• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

CTLance

MC Safety said:
Does anyone know of a good bulk image downloader for the Macintosh?
Please advise. And thanks.
I'd say downthemall for firefox should cover all your needs.

There's also Cocoawget, but eh... why bother.

Flo_Evans

hmm just discovered (well actually a co-worker gave me a tip) if you Control+click on the title bar of a document in say, photoshop or whatever, it will open a little pop-up menu that will open the containing folder!

nice!

Question though: Is there anyway to make finder remember the column you set it too? I have some folders with really long file names and its a bitch to stretch the window each time I open them.

MC Safety

CTLance said:
I'd say downthemall for firefox should cover all your needs.

There's also Cocoawget, but eh... why bother.

I have downthemall, but seem largely incompetent in its use.

For example, I go to downthemall and BAM! instead of downloading a series of images, I get links to HTML which when clicked take me to the images.

Is cocoawget more idiot proof?

Jasoco

Banned
I have no problems at all with DownloadThemAll. For me it couldn't work simpler. Did you make sure to use the Images tab instead of the Links tab?

MC Safety

Jasoco said:
I have no problems at all with DownloadThemAll. For me it couldn't work simpler. Did you make sure to use the Images tab instead of the Links tab?

Yeah, I've tried both. I feel suitably dumb, but when I try "images," it downloads pictures, but they're all thumbnails.

I have been looking for a program that alarms me every 20 minutes. When i use my Mac i want to be reminded every 20 minutes so i can get off my chair and do a bit of stretching

Can anyone help me? thanks

LCfiner

Starchasing said:
I have been looking for a program that alarms me every 20 minutes. When i use my Mac i want to be reminded every 20 minutes so i can get off my chair and do a bit of stretching

Can anyone help me? thanks

hmm, i can't find any free ones (only a 2 minute google search) but here's some shareware options with trial periods.

some of them have timers. not sure about auto repeating ones.

http://www.koingosw.com/products/alarmclockpro.php

http://www.robbiehanson.com/alarmclock/

http://embraceware.com/awaken/

http://metaquark.de/aurora/

there's also a free egg timer dashboard widget that you can set. but you need to enter dashbaord and click on it to get it to start up again after it goes off.

Jasoco

Banned
MC Safety said:
Yeah, I've tried both. I feel suitably dumb, but when I try "images," it downloads pictures, but they're all thumbnails.
What site? Because if it's not set up right you're not going to have much luck. If it's a page full of thumbnails, but each thumbnail links to a single page with a single image, you're out of luck unless you find something that is smart enough to follow the page and download the gooey nougatey picture inside.

reminder

MC Safety said:

Ok, i've downloaded this add on because i needed something like this, too. And it's awesome. Here is how i got it to work like you want:

For example, there is a gallery with 10 images and the URL's for the images are something like http://website.com/gallery/image1.jpg, http://website.com/gallery/image2.jpg and so on. Then right click at one image and click on "show graphic" or "show image" or something (don't know how it's called in english firefox ;) ), but you should see the picture and it's URL in the adress bar.

Right click on the image and click on "Save image with DownThemAll!". Now you can download the single image... or you can click on waiting queue and a new window shows up. Click on "Add URL" and another window pops up. Now you have the window you need. Go and change the link to http://website.com/gallery/image[1:10].jpg and proceed. It should download all 10 images at once.

It sounds much more complicated than it is, but believe me, it's awesome. I just downloaded 75 hi-res screens in 15 seconds or so. :D

Don't know how it's handled when the image URL's are random, though.

MC Safety

reminder said:
Ok, i've downloaded this add on because i needed something like this, too. And it's awesome. Here is how i got it to work like you want:

For example, there is a gallery with 10 images and the URL's for the images are something like http://website.com/gallery/image1.jpg, http://website.com/gallery/image2.jpg and so on. Then right click at one image and click on "show graphic" or "show image" or something (don't know how it's called in english firefox ;) ), but you should see the picture and it's URL in the adress bar.

Right click on the image and click on "Save image with DownThemAll!". Now you can download the single image... or you can click on waiting queue and a new window shows up. Click on "Add URL" and another window pops up. Now you have the window you need. Go and change the link to http://website.com/gallery/image[1:10].jpg and proceed. It should download all 10 images at once.

It sounds much more complicated than it is, but believe me, it's awesome. I just downloaded 75 hi-res screens in 15 seconds or so. :D

Don't know how it's handled when the image URL's are random, though.

Yeah, it seems downthemall doesn't work very well when the original site redirects to another and the image links are randomized. C'est la vie.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
okay. so i purchased creative suite from adobes website.. downloaded it. installed. now i want to back up the dmg file to a dvd. i am trying to use Disk Utility, but it is giving me issues. The dmg is 6.9 GB, and I inserted a DL disk that has 8.5 GB of space.. but disk utility says there is not enough space on the disk. :/

what can i do?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
quadriplegicjon said:
oh shit. when its mounted it's 8.64 GB .. how is that possible?? :lol oh well.. i'll just burn the dmg file directly.

DMGs are mystical amazing things. I've seen 15 meg DMGs extract like 55 megs worth of app. Madness.

Has anyone managed to get MSN working in iChat? I know there's a few 'hacks' out there, but I'm having trouble getting them to work. Anybody had better luck?

Edit* Think I've done it. Only problem is it re-sends a request to everyone. Fortunately I 'cleaned' up my IM contacts a while back. Still, life would be easier if everyone used AIM or GTalk :lol

Edit** Nope. Doesn't work. I'll just stick with Adium for now I guess

I've searched the thread so sorry if i have missed it.

What's the best cd/dvd burning software for a mac? I was going to get roxio toast, but every review tells me to not step anywhere near it, so I'm unsure what to get.

Jasoco

Banned
Killthee said:
I tried to open my MacBook the other day.

I got every screw but one out. The last screw wouldn't budge and started to strip.

FUCK doing it myself. I have to hope that the person who opens it up doesn't notice that I tried to do it myself. I could blame the last person who removed the topcase when I had it replaced under warranty last year.

I just hope the cost of a fan replacement isn't more than what AppleCare would have cost. :lol ($249)

I plan on selling this next year anyway when I can afford a new 13" MBP.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
midwestern_stylings said:
I've searched the thread so sorry if i have missed it.

What's the best cd/dvd burning software for a mac? I was going to get roxio toast, but every review tells me to not step anywhere near it, so I'm unsure what to get.

i would use Burn (posted by giga).. or a combination of the finder burn functions and the Disk Utility.. i have had so many issues with toast, its not even funny. the damn thing has created way too many coasters for me.

Jasoco said:

I got every screw but one out. The last screw wouldn't budge and started to strip.

FUCK doing it myself. I have to hope that the person who opens it up doesn't notice that I tried to do it myself. I could blame the last person who removed the topcase when I had it replaced under warranty last year.

I just hope the cost of a fan replacement isn't more than what AppleCare would have cost. :lol ($249)

Eh. I don't think I could ever get a 13" Macbook again. The screen real estate kills me. Currently running to my (too big, on the other hand), 40" LCD.

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, more questions:

-Is it possible to move through spaces by simply using the mouse/trackpad? I could've sworn there was a way to just move the cursor towards the four coordinates, for example, and the screen would switch to the next space. Or am I crazy?

-Anyone know where I can find Apple headphones for iPods the cheapest? Better yet, what are better quality alternatives for the same price or cheaper?

-What do you guys think of Apple Care? Having problems with my iMovie app (not working at all).

-Any suggestions on a quality webcam, for a decent price?

-Kimo

guise

I just discovered Plex.

Holy shit this thing is amazing (and free). I was a big fan of front row's simplicity but an inability to run network streams or HD content smoothly becomes really annoying after a while. So far Plex has handled everything i've thrown at it, even better then VLC and MPlayer Extended, and the interface is damn nice too.

guise said:
I just discovered Plex.

Holy shit this thing is amazing (and free). I was a big fan of front row's simplicity but an inability to run network streams or HD content smoothly becomes really annoying after a while. So far Plex has handled everything i've thrown at it, even better then VLC and MPlayer Extended, and the interface is damn nice too.

Have you ever tried Boxee?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Kimosabae said:
Okay, more questions:

-Is it possible to move through spaces by simply using the mouse/trackpad? I could've sworn there was a way to just move the cursor towards the four coordinates, for example, and the screen would switch to the next space. Or am I crazy?

-Anyone know where I can find Apple headphones for iPods the cheapest? Better yet, what are better quality alternatives for the same price or cheaper?

-What do you guys think of Apple Care? Having problems with my iMovie app (not working at all).

-Kimo
How old is your Mac? Webcams have been standard for a while now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kimosabae said:
Okay, more questions:

You can drag a window to another space by dragging it to the side and holding it there till you jump to the closest space. You can also jump spaces using a trackpad/mouse by enabling a Spaces hotcorner (Sys. Pref -> Expose & Spaces -> Expose).

9fd5.png

There's also a Spaces menu bar icon you can enable in the Spaces system preference.

Kimosabae said:
Okay, more questions:

-Kimo
1) Yes, in System Preferences.

From this point on, all of your questions make no sense to me.

2) Apple only sells regular iPod headphones and the premium in-ear headphones. So I don't know what you're expecting from Apple or from an alternative brand if you don't like in-ear stuff.

3) When did you buy this computer? You have 90 days of phone support and a year of normal support. And GAF could probably help you better than Apple if you described what was going wrong instead of just throwing out a generic problem.

4) All Macs except the Mini and Pro have a webcam. But you implied from your first question that you have a trackpad which would mean you have a notebook.

panda21

it depends what you want the headphones are for but sennheisers are usually the best. you need to get some that ipods can drive though, i think hd25s would be good. if you really want people to hear it get open ones, but i think they cost more.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, so today I redid my entertainment center by ripping everything out and putting it all back together cleaner. (It was a mess) When I turned my Mac mini on to test it (It's connected to my Polaroid FLM-3232 32" TV) it had reverted to a default resolution of 640x480. So I went into System Preferences to fix this.

To my surprise my resolution list was filled with every single resolution ever supported by any monitor ever. At first I thought this was part of the 10.5.8 update. So I decided to take advantage of this and chose the one native resolution I knew the TV had... 1280x768. This is the native advertised resolution of the TV. I chose the 60Hz option and it worked! It resized and automatically adjusted to remove any porches and overscan and it was 1:1 pixel. Perfect! I thought everything was fine. So I rebooted the computer and BOOM, it was back to the old resolution I had it on before I disconnected it. (1920x1024, shrunk down but for some reason the damn TV recognizes it. It'd be awesome if it were a 16:10 resolution and not a 4:3.)

The resolution had disappeared along with a hundred others. The list was back to normal with a small selection of resolutions and only one widescreen option. (848x480, quite possibly the smallest widescreen option you could ever have.) Disappointment! What happened? I must have somehow started up the first time in Safe Boot mode. And when I rebooted it went back to the last known successful resolution. :(

So I decided to download SwitchResX and try it out. After fucking around I manually set it to what it was before using the simple option and typing in 1280 and 768 and 60Hz. Boom, after a reboot the resolution was added to the list. Selecting it and crossing my fingers it worked successfully.

But my question is, WTF? This program uses Unsanity's Application Enhancer. And this is Leopard! How the hell is this working when Unsanity's website specifically says APE doesn't work under 10.5.x? I'm not paying $20 for a program that relies on a plugin that might not even work in the future. I plan on replacing the Leopard compatible G4 mini with a Snow Leopard compatible Intel mini eventually, and I still want to be assured that I will be able to set my resolution to 1280x768@60. And I've grown a bit weary of Unsanity. I don't want to go back to relying on them again.

Kimosabae

Banned
Thanks a lot killthee.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
1) Yes, in System Preferences.

From this point on, all of your questions make no sense to me.

2) Apple only sells regular iPod headphones and the premium in-ear headphones. So I don't know what you're expecting from Apple or from an alternative brand if you don't like in-ear stuff.

3) When did you buy this computer? You have 90 days of phone support and a year of normal support. And GAF could probably help you better than Apple if you described what was going wrong instead of just throwing out a generic problem.

4) All Macs except the Mini and Pro have a webcam. But you implied from your first question that you have a trackpad which would mean you have a notebook.

2: What? I'm looking for any place that sells regular Apple headphones (not in-ear) for less than the MSRP of 29.99. Either that, or a pair of similar headphones not made by Apple that may be of better quality. Maybe we fail to understand each other, but I fail to see what's nonsensical about this.

3: I have a notebook with the internal Webcam (Black 4gig). I've had it just out of warranty (bought it last year, May). My iMovie application stopped working after using it to film a performance at a concert in August last year. The application opens and completely fails to boot and I have to Force Quit. Apple Store employees could not ID the problem -- they tried reinstalling all the software, which failed. I've been told to make an appointment on the website, but haven't gotten around to doing this yet. Google searches of the problem a few months back shows other people have ran into the same problem.

I tried using Photo Booth to do short videos, but it too, seems to have a bug that has the application failing to save recordings after a certain length -- I'll record myself for 3 minutes, only to have it actually save 5 seconds of it. Google searches have shown others have this problem, too.

-Kimo

Kimosabae

Banned
panda21 said:
it depends what you want the headphones are for but sennheisers are usually the best. you need to get some that ipods can drive though, i think hd25s would be good.if you really want people to hear it get open ones, but i think they cost more.

Would you mind re-explaining that? I can't follow. I don't know what "hd25s" are, for starters.

-Kimo

Phobophile

Kimosabae said:
Would you mind re-explaining that? I can't follow. I don't know what "hd25s" are, for starters.

-Kimo
He's talking about Sennheiser in his entire post.

Kimosabae

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Have you tried deleting iMovie's preferences and then starting it up?

I'll try that now, but, the Apple employees tried reinstalling the software. Don't you think if it was a software issue, that would have likely corrected it?

-Kimo

panda21

Kimosabae said:

-Kimo

any of these are probably good if you don't want in ear:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_wired-headphones
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_dj-headphones

i thought they might require too much power for an ipod, but i think they are actually all ok.

just don't get a pair of these cos they won't work well with an ipod:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_audiophile-headphones_004465

Phobophile

Kimosabae said:
Okay, definitely don't need anything that bulky, or expensive. I'm a gym rat.

-Kimo
In any rate, headphone recommendations threads are a dime a dozen on GAF. Browse these to see if any interest you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283170&highlight=headphones
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364176&highlight=headphones
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341161&highlight=headphones
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361792&highlight=headphones

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:

I think the reason why people recommend Apple care is that the cost of nearly ANY repair is paid off by the Applecare.

the hourly rates is probably close to $100 just to look at your machine.

Kimosabae

Banned
Can anyone tell me where to find preferences for the iMovie application?

mrkgoo said:
I think the reason why people recommend Apple care is that the cost of nearly ANY repair is paid off by the Applecare.

the hourly rates is probably close to $100 just to look at your machine.

So Apple Care is a must for anyone that owns a Mac, then?

Phobophile

Kimosabae said:
So Apple Care is a must for anyone that owns a Mac, then?
I'd say that an extended warranty is requisite for anyone who buys a prefabricated computer, regardless of manufacturer.

Killthee said:
You can drag a window to another space by dragging it to the side and holding it there till you jump to the closest space. You can also jump spaces using a trackpad/mouse by enabling a Spaces hotcorner (Sys. Pref -> Expose & Spaces -> Expose).

9fd5.png

There's also a Spaces menu bar icon you can enable in the Spaces system preference.

I'm interested in this too, but I did that and it doesn't work.

Burger

Jasoco said:
Okay, so today I redid my entertainment center by ripping everything out and putting it all back together cleaner. (It was a mess) When I turned my Mac mini on to test it (It's connected to my Polaroid FLM-3232 32" TV) it had reverted to a default resolution of 640x480. So I went into System Preferences to fix this.

To my surprise my resolution list was filled with every single resolution ever supported by any monitor ever. At first I thought this was part of the 10.5.8 update. So I decided to take advantage of this and chose the one native resolution I knew the TV had... 1280x768. This is the native advertised resolution of the TV. I chose the 60Hz option and it worked! It resized and automatically adjusted to remove any porches and overscan and it was 1:1 pixel. Perfect! I thought everything was fine. So I rebooted the computer and BOOM, it was back to the old resolution I had it on before I disconnected it. (1920x1024, shrunk down but for some reason the damn TV recognizes it. It'd be awesome if it were a 16:10 resolution and not a 4:3.)

The resolution had disappeared along with a hundred others. The list was back to normal with a small selection of resolutions and only one widescreen option. (848x480, quite possibly the smallest widescreen option you could ever have.) Disappointment! What happened? I must have somehow started up the first time in Safe Boot mode. And when I rebooted it went back to the last known successful resolution. :(

So I decided to download SwitchResX and try it out. After fucking around I manually set it to what it was before using the simple option and typing in 1280 and 768 and 60Hz. Boom, after a reboot the resolution was added to the list. Selecting it and crossing my fingers it worked successfully.

But my question is, WTF? This program uses Unsanity's Application Enhancer. And this is Leopard! How the hell is this working when Unsanity's website specifically says APE doesn't work under 10.5.x? I'm not paying $20 for a program that relies on a plugin that might not even work in the future. I plan on replacing the Leopard compatible G4 mini with a Snow Leopard compatible Intel mini eventually, and I still want to be assured that I will be able to set my resolution to 1280x768@60. And I've grown a bit weary of Unsanity. I don't want to go back to relying on them again.

I sort of had the same problem when I pluged in my MBP to a Sharp 42" LCD and tried getting 1920x1080p out of it. I reckon I spend about 10 hours trying to fix that problem (using SwitchRes X). I only fixed it when I tried a different HDMI port and it worked instantly.

Jasoco

Banned
BrandNew said:
guise said:
I just discovered Plex.

Have you ever tried Boxee?
Have you tried XBMC? I've never had luck with either Plex or Boxee.

And the interface on both Plex and XBMC is the same because they're called themes. I have XBMC on my AppleTV (If only I could get the damn thing to connect to a networked drive or even one connected to the USB port) and it has the same theme shown in the screenshot on the Plex site.

I'm resetting my AppleTV to factory settings. If I can't get it hacked and set up to connect to my networked Mac mini with a TB of movies and TV shows I'm going to throw it out the window. (Apple File Share server won't work. WTF? This is a part of the goddamned OS!)

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
I keep clicking the edge of the trackpad that I assigned spaces to but nothing happens.

It's not clicking on the trackpad - they're hot corners for the screen - drag your cursor to those corners. It's awesome (even though I don't use it), because you can click and drag a file onto the corner, have it open spaces and continue dragging onto other open areas.

Top Bottom