• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Quick question. I know to display my Macbook on my HDTV I just use a Mini-DVI to HDMI connector, but what if I want to display sound?

I've been looking on Google but all I can find are questions about displaying video.
You'll need to run it to a receiver or other sound source. I don't think it's possible to recombine two discrete sound and video signals back into one HDMI cable.

kennah

Battlezone said:
Okay, if I may interrupt the SL love for a sec, I have a question.

I have an Airport Express as well as an Extreme. For some insane reason, the condo I just moved into does not have a cable hookup in the second bedroom that I am using as an office, so my cable modem is in the living room. I bought the Airport Extreme so that I could network my hard drives and printers through it, but obviously, I don't want all of that hanging out in the living room. So I'm currently using the Express as a bridge, but I can't connect hard drives to that, only printers.

So my setup is such:

Cable modem > Airport Extreme > Aiport Express (bridge) > Printers

What I would like to do is this:

Cable modem > Airport Express > Airport Extreme (bridge) > Printers/Hard Dicks
lol

Is this possible? Everything seems to suggest that it should, but I can't find any documentation to back that up.

Edit:

I should note that I did, in fact, try this, and it didn't work. So I'm trying to figure out if it's a limitation of the hardware or user error. I think it might be the latter, but before I wipe everything and start fresh, I figured I'd ask.

Express doesn't take a hard drive, only printer. This saddens me as well, but your extreme should take a hard drive, unless it's an older one that doesn't have the USB port built in. I'm really really hoping that a future firmware update for the Express adds USB hard drive and Time Machine functionality (but I think I'm going to have to keep dreaming)

Phobophile said:
You'll need to run it to a receiver or other sound source. I don't think it's possible to recombine two discrete sound and video signals back into one HDMI cable.

Yeah I already have a receiver. I just need to know what cable I need to hook it up to my RCA's to hook to my stereo.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah I already have a receiver. I just need to know what cable I need to hook it up to my RCA's to hook to my stereo.

RubxQub just explained it, you just need a 3.5mm to whatever your trying to input it into on your receiver.

Phobophile

Flying_Phoenix said:
Do you want RCA connections or optical? The output is a line out so it supports both analog and digital.

LCfiner

Flying_Phoenix said:
Oh I need a Y-adapter. I see thanks.

the headphone jack also works as an audio out

(you can also use USB for audio out but then you need another piece of equipment afterward)

LCfiner said:
the headphone jack also works as an audio out

(you can also use USB for audio out but then you need another piece of equipment afterward)

I see thanks. Not to be a pest, but what's the best route to go in terms of getting the best audio quality? USB or audio out? (I heard Firewire's great, but I heard that Apple may be dropping it for something better soon)

Phobophile

Flying_Phoenix said:
I see thanks. Not to be a pest, but what's the best route to go in terms of getting the best audio quality? USB or audio out? (I heard Firewire's great, but I heard that Apple may be dropping it for something better soon)
Utilize the line out. 3.5 mm to TOSLINK optical cable.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Phobophile said:
Utilize the line out. 3.5 mm to TOSLINK optical cable.

Just to clarify, it's a mini TOSLINK cable to regular TOSLINK. Mini TOSLNK is the same form factor as 3.5mm (ie regular headphone) jacks. You'll get a 100% pure digital sound. The only reason you'd need anything more is if you're producing music.

one thing that I still cannot fix on my new macbook

I moved users from my old powerbook to the macbook I cannot get rid of a pop up window asking for Keychain "Login" Password

hell I cannot remember the damn password

I cannot even remember the password for my iTunes account so I cannot play my old mp3s and movies I downloaded from iTunes

tried getting a new password from apple but cannot remember my secret question
now that .mac is .me even worst

So I guess thats two issues

Keychain login popups
and oops cannot play my iTunes :(

SnakeXs said:
Just to clarify, it's a mini TOSLINK cable to regular TOSLINK. Mini TOSLNK is the same form factor as 3.5mm (ie regular headphone) jacks. You'll get a 100% pure digital sound. The only reason you'd need anything more is if you're producing music.

Well I actually am producing music. :lol

Though I do it all through the computer so I doubt it'll matter much.

Anyway thanks guys.

EDIT - So basically 3.5mm to Mini TOSLINK and just plug it in to my TV or Receiver?

Phobophile

Flying_Phoenix said:

Anyway thanks guys.
I'd kinda think that a music producer would be familiarized with these types of connections.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Flying_Phoenix said:

Anyway thanks guys.

Well audio "quality" is still unaffected. If you weren't using a specific piece of hardware that needed FW/USB before, then mini TOSLINK will be all you need now.

I need some help. I bought my first mac earlier this morning and I'm in the process of setting everything up.

I cannot for the life of me get Vista and Leopard 'talking'. I have a shared windows printer and several shared drives on the windows desktop, but the mac will not find them.

I have turned all firewalls off, set sharing up on all computers, set the workgroup to the same name on all computers, but Leopard cannot find the Windows printer.

I have manually added the Windows shared drives by doing command+ k and typing in the location on the network. This seems to have worked but why could Leopard not find the shared folders/drives automatically and why can't it find the printer (I'm 99% sure that it's compatible.

I've followed a few guides and instructions online but it still hasn't fixed the problem.

Ionas

Ok, so I'm flabbergasted.

About a year ago the wireless card in my MBP crapped out and only receives a signal if you're more or less in the same room as the router (and even then it drops the network quite often). I just need some sort of wireless adapter (USB or...what's that other slot, PC?), anything really, but all the reputable stuff appears to be windows-only and the apple store doesn't seem to have anything of use.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Are the drives formatted as FAT32?

Are you trying to get the printer working by going printer -> Windows -> Mac, or are you trying printer -> Mac?

One of three drives was formatted to FAT32, but I can browse all three after I manually added them. I still have no idea why Leopard was not seeing them automatically.

The problem is with the Windows machines. I have had similar issues in the past. In the past I have always typed "\\HOME" on the other computers (HOME being the name of the windows desktop with the shared drives and printers) and then just installed the printer from there. How would I do this on the mac?

Btw, I was going to printer > add printer > windows. From there all of the options are greyed out and nothing happens at all.

I just ordered the 15" 2.66 Macbook Pro and it gets here thursday, so I haven't had a chance to mess around and this will be my first mac. I get Windows 7 free through my school so I plan on putting that on there via bootcamp. Do I need the 32bit or the 64bit version?

Edit: nvm going 64bit

Flying_Phoenix said:
Why didn't you wait a few more days so that you'd get Snow Leopard for free?

Well I ordered it last Friday and at that time I was under the impression snow leopard was a month away. I also need it for school.

liquid_gears said:
One of three drives was formatted to FAT32, but I can browse all three after I manually added them. I still have no idea why Leopard was not seeing them automatically.

The problem is with the Windows machines. I have had similar issues in the past. In the past I have always typed "\\HOME" on the other computers (HOME being the name of the windows desktop with the shared drives and printers) and then just installed the printer from there. How would I do this on the mac?

Btw, I was going to printer > add printer > windows. From there all of the options are greyed out and nothing happens at all.
Have you installed Bonjour on Windows? It comes with iTunes, I think. It's Apple's app for sharing things wirelessly without configuration.

movie_club

I can never do file transfers using adium, i always have to go into ichat. anyone know why?
also if im on ichat and adium all my ims only appear on ichat. again anyone know why?

Also is skype the best program to videochat?

Guys, my Girlfriend just got a macbook pro, now she went to the store and got a mini DVI port for the HDMI cable so she can hook it up to the tv, she likes watching films from her laptop and watch them on her tv.

now she aint getting any sound, so what does she need to buy to get sound on the tv??
there is headphone plugs on the laptop so we went and got a soundcable with headphone plug at one end and normal audio plugs at the end of the cable, but we still aint getting any sound...

do we have to get a soundsystem for the the laptop to get sound?

Phobophile

robertsan21 said:
Guys, my Girlfriend just got a macbook pro, now she went to the store and got a mini DVI port for the HDMI cable so she can hook it up to the tv, she likes watching films from her laptop and watch them on her tv.

now she aint getting any sound, so what does she need to buy to get sound on the tv??

or does she have to get a soundsystem for the mac as there is no otherway to get sound on the films exept from the laptopspeakers..but those suck and she wants better sound.
DVI is video-only so even if she gets an HDMI cable there's no audio signal to be carried. You'll need to take the sound from the line out to either a set of external PC speakers or to a receiver.

LCfiner

robertsan21 said:

there is headphone plugs on the laptop so we went and got a soundcable with headphone plug at one end and normal audio plugs at the end of the cable, but we still aint getting any sound...

there's a sound output where you plug in headphones, right? get a cable that goes from that to the TV speakers or your sound system setup.

you need audio cables, not a new sound system

RevoDS

robertsan21 said:

Unless she's picky about the song, she could always use the headphone jack to get the sound to the TV speakers...most HDTVs support these wires nowadays.

Edit: Owned. Twice.

LCfiner said:
there's a sound output where you plug in headphones, right? get a cable that goes from that to the TV speakers or your sound system setup.

you need audio cables, not a new sound system

we have one of those cables but there still is no sound...the tv is brand new..and has one red input and one white input for sound on the side.. and we got a cable with headphones plug at one point and white and red at the other end

robertsan21 said:
we have one of those cables but there still is no sound...the tv is brand new..and has one red input and one white input for sound on the side.. and we got a cable with headphones plug at one point and white and red at the other end
There may be a setting you need to change in your TV's menu to use analog sound instead of digital sound.

Also, some TVs require you to use a particular HDMI input, usually located right next to the analog sound inputs.

Phobophile

robertsan21 said:
If you use and HDMI cable going straight to the TV, then the sound has to be carried through it as well. The TV won't recognize the sound connected to any other RCA input as it's probably tied to a component or composite in. That's why I said you need an external sound source, such as some PC speakers or an audio receiver.

LCfiner

robertsan21 said:

ok, that's weird. try this. go to system preferences, sound and then click the tab for output. make sure the output device is "headphones" not "internal speakers". that should force the sound to go through the cable you get used by the TV speakers.

typically that happens automatically but maybe you need to do it manually for some reason.

if that doesn't work... double check the TV speaker settings and the cable with another piece of equipment. after that, I got no clue what it could be.

edit: as Liu Kang mentioned, mybe you need to force the TV (if possible) to use the red and white sound cables and not expect audio through the HDMI cable.

mrkgoo

I'm just going to give a shout out to two of my favourite apps that all Mac OSX users shouldn't be without:

Pacifist:

This app is shareware (US$20, but free with a 20 second delay on start up), but I'm on the brink of paying.

What it does is parses out .pkg installers. Drag a .pkg file onto it and it will tell you what and where it will install things. Handy to find out exactly what an installer will do. It can also verify those installations. You can also use it to extract single packages, typically used, for example, to extract a single app from the Mac OSX install disc (for example, you can reinstall JUST mail.app, if you are having issues with it). There's a couple of naughty things you can do with it too.

The latest version also comes with a quick look plug-in too.

1e6owi.png

------------------

TimeTracker:

Still a work in progress from the same developer (not even really beta - it doesn't have an icon!)

What it does is lists all your Time Machine backups, and how much space they're taking up. In addition, you can open each backup and see exactly which files were replaced (I don't have a screenshot of this, but you can imagine expanding out the folders on the right).

Handy to let you know what the Hell Time Machine is doing.

2nlvk9z.png

----------------

Both apps are available from http://www.charlessoft.com/

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
123xkzk.png

but seriously, some cool apps for power users.

Haha! My Backup history laid out for all to see.

If you want to know what they were, I was curious about why my window size wasn't sticking when I was browsing the iPhoto Library Package. SO I was going there and removing the .DS_Store files and stuff. You know, to experiment. What happens when you do that? It flags the entire iPhoto Library (80GB for me) as having made a change, so it backs up the entire thing on next Time Machine. I foolishly did it twice.

I eventually figured out that you have to delete the .DS_store in the folder ABOVE it to reset the window settings.

Burger

Smiles and Cries said:
one thing that I still cannot fix on my new macbook

I moved users from my old powerbook to the macbook I cannot get rid of a pop up window asking for Keychain "Login" Password

hell I cannot remember the damn password

I cannot even remember the password for my iTunes account so I cannot play my old mp3s and movies I downloaded from iTunes

tried getting a new password from apple but cannot remember my secret question
now that .mac is .me even worst

So I guess thats two issues

Keychain login popups
and oops cannot play my iTunes :(

Keychain login password is your user password. So if you login with the username 'Mike' and the password for Mike is 'Chicken', then the keychain login password is 'Chicken'.

If you open the Keychain Access utility, you can double click an item in there (say www.me.com) and click the show password box, and once again, enter your login password, and it will be revealed. Very useful if you forget the password to your router, websites etc..

Jasoco

Banned
robertsan21 said:
thanks guys, seems this damn tv can not change soundsettings.... I tell her to get a PC soundsystem for it.
What? Where the HDMI input is, is there not an RCA style audio input? There should be because not all HDMI devices send audio so it has to be there for the devices that don't.

You don't need a PC anything. You just need a Headphone to RCA cable.

mrkgoo said:
Haha! My Backup history laid out for all to see.

If you want to know what they were, I was curious about why my window size wasn't sticking when I was browsing the iPhoto Library Package. SO I was going there and removing the .DS_Store files and stuff. You know, to experiment. What happens when you do that? It flags the entire iPhoto Library (80GB for me) as having made a change, so it backs up the entire thing on next Time Machine. I foolishly did it twice.

I eventually figured out that you have to delete the .DS_store in the folder ABOVE it to reset the window settings.
Packages aren't treated the same as folders unfortunately. They don't remember your settings at all. And it is bullshit. I deal with packages all the time, and have to reset its view every goddamned time because OS X doesn't remember settings. But at least Snow Leopard is less restrictive than Leopard was with packages.

Phobophile

Jasoco said:
What? Where the HDMI input is, is there not an RCA style audio input? There should be because not all HDMI devices send audio so it has to be there for the devices that don't.

You don't need a PC anything. You just need a Headphone to RCA cable.
I've never seen an RCA audio input corresponding to an HDMI input on a TV.

mrkgoo

Kimosabae said:
Can anyone provide a good alternative to Pirate Bay?

-Kimo

edit: haha, I wasn't familiar with pirate bay, buy I just looked it up. Um, no. I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask that question.

Phobophile

Jasoco said:
2uzqbtv.jpg

It's not standard? Because my Polaroid has it. What brand is the original asker using?
It really isn't standard, since my first Samsung CRT HDTV didn't and so haven't other TVs. But I got a new Samsung DLP last September so I decided to take a look back there.

65e5b

Apparently the HDMI 3 is also the "DVI IN" and there's an RCA for DVI IN just above it.

Must be a fairly recent thing that manufacturers have been adding standard.

movie_club

movie_club said:
I can never do file transfers using adium, i always have to go into ichat. anyone know why?
also if im on ichat and adium all my ims only appear on ichat. again anyone know why?

Also is skype the best program to videochat?
anyone ?

Top Bottom