multitouch.

I thought to myself, "Well the new unibody MBPs fix all of this. It should last me forever!"

Anyway, my gf decided on a high spec Windows laptop and I went with the newly released late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro. She spent 1500 compared to my 2200 for the 15" MBP. In her words, "Your laptop has worse specs. You're just paying 700 more for the Apple tax. I made the smarter decision."

Going on 3 years now, and my MBP is going strong as ever. It's truly amazing. The trackpad looks brand new. It's still silky smooth. And the multitouch gestures for Expose made my GF jealous from DAY ONE. The aluminum body is strong and sturdy, no scratches and no dents or "weak spots." When the lid closes, the whole lid is flushed with the body. OS X has never crashed, I never had to defrag, run Spybot, or run any anti-virus software. The most I ever had to do in regards to maintenance was clear the cache on my Safari. 2 finger scrolling is so useful and so is 3 finger left and right to go "Back" and "Forward" in Safari/Finder.

My now ex-GF (now friends)'s laptop was 2 years old before she "had" to replace it. It takes forever to boot, and when it does, its slow as hell. She has to do all kinds of "maintenance" and scans to make sure her laptop runs "optimally". The glossy finish of the laptop's exterior got a ton of scratches and micro scratches (neither of us cared for cases). It looks like a black car after 2 years of use. Her trackpad looks like she went to KFC and slathered a chicken breast over it and left it there for 3 days. The glossy finish also gives the trackpad a grippy texture and makes navigating with the trackpad a chore. It never was (even new) as silky smooth as my Macbook's, and it lacked multitouch. She was using a mouse after 6 months of having it.

She bought a 13" Macbook Pro a year and she loves it. But, here's the thing: Her Windows laptop cost her 1500. Add the cost of the Macbook Pro and she has spent 2700+ for her laptops while I'm still cruising on mines 3 years going.

Thats just the most amazing thing: The new unibody MBPs are so easy to live with, and are so durable. I love them. It might be lower spec then the competition. Haters might like to hate on Apple for being Apple. But that "Apple tax" comes right back to us in value, durability, ease of use..etc etc. Its one of the few "luxury" items that I can validate it's extra cost.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I WAS about to sale my MBP before all this hit me.

mrkgoo

JayDub said:
I have always seen this as the official "Mac/OS X" thread so I'm just going to post this here.

It was late 2008 and my GF wanted a new laptop. The Macbook Pro had just been announced and she was trying to decide between the MBP or any Windows laptop. I had just bought myself a MBP myself but it wasn't the newly re-designed unibody. Of course I felt like a schmuck. "I should've waited!" So I sold my then 3 month old laptop for the newly re-designed unibody. How did I validate my decision?

Well, first, the magnetic lid mechanism/latch. I had a 17" Powerbook, and after that, the 15 inch MBP. Both were pre-unibody. And the one thing I always disliked was the lid latch. It would always hold down the middle of the lid but the sides of the lid wouldn't be as flush. Giving the impression that the middle was being "pulled down". It looked uneven and I was worried about flex on the body. The latch itself would also degrade over time and require multiple "pushes" to release or atleast, a hard push.

Second, the actual aluminum body. Pre-unibody, the aluminum wasn't very strong. I would rest my palm or arm beside the trackpad and overtime, the aluminum above the superdrive would sink in. Eventually, the superdrive would have a hard time ejecting the disk. This was on the 17" Powerbook as the superdrive is facing the front.

Third, the trackpad. Pre-unibody glass trackpad, the trackpad was like any other trackpad on any other laptop. So it would degrade the same way as well (shiny, glossy after a while, hard to use..etc). Plus, no multitouch.

I thought to myself, "Well the new unibody MBPs fix all of this. It should last me forever!"

Anyway, my gf decided on a high spec Windows laptop and I went with the newly released late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro. She spent 1500 compared to my 2200 for the 15" MBP. In her words, "Your laptop has worse specs. You're just paying 700 more for the Apple tax. I made the smarter decision."

Going on 3 years now, and my MBP is going strong as ever. It's truly amazing. The trackpad looks brand new. It's still silky smooth. And the multitouch gestures for Expose made my GF jealous from DAY ONE. The aluminum body is strong and sturdy, no scratches and no dents or "weak spots." When the lid closes, the whole lid is flushed with the body. OS X has never crashed, I never had to defrag, run Spybot, or run any anti-virus software. The most I ever had to do in regards to maintenance was clear the cache on my Safari. 2 finger scrolling is so useful and so is 3 finger left and right to go "Back" and "Forward" in Safari/Finder.

My now ex-GF (now friends)'s laptop was 2 years old before she "had" to replace it. It takes forever to boot, and when it does, its slow as hell. She has to do all kinds of "maintenance" and scans to make sure her laptop runs "optimally". The glossy finish of the laptop's exterior got a ton of scratches and micro scratches (neither of us cared for cases). It looks like a black car after 2 years of use. Her trackpad looks like she went to KFC and slathered a chicken breast over it and left it there for 3 days. The glossy finish also gives the trackpad a grippy texture and makes navigating with the trackpad a chore. It never was (even new) as silky smooth as my Macbook's, and it lacked multitouch. She was using a mouse after 6 months of having it.

She bought a 13" Macbook Pro a year and she loves it. But, here's the thing: Her Windows laptop cost her 1500. Add the cost of the Macbook Pro and she has spent 2700+ for her laptops while I'm still cruising on mines 3 years going.

Thats just the most amazing thing: The new unibody MBPs are so easy to live with, and are so durable. I love them. It might be lower spec then the competition. Haters might like to hate on Apple for being Apple. But that "Apple tax" comes right back to us in value, durability, ease of use..etc etc. Its one of the few "luxury" items that I can validate it's extra cost.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I WAS about to sale my MBP before all this hit me.

Neat story.

I bought a 15" early 2008 MacBook Pro, the last of the classics.

And yup, I get all of the issues you mentioned. My case saws at one point warped (I bent it back over my knee, lol), one bad knock and I sagged the SuperDrive slot. Hd to bend it back with a screw driver. Shiny as heck trackpad.

But you know what? Over three years on, and I still love it. sure I'd love a new one, but this one has such an awesomely classic look. It,s starting to show signs of age as it doesn't meld with lion all that well, but it still does most of what I need it for.

Sarcasm

I like OSX as much as next guy but saying my X out lasted Y is pointless and moot.

*** my 7 year old 15" dell laptop still runs flawlessly and can play fallout. Its even being handed down the family tree. Really needs a new battery though.

Top Bottom