• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Ok, I bought a new MBP and I copied/pasted all of my music, movies and photos over from my old MacBook. I used to sync my iPod nano and iPhone to my old MacBook. When I plug in my iPod nano and iPhone, I receive the following message:

332cshi.jpg

Is there anyway to transfer this association without doing an "Erase and Sync"?

Ashhong

try copying and pasting all the itunes library files as well

Phobophile said:
It really isn't standard, since my first Samsung CRT HDTV didn't and so haven't other TVs. But I got a new Samsung DLP last September so I decided to take a look back there.

Apparently the HDMI 3 is also the "DVI IN" and there's an RCA for DVI IN just above it.

Must be a fairly recent thing that manufacturers have been adding standard.

theres a good chance your samsung does have it. the RCA inputs are sometimes not exclusive to the HDMI input though. my panny plasma uses the RCA inputs from Video 3 as my HDMI audio input. it says this in the instruction manual, not the back of the TV so its pretty hidden.

mrkgoo

Have you authorized your new computer to use your iTunes account?

iTunes -> Store ->Authorize.

Rather than just copy files over a better option perhaps was to use migration assistant which transfers files and settings too. I still think you need to reauthorise, though.

Basically, even though your files are on a new computer, your iPod thinks that it is a new iTunes. Since you have just copied everything over, it's possible a simple reauthorisation isn't enough, but try that first.

kryptikjoker said:
Ok, I bought a new MBP and I copied/pasted all of my music, movies and photos over from my old MacBook. I used to sync my iPod nano and iPhone to my old MacBook. When I plug in my iPod nano and iPhone, I receive the following message:

332cshi.jpg

Is there anyway to transfer this association without doing an "Erase and Sync"?

Try this.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ashhong said:
theres a good chance your samsung does have it. the RCA inputs are sometimes not exclusive to the HDMI input though. my panny plasma uses the RCA inputs from Video 3 as my HDMI audio input. it says this in the instruction manual, not the back of the TV so its pretty hidden.
Well yeah, it does. The picture I uploaded the part I encircled confirmed it.

Jasoco

Banned
Did you make sure to copy over the entire ~/Music/iTunes/ folder too? The Library file defines your iTunes library. Not just the music. Copy that over and as long as all the music is in the same place it should recognize it as the same Library. (Will probably still require an authorization for bought music. Make sure you deauthorize the other computer if you are not going to be using it anymore.)

Personally, I would have just either swapped the old HD into the new computer, or connected the new MBP via FireWire and done target mode and cloned the old HD to the new HD to get an exact clone.

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Ok, so I got a 13" Pro last week and the battery seems to be getting weaker by the minute. Started off lasting 4 hours on a charge, now it's down to about 1 hour if I'm lucky.

On top of that my internal clock keeps resetting itself whenever the battery does run out. I'm thinking i might try a clean install of Leopard, but I doubt that would do much. Applecare are a bit useless, they want me to go to my nearest store, which isn't hugely possible at the moment.

Any advice?

mrkgoo

Alex Dee said:
Ok, so I got a 13" Pro last week and the battery seems to be getting weaker by the minute. Started off lasting 4 hours on a charge, now it's down to about 1 hour if I'm lucky.

On top of that my internal clock keeps resetting itself whenever the battery does run out. I'm thinking i might try a clean install of Leopard, but I doubt that would do much. Applecare are a bit useless, they want me to go to my nearest store, which isn't hugely possible at the moment.

Any advice?

Sounds like a hardware thing. A bung battery. Really, you should go to your nearest store. How is Applecare not helpful?

Some other minor trouble shooting issues also include calibrating your battery and resetting pram, but still sounds like a mis-seated or bad battery.

Alex Dee said:

Any advice?

? I'm pretty sure you can call them and get a request to send it in if you don't want to drive but it's only going to take longer that way... I'm not sure what you dislike about apple care.

Okay guys I have a question to ask but I have a feeling that it could cause some backlash as I think it could have been asked a million times (though I can't find it on Google). But anyway here it is.

Why did Apple switch from PowerPC to Intel? I mean from my understanding due to the RISC architecture PowerPC was more powerful than x86, so what happened? Did x86 somehow get an edge or some other stuff happened?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Okay guys I have a question to ask but I've been kinda scared to ask it as I am afraid that it will cause some MASSIVE backlash and what not. But I've decided to take the risk so here it is...

Why did Apple switch from PowerPC to Intel? I mean from my understanding due to the RISC architecture PowerPC was more powerful than x86, so what happened? Did x86 somehow get an edge or some other stuff happened?

IIRC, the official statement was that the ppc chips weren't good enough for their notebooks. Too much heat and power consumption.

This article talks about x86 vs. ppc
http://www.osnews.com/story/3997/Analysis_x86_Vs_PPC

LCfiner

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
IIRC, the official statement was that the ppc chips weren't good enough for their notebooks. Too much heat and power consumption.

Bingo. Their notebooks weren't exactly keeping up in speed with Windows laptops as the G4 chip was stagnant and the G5 chip, used in the desktops, required way too much power to fit in a notebook.

I still remember the switchover controversy and how so many blogs, before the reveal, said it was impossible, that Apple couldn't, wouldn't do such a thing, blah blah blah.

so funny, in retrospect.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Okay guys I have a question to ask but I've been kinda scared to ask it as I am afraid that it will cause some MASSIVE backlash and what not. But I've decided to take the risk so here it is...

I don't see why there would be a backlash.

It was due to cost and power. Intel were headed towards multicore and energy efficiency, both something that Apple saw were in their roadmap and vision. They considered PPC to be lagging in those areas.

Apple's business heavily leans on the portable market. The laptops at that time never moved out of G4 processors due to heat and energy consumption. It became a running joke when a G5 laptop would be released.

IBM kept promising they would eventually reach 3GHz, where Intel processor's were getting there and moving beyond with multicore, and advances in portable processors.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, it allowed a 'switch' to more easily be made by users by offering native Windows support.

Apple history, huh? I remember when you were all, "tell me the differences between the three OSes", and people struggling to really describe what it was like. I guess now you know what it's like - can you see ho hard it is to describe why you like it now? Also how EASY it is to become 'one of the Apple Fanboys'.

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
To most people online, you become an Apple fanboy when you have a single post about Apple anywhere that doesn't include you shitting on them.

Pretty much. I'll admit to being pretty diehard, but as soon as you even look at an iPod, people like to think you're a hipster.

Easy to become an Apple Fanboy also means it's easy to be labelled as one.

That said, Apple enthusiasm IS pretty strong, and that has manifested many times as something over the top. Apple hating is just the same - people tend to be labelled Apple-haters a bit quickly, so the two sides always rage and escalate very rapidly. The more rapid, the more easily it's noticed, perpetuating the stereotype for both sides.

mrkgoo said:
I don't see why there would be a backlash.

It was due to cost and power. Intel were headed towards multicore and energy efficiency, both something that Apple saw were in their roadmap and vision. They considered PPC to be lagging in those areas.

Apple's business heavily leans on the portable market. The laptops at that time never moved out of G4 processors due to heat and energy consumption. It became a running joke when a G5 laptop would be released.

IBM kept promising they would eventually reach 3GHz, where Intel processor's were getting there and moving beyond with multicore, and advances in portable processors.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, it allowed a 'switch' to more easily be made by users by offering native Windows support.

Oh I see. It's obvious that Apple started focusing on portable computing and cheaper costs. I mean just look how the Macbook is the best selling Mac ever.

Though one more question. Say if Apple never did the switch and we were using G7's right now, would they be more powerful than Intel i7's and i5's?

mrkgoo said:
Apple history, huh? I remember when you were all, "tell me the differences between the three OSes", and people struggling to really describe what it was like.

And they yelled at me for not understanding.
cry.GIF

mrkgoo said:
I guess now you know what it's like - can you see ho hard it is to describe why you like it now? Also how EASY it is to become 'one of the Apple Fanboys'.

Yeah I see what you mean. And yeah I probably won't go back to the PC. Actually I just came back from Sams Club today and cringed at the laptops (WTF is up with those trackpads?) as well as Windows Vista.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Actually I just came back from Sams Club today and cringed at the laptops (WTF is up with those trackpads?)
I'm dying for a cheap PC with a huge and responsive trackpad. Even ignoring how uselessly small all of them are, I've never found one that actually responded as well as the Macs. I can't control the mouse cursor or scrolling as well as it should be.

And going further into this discussion about how easy it is to be an Apple fanboy: no one ever believes you when you tell them the Mac trackpad is on another planet in quality. They've never used one to have the frame of reference for just how bad most PC trackpads are.

LCfiner

I'm dying for a cheap PC with a huge and responsive trackpad. Even ignoring how uselessly small all of them are, I've never found one that actually responded as well as the Macs. I can't control the mouse cursor or scrolling as well as it should be.

And going further into this discussion about how easy it is to be an Apple fanboy: no one ever believes you when you tell them the Mac trackpad is on another planet in quality.

at work, every single person I have ever seen in a meeting with a company issued POS Dell laptop also has a wired travel mouse with them as the trackpads are shit.

and some also carry around power adapters with them all day since the batteries in these things can barely last 2 hours.

Oh, and everyone walks around with these laptops with the lids half closed because, GOD FORBID, one of them were to fall into sleep mode and be unable to regain connection to the wifi network.

it would crack me up if it weren’t so sad. the annoyances we put up with to try to get some work done.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Thanks.

And going further into this discussion about how easy it is to be an Apple fanboy: no one ever believes you when you tell them the Mac trackpad is on another planet in quality. They've never used one to have the frame of reference for just how bad most PC trackpads are.

It's not just how responsive and accurate they are, but how they feel as well.

I mean using a non-mac trackpad feels like putting your finger on a metal slide that hasn't been used all day. It's like there is no friction at all and it feels so unsmooth.

I like to think what Apple lacks under the hood, they make up for it with the build quality of everything else (well in terms of price comparisons).

Guled

for some reason my macbook pro charger seems to charge it randomly. One day it actually charge the macbook, on others it will just power it. This is the same on different plugs. Is there a problem with my charger, or battery?

No joke here. I have used just about every single main brand PC laptop out at the moment, and I hate their trackpads so hard. In terms of mobile use, Mac laptops are fantastic. I did come across one PC laptop a couple years ago that I liked and had what I thought was a decent trackpad...

It was a Samsung from South Korea :(

(Samsung doesn't sell their laptops in the U.S.) edit: wait wtf they do now...WHERE

Flying_Phoenix said:
They have some at Amazon.

And man these computers are a bargain.

:lol yeah I saw some of those. They are pretty thin, and very, very light. Still the design now looks a bit different than the one I had used. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to play around with (though I doubt it would sway me from the MBP I've had in my sights). The one I had used had a butter-smooth glossy-feeling (but precise) trackpad along with a nice keyboard. That and it was quite light.

thesoapster said:
:lol yeah I saw some of those. They are pretty thin, and very, very light. Still the design now looks a bit different than the one I had used. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to play around with (though I doubt it would sway me from the MBP I've had in my sights). The one I had used had a butter-smooth glossy-feeling (but precise) trackpad along with a nice keyboard. That and it was quite light.

Did you try Samsung's site? It has all of their laptops/netbooks on there.

Also speaking about weight and MBP, am I the only one who thinks that the Macbook Pro weighs more than it should be; I mean because it's so thin and all?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Also speaking about weight and MBP, am I the only one who thinks that the Macbook Pro weighs more than it should be; I mean because it's so thin and all?

It's the lightest computer I've seen with comparable specs. I don't know how they do it for years but not even one competitor can come close.

Flying_Phoenix said:

Also speaking about weight, am I the only one who thinks that the Macbook Pro weighs more than it should be; I mean because it's so thin and all?

Yeah, I did. That's how I found out. For the longest time they were not available here (and even now I don't think you could go try them at the store; I couldn't find them on Best Buy's site for instance).

The MBP is a lot lighter than the class of "power user" laptops in my experience. Most of the plastic Dells I work on tend to be a bit heavier. Yeah, I know they're thin and all, but they do have a good bit of hardware in there. The unibody chassis is pretty damned cool. Watch the video if you haven't seen it.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:

Do you mean it feels heavier than it looks? If so, then yes, they do seem pretty dense. Might be an illusion though, since they appear pretty thin. Some really good industrial design going on there. It's like a GameCube - that thing felt heavier than it looked.

It's the lightest computer I've seen with comparable specs. I don't know how they do it for years but not even one competitor can come close.

Hmm that's true it has VERY high specs for how thin it is.

mrkgoo said:
Do you mean it feels heavier than it looks? If so, then yes, they do seem pretty dense. Might be an illusion though, since they appear pretty thin. Some really good industrial design going on there. It's like a GameCube - that thing felt heavier than it looked.

Yeah that's what I mean.

LCfiner

Flying_Phoenix said:

I got the new 13” and it feels just right to me as I know what to expect from a laptop.

But, when I’ve handed it over to my parents, who know almost nothing of computers, they’ve both remarked to me separately at how heavy it is to them. they’re surprised by the weight as they have no real basis for comparison and they think it should weigh around 3 pounds or less based on the size.

they’re dense little suckers (the laptops).

Flying_Phoenix said:

My MBP 17" unibody is lighter than my first-gen Intel MBP, and even then, I found that old one pretty darn light.

Ashhong

to be fair, i hate any trackpad that isnt the unibodys glass one. i even hate the old ibook trackpads more than dell, man that thing is shit. i cant do anything with that

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well I paid only $30 more my Mac RAM from Apple's site that was also 4GB that had much nearly double the MHZ and was DDR3 so I'm gonna say no. You can probably find a better deal.

It doesn't necessarily work like that. I remember when I was shopping around for RAM for my MBP that used ddr2. My friend was looking to upgrade his PC that used ddr1 RAM. A 2GB stick of ddr2 was universally cheaper than a 1GB ddr1. Im guessing because the computer parts were simply more obsolete and harder to find by that stage. I was disgusted he had to pay so much for RAM, so I sold him my old PowerBook 1GB for a cheap price (and took his old 512).

Garou

Flying_Phoenix said:
Okay guys I have a question to ask but I have a feeling that it could cause some backlash as I think it could have been asked a million times (though I can't find it on Google). But anyway here it is.

Steve answers your question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdTqnYnFyg

I was finally able to replace my mighty mouse with another mouse yesterday...

My god, I realized how much the mighty mouse is complete shit after using this new one. I was able to get this mouse for $20, and the mighty mouse is, what, $50 at the very least?

Alright I think I get it now. The market was moving toward all-in-one monitor like PC's as well as laptops (especially). And PowerPC takes up far more energy consumption per performance watt than Intel.

So in short they could have a Macbook and iMac using an Intel processor that would be more Powerful than the one using a PowerPC processor due to the fact that the Intel could handle more power while being energy efficient while the PowerPC could not. Yes the PowerPC has more power but there's no point in using it if it can't reach a certain level because it becomes too hot.

So in short the transition of intel gave the ability for laptops and all-in-one desktops to be much thinner and lighter and have good performance as well. While with the PowerPC that wouldn't be possible. So the only bad thing the transition was to the workstations (I.E. PowerMacs and MacPros) which weren't were the money was anyway.

LCfiner

Dax01 said:

My god, I realized how much the mighty mouse is complete shit after using this new one. I was able to get this mouse for $20, and the mighty mouse is, what, $50 at the very least?

anyone else find it somewhat interesting that Apple makes the best trackpads but the absolute worst mice?

shows how their attention is divided.

and, yeah, Flying_phoenix, you pretty much got it.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Alright I think I get it now. The market was moving toward all-in-one monitor like PC's as well as laptops (especially). And PowerPC takes up far more energy consumption per performance watt than Intel.

So in short they could have a Macbook and iMac using an Intel processor that would be more Powerful than the one using a PowerPC processor due to the fact that the Intel could handle more power while being energy efficient while the PowerPC could not. Yes the PowerPC has more power but there's no point in using it if it can't reach a certain level because it becomes too hot.

So in short the transition of intel gave the ability for laptops and all-in-one desktops to be much thinner and lighter and have good performance as well. While with the PowerPC that wouldn't be possible. So the only bad thing the transition was to the workstations (I.E. PowerMacs and MacPros) which weren't were the money was anyway.

Partially. I don't think the entire market was headed towards all-in-one - that's an Apple thing (and others kind of follow suit when they see how Apple do it).

It's not about a straight comparison for the time - they have to look at the future of each platform and plan ahead. They probably know what they're doing for the next 5 years.

If they stuck with PPC, the laptop line would be much more stagnant. When they introduced OS X, they probably had plans for going either way (researching processor independence, compiling for all types etc), and as it approached 5 years in, it was becoming increasingly apparent that PPC wasn't going to take them where they wanted to go, whereas Intel could.

The transition was actually REALLY fast and efficient, due to all the planning. The rabid Apple fanboys also played a part in quick adoption - they introduced new designs into the intel MacBooks for example, and changed the names. A swift efficient cross in marketing. Pretty amazing, really. Aluminium iMacs weren't far behind.

mrkgoo said:
Partially. I don't think the entire market was headed towards all-in-one - that's an Apple thing (and others kind of follow suit when they see how Apple do it).

It's not about a straight comparison for the time - they have to look at the future of each platform and plan ahead. They probably know what they're doing for the next 5 years.

If they stuck with PPC, the laptop line would be much more stagnant. When they introduced OS X, they probably had plans for going either way (researching processor independence, compiling for all types etc), and as it approached 5 years in, it was becoming increasingly apparent that PPC wasn't going to take them where they wanted to go, whereas Intel could.

The transition was actually REALLY fast and efficient, due to all the planning. The rabid Apple fanboys also played a part in quick adoption - they introduced new designs into the intel MacBooks for example, and changed the names. A swift efficient cross in marketing. Pretty amazing, really. Aluminium iMacs weren't far behind.

Ahh I see.

Well I just notice that most modern desktops are either all-in-ones or have very small towers.

Yeah I just was curious as I was researching the PowerPC architecture and was fascinated by it. Ease up the coding for higher performance, sounded ingenious to me. But I knew it couldn't be all good.

I also loved the idea of Apple using different hardware to make them more unique and what not, but that's just me. I wonder when/if they'll switch again who it would be to?

koam

Dax01 said:

.... which mouse?

NekoFever

Dax01 said:

I use a Mighty Mouse at work and hate it; at some point I'll get around to buying a cheap USB mouse to use instead. I work with InDesign, which makes the scroll ball useful - lots of horizontal scrolling as well as vertical - but it gets gummed up so often that it's more of a pain. It can right-click in a way, but you have to have your left finger off it for it to work, which is a behaviour I've never bothered to teach myself. If you push it forwards so that the cable touches the front of the mouse it becomes impossible to click it because of how the button part is shaped. Oh, and just this week the side buttons, which I had set up to control the 'show desktop' Expose function, became sufficiently loose that a light breeze can activate them, so picking up the mouse without showing the desktop is impossible without contorting my hand.

Ugh...

Ironically, my favourite mouse for my Mac at home has always been my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth. Always made me laugh that it worked straight away with OS X, but I had to install software and drivers to make it work when I was on Windows.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Ahh I see.

Well I just notice that most modern desktops are either all-in-ones or have very small towers.
This is something Apple was forward-thinking on, but PC gamer types don't understand. No one likes computer towers. We just tolerated it because it was the only way to get a computer then.

Now you only see towers in use with workstations, gaming computers, and cheap PCs, and I think we can all see that when all-in-ones are cheap enough, they'll replace the cheap towers some people use right now. Dell already has a sweet $600 all-in-one.

Right now it's an understandable argument that it kind of sucks to throw away the monitor with the computer when you replace an iMac, but in time the components will be so cheap it won't even matter. We already have 24" monitors for $150.

Top Bottom