• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Garou

Considering moving to Safari instead of Chrome as my main browser. Are the various Chrome NeoGAF extensions not available on Safari?

And more broadly, what are the advantages (if any) of using Safari over Chrome?

Advantages:
-Safari-bookmarks and History in System-wide Spotlight
-Cover-flow for History
-Fulltext-search across all pages in History (!!!)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
You might as well be using IE9.

It's slower than Chrome, far less extensible and is updated less frequently. It does have the best HW-acceleration on the platform, but again, see IE9. That doesn't really add up to much at this point.

Barrett2

You might as well be using IE9.

It's slower than Chrome, far less extensible and is updated less frequently. It does have the best HW-acceleration on the platform, but again, see IE9. That doesn't really add up to much at this point.

How much slower than Chrome is the typical browsing experience?

Hmm, it looks like it won't let me download and install any of the GAF extensions. My Safari experiment might be over before it begins.

giga

I use Safari over Chrome because:

1. Simple keyboard shortcuts to my bookmarks bar (cmd+1, cmd+2, etc)
2. There's no real alternative to ClickToFlash (the built in Chrome one doesn't do nearly as much)

I want to switch but these two things always make me go back.

I use Safari over Chrome because:

1. Simple keyboard shortcuts to my bookmarks bar (cmd+1, cmd+2, etc)
2. There's no real alternative to ClickToFlash (the built in Chrome one doesn't do nearly as much)

I want to switch but these two things always make me go back.

and it just feels more "at home" on the mac, I find. also, on every decent machine I have used so far it felt lightning fast.

The only things I can't stand about Chrome is the way it handles History and the Downloads tab. I don't want to have to navigate to a tab to properly view my History and Downloads.

Also, how you can't tell what a tab is when you have too many open.

The only things I can't stand about Chrome is the way it handles History and the Downloads tab. I don't want to have to navigate to a tab to properly view my History and Downloads.
What's the functional difference between a window / sidebar opening and a tab opening? You still have something opening and you still have to close the thing when you're done, just as you close the tab. The only difference is the tab gives more room to show downloads & history.

What's the functional difference between a window / sidebar opening and a tab opening? You still have something opening and you still have to close the thing when you're done, just as you close the tab. The only difference is the tab gives more room to show downloads & history.

It doesn't automatically open for me. Should it? I have to go to Window -> Downloads -> I trust this file, download it. Every single time.

The question isn't window/sidebar vs. tab, it's menu vs. tab.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I can say about Safari is that, since getting a MacBook Air in the house a few weeks ago, I haven't been tempted to install any other browsers yet.

I may download Chrome or something else down the line, but Safari works perfectly fine from my experience with it.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah Zefah, safari sucks ass in some things (performance occasionally) but i'm still using it a few months after I made the switch from chrome. The cleanness and in-line gestures just win it for me.

It doesn't automatically open for me. Should it? I have to go to Window -> Downloads -> I trust this file, download it. Every single time.
Well when you download something the bottom downloads bar pops up, which is essentially the equivalent of a downloads window popping up.

And yeah I forgot about the history menu. Personally I've never used it so I don't really miss it, but I can see the argument.

Sanjuro

I can't seem to find a solid answer. With a Windows based keyboard, is there a way to substitute the option key upon boot to get to the OS boot screen?

I believe it has something to do with the Apple keyboard firmware. Can't seem to find any other way than to select the option from the startup disk selection in the OS.

Willectro

Banned
Does anyone have experience with Apple support?

I have a 13" Early 2011 i5 MBP w/ Lion. I purchased directly from an Apple store about 8 months ago (I wish I had of tested this more while it was still returnable). I've become really unhappy with the fan/heat from this crapbook. Running any application that uses slightly above average resources cause the fan to speed right up and the bottom of the case to heat up as well. CPU temps at high as 95. Photoshop is out of the question, as are many other applications/flash/games. After taxes, this laptop cost me almost $1400 (CAD), and I just don't think this shit is acceptable. I'm going to take it in and let a "genius" take a look at it, but I don't believe this is a hardware malfunction because from what I've read this isn't just happening to me. I like the OS and the overall experience has been positive, but these issues are annoying me more every day. What are my options if any? Will Apple give me money back? Will they attempt to fix my crapbook?

Does anyone have experience with Apple support?

I have a 13" Early 2011 i5 MBP w/ Lion. I purchased directly from an Apple store about 8 months ago (I wish I had of tested this more while it was still returnable). I've become really unhappy with the fan/heat from this crapbook. Running any application that uses slightly above average resources cause the fan to speed right up and the bottom of the case to heat up as well. CPU temps at high as 95. Photoshop is out of the question, as are many other applications/flash/games. After taxes, this laptop cost me almost $1400 (CAD), and I just don't think this shit is acceptable. I'm going to take it in and let a "genius" take a look at it, but I don't believe this is a hardware malfunction because from what I've read this isn't just happening to me. I like the OS and the overall experience has been positive, but these issues are annoying me more every day. What are my options if any? Will Apple give me money back? Will they attempt to fix my crapbook?

They will not give you your money back.

Of course they will fix it.

Stop calling it crapbook, it makes you seem like a douchenozzle.

Use the right thread (Mac hardware).

Ok.
I doubt it because I think the culprit is this Sandy Bridge i5.
Ok.
My bad, but I am an OSX noob.

I am on a sandy bridge i5 macbook air here and I haven't heard a sound from it since I bought it. I am photoshopping on it at all times and I watch a lot of 1080p videos in flash.

don't worry, they'll fix it.

Yeah, no loud fans on my i7 MBA when using Photoshop. I can get it moving with some tasks, but it isn't obnoxious. 13" C2D MBP in the house works quietly as well.

Oppo

Safari and Chrome seem like exactly the same speed to me. And they are both webkit, after all.

Safari's Find function is not broken like Chrome's. I do like that. Also the page scrolling (page up/down) is smoother.

Oppo

I can't seem to find a solid answer. With a Windows based keyboard, is there a way to substitute the option key upon boot to get to the OS boot screen?

I believe it has something to do with the Apple keyboard firmware. Can't seem to find any other way than to select the option from the startup disk selection in the OS.

Just hold alt?

Not sure what you are trying to do. When I load into Windows via Boot Camp I hold option to get the boot menu, but that is a one-time setting. Just restart normally and you'll be back on OS X.

Sanjuro

Just hold alt?

Not sure what you are trying to do. When I load into Windows via Boot Camp I hold option to get the boot menu, but that is a one-time setting. Just restart normally and you'll be back on OS X.

Alt doesn't work. With many Windows keyboards it won't. I wasn't sure if there were alternate button combinations that might do the trick.

I have an Apple keyboard plugged in just to hold down the OPTION key...kinda don't want to have to do that.

LevelNth

Banned
Hey guys, I need the advice of GAFers who know more than me about Macbooks and computers in general, ie. most all of you. My 2009 13" Macbook's battery is gone deadski, and the REPLACE NOW MAN tag pops up when I click the battery icon. Rightly so, as not plugged in the sucker will last like 45 minutes.

So I need a new one, and the Apple Store version costs $160, more than I thought. I found this one on Amazon, and I was wondering, legit?

Can a TP battery damage my Macbook in any way? Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

see5harp

I actually use safari as my primary browser as well. Not much in the way of extensions but I don't really do much besides go to my favorites and use the reader feature for long articles. Scrolling and gestures do seem to be faster but I do agree that the actual rendering of a page can sometimes seem faster in Chrome. I also just prefer the look and feel of Safari in full screen.

Sanjuro

Hey guys, I need the advice of GAFers who know more than me about Macbooks and computers in general, ie. most all of you. My 2009 13" Macbook's battery is gone deadski, and the REPLACE NOW MAN tag pops up when I click the battery icon. Rightly so, as not plugged in the sucker will last like 45 minutes.

So I need a new one, and the Apple Store version costs $160, more than I thought. I found this one on Amazon, and I was wondering, legit?

Can a TP battery damage my Macbook in any way? Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

If you had a non-unibody MacBook, yes. The battery can enlarge and ruin your trackpad.

Use it until it dies in your model, but I've seen many people come in with generic batteries and chargers which never worked correctly.

subrock

Just ordered my first Mac to get into ios development. 13" 2.7ghz i7, and picked up 8gb ram for $35. Can't wait to join you Mac gaf

Jasoco

Banned

I'm guessing you don't have AppleCare?

Just upgraded my 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz MacBook Pro to 1600MHz RAM today from 1333MHz RAM. Both 8GB, with similar CAS Latency.

My results, before and after the upgrade:

zbSPC.png

Unfortunately, I forgot to do a 64-bit test before the upgrade, so I couldn't get the two best numbers.

HildyB

I've been having a problem with bootcamp. I started installing Windows 7 using the assistant and it needed to reformat the bootcamp partition to ntfs. Now I'm kind of stuck in Windows 7. Whenever I reboot I don't get the option to choose which OS. How can I get back to OSX?

Didn't see if you fixed this. Hold OPT key when booting to get the boot selector. Or in Windows, Bootcamp should have installed a little application which should be sitting in the system tray (gray diamond) that lets you boot right into OSX.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For those who have duel/triple/quadruple booted their Macs may I suggest rEFIt. Makes booting so much easier. The default graphics may be a bit ugly, but it is really easy to customise.

Ryck

Any way to get the little dialog on the bottom of windows that shows the amount of files in a folder back in Lion?

LevelNth

Banned
If you had a non-unibody MacBook, yes. The battery can enlarge and ruin your trackpad.

Use it until it dies in your model, but I've seen many people come in with generic batteries and chargers which never worked correctly.
I'm not totally following, are you saying that getting that battery is a bad idea aka. the enlarging?

Would you recommend against it?

Sanjuro

I'm not totally following, are you saying that getting that battery is a bad idea aka. the enlarging?

Would you recommend against it?

I'm talking about using the original battery until it is completely gonzo.

If you are looking for a battery solution now, the generic batteries and power cords always seem to give people nothing but problems. I see some of them come in every week or so.

All the Apple branded batteries are $129.99. Unfortunately with the unibody models they are going to hit you with the installation fee, hence the larger cost.

My parents brought their 4-year old black Macbook to the Apple Store a week ago and they changed their battery for free. Maybe it was just luck or the Christmas spirit, but sometimes that happens.

I've made a few observations since upgrading to Lion back in July. I only use Spotlight to launch apps now (I know it was in SL, but I took the opportunity to try something new with the upgrade). Secondly, I really like the inverted scrolling and I'm not sure I could back the other way now.

Jasoco

Banned
My parents brought their 4-year old black Macbook to the Apple Store a week ago and they changed their battery for free. Maybe it was just luck or the Christmas spirit, but sometimes that happens.
I think it all depends on your attitude, your story and the people working and the mood they're in. Apple CS can be really really good when all the right parts click. Just don't be an asshole and say "YOU OWE ME!" Explain the story. See how it goes. That's what I'd do.

Anyone know a trick on how to turn off iTunes tag entry prediction? I'm pretty fed up with fighting it.
You can't turn it off unfortunately. The best method I've found to avoid it replacing whatever you want to enter is to put a space in front of what you want to enter, then when you're done delete the space.

KtSlime

You can't turn it off unfortunately. The best method I've found to avoid it replacing whatever you want to enter is to put a space in front of what you want to enter, then when you're done delete the space.

Ah thanks, that seems a bit better than how I'd been doing it. I was putting a character at the end then changing the middle. I'll give your way a try. Wish Apple would just change it. worst. feature. ever.

Ah thanks, that seems a bit better than how I'd been doing it. I was putting a character at the end then changing the middle. I'll give your way a try. Wish Apple would just change it. worst. feature. ever.
I think there was one update where my Dad said they had removed it (at least in his version), but in the next one they had "fixed" it...

Jasoco

Banned
I'm currently looking for some software that records any on screen movement or while playing games. I've seen a ton but it's hard to get an idea of what I should actually bother purchasing since the reviews always seem to be inconsistent. Any suggestions would be great.
ScreenFlow is the only answer.

Top Bottom