• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

as written above, the external drive has been full for months.
why is it not (as is usual) just replacing the oldest backups with new ones?

reseting surely cannot be the desired answer, as i do sometimes go back in time to get a file that has been deleted or changed.

The reset doesn't delete your backups.

Majine

Banned
Probably getting my Air tomorrow, if UPS tracking is right.

I'm sharing my current Mac, can I migrate just my user to the MBA?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In 10.6 does anyone know why replacing the system menubar icons (airport, battery life etc) with colourful versions only results in greyscale icons?

You guys ever hear of a Conduit Toolbar? Found it on my sister-inlaw's MacBook Pro (10.6.8). Sniff test (Google) suggest it is adware at best, spyware at worst.

Removed it easily enough. She got it around the time she was doing a bunch of software updates in June and so she was in the habit of typing in her password when prompted. Suspect she got it on a drive-by download from a site she visited and her Safari had 'open safe file types automatically'.

Will see about getting her on 10.8.2 when it is out.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Oh my gosh.

Steam just updated, and the scrolling is now smooth and PERFECT!

Anyone else try it yet?

mother of god, you're correct. now if they also accomplished this for their Windows client...

those-are-tears-of-joy-ash-is-finally-dead.gif

Maximus.

Hey quick question about osx and steam/counterstrike!

Using a mac and when I invite a friend to a game, it says turn on universal access. It also wont let me shift+tab to see a friend invite me to a game. Any advice?

Garou

Hey quick question about osx and steam/counterstrike!

Using a mac and when I invite a friend to a game, it says turn on universal access. It also wont let me shift+tab to see a friend invite me to a game. Any advice?

Turn on universal access in the Mac OS System preferences?

leng jai

How the hell do you get Steam to work on Mac? As soon as I launch it it says "Steam needs to be online, but was set to offline mode". What gives?

How the hell do you get Steam to work on Mac? As soon as I launch it it says "Steam needs to be online, but was set to offline mode". What gives?

It seems to be a bit buggy in the latest release(s). I can see my library, but I can't view the community section. Wouldn't be surprised if a new install had even more issues.

Pretty weird given how well it's worked up until now.

i posted this in the tech support thread on the 23rd and never got a response so im trying here. any help?

hi gaf. so i need some help. i just got a batarang wired xbox controller for my mac so i can use it for steam games. i downloaded the xbox controller mac driver but my computer isnt recognizing it. Ive read in reviews this controller works on mac. When i go to system preferences and xbox controller it says no devices found. I plugged the controller into my 360 and it works. can someone please help me get this working. mac is running 10.8 (mountain lion) could that be the problem?

OG Kush

Why does itunes make a copy of all my music and movies?!!! This is basically using up double the space right? I have music in my folders which I imported from PC and the same music is in the itunes folders!

jts

...hate me...
Why does itunes make a copy of all my music and movies?!!! This is basically using up double the space right? I have music in my folders which I imported from PC and the same music is in the itunes folders!
You can delete the originals (i.e., the ones not in iTunes folders).

What you have is a setting (preferences > advanced) checked to copy your media over to your iTunes folder when you import it.

You can also uncheck that. But it's much better to keep it on, as well as the keep stuff organized option.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can delete the originals (i.e., the ones not in iTunes folders).

What you have is a setting (preferences > advanced) checked to copy your media over to your iTunes folder when you import it.

You can also uncheck that. But it's much better to keep it on, as well as the keep stuff organized option.
Also take advantage of the folder titled "Automatically Add to iTunes" and when you get new MP3's or any other media iTunes supports just drop them in there. It works for App's, Books, PDF's (Are recognized as books), video files, ringtones, music and other stuff.

So yes, keep it organized and keep it set to copy the file in then delete the original, and get used to instead of dragging the file into iTunes, drag it into that folder and let iTunes manage it for you. It's really convenient.

ibc54wrp31lYMi.PNG

Of course this is how I have mine set up. By default, that whole folder's contents are actually in a subfolder under that "iTunes" folder.

Majine

Banned
How do I transfer content from my iDevices to my mac without stupid iTunes wiping the iDevice clean and going by the iTunes library? Most software solutions cost money and the one that doesn't, iExplorer, doesn't recognize books.

I just got a new Retina MBP. Have they changed the keyboard shortcut to swap languages in 10.8.1? On my old dual core I could never get any language change shortcuts to work. On 10.8 ⌘+space just opens spotlight. I can't seem to see the option in preferences to set it.

mrkgoo

I just got a new Retina MBP. Have they changed the keyboard shortcut to swap languages in 10.8.1? On my old dual core I could never get any language change shortcuts to work. On 10.8 ⌘+space just opens spotlight. I can't seem to see the option in preferences to set it.

Cmd+space has always been default Spotlight.

Ctrl+space is default 'previous input source', I believe.
Ctrl+opt+space 'next input source'.

This is changeable in preferences, under "keyboard shortcuts". It's also linked to under Language & TExt -> Input sources.

Why is this happening? I can't even go into settings. Anyone?
Is your camera configured? As in, it should be because 'it just works', but maybe some bug has disconnected it, or a hardware problem?

Check in your system information to see if your camera is still recognised, or maybe try photo booth to see if it's working.

My Macbook is quite slow, especially during startup (after logging in). I only have one or two startup items. Yet when I create a new user account, enable the same startup items, it loads almost instantly. What is slowling down my account?

Note: I have nothing on my desktop

mrkgoo

My Macbook is quite slow, especially during startup (after logging in). I only have one or two startup items. Yet when I create a new user account, enable the same startup items, it loads almost instantly. What is slowling down my account?

Note: I have nothing on my desktop

Probably just loading in a bunch of preferences, custom extensions, etc.

It won't be just startup items.

Are you using reopen windows on login? Stuff like that.

When you say slow, how slow? Like takes 20 seconds or takes 20minutes?

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mrkgoo

Huh. The camera doesn't appear in system information and Photo Booth doesn't work. Could my camera be broken?

Sounds like it, or disconnected or just a software bug preventing it from being recognised (I've known of a few). For the record, the camera should show up as an iSight under USB items.

At least you're getting closer to finding the source of the problem.

Also, obvious, but do try restarting your computer.

And repairing permissions (Disk Utility) and resetting PRAM (hold cmd+opt+P+R while booting, until you hear second chime). These may or may not work, more likely not, but there's no harm in trying.

hirokazu

Huh. The camera doesn't appear in system information and Photo Booth doesn't work. Could my camera be broken?
Are you using the built-in camera or an external one? If you're using the built-in one, that sounds bad. There may be a loose connection somewhere in your computer or the camera's just busted.

Majine

Banned
Sounds like it, or disconnected or just a software bug preventing it from being recognised (I've known of a few). For the record, the camera should show up as an iSight under USB items.

At least you're getting closer to finding the source of the problem.

Also, obvious, but do try restarting your computer.

And repairing permissions (Disk Utility) and resetting PRAM (hold cmd+opt+P+R while booting, until you hear second chime). These may or may not work, more likely not, but there's no harm in trying.

It all worked out by restarting the computer, lol. Don't know what happened there, but it's all good now.

Thanks!

FerranMG

I've had a Mac for over a year now, and still haven't realized how to copy and paste (ie, move) files using what in Windows would be ctrl+c and ctrl+v.
I feel like it works sometimes, and it doesn't some others.

Can anyone put it in clear terms for me?

Probably just loading in a bunch of preferences, custom extensions, etc.

It won't be just startup items.

Are you using reopen windows on login? Stuff like that.

When you say slow, how slow? Like takes 20 seconds or takes 20minutes?

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Just over a minute. I don't have the 'reopen windows on login' enabled. Custom preferences? What do you mean?

I've had a Mac for over a year now, and still haven't realized how to copy and paste (ie, move) files using what in Windows would be ctrl+c and ctrl+v.

It's CMD, not Ctrl

mrkgoo

It all worked out by restarting the computer, lol. Don't know what happened there, but it's all good now.

Thanks!

It sounds like a software bug. I've heard of this bug being fixed on a restart, but eventually rearing its head again. Keep an eye out for it.

CMD, not CTRL. (ah, Jason has you covered)

Just over a minute. I don't have the 'reopen windows on login' enabled. Custom preferences? What do you mean?

It's CMD, not Ctrl

Well, all preferences have to be loaded in, right? menu bar items, any custom extensions you're running, like drivers, etc.

Is your computer completely froze while this is happening? Beachballing, or just generally slow?

A huge number of things could be happening. Loading in what I've mentioned. Spotlight catching up on its indexing. Time Machine doing a check. Networks being checked. Remote drives being checked. Notifications being checked. iCloud logging in and updating. RAM contents might be being loaded in from previous shutdown. Caches might be being emptied.

All sorts of housekeeping processes could be running.

My computer is kinda slow on restart, as it checks resume states and stuff (even off, it has to check to know it's off), I see menu bar items pop up one at a time as it obviously loads them etc.

I don't restart often, so it's not a big deal to me.

Well, all preferences have to be loaded in, right? menu bar items, any custom extensions you're running, like drivers, etc.

Is your computer completely froze while this is happening? Beachballing, or just generally slow?

A huge number of things could be happening. Loading in what I've mentioned. Spotlight catching up on its indexing. Time Machine doing a check. Networks being checked. Remote drives being checked. Notifications being checked. iCloud logging in and updating. RAM contents might be being loaded in from previous shutdown. Caches might be being emptied.

All sorts of housekeeping processes could be running.

My computer is kinda slow on restart, as it checks resume states and stuff (even off, it has to check to know it's off), I see menu bar items pop up one at a time as it obviously loads them etc.

I don't restart often, so it's not a big deal to me.

I'm not running anything unique in regards to drivers. Menu bar items are the same for both user accounts, so are general setting preferences. Beachballing is very, very frequent for me, like everytime I open an app almost or new browser tab

I thought doubling the RAM to 8GB would help but it hasnt

mrkgoo

It happens to my laptop often; every time it goes to sleep in fact :(. I complained about it in the Mac Hardware thread but haven't found a solution yet.

It could be a software thing with certain models.

Here's a link where someone appears to have got desperate enough to write his own extension or something. I'm NOT vouching for it, it was just something I found that shows that it isn't an isolated issue: http://www.codium.co.nz/isight_fix/

FerranMG

It's CMD, not Ctrl

Sorry, I worded it wrong.

I know usually CMD replaces Ctrl, and I know that CMD+x, CMD+c and CMD+v can be used as cut, copy and paste for TEXT, but it doesn't seem to work always for FILES.

The other day I was trying to copy files from the desktop to some Movies folder or whatever, and I couldn't do it using CMD+c and CMD+v, I had to drag them.

mrkgoo

Sorry, I worded it wrong.

I know usually CMD replaces Ctrl, and I know that CMD+x, CMD+c and CMD+v can be used as cut, copy and paste for TEXT, but it doesn't seem to work always for FILES.

The other day I was trying to copy files from the desktop to some Movies folder or whatever, and I couldn't do it using CMD+c and CMD+v, I had to drag them.

You can certainly copy + paste files using cmd+c -> cmd+v.

IF you wish to move it, cmd+c to copy, then cmd+opt+v.

There's no cmd+x cut for files, as it's a metaphor that doesn't really work for files. Cut a file? Except it doesn't get cut! It's still there! So the equivalent is copy THEN opt paste to move it.

So instead of cut/copy -> paste on Windows, you have copy -> paste/move.

FerranMG

You can certainly copy + paste files using cmd+c -> cmd+v.

IF you wish to move it, cmd+c to copy, then cmd+opt+v.

There's no cmd+x cut for files, as it's a metaphor that doesn't really work for files. Cut a file? Except it doesn't get cut! It's still there! So the equivalent is copy THEN opt paste to move it.

So instead of cut/copy -> paste on Windows, you have copy -> paste/move.

Ok, thanks!
Didn't know about CMD+opt+v.
I'm almost positive, though, I tried regular CMD+c and CMD+v to copy files and it didn't work in some cases. Will try again this afternoon!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Believe it or not, in the moment I never think to use copy and move (Which is what Apple refers to it as. It makes more sense since you can't actually "cut" a file since it's not actually removed from its place anyway.) as I always just drag and drop. Hold a modifier to make sure it moves instead of copies if I have to.

I probably should use it, but believe it or not, way back in the Windows 95 days I was completely turned off of cut and paste in Explorer because 95 had a HORRIBLE bug where a cut file would literally be deleted from the system and if you never pasted it, it would disappear forever. Windows literally removed cut files from their homes and held them in limbo until you pasted it. Why? Who knows. MS obviously fixed that years ago but it made me completely paranoid and weary of ever using cut and paste in a file browser.

Guess it's time I get over that fear and start using it again.

Cmd+space has always been default Spotlight.

Ctrl+space is default 'previous input source', I believe.
Ctrl+opt+space 'next input source'.

This is changeable in preferences, under "keyboard shortcuts". It's also linked to under Language & TExt -> Input sources.

Thanks, I was able to set the right option.

Futureman

I have Garageband '11 on an iMac from last year running 10.7

why don't I have "Guitar" under the Real Instrument list where you can apply effects to an audio track? I have acoustic guitar, bass, drums, vocals, etc. but not guitar. I seem to remember there being a bunch of electric guitar effects...

would it be on my system disc or something? I thought I had downloaded a bunch of extra Garageband stuff through system update once.

I feel like we're due for an iLife update. I know they've added a lot of features over the last year or so via App Store updates, but I wonder if they have a major feature update in the works?

I would really love a 64-bit iPhoto and an iMovie that takes full advantage of my hardware like Final Cut Pro X.

I'm liking the new version of Safari a lot, but is there a way to set the right click-> "search with Google" option for highlighted text to open the results in a new tab? The default behaviour makes no sense, if you're using that option it's always to check on something in reference to the current page you're on, not leave it altogether.

As near as I can see there's no menu option that changes this behaviour.

jts

...hate me...
Pet peeve, but I fail to understand why spotlight on the Mac doesn't index music ID3 tags as well, instead of just the files themselves. Especially when iOS does it (of course, iOS doesn't have an observable filesystem to begin with). Sometimes I have songs with a bad or wrong name but properly tagged and I can't quickly find them and launch them through spotlight.

Since yesterday the wifi in my 2011 macbook pro refuses to turn on. It shows this:
PsTYt.png

I've read that some people had this problem when upgrading to lion but I have been on 10.7.4 for a very long time and it just recently broke. Did the wifi card burn out?

I tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM with Command-Option-P-R but it didn't help.

I see this fix but I'm not sure it applies to my situation:
http://www.compunoodle.com/wifi-no-hardware-installed-fix-for-os-x-lion/

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do? I'm not in a location where it is easy to have Macs worked on, or I'd just take it in. I think I'll have to buy a usb wifi antennae but I've heard those can be really slow.

OG Kush

Been playing a lot of games on bootcamp recently, and as expected the fans get quite loud and the laptop gets hot. I know this is whats to meant to happen, but is there any risk of my macbook overheating? I'm playing new games like Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs. I don't want to overheat my CPU and GPU.. I did read that the macbook will automatically shut down if it gets too hot, but does this also happen on bootcamp windows 7?
Just don't want to destory my laptop, is it cool if I play for a few hours on end?

eunao

Been playing a lot of games on bootcamp recently, and as expected the fans get quite loud and the laptop gets hot. I know this is whats to meant to happen, but is there any risk of my macbook overheating? I'm playing new games like Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs. I don't want to overheat my CPU and GPU.. I did read that the macbook will automatically shut down if it gets too hot, but does this also happen on bootcamp windows 7?
Just don't want to destory my laptop, is it cool if I play for a few hours on end?

The overheat sensor should be a hardware switch not a software one. In another words it doesn't matter what you are doing with your laptop the motherboard should know when to shutdown.

Top Bottom