• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Kimosabae

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
I keep clicking the edge of the trackpad that I assigned spaces to but nothing happens.

Sounds like you have a newer Macbook. I have the generation just before, where the trackpad has a confirm button at the bottom. It shouldn't be the trackpad that initiates the change but the screen itself.

All I have to do, is move the mouse cursor to the corresponding Hot Corner and Spaces pops up. To move an app to an adjacent Space, I just drag the window to the farthest edge of the screen and hold it there for a moment before the shift happens on its own. I'm sure it works similarly on yours.

-Kye

mrkgoo said:
It's not clicking on the trackpad - they're hot corners for the screen - drag your cursor to those corners. It's awesome (even though I don't use it), because you can click and drag a file onto the corner, have it open spaces and continue dragging onto other open areas.

Holy fucking shit! How did I NOT notice this!?

Is there a way to assign this by putting 4 fingers on the trackpad? I only see secondary click and middle mouse click.

Kimosabae said:
Sounds like you have a newer Macbook. I have the generation just before, where the trackpad has a confirm button at the bottom. It shouldn't be the trackpad that initiates the change but the screen itself.

All I have to do, is move the mouse cursor to the corresponding Hot Corner and Spaces pops up. To move an app to an adjacent Space, I just drag the window to the farthest edge of the screen and hold it there for a moment before the shift happens on its own. I'm sure it works similarly on yours.

-Kye

Yeah I just figured this out. Once again mindblown.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Holy fucking shit! How did I NOT notice this!?

Is there a way to assign this by putting 4 fingers on the trackpad? I only see secondary click and middle mouse click.

Sadly, there aren't many configuration options for multitouch in Leopard.

A third part app multiclutch allows you to assign multitouch on an application basis, however, I hear it's good.

Thing is, you can use 4-finger left/right swipe to bring up an applications switcher. Swipe 4 fingers left or right, it will default to the last app you use, tap again with 4 fingers to go to it.

Also, ctrl+arrow keys manoeuvres through your spaces. Also dragging a file to the edge of the screen switches spaces.

LCfiner

Kimosabae said:
What's the big deal with OSX Lepoard?

-Kimo

Hey guys, what's the deal with airplane food? It's so bad! do they not have salt up in the sky?

Kimo, do you have a more, um, answerable question?

Kimosabae said:
What's the big deal with OSX Lepoard?

-Kimo

jerryseinfelddadagain2.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow, way to be dicks.

Like I said before, I'm not an egghead. I've heard of OSX and OSX Leopard. Was never quite sure if there was a difference between the two, or if "OSX" was just an abbreviation of Leopard. I saw someone post a pic of their OSX Leopard disc, with a drool smilie. The disc looks very different from mine.

My questions are quite answerable, if only some of you would take 5 seconds to pull your heads out of your asses to interpret my perspective.

For those that have answered my questions, I appreciate it greatly.

-Kimo

Kimosabae said:
Wow, way to be dicks.

Like I said before, I'm not an egghead. I've heard of OSX and OSX Leopard. Was never quite sure if there was a difference between the two, or if "OSX" was just an abbreviation of Leopard. I saw someone post a pic of their OSX Leopard disc, with a drool smilie. The disc looks very different from mine.

My questions are quite answerable, if only some of you would take 5 seconds to pull your heads out of your asses to interpret my perspective.

-Kimo

OSX = Mac OS X ("Ten")
Leopard = Mac OS 10.5
Snow Leopard = Mac OS 10.6

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Kimosabae said:
Wow, way to be dicks.

-Kimo
Well dude, some of your questions have been incredibly ambiguous. Leopard is just the name for the current 10.5 revision of OS X. Prior it was Tiger for 10.4 and so on; what you saw on the previous page was SNOW Leopard, 10.6, to be released next month. You're actually running 10.5 (Leopard) right now if you're current.

Killthee said:
I think Multiclutch might be able to do that. Here's a guide if you need one.

Wow thanks!

Kimosabae said:
Wow, way to be dicks.

-Kimo

There are two types of help forums:

#1 The type that is willing to walk you through with you step by step

#2 The type that will be willing to help you but only if you try helping yourself first

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So I installed bootcamp and vista a couple months ago, haven't used it much, but I am taking a class that uses autocad and I realize my partition for windows was too small (i forgot how much space windows takes up lol).

I know I cannot resize this currently without nuking the partition, but I thought I read somewhere that snow leopard was going to have bootcamp partition resizing.

Did I just imagine this or is there a link, I can't seem o find this now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
scola said:
So I installed bootcamp and vista a couple months ago, haven't used it much, but I am taking a class that uses autocad and I realize my partition for windows was too small (i forgot how much space windows takes up lol).

I know I cannot resize this currently without nuking the partition, but I thought I read somewhere that snow leopard was going to have bootcamp partition resizing.

Did I just imagine this or is there a link, I can't seem o find this now.
The only thing I remember hearing about SL & Bootcamp is updated drivers and a HFS+ read driver.

Why don't you just the clone the partition, nuke it, shrink your HFS+ partition in disk utility, and then restore the Windows partition in the new empty space?

Winclone or Camp Tune should be able to do it. Just be careful before you mess around with the partitions and make sure you have a backup.

LCfiner

Kimosabae said:
Wow, way to be dicks.

-Kimo

if you hadn't responded like such a dick to some good natured ribbing, maybe you'd get some better answers.

jesus.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm having a problem with CCC and networked backups. They used to work fine, but since I reinstalled OS X on the server (The computer with the HD I'm backing up to) my MacBook (The one I am backing up from wirelessly) freaks out that the Authentication key is wrong and there's a man in the middle.

Even after deleting the old key from ~/.ssh/known_hosts and SSHing into the mini to reset the key as the new key, it won't work saying there's a wrong key.

So sad. I used to have it going so well like clockwork every day wirelessly backing up across the network without me having to lift a finger.

I'm assuming it is a Snow Leopard problem, so I'll have to ride it out until SL is released and Bombich gets more complaints. If he doesn't get complaints and create an update, then it's a problem on my end.

Oh well, at least Time Machine's wireless backup is working. (Albeit after cutting off three times throughout the initial backup for some unexplained unlogged reason.)

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Wow thanks!

There are two types of help forums:

#1 The type that is willing to walk you through with you step by step

#2 The type that will be willing to help you but only if you try helping yourself first

I'm both. But I don't get it when a question is vague so I don;t even understand the question.

Really what is the question, "What is the big deal with OSX Leopard?"

I interpreted it as one of two things:

"I don't see why OSX Leopard is so great. What is the big deal with OSX Leopard?"

or

"What IS OSX Leopard?"

SO, if he as trying to be a troll, and asking in a Mac forum the former, I chose to leave it be, instead I interpreted it as the latter. So I answered.

kimosabae said:
Wow, way to be dicks.

-Kimo

Now that you have elaborated on your original meaning, we can actually answer:

OSX refers to the Operating System Ten. X is The roman numeral for ten. OSX is not an abbreviation for Leopard. That would be Leo. Perhaps 'L'.

OSX has been out ages, and is the primary operating system for Macs. Every 18 months or so, Apple releases a major point upgrade - 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 etc.

Generally, each of these point upgrades is a paid upgrade, and they have cute charismatic megavertebrate feline codenames. Jaguar, Panther (10.3), Tiger (10.4), Leopard (10.5), and the up and coming Snow Leopard (10.6).

I would hazard a guess that the disc you saw a photo of in the recent threads was actually a Snow Leopard disc (10.6), and not your current disc (10.5).

To be honest, the answers aren't that 'dickish' just incredulity at the question, so I apologise if you think it's dickish.

Read your question again from an objective view and ask yourself what it was really asking. I suggest you take a look at it form OUR perspective. A bit of clarity goes a long way.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
You guys are being assholes to Kimo. Now answer me...

When is OSX Bear being released and what is the big deal!?

-sanjuro

As LCFiner stated, it was just good-natured ribbing rather than being dicks. The question was not even a real question. He wanted to ask what the deal was with the name, but none of us got that from that question.

The way the question was asked is a kin to going to gaming side and posting:

"So what's the big deal with XBox360?"

Then after the inevitable 17 page console wars fight, returning and saying, "Oh I just wanted to know what the number 360 meant".

mrkgoo

Again your question is vague. Who said it was bad to use?

And no, we are not all signing off our names. I don't know why.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
LegendOfGood said:
So why is Firefox bad for me to use?

Also, why are we signing off our posts now?

-Legend
Firefox isn't bad, it's just kinda lousy. It's pretty slow and is such a memory hog. Camino wasn't cutting it for me and I was just using FF until Safari got the GIFs fixed but I said fuck it since it wasn't worth the memory leaks in FF.

Sanjuro

Phobophile said:
Firefox isn't bad, it's just kinda lousy. It's pretty slow and is such a memory hog. Camino wasn't cutting it for me and I was just using FF until Safari got the GIFs fixed but I said fuck it since it wasn't worth the memory leaks in FF.
STFU what is the deal with Firefox!? It doesn't look like a fox and there is no fire!

-juro

mrkgoo said:
OSX refers to the Operating System Ten. X is The roman numeral for ten. OSX is not an abbreviation for Leopard. That would be Leo. Perhaps 'L'.

OSX has been out ages, and is the primary operating system for Macs. Every 18 months or so, Apple releases a major point upgrade - 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 etc.

Actually, OSX is nothing. The Apple operating system is abbreviated OS X, never OSX.

:D

LCfiner

LegendOfGood said:
Not vague: If I switch over to Safari, can I disable banner ads like I can in FF with ad-block?

-Legend

right now, there's a program called safariblock that works like ad-block.

however, if i remember correctly, it works by using an inputmanager hack and those are disabled for 64 bit apps in snow leopard (which safari will be). so it won't work for long if you're gonna upgrade next month.

other option: clicktoflash to disable flash items. real safari plug-in, not a hack so it'll work with SL. normal ads will still show.

or get one of those custom css style sheets that hide ads.

... or just keep using firefox

mrkgoo

LegendOfGood said:
Not vague: If I switch over to Safari, can I disable banner ads like I can in FF with ad-block?

-Legend

LCFiner has you covered, I think. Safari adblock.

But really, Safari is much less configurable. I use safari just because I don't need much more else out of my browser. The only thin I really think is pretty cool is configurable search bar.

I tend to be too indecisive with too many options available, which is (a pretty stupid) reason that I tend to stick with things with less options - I like people to tell me what is good.

LCfiner

mrkgoo said:
LCFiner has you covered, I think. Safari adblock.

But really, Safari is much less configurable. I use safari just because I don't need much more else out of my browser. The only thin I really think is pretty cool is configurable search bar.

I tend to be too indecisive with too many options available, which is (a pretty stupid) reason that I tend to stick with things with less options - I like people to tell me what is good.

Truly you are Steve Job's ideal consumer.

truly

just kiddin' mang! we cool

mrkgoo said:
Generally, each of these point upgrades is a paid upgrade, and they have cute charismatic megavertebrate feline codenames. Jaguar, Panther (10.3), Tiger (10.4), Leopard (10.5), and the up and coming Snow Leopard (10.6).

Speaking of these feline themed names how many popular names in this category are left? I mean all I can think of is Lion and Sabertooth.

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
Truly you are Steve Job's ideal consumer.

truly

just kiddin' mang! we cool

Actually, you have a point.

But it's a good deal Steve and I have here. He likes tell people what they want, I like people to tell me.

To be serious, I do have issues with super-customisability. It's like an OCD thing. I will sit and play around for ages, never getting anything done, never settling on one option.

When I say I like people telling me what to like, it's mostly jest, but there's grain of truth - when a piece of software (or hardware for that matter) is designed, I prefer it to be tested inside and out for optimum user-friendliness and comfort, so that I don't have to mess about. It's why I prefer simplicity and elegance over complexity. Often, the extra customisability just serves to confuse the user, or are options that aren't particularly useful anyway.

Take a bedside lamp for example. You can have one that takes a bulb and has an on/off switch. Or you can have one with adaptors to fit multiple bulb sizes, take multiple wattages, with a switch for each setting, multivoltage for taking overseas, a dimmer function, adjustable arm, built-in disco filter and so on and so on - but what if I just need a lamp? I'm all for features that are useful, but if I'm likely not going to customise it anyway, I don't need to have the options for the sake of having options.

I realise there are people who DO use such features, so I know the argument is 'just don't use the options', and that's fair. But that's why there are multiple browsers. Safari is the default one, and I'm happy with it, because it more or less allows me access to the internet.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Speaking of these feline themed names how many popular names in this category are left? I mean all I can think of is Lion and Sabertooth.

I imagine and OS 11 is being developed at some stage - to deserve the 11 value, I would say it need to be a shift in operating system paradigm, like 3D, or a new input method (OMG multitouch).

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
:lol sorry, not laughing AT you necessarily but :lol =P

I think that this kind of thing normally just highlights the thought process between a user and the 'instructions'. Normally instructions are written or shown in such a ways that they can be a bit vague, and misinterpretable. But that examples WAS talking about "Active Screen Corners" (not trackpad), and had a picture of the Desktop screen with the hot corners. I can see where the mistake came about.

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I imagine and OS 11 is being developed at some stage - to deserve the 11 value, I would say it need to be a shift in operating system paradigm, like 3D, or a new input method (OMG multitouch).
They can keep with OS X 10.x for as long as they want. Just because it hits .9 doesn't require the next version to be a new full number. We had a 10.4.10 (I think it was .4, maybe it was .3) and if the replacement hadn't come out we'd have gotten 10.4.11. They can keep going to 10.10, then 10.11 if they really want to. Since version numbers don't behave the same laws as regular math. Whereas .10 is rounded to .1. Same reason they don't do .01-.09 then .10.

Now that SL is here (For the most part) I am now looking forward to seeing what they have in store for 10.7. Will it return to form with "120 new features!"? Or does Snow Leopard usher in a new era of smaller updates optimized much more at longer intervals and cheaper prices? I'm hoping for the former.

--Gavin MacLeod

mrkgoo said:

Aww and I was waiting for OS X Pussy. :(

I agree with you though. Apple has found success by revolutionizing products in certain industries. The iPod and iPhone need no introduction with this. Essentially what I think Apple will focus on is having computer evolve from their current state and have them be able to do things that iPods and iPhones can't. I mean let's face it outside of people who do media work and some hardcore gamers, having more power than an iPod Touch isn't really all that necessary.

What I think Apple will do is try to innovate computers to incorporate some new technology that is very consumer friendly and try to mash OS 11 with this. Or they could make it far more flexible with the ability to work on Macs as well as iPhone's, iPod's, and MacTablets.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
They can keep with OS X 10.x for as long as they want. Just because it hits .9 doesn't require the next version to be a new full number. We had a 10.4.10 (I think it was .4, maybe it was .3) and if the replacement hadn't come out we'd have gotten 10.4.11. They can keep going to 10.10, then 10.11 if they really want to. Since version numbers don't behave the same laws as regular math. Whereas .10 is rounded to .1. Same reason they don't do .01-.09 then .10.

Now that SL is here (For the most part) I am now looking forward to seeing what they have in store for 10.7. Will it return to form with "120 new features!"? Or does Snow Leopard usher in a new era of smaller updates optimized much more at longer intervals and cheaper prices? I'm hoping for the former.

--Gavin MacLeod

I realise that. And there is a 10.4.11. And a 10.4.12. I just think that they would have been toying around with radically new OS systems that actually have a completely new framework to deserve an 11. Much the same as 9 went to 10.

Like shifting away from UNIX to their own architecture or something. Arguably a huge success is the Unix core, but I'm just saying that's what it would take to be an 11.

Ashhong

mrkgoo said:
I think that this kind of thing normally just highlights the thought process between a user and the 'instructions'. Normally instructions are written or shown in such a ways that they can be a bit vague, and misinterpretable. But that examples WAS talking about "Active Screen Corners" (not trackpad), and had a picture of the Desktop screen with the hot corners. I can see where the mistake came about.

bit confused, seems like you're saying the instructions have a nice clear picture but you can see where the mistake came about? im not judging phoenix, mistakes happen, but seems pretty clear

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
bit confused, seems like you're saying the instructions have a nice clear picture but you can see where the mistake came about? im not judging phoenix, mistakes happen, but seems pretty clear

Yeah, I can see where the mistake took place - he just assumed it was the trackpad, not the screen, despite the desktop background on the image. His mind had already made the assumption of it being the trackpad when he clicked into the Spaces/Expose tab.

Remember, the trackpad is often seen as a 1:1 relationship with the screen, especially some PC users who have functions on the trackpad such scroll bar on the right side and so on.

Ashhong said:

I thought the rectangle in the image was the trackpad. Essentially I thought if I clicked the bottom left on the track bad than I'd be able to switch spaces or something like that. I didn't know that the rectangle was suppose to represent a screen. Being honest I didn't even know that there was an expose type thing for spaces.

Maximus.

Hey guys i just bought applecare for my macbook pro. Just registered it a few minutes ago. How long did it take whomever bought it to fully register? mine just says registration in progress, just curious as to how long it takes?

edit: got confirmed patience is a virtue lol...wondering why my confirmation email is french though :lol

Ashhong

Flying_Phoenix said:
I thought the rectangle in the image was the trackpad. Essentially I thought if I clicked the bottom left on the track bad than I'd be able to switch spaces or something like that. I didn't know that the rectangle was suppose to represent a screen. Being honest I didn't even know that there was an expose type thing for spaces.

haha yea, like i said mistakes happen. these things take a while to get used to. but damn if the little things like hot corners isnt awesome as hell. although i prefer the 4 finger swipe to hot corners.

Okay I've been having a problem with the recycle bin. I've been using duel screen on my powerbook G4. Now I can't see my recycle bin window in either single or duel screen mode. I even cannot see the window when using expose(show all windows). Please help.

Jasoco

Banned
Critical Jeff said:
Okay I've been having a problem with the recycle bin. I've been using duel screen on my powerbook G4. Now I can't see my recycle bin window in either single or duel screen mode. I even cannot see the window when using expose(show all windows). Please help.
Recycle Bin?

I'm a little confused at your wording. What window can't you see?

I finally setup spaces, holy shit is that awesome. It's just like the cube in linux. I wish I would have done it sooner now. I wish windows would do something like that already.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I finally setup spaces, holy shit is that awesome. It's just like the cube in linux. I wish I would have done it sooner now. I wish windows would do something like that already.

Ironically part of the ego of Microsoft is trying to make of Windows is that you can switch windows without switching windows. (I.E. You can switch through programs on a single screen without the need of flipping through a whole new desktop window).

Top Bottom