• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

panda21

NekoFever said:
I use a Mighty Mouse at work and hate it; at some point I'll get around to buying a cheap USB mouse to use instead. I work with InDesign, which makes the scroll ball useful - lots of horizontal scrolling as well as vertical - but it gets gummed up so often that it's more of a pain. It can right-click in a way, but you have to have your left finger off it for it to work, which is a behaviour I've never bothered to teach myself. If you push it forwards so that the cable touches the front of the mouse it becomes impossible to click it because of how the button part is shaped. Oh, and just this week the side buttons, which I had set up to control the 'show desktop' Expose function, became sufficiently loose that a light breeze can activate them, so picking up the mouse without showing the desktop is impossible without contorting my hand.

Ugh...

Ironically, my favourite mouse for my Mac at home has always been my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth. Always made me laugh that it worked straight away with OS X, but I had to install software and drivers to make it work when I was on Windows.

i can't stand the mighty mouse, it looks nice and simple, but those stupid side buttons are really uncomfortable and the right click is so unreliable

this is the mouse of the gods:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005853Z/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and its only $239! (i think its discontinued or something, i bought mine for like $50)

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This is something Apple was forward-thinking on, but PC gamer types don't understand. No one likes computer towers. We just tolerated it because it was the only way to get a computer then.

Now you only see towers in use with workstations, gaming computers, and cheap PCs, and I think we can all see that when all-in-ones are cheap enough, they'll replace the cheap towers some people use right now. Dell already has a sweet $600 all-in-one.

Right now it's an understandable argument that it kind of sucks to throw away the monitor with the computer when you replace an iMac, but in time the components will be so cheap it won't even matter. We already have 24" monitors for $150.

Pretty much. Not to mention high-end PC gaming (actually come to think of it high-end gaming in general) is fading away due to the high cost of development and most game players preferring less ambitious game design. I mean as of now the only appeal of high end specs are for gamers who want to play their games maxed out and media producers who can't stand waiting for rendering or use very sophisticated techniques.

Also, let's face it, the gap between high-end desktops and laptops are closing as intel (who has like 80% of the CPU market) is focusing on making mobile processors. The Core i7 processors are a prime example of this. The i7 launched less than a year ago and was by far and wide the most powerful PC processor. And even today there are few desktops that don't use Duo processors (let alone i7). Yet by next year intel will release mobile i7-like processors which Apple will most likely include in their Macbooks.

However looking at the market it seems that even laptops won't be the king of computing for too long. With things like the iPod, iPhone, and Blackberry; it seems that people want computing in a more portable form. People have been saying for sometime that eventually all media (watching TV, listening to music, etc.) will be done by computers. Ironically it looks to be the opposite, as it seems that all computers will be done by media devices. I much imagine in the not so distant future we'd see more expanded media devices like the Zune HD and Apple TV that focus on supply and keeping track of our media that will have very strong app support. While things such as laptops and netbooks will be used for organizations as well as some more serious software hobbies (well mostly for laptops). And desktops will just be workstations for professionals.

Well that's what I predict anyway. So that's why I was wondering to whom Apple would switch to then, if that happens.

Oops I'm rambling on again. :embarrassed face

Alucrid

Banned
So right about now I'm thinking it would be nice to hook up my macbook pro to my HDTV, for the new macbooks is it just getting a mini DVI -> DVI and a DVI -> HDMI?

Alucrid said:
So right about now I'm thinking it would be nice to hook up my macbook pro to my HDTV, for the new macbooks is it just getting a mini DVI -> DVI and a DVI -> HDMI?

monoprice makes a cheap mini-display port to HDMI out. I got it and it works great!

Remember that audio comes from the headphone jack only though, so get cables for that too.

The Mighty Mouse sucks, but the right-click works as advertised all the time.
Unless you're left-handed in which case the right click is fucking useless. I just bought a Mighty Mouse this weekend and it's going back to the Apple store on Monday because it's almost impossible to right-click with your left hand without taking your hand almost entirely off the mouse.

I love Apple design but they were trying to be way too clever for their own good with the Mighty Mouse. Just give me a fucking second button or it's Logitech that will continue to get my business, not you.

Alucrid

Banned
Fyodor Dostoevsky said:
monoprice makes a cheap mini-display port to HDMI out. I got it and it works great!

Remember that audio comes from the headphone jack only though, so get cables for that too.

Oh, thanks for the info. For sound what would that be? Headphone in -> audio R/W?

Actually my mac book has a mini displayport and monoprice has a mini displayport -> hdmi cable, does that provide audio for me?

This is something Apple was forward-thinking on, but PC gamer types don't understand. No one likes computer towers. We just tolerated it because it was the only way to get a computer then.

Now you only see towers in use with workstations, gaming computers, and cheap PCs, and I think we can all see that when all-in-ones are cheap enough, they'll replace the cheap towers some people use right now. Dell already has a sweet $600 all-in-one.

Right now it's an understandable argument that it kind of sucks to throw away the monitor with the computer when you replace an iMac, but in time the components will be so cheap it won't even matter. We already have 24" monitors for $150.

I think PC Gamers understand but they're just still stuck in that same place. I'd kill for an iMac type design or a small tower pc but since I game on it, it's still more worthwhile to have a regular tower pc than to buy the alternative especially at the rate pc games change. I can't wait for the day to have a pc like that but still be able to game comfortably.

Edit: Speaking of stupid things by apple... Why have they still not released a wireless keyboard with a numpad on it? I love their minimalist keyboard but I can't go back to wired and can't live without a numpad. :(

Sanjuro

Yeah, something is still wrong with my torrents in Snow Leopard / Transmission. All I can do is complain to the Internets. This sucks.

Nothing will start or go fast. There has to be something cockblocking it.

Need some help here.

If I were to get an eSATA adapter such as this, and pair it with my already eSATA capable Lacie drive, will the performance of the harddrive be faster than the 5400RPM drive that's in my Macbook? I edit a lot in Lightroom and if the adapter helps (only $30 ish) I might just go buy one and work from my external Lacie.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
my airport has been spotty as well. it seems to have issues connecting to my network when i first turn on the computer or return from sleep. it wasn't like this before. anyone else having these issues?

is there a place where i can report the problem?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
quadriplegicjon said:
my airport has been spotty as well. it seems to have issues connecting to my network when i first turn on the computer or return from sleep. it wasn't like this before. anyone else having these issues?
Seeing the same thing.

I've reset my routers daily since updating to SL. I used to be running InsomniaX, so this was never really an issue in the past for me.

Now that I'm forced to put my computer to sleep when closing the lid I've noticed these network hitches as well.

Edit: Hmm...it appears as though there is an old version of Insomniax that works:
http://www.macupdate.com/users/andrewhaji

I just had to fool around in network diagnostics, so yeah I can see what you guys mean.

On the bright side, I guess we can hope these sort of things are fixed for 10.6.1 :p

mrkgoo

RubxQub said:
Seeing the same thing.

I've reset my routers daily since updating to SL. I used to be running InsomniaX, so this was never really an issue in the past for me.

Now that I'm forced to put my computer to sleep when closing the lid I've noticed these network hitches as well.

Edit: Hmm...it appears as though there is an old version of Insomniax that works:
http://www.macupdate.com/users/andrewhaji

My wifi access has been superb since updating to 10.5.8. Instant connections.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
mrkgoo said:
I'm running 10.6 and it's been less than desirable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gary Whitta said:
Unless you're left-handed in which case the right click is fucking useless. I just bought a Mighty Mouse this weekend and it's going back to the Apple store on Monday because it's almost impossible to right-click with your left hand without taking your hand almost entirely off the mouse.

I love Apple design but they were trying to be way too clever for their own good with the Mighty Mouse. Just give me a fucking second button or it's Logitech that will continue to get my business, not you.
I always just disabled the two-button mechanism as well as the side buttons, so it was basically a one button mouse with scroll ball. Now I just use my trusty old Logitech MX300 with USB Overdrive, and I couldn't be happier.

A pox on Logitech for discontinuing the MX300, by the way.

Hitokage said:
I always just disabled the two-button mechanism as well as the side buttons, so it was basically a one button mouse with scroll ball. Now I just use my trusty old Logitech MX300 with USB Overdrive, and I couldn't be happier.

A pox on Logitech for discontinuing the MX300, by the way.
I guess that's fine if all you want is a one-button mouse, but I used PCs for too long to think that ctrl-clicking was any way to live in the 21st century. I know Jobs thinks that the fewer buttons there are in the world the better a place it is but sometimes an extra button is just plain better.

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:

When you say right-click on a left-handed mouse, do you mean physically right-click (as in the physical right button, meaning your pointer finger and primary click), or do you mean "contextual" right-click (equivalent of ctrlclick)?

So is the default left-click when you have both fingers down built-in to the hardware? or does it 'flip' when you move over to left-handed mode?

mrkgoo said:
Yeah. 10.5.8 was fantastic. I almost think that they retro-released the improvement they made with Snow Leopard to Leopard users with 10.5.8.

Maximus.

i hope apple releases a new version of the mighty mouse whenever they decide to revamp the iMacs. I think the mighty mouses now are ok, but they could be leaps and bounds better.

MrSeaneyC

I haven't had any network problems at all with my Rev A air, apart from a strange period where DHCP wouldn't pick up an address for about a week.

Put SL on the other day and it's been fine. I am using an Airport Extreme and and Express as a repeater, both set to 5Ghz N.

You guys having problems with Transmission might want to try out uTorrent. It's been working great for me under SL, although I haven't tried Transmission yet.

mrkgoo said:
When you say right-click on a left-handed mouse, do you mean physically right-click (as in the physical right button, meaning your pointer finger and primary click), or do you mean "contextual" right-click (equivalent of ctrlclick)?

So is the default left-click when you have both fingers down built-in to the hardware? or does it 'flip' when you move over to left-handed mode?
I use the mouse in my left hand and I use my middle finger to left click and index finger to ctrl-click for contextual menus and stuff. The problem with the mighty mouse is that the entire surface of the shell is a touch-sensitive sensor and if even the slightest part of your hand is touching the left side of the mouse it will register a left click even if you're clicking on the right side. The only way for me to get a right click is to lift my hand off the mouse so the finger that's doing the right-click is the only part that's actually touching it. Ridiculous.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Pretty much. Not to mention high-end PC gaming (actually come to think of it high-end gaming in general) is fading away due to the high cost of development and most game players preferring less ambitious game design. I mean as of now the only appeal of high end specs are for gamers who want to play their games maxed out and media producers who can't stand waiting for rendering or use very sophisticated techniques.

Also, let's face it, the gap between high-end desktops and laptops are closing as intel (who has like 80% of the CPU market) is focusing on making mobile processors. The Core i7 processors are a prime example of this. The i7 launched less than a year ago and was by far and wide the most powerful PC processor. And even today there are few desktops that don't use Duo processors (let alone i7). Yet by next year intel will release mobile i7-like processors which Apple will most likely include in their Macbooks.

However looking at the market it seems that even laptops won't be the king of computing for too long. With things like the iPod, iPhone, and Blackberry; it seems that people want computing in a more portable form. People have been saying for sometime that eventually all media (watching TV, listening to music, etc.) will be done by computers. Ironically it looks to be the opposite, as it seems that all computers will be done by media devices. I much imagine in the not so distant future we'd see more expanded media devices like the Zune HD and Apple TV that focus on supply and keeping track of our media that will have very strong app support. While things such as laptops and netbooks will be used for organizations as well as some more serious software hobbies (well mostly for laptops). And desktops will just be workstations for professionals.

Well that's what I predict anyway. So that's why I was wondering to whom Apple would switch to then, if that happens.

Oops I'm rambling on again. :embarrassed face

High end PC gaming is not disseapearing. It's the same it's always been.

Shit, I need torrents to work this weekend. Need to grab some stuff. I use transmission, but will give utorrent a try if things are kosher by saturday.

Gary Whitta said:
I use the mouse in my left hand and I use my middle finger to left click and index finger to ctrl-click for contextual menus and stuff. The problem with the mighty mouse is that the entire surface of the shell is a touch-sensitive sensor and if even the slightest part of your hand is touching the left side of the mouse it will register a left click even if you're clicking on the right side. The only way for me to get a right click is to lift my hand off the mouse so the finger that's doing the right-click is the only part that's actually touching it. Ridiculous.
You're a unique case. Most lefties put the "left-click" on their index finger. So "right-clicking" would be as easy as lifting the index finger, same as how right-handed people use it.

Anyway, that mouse is still shit.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Gary Whitta said:

That thing is worse than the original iMac/G3 mouse. At least the dome piece of shit doesn't tease you with functionality.

Logitech 4 life.

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:

Ah, I see. So really it's the same problem as everyone else has with right-clcik (contextual), just you have the added disadvantage of having more hand on the mouse, so to speak.

Regardless, I think I'm the only person who doesn't mind the mouse so much, right clicking wise. I used to have the problem with right clicking more often than I needed because I tend to grip the mouse too low.

I don't rest my entire hand on the mouse as if it were a hand rest. That's kind of painful for me. I lightly grip the sides and just curl my fingers down on the buttons (like a piano).

Anyway, my issue with the mighty mouse is the scroll ball getting dirty and the cord getting under the edge of the mouse preventing clicks (it wedges and the case from depressing).

I prefer a trackpad, though. I have the early 08 with a separate button, and it's godly.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
High end PC gaming is not disseapearing. It's the same it's always been.

There are obviously far less creame of the crop PC games today than there were some years ago. I'm not talking about stuff like Devil May Cry 4 or Dead Space, but more so stuff like Crysis.

Flying_Phoenix said:
There are obviously far less creame of the crop PC games today than there were some years ago. I'm not talking about stuff like Devil May Cry 4 or Dead Space, but more so stuff like Crysis.

No. It's exactly the same. You've been reading too much fud.

Squeak

Ok, two questions:

Some programs when you've closed all the windows, will not open a new window when you press the icon in the dock and while it's still marked as running. You only get the control bar at the top of the screen. The only way to get a new window, is by quitting and restarting the program.
Isn't that kind of daft?

I'm using Firefox and I keep getting these damn Party Poker popups in the background. It seems there are no spyware cleaners for OSX (and no it isn't on the popup exceptions list). What do I do?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Squeak said:
Ok, two questions:

Some programs when you've closed all the windows, will not open a new window when you press the icon in the dock and while it's still marked as running. You only get the control bar at the top of the screen. The only way to get a new window, is by quitting and restarting the program.
Isn't that kind of daft?

I'm using Firefox and I keep getting these damn Party Poker popups in the background. It seems there are no spyware cleaners for OSX (and no it isn't on the popup exceptions list). What do I do?
Are you using Adblock Plus or some other extension? Might as well if you're sticking yourself with Firefox.

LCfiner

Squeak said:
Ok, two questions:

Isn't that kind of daft?

go to the menu bar at the top of the screen. go to file. click on “new window”. or CMD-N. or right click on the dock icon and choose new window. you never have to restart an app to get a window

party poker pop ups are windows, not malware. just hit CMD-W to shut them down. not much else can be done, as far as I know.

Squeak said:
Ok, two questions:

Isn't that kind of daft?

Stupid LCFiner beats me again. :(

mrkgoo

Squeak said:
Ok, two questions:

Isn't that kind of daft?

As LCFiner mentioned, Command-N is the catch all for 'new'.

You'll get a few favourite keyboard combinations in no time.

But I agree - if there are no new windows, depending on the app, clicking on the dock should open a new window (a la Safari).

I think we can all agree that the Mighty Mouse is shit but I actually really like the newest Apple keyboards, the ones with the chiclet keys. They have a really good feel and it's cool that they are the exact same design as the laptop keyboards because you can move back and forth between laptop and desktop Macs without having to adjust for different key spacing. Plus I love what a small footprint it has.

LCfiner

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Stupid LCFiner beats me again. :(

2 fast 4 u

:p

and, yes, I love the new chiclet keyboards. I bought one for use at work when they came out and I love it. so much better than that 99 cent POS keyboard that comes with our workstations.

LCfiner said:
2 fast 4 u

:p

and, yes, I love the new chiclet keyboards. I bought one for use at work when they came out and I love it. so much better than that 99 cent POS keyboard that comes with our workstations.

Do you think they'll ever add a numpad to the wireless one? Or is there someone else who makes a chiclet style keyboard that has a numpad that you know of?

mrkgoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do you think they'll ever add a numpad to the wireless one? Or is there someone else who makes a chiclet style keyboard that has a numpad that you know of?

They've actually removed the numpad from the default keyboard.

Squeak

One example is "picture viewer" (don't know if that's the correct english title, but it's the default image viewer). It simply impossible to get a new window by any of the described means.

And the PartyPoker popups pop up by themselves it seems. If a site isn't on the "allow list" it can't open popups, right?! But nevertheless PartPoker does just that. So it must have infected Firefox somehow. How do I get rid of it?

LCfiner

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

NEVER

@Squeak. Party Poker and some other sites have figured out ways to make windows pop up despite your setting. classmates.com has done this too. it’s not malware. it’s just tricks used on the web page to bring up the pop up window.

either stop visiting the site to send a message (fewer eyeballs means less incentive to have shitty, pop-up ads) or deal with the pop ups.

edit: Preview is one exception. however, since the purpose of that app is to view a picture, a window will only show up if you double click an image in the Finder. you don’t need to quit the app. a new Preview window will open up with the picture shown.

LCfiner said:
NEVER

@Squeak. Party Poker and some other sites have figured out ways to make windows pop up despite your setting. classmates.com has done this too. it’s not malware. it’s just tricks used on the web page to bring up the pop up window.

either stop visiting the site to send a message (fewer eyeballs means less incentive to have shitty, pop-up ads) or deal with the pop ups.

edit: Preview is one exception. however, since the purpose of that app is to view a picture, a window will only show up if you double click an image in the Finder. you don’t need to quit the app. a new Preview window will open up with the picture shown.

Seriously? Why not?

LCfiner

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Seriously? Why not?

because, as mrkgoo said, they’ve removed the num pad on the default wired keyboard as well.

someone at Apple has a grudge against num pads, I guess. or maybe they found that, say, less than 20% (just guessing) of users bother with the extra keys for daily usage so they said “fuck it”

panda21

i don't suppose anyone here has a kensington slimblade trackball??

like this:
kensington-slimblade-trackball-72327-643x361.jpg

i desperately want a decent one and this looks good, but i've read some customer reviews saying you can't remap the 4 buttons to use expose or anything. i'm not sure if thats only an issue if you install the drivers though. also wondering if the scrollwheel rotating the ball thing works without the drivers.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
LCfiner said:
because, as mrkgoo said, they’ve removed the num pad on the default wired keyboard as well.

someone at Apple has a grudge against num pads, I guess. or maybe they found that, say, less than 20% (just guessing) of users bother with the extra keys for daily usage so they said “fuck it”
And as I said, they still have wired full-size keyboards.

Edit: But really, most people are gonna be getting that Bluetooth KB for saving on space.

Top Bottom