• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
I'd settle for a little more OS X love from the Firefox people. Standard OS X stuff, like spell checking and auto correction (Snow Leopard) instead of using their own stuff, the dictionary. I just want Firefox to act more like an OS X program. And less than a Linux program that was ported to Windows then to OS X as an afterthought.

SnakeXs said:
Is it gifs? Avatars are usually small, but Safari as it stands has some issues with gifs. They play slow, and larger ones really slow down and chug and can hit the browser as a whole.

I'd wait for Snow Leopard, it's supposed to be perfect, if not much better there. If it's still an issue then I'd dig further.

Flying_Phoenix said:
As Snake has said it's probably just Safari chugging on gifs.

Try downloading Camino if you want an OS X specific as well as a fast browser, and it's by Mozilla the people who create Firefox. Oh and it has a really cool feature that when you quit the application and open it up again, it reloads all of the pages you've previously visited.

However if you want something less buggy and being OS X specific isn't a problem than I'd recommend Firefox. Don'y know if it has that cool feature Camino does though.

Seems like it is just gifs. I switched to Camino for now which runs much better. Thanks.

Tobor

In case anyone was wondering how well Time Machine works, I just upgraded my Macbook to a 500GB drive using my TM backup, and it worked flawlessly. Big thumbs up.

Trasher

Haven't had the time to read through this whole thread, but I was wondering if there are any must-have or cool widgets out there?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Anyone know a good piece of software (or plugin for iTunes) to play FLAC files natively? Don't feel like eating up hard drive space with conversions to OGG or whatever.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
XMonkey said:
Anyone know a good piece of software (or plugin for iTunes) to play FLAC files natively? Don't feel like eating up hard drive space with conversions to OGG or whatever.

Convert to ALAC is the best I could recommend.

Trasher said:
Haven't had the time to read through this whole thread, but I was wondering if there are any must-have or cool widgets out there?

iStat Pro

looking for mac games

I am trying Eve Online but all the keyboard shortcuts on my Macbook just does the dim light or lower volume thing but not F1 F2 F3 as I need those keys in the game

I am not sure what I am doing wrong

now I have to go into bootcamp to try Drift City

I really need something on the mac side that I can play all the time without a huge learning curve for control options

bionic77

Trasher said:
If you travel or ever pick up anyone from the airport then FlightTracker is a must.

somnific

Smiles and Cries said:
looking for mac games

I am trying Eve Online but all the keyboard shortcuts on my Macbook just does the dim light or lower volume thing but not F1 F2 F3 as I need those keys in the game

I am not sure what I am doing wrong

now I have to go into bootcamp to try Drift City

I really need something on the mac side that I can play all the time without a huge learning curve for control options

this might help:

keyboard_function_system_preferences.png

movie_club

Hey, i have not been able to read through this thread but i need to buy an External Hard Drive. I was wondering which brand i should buy, Should it have FW...do i want a portable one? (im going to college). Also how do i set it up with Time Machine? Can i also store certain files only on the hard drive, as well as use time machine on it?

And a unrelated question- I put all my photos in iphoto. When i go to photobucket or facebook to upload an individual picture i can never find the iphoto folder. What am i doing wrong?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
movie_club said:
Hey, i have not been able to read through this thread but i need to buy an External Hard Drive. I was wondering which brand i should buy, Should it have FW...do i want a portable one? (im going to college). Also how do i set it up with Time Machine? Can i also store certain files only on the hard drive, as well as use time machine on it?

i do not know what brands might be good nowadays. but in my experience, FW is so much faster than USB. With FW you can also clone your whole harddrive to the external and then boot from that clone if there are any issues with your computer.

somnific

movie_club said:

And a unrelated question- I put all my photos in iphoto. When i go to photobucket or facebook to upload an individual picture i can never find the iphoto folder. What am i doing wrong?

there isn't a particular brand that sticks out for me and i generally keep one thing in mind: hard drives fail. consider getting two to clone your stuff. usb is fine for time machine, but like quadriplegicjon said, you can boot from a firewire drive. also, you will also be able to store files on that hard drive in addition to the time machine backups.

the way iphoto has stored pictures has varied with its different iterations, but you can always right click (control-click) a photo and select "Show File". this will bring up a window in finder where that picture is located and you can work from there.

VNZ

movie_club said:
The Western Digital MyBook Studio drives support FW800 (as well as USB and eSATA) and are awesome.

I'd recommend a separate partition for Time Machine. To my knowledge you can't set how much of the drive Time Machine will use, so sooner or later the Time Machine data will fill up the entire drive.

Jal

movie_club said:

It's not a normal folder, go into your pictures folder and right click on the iphoto library icon

20090823-b5u8khdnuqre2ws3c8kgwqswum.jpg

Then "show package contents".

You should be able to upload photo's to Facebook from within iphoto though.

20090823-k9wqj3cid5kssng2b3sjceshk5.jpg

giga

movie_club said:

Yes. Firewire > USB.

FW800: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J4R7U2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FW400: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1NAMO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And use whatever 3.5" internal drive with them.

movie_club

Jal said:
It's not a normal folder, go into your pictures folder and right click on the iphoto library icon

20090823-b5u8khdnuqre2ws3c8kgwqswum.jpg

Then "show package contents".

You should be able to upload photo's to Facebook from within iphoto though.

20090823-k9wqj3cid5kssng2b3sjceshk5.jpg
yea i have been uploading full albums through iphoto that way, but when i jsut want to add one picture it never shows

Jasoco

Banned
movie_club said:
yea i have been uploading full albums through iphoto that way, but when i jsut want to add one picture it never shows
You don't get a Photos option in the sidebar when you click the form element for choosing files?

30di5g8.jpg

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Man, this shit is ridiculous:

My friend and I had our iMac HDDs die on the same evening; I fixed mine myself because I'm out of warranty, but she has AppleCare on her white iMac, so she took it in for service.

Took her a _week_ to get it back, I came over about an hour after she got home with it and we notice that there is a small tear on the LCD panel. So she calls them, and the store she had to take it to gives her the number of the repair depot, and they say there's absolutely no way they could have done that. What a load of shit.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
pjberri said:
Man, this shit is ridiculous:

My friend and I had our iMac HDDs die on the same evening; I fixed mine myself because I'm out of warranty, but she has AppleCare on her white iMac, so she took it in for service.

Took her a _week_ to get it back, I came over about an hour after she got home with it and we notice that there is a small tear on the LCD panel. So she calls them, and the store she had to take it to gives her the number of the repair depot, and they say there's absolutely no way they could have done that. What a load of shit.

a week? o_O

my girlfriends harddrive crashed.. she brought it in, and it was ready the next day. this is also an extremely busy apple store. those people were slacking like crazy in your store.

Ashhong

quadriplegicjon said:
a week? o_O

my girlfriends harddrive crashed.. she brought it in, and it was ready the next day. this is also an extremely busy apple store. those people were slacking like crazy in your store.

sounds like they didnt even do it in store. i would call Apple directly and complain. definitely keep complaining. i think they are supposed to check the products before accepting it for repair arent they? they did for my laptop. if it came back with a dent that wasnt listed on the sheet then its their responsibility. like renting a car

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Ashhong said:
sounds like they didnt even do it in store. i would call Apple directly and complain. definitely keep complaining. i think they are supposed to check the products before accepting it for repair arent they? they did for my laptop. if it came back with a dent that wasnt listed on the sheet then its their responsibility. like renting a car
This is a very good point, I will tell her to mention this. She is writing them a formal complaint, because she is self-employed and this shit is costing her money. It's insane.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pro-tip guys:

the disk drive in MBP's are not like Wii disk drives. Don't stick mini-DVDs in them. I learnt that the hard way.

=|

Jasoco

Banned
So the Snow Leopard release has finally been announced. August 28th. All you n00b's with shiny new Macs with shiny new Intel processors, make sure you order this puppy or show up at any Mac retailer or store that sells Mac software and get your $29 upgrade copy. (Unless you were eligible for Up-To-Date and already signed up.)

kaskade

Anyone know if you can do the up to day snow leopard thing in store. I'm not going to be home for those couple of days and I will have my laptop and will be near an apple store. If not I'll just end up paying the 30 bucks.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
At this late in the game I would. What's less than a week?
not a big deal really, just got my student loan approved but won't actually get the money for another week or so anyway...mainly just want to get in while the student promo for the free ipod is going on (end 9/8)

GodfatherX said:
not a big deal really, just got my student loan approved but won't actually get the money for another week or so anyway...mainly just want to get in while the student promo for the free ipod is going on (end 9/8)

Ya, if you don't have the money yet anyhow I would just wait then. But try to do it ASAP or stay on top of it so it's not out of stock, unless you don't mind they shipping it to you. I always like going to the store to get it instantly but that's just me.

Okay, if I may interrupt the SL love for a sec, I have a question.

I have an Airport Express as well as an Extreme. For some insane reason, the condo I just moved into does not have a cable hookup in the second bedroom that I am using as an office, so my cable modem is in the living room. I bought the Airport Extreme so that I could network my hard drives and printers through it, but obviously, I don't want all of that hanging out in the living room. So I'm currently using the Express as a bridge, but I can't connect hard drives to that, only printers.

So my setup is such:

Cable modem > Airport Extreme > Aiport Express (bridge) > Printers

What I would like to do is this:

Cable modem > Airport Express > Airport Extreme (bridge) > Printers/Hard Dicks
lol

Is this possible? Everything seems to suggest that it should, but I can't find any documentation to back that up.

Edit:

You've got both products, try it out!

I've got two extreme's and an express, but I've never tried the setup you are suggesting so I can't say.

I should note that I did, in fact, try this, and it didn't work. So I'm trying to figure out if it's a limitation of the hardware or user error. I think it might be the latter, but before I wipe everything and start fresh, I figured I'd ask.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Battlezone said:
Okay, if I may interrupt the SL love for a sec, I have a question.

I have an Airport Express as well as an Extreme. For some insane reason, the condo I just moved into does not have a cable hookup in the second bedroom that I am using as an office, so my cable modem is in the living room. I bought the Airport Extreme so that I could network my hard drives and printers through it, but obviously, I don't want all of that hanging out in the living room. So I'm currently using the Express as a bridge, but I can't connect hard drives to that, only printers.

So my setup is such:

Cable modem > Airport Extreme > Aiport Express (bridge) > Printers

What I would like to do is this:

Cable modem > Airport Express > Airport Extreme (bridge) > Printers/Hard Dicks
lol

Is this possible? Everything seems to suggest that it should, but I can't find any documentation to back that up.
You've got both products, try it out!

I've got two extreme's and an express, but I've never tried the setup you are suggesting so I can't say.

Ok I have a problem. I just got a new MacBook Pro and I want to sell my old one but before I can I need to restore it to its factory settings. The problem is I've lost the OSX install disc that came with the MacBook. Is there a way to restore the MacBook without the disc or is there a way to burn a copy of the disc without having the original disc?

Blackhead

Redarse
How do I use Fluid to make a menulet Yahoo mail notifier?

Hellsing321 said:
Ok I have a problem. I just got a new MacBook Pro and I want to sell my old one but before I can I need to restore it to its factory settings. The problem is I've lost the OSX install disc that came with the MacBook. Is there a way to restore the MacBook without the disc or is there a way to burn a copy of the disc without having the original disc?
uhh how do you have a copy of the disk already? then any burning app will work. Or you could take it to an Apple store I guess and explain what you need

Jasoco

Banned
ThePeacemaker02 said:
Anyone know if you can do the up to day snow leopard thing in store. I'm not going to be home for those couple of days and I will have my laptop and will be near an apple store. If not I'll just end up paying the 30 bucks.
I'd call your local Apple Store/Mac retailer and ask them. I'm thinking probably not, at least with non Apple Store retailers. Maybe real Apple Stores would. Maybe.

Give them a call. Whoever is closest to you.

If not, you'll just have to wait a day or so for it to arrive in the mail unless they ship them to coincide with release day.

Quick question. I know to display my Macbook on my HDTV I just use a Mini-DVI to HDMI connector, but what if I want to display sound?

I've been looking on Google but all I can find are questions about displaying video.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Flying_Phoenix said:
Quick question. I know to display my Macbook on my HDTV I just use a Mini-DVI to HDMI connector, but what if I want to display sound?

I've been looking on Google but all I can find are questions about displaying video.
Your TV should have an AUX input. Get a 3.5mm male to male cable and you should be good to go with sound.

Top Bottom