• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

noah111

Still Alive
Guys, see this combination to switch between tabs in Safari:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb383/antony_williams/bydefault2011-12-11at113220-1.jpg[IMG]

What button is the ^ arrow? Only one that seems to be it is SHIFT+6 but it's not the one.....[/QUOTE]

Wherever you see that widened ^ arrow, they mean the control key. Alt or that \ looking thing is option obviously (alt's written on the key too) and the swirly four leaf clover looking thing is command.

for the first time since owning this macbook (1 year), I had a it lock up on me completely and I had to power it off manually and restart it. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come

also: with Safari is there anyway to reinstall it completely? because I can't find a way to get rid of this unified address/google search bar (similar to what google chrome has), that I installed a while back. Someone recommended omnibar uninstaller, but it didn't do anything

daw840

Do these MBPs have a key that is analogous to the "home" key on a PC? I figured out space bar is page down but haven't figured out "home" yet.

Do these MBPs have a key that is analogous to the "home" key on a PC? I figured out space bar is page down but haven't figured out "home" yet.

'Home' on a Mac is 'top-of-page', 'End' is 'bottom-of-page'. fn-left and fn-right do that on a Mac with a narrow keyboard (page up and down are fn-up and fn-down). For beginning/end of line, any Mac app that uses the Cocoa framework uses the Unix-standard ctrl-a and ctrl-e to jump to the previous/next newline character, and cmd-left and cmd-right jump to the start of the line of text, but wrap dependant. Quote my post and try it on this paragraph.

noah111

Still Alive
Will someone be kind enough to do me a huge favor. I want to use this wifi player app on my iPhone (allows sharing/streaming videos from mac to iPhone locally), but you need to DL specific software.

Problem is, here in syria, for some reason I just can't access their website and download the 2mb .dmg file to get the application on my MBP. I've looked everywhere for mirrors, but no luck.

Can someone PLEASE go the the following link and download the Mac version (it's only like 2mb), and then upload it somewhere for me or just email me it as an extension?

Please, really need this. So frustrating to be blocked from random web content.

[EDIT] Forgot the fucking link *facepalm* here it is; http://www.vikisoft.com/AirPlayerServer.php

If I want to have windows 7 on an iMac (programs and websites I need to use won't work with Mac) should I use boot camp or this program called VM fusion, which launched windows without having to restart the computer

If I want to have windows 7 on an iMac (programs and websites I need to use won't work with Mac) should I use boot camp or this program called VM fusion, which launched windows without having to restart the computer
The performance will be worse if you're using VMware or any virtual machine software but unless you plan on watching HD videos or playing games VMware would be a good option if you want to have quick access to a Windows installation.

Personally though I would recommend Parallels instead of VMware, it runs better from my experience.

PS. Nice to see a fellow CloudApp user. Ballin service.
Right on brother

The performance will be worse if you're using VMware or any virtual machine software but unless you plan on watching HD videos or playing games VMware would be a good option if you want to have quick access to a Windows installation.

Personally though I would recommend Parallels instead of VMware, it runs better from my experience.

Right on brother

Is parallels more similar to boot camp or VM fusion?

Is parallels more similar to boot camp or VM fusion?
Parallels does the same thing as VMware Fusion. They have some differences in terms of features but yeah.

Also you could make a Boot Camp partition and use VMware or Parallels to boot it inside OS X. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Parallels does the same thing as VMware Fusion. They have some differences in terms of features but yeah.

I plan on downloading windows 7 electronically, would I download parrallels first then download and install windows 7? Or should I download it first then install 7 after I have parrallels running on the iMac

Thanks for the help

Jasoco

Banned
Parallels 7 actually has a link to BUY WINDOWS right from within the program. So install Parallels first.

ibzU4FlqOuL978.PNG

I plan on downloading windows 7 electronically, would I download parrallels first then download and install windows 7? Or should I download it first then install 7 after I have parrallels running on the iMac

Thanks for the help
You could either download & install Windows 7 via Boot Camp and then install Parallels and run your Windows partition through there, or you could download Windows 7, install Parallels, run Parallels and install Windows 7 as a virtual partition from there. If you don't plan on booting directly into Windows 7 I would recommend the second option.

Edit:
Parallels 7 actually has a link to BUY WINDOWS right from within the program. So install Parallels first.
Damn that's pretty cool! They even have a link to the Windows 8 preview.

I don't understand boot camp and partitioning. So let's say you have 1TB of space, you would designate say 500GB to windows 7?

And I want to DL without parrallels because I get it 1/2 off through my hospital work

Jasoco

Banned
I don't understand boot camp and partitioning. So let's say you have 1TB of space, you would designate say 500GB to windows 7?

And I want to DL without parrallels because I get it 1/2 off through my hospital work
No, you dedicate however much space you think you'll actually need for Windows. Personally, I would use 25GB to start for myself because I only use it for a few small games. And I only have 128GB of space. But if you have 1TB, go ahead and use however much you will need.

No, you dedicate however much space you think you'll actually need for Windows. Personally, I would use 25GB to start for myself because I only use it for a few small games. And I only have 128GB of space. But if you have 1TB, go ahead and use however much you will need.

So one last question about this, for now at least, while using boot camp, when you are using the mac you would select an option which would restart the computer and it would launch as a windows 7 pc? Then to go back to Mac you would select an option while on windows to restart the computer as a Mac?

So one last question about this, for now at least, while using boot camp, when you are using the mac you would select an option which would restart the computer and it would launch as a windows 7 pc? Then to go back to Mac you would select an option while on windows to restart the computer as a Mac?
Yep. You can also hold the Alt/Option key on your keyboard while your computer boots up to open a screen that lets you choose which OS you want to open.

Blackhead

Redarse
I went with VMWare first because it supports the standard Mac OSX drag&drop uninstall whereas Parallels installs a bunch of custom kernel crap that requires their own uninstaller.

Milly79

Is Lubbo the only fan control for Windows under bootcamp? I've tried using it and at first it was giving me a .dll error which I corrected. Now it's saying something else and won't boot. W7 gets the fans going pretty good just idling until it cools off.

Krelian

On the topic of Parallels vs VMWare I had some bad experiences with Parallels before but not with VMWare. Parallels once fucked up my Windows installation so that I couldn't install some .NET software. I don't remember the details, but it was a pain to set it straight again. Also my Parallels installation didn't survive my update to Lion whereas VMWare did. So yeah, my vote goes to VMWare any time now.

Chris R

Has anyone tried to use Parallels to run Steam on the '11 13" i5 MBA? Not to play any beastly games, just indie like games. Some of my library does work in OSX, but shit is just broken in some of the games, and others only run on Windows.

Chris R

I'll say that Super Meat Boy runs kind of playable but not 100%. LIMBO runs fine enough to work.

In Parallels though right? Did you create a partition on your SSD? How much space does it take up?

I'm running at ~77GB free, so I'm thinking that 40GB might be enough for Windows and Steam. And yea, SMB was one of the games I was thinking of playing (along with other humble bundle games).

Blackhead

Redarse
Which data? OS X data or Virtual Machine data? Because I've had no problem with Parallels.

boot camp data, virtual machine data and it didn't uninstall properly from my computer. It was years back, the problems are probably fixed, I'm just can't be bothered to switch as long as VMWare is stable.

Jasoco

Banned
In Parallels though right? Did you create a partition on your SSD? How much space does it take up?

I'm running at ~77GB free, so I'm thinking that 40GB might be enough for Windows and Steam. And yea, SMB was one of the games I was thinking of playing (along with other humble bundle games).
I haven't installed Windows into Bootcamp on my Air yet because I don't have a Flash Drive to use for installation so it's installed into a Virtual Machine. When I do use BootCamp, I will probably do either 30 or 35GB for Windows. 128 really is small when you get down to it. My next machine will have 256 at least.

Jasoco

Banned
Make sure the key isn't actually stuck. Try carefully lifting them to see if either one has anything stuck under them.

Did you try rebooting.

Did you install anything recently that runs in the background.

So I plan on selling my Mac Mini in the coming week. Is there anything I should keep in mind to remove any unwanted data or Apple accounts? Also is it pretty simple to reinstall the OS for the new owner?

Copy your stuff onto some other device, if you haven't already. Boot off install media and open Disk Utility. Find the section to erase/repartition your drive, and go into the security options to zero-out the drive one or more times instead of just creating a new partition table.

Give the buyer the install media that came with the Mac and let them put whatever newer OS release they want on it. You could re-install the newest OS you have access to to help them out, but if you want to go by the EULA, you should only do that if they have a copy or you're including your copy with the Mac. I think. IANAL, etc.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So I just updated to Lion and I am having some font issues with chrome..

Never mind!

For some reason the default fonts got mixed up in chrome. Fixed it.
:)

noah111

Still Alive
Alfred has been updated to version 1.0!! So much shit in the change log, DLing now but it's gonna take a while to see what they've updated. Big thing seems to be global hotkeys.

Though for some reason I have to relicense my power pack, this is a pain in the ass. [EDIT] All good now, but I had to re-do my custom gray scaling of the icons;

[before]
aVw19.png

[after]
T3rN6.png

EmCat.png

The purple is just fucking hideous for those menus. I don't mind them for other stuff, but damn it's ugly. They should allow customization of that instead of me having to edit all the resource files...

Barrett2

So yesterday I ran a few weeks worth of updates, and since then any time my MBP wakes up from sleep, I have to restart my modem to connect to wifi again. Any ideas?

FerranMG

Alfred has been updated to version 1.0!! So much shit in the change log, DLing now but it's gonna take a while to see what they've updated. Big thing seems to be global hotkeys.

Though for some reason I have to relicense my power pack, this is a pain in the ass. [EDIT] All good now, but I had to re-do my custom gray scaling of the icons;

The purple is just fucking hideous for those menus. I don't mind them for other stuff, but damn it's ugly. They should allow customization of that instead of me having to edit all the resource files...

Can you (or anyone, for all that matters) list the top 5 things that are awesome and that you can do with Alfred?
I just recently got it, but I feel it has a lot of potential I'm not using. Actually, I just use it as a Spotlight replacement. And I discovered last weekend that it also works as a calculator! It's so handy.

BTW, power pack yes or no?

noah111

Still Alive
Can you (or anyone, for all that matters) list the top 5 things that are awesome and that you can do with Alfred?
I just recently got it, but I feel it has a lot of potential I'm not using. Actually, I just use it as a Spotlight replacement. And I discovered last weekend that it also works as a calculator! It's so handy.

BTW, power pack yes or no?
Yes to the power pack, you can make nice transparent themes like this;

clean_for_alfred_by_sentry15-d487q1u.png

Though tbh i'm not sure what features (extensions?) are limited to power pack or not, since I don't remember what i was/wasn't able to use before i got the power pack.

Some awesome things I do with my alfred extensions:
adding reminders to my iphone/ical straight from alfred (I type 'reminder [content]' and then press enter, simple)
music player to quickly find artists, play random tracks etc
connect to wolfram alpha using an extension so I can just type anything from currency conversions to metric conversions to distances between planets etc
tweeting/posting to facebook from alfred using an extension
word counter extension when writing essays in textedit
search my specific libraries of content (comics, tv shows, movies etc) without getting them all jumbled up
clipboard history, this is a huge one for me as it allows me to get rid of using a dedicated app to do this.
googling picturing things instantly (or just plain googling).

Those are basically some things off the top of my head. You need to get used to it and accustomed though, and it becomes awesome.
Also pick an intuitive hotkey that's right for you personally. I use double tap alt to bring it up personally.

Ashhong

So yesterday I ran a few weeks worth of updates, and since then any time my MBP wakes up from sleep, I have to restart my modem to connect to wifi again. Any ideas?

I had a similar issue where my MBP wasn't remembering my home Wifi. I just went to the menu, made the MBP forget the wifi, and reselected it. Worked for me

Barrett2

I had a similar issue where my MBP wasn't remembering my home Wifi. I just went to the menu, made the MBP forget the wifi, and reselected it. Worked for me

I'll try that. But man, I just had another weird thing. All the sudden my MBP totally froze. Can't move the cursor. I closed the lid, put it to sleep, opened lid, it woke up after a long delay, now the screen is frozen, I can't move the cursor, but once every 30 seconds the cursor either randomly moves to a different point on the screen, or goes into Mission Control view. Keystrokes do nothing.

Anyone else's MB jacked after the latest updates? This has me worried.

I should also note that when I did the software updates yesterday it made a loud, sustained beeping noise when restarting. Never heard it before.

Edit: Hard reset worked. Is there any kind of diagnostic I could run to see if there are any programs or downloads or something potentially causing issues, or is it just jacked because of the latest update?

Ashhong

Alright guys, so I went and got a 64gb SSD drive that I am planning on putting into my MBP in place of the Super Drive. What is the best way I should set it up? Should I install the OS and all apps into that, and keep all regular files like videos and music on my regular harddrive?

I also have bootcamp but I dont use it much so I will probably keep that on my regular harddrive, as my SSD is only 64gb. Or do you guys recommend I put bootcamp on the SSD as well?

Now my next question is what is the best way for me to set this up? Should I just start my SSD fresh, or should I clear out all the junk on my regular HD and do like a clone copy or Time Machine backup to the SSD? Thanks for the advice

X-Frame

I just recently discovered Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes located here (link)

I downloaded about 15 of them, most which will save me tons of time.

Does anyone use these and have their favorites?

Jasoco

Banned
Alright guys, so I went and got a 64gb SSD drive that I am planning on putting into my MBP in place of the Super Drive. What is the best way I should set it up? Should I install the OS and all apps into that, and keep all regular files like videos and music on my regular harddrive?

I also have bootcamp but I dont use it much so I will probably keep that on my regular harddrive, as my SSD is only 64gb. Or do you guys recommend I put bootcamp on the SSD as well?

Now my next question is what is the best way for me to set this up? Should I just start my SSD fresh, or should I clear out all the junk on my regular HD and do like a clone copy or Time Machine backup to the SSD? Thanks for the advice

Yes. 64GB will be fine for your OS and apps. Use the SSD as your boot drive and the HDD as extra everything else. Basically put anything that needs to be loaded a lot on the SSD. Applications, the OS, all your settings. Everything else will be fine on the other HDD. Music, photos, etc won't matter as much for loading speed as the SSD will be.

Do you have a backup right now? A clone of your current data? If so, I would boot onto the HDD, use CCC to clone every folder from the HDD onto the SSD but uncheck every folder in your User folder except the Library. If you have an iPhoto library or iMovie folders in your Movies folder and if you have the room, your Music Library, I'd keep them checked too and leave those on the drive. The iMovie stuff can be moved off the drive later if you have to. iPhoto can also load a library from elsewhere, but for now I'd make sure it's in place before getting into the moving of stuff.

How much stuff do you have on the HDD? I assume more than the 64GB. Will be best to have a clone handy so you can just format the HDD after cloning or installing the system to the SSD. You'll basically want to make sure the OS is installed, the user logs in and things like iPhoto, iMovie and iTunes load and work correctly before moving their stuff off the SSD.

I've never had to go down to a smaller drive before. You could prepare by moving as much off the HDD as you can to a temporary hard drive until your HDD's contents get smaller than 64GB (Minus enough space for your virtual memory and sleep images, then clone the slimmed down HDD to the SSD, boot onto the SSD and move the stuff you removed back from the temporary storage to the newly reformatted HDD.

Always remember, never reformat until you're sure all your data is safely duplicated elsewhere.

Top Bottom