• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

LCfiner

Phobophile said:
And as I said, they still have wired full-size keyboards.

I know that. the question was whether I thought it was likely that Apple will add the numpad to the wireless version.

I can’t see that happening as they’ve made it more difficult to the get the numpad version for wired use.

LCfiner said:
because, as mrkgoo said, they’ve removed the num pad on the default wired keyboard as well.

someone at Apple has a grudge against num pads, I guess. or maybe they found that, say, less than 20% (just guessing) of users bother with the extra keys for daily usage so they said “fuck it”

Maybe I'll just get one then if it's that unlikely.

Phobophile said:

Edit: But really, most people are gonna be getting that Bluetooth KB for saving on space.

What bluetooth keyboard?

mrkgoo

Phobophile said:

Edit: But really, most people are gonna be getting that Bluetooth KB for saving on space.

But not by default (anymore). I'm not sure if you can still buy the numbed version separately at Apple, but it's a configurable option - possibly only as long as they have stock.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but removing it as the default option is a sign of Apple's intentions for the future, kine of like glossy screens, express card slots and so on. Apple have rescinded before (glossy screens, firewire), so you never know.

Squeak: To add to LCFiner's response, Preview is a special case. It's a preview program that has no purpose with no file open. I know you can say word and Excel etc are the same too, but those open specific files, and are for creation of files - when you open a new window in those, it creates a new document.

What would preview open? It can view many types of files, but isn't a creation app. If it opened a new document, what would it be? A PDF? A PNG? JPG? There is no default for it since it's supposed to be just a viewing program with no 'window' - just the file with attached controls (in concept, I know it doesn't operate totally like this). Think of it like QuickLook - you wouldn't expect it to open a blank file, for example.

Look at preview File->new : there isn't anything it can open. There is no 'new file'. Hence no new window.

Squeak

LCfiner said:
NEVER

@Squeak. Party Poker and some other sites have figured out ways to make windows pop up despite your setting. classmates.com has done this too. it’s not malware. it’s just tricks used on the web page to bring up the pop up window.
It must be malware if it occurs randomly, without me visiting a site. AddBlocker seems to have fixed it though. Now I just have to live with the ghastly icon in the top right corner. Oh well, it's worth it I guess...

mrkgoo said:
The wireless one we've been discussing? Wasn't it you who brought it up in the first place?

Sorry, I misread it as they would buy x bluetooth keyboard over the apple one if they wanted to save space. I got it now.

Jasoco

Banned
I have to buy a Mac mini soon, first to be my main computer until I replace my laptop at which point it becomes my G4 mini Media Server's replacement, so I need to buy a keyboard that I can use with it. Wirelessly.

Now, I was just gonna buy the nice little wireless Apple Pro keyboard (The short one that looks like a sheet of aluminum and a MacBook keyboard), but it's $80.

But I just cannot use old style keys anymore. Seriously. I'm so used to the new chicklet keys that whatever I get will have to be the same kind. (Because using an older keyboard I discovered I don't hit the right keys anymore. I find myself having to look at the keys again unlike with the chicklets where I rarely look.)

Does someone make a cheaper keyboard of the same quality as the tiny Apple Wireless BlueTooth Pro keyboard? (It should be BlueTooth and work with the BT receiver inside the mini. I'm done with dongles.)

Any ideas? Or should I just get the Apple keyboard for simplicity's sake? Mind you I'm not against the price, but if something cheaper but of comparable quality that is small enough to be used for TV usage across the room, I'll buy it.

Oh, and no Windows keys if possible. I'd prefer something that is made with Mac users in mind, not as an afterthought. Also, if possible, no driver requirement. (A BT keyboard with standard keys should just work out of the box. Not need a driver to power its hundred extra keys I don't need.)

Jel0man

Please help! How can I get these dock icons:D?

Picture1-15.png

Jasoco said:
I have to buy a Mac mini soon, first to be my main computer until I replace my laptop at which point it becomes my G4 mini Media Server's replacement, so I need to buy a keyboard that I can use with it. Wirelessly.

Now, I was just gonna buy the nice little wireless Apple Pro keyboard (The short one that looks like a sheet of aluminum and a MacBook keyboard), but it's $80.

But I just cannot use old style keys anymore. Seriously. I'm so used to the new chicklet keys that whatever I get will have to be the same kind. (Because using an older keyboard I discovered I don't hit the right keys anymore. I find myself having to look at the keys again unlike with the chicklets where I rarely look.)

Does someone make a cheaper keyboard of the same quality as the tiny Apple Wireless BlueTooth Pro keyboard? (It should be BlueTooth and work with the BT receiver inside the mini. I'm done with dongles.)

Any ideas? Or should I just get the Apple keyboard for simplicity's sake? Mind you I'm not against the price, but if something cheaper but of comparable quality that is small enough to be used for TV usage across the room, I'll buy it.

Oh, and no Windows keys if possible. I'd prefer something that is made with Mac users in mind, not as an afterthought. Also, if possible, no driver requirement. (A BT keyboard with standard keys should just work out of the box. Not need a driver to power its hundred extra keys I don't need.)

When I was searching last night I didn't find any other keyboards that are the chiclet style. Upon reading wiki it says that an asus eee keyboard/computer is chiclet style and there's an oklick 555s that is chiclet but I can't find any site that actually has it and it seems to be in russian so I couldn't find anything at least. I think you're stuck in the same boat I am and just have to bite the bullet and get the apple one if you want a chiclet keyboard.

Has anyone used one of these apple keyboards on windows? Was it as good as any other keyboard? Was it hard to edit shortcuts for the keys?

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Hit quote instead of edit. :(

Grifter

Anyone make the switch to Safari from Firefox? Installed SL and giving it a shot but I'm missing the extensions.

Also, is there a shortcut key to add ".com" to the end of an address?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Grifter said:
Anyone make the switch to Safari from Firefox? Installed SL and giving it a shot but I'm missing the extensions.

Also, is there a shortcut key to add ".com" to the end of an address?
I've never had a problem in either FF or Safari with just typing in a site without the dot com.

Totakeke

I just installed a hackintosh just because I had an extra computer lying around that was compatible. I'm trying to setup a network on the mac but I can't give other computers read and write access to the hard drive because it's greyed out and I can't change it to something else other than write. I googled around but I can't find any answers, am I missing something obvious here?

I'm using Windows 7 to access OS X, which works fine except for the read and write part. Also, how do you login as another user from another computer once you've already login as one?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone used one of these apple keyboards on windows? Was it as good as any other keyboard? Was it hard to edit shortcuts for the keys?
Yeah it works fine. I use SharpKeys to switch the Alt and Apple keys. You'll also need AppleKeys to make F13 into Print Screen, if you use that often.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Totakeke said:
I just installed a hackintosh just because I had an extra computer lying around that was compatible. I'm trying to setup a network on the mac but I can't give other computers read and write access to the hard drive because it's greyed out and I can't change it to something else other than write. I googled around but I can't find any answers, am I missing something obvious here?

I'm using Windows 7 to access OS X, which works fine except for the read and write part. Also, how do you login as another user from another computer once you've already login as one?

I don't think Windows can natively read/write HFS Plus.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yeah it works fine. I use SharpKeys to switch the Alt and Apple keys. You'll also need AppleKeys to make F13 into Print Screen, if you use that often.

Do I need any drivers or would bootcamp drivers work?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I have the titanium keyboard running in windows 7,
It runs fine in Vista x64 and 7 x64 without any extra drivers... can't vouch for the 32bit but I assume they would work.

If you want the media keys (the reverse/ play / pause/ forward / eject etc) to work, you'll need bootcamp drivers.

LCfiner

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

you don't need any drivers to get it to work as a simple keyboard. this is how i set it up at work. real plug and play.

but you'll need the apps Liu Kang mentioned to switch around alt key location, if you prefer the windows configuration (alt next to space, win key in between ctrl and alt).

Jasoco

Banned
Phobophile said:
I've never had a problem in either FF or Safari with just typing in a site without the dot com.
I do. But it's Verizon's fucking fault. I have CyberSearch installed, and even then if I don't type a keyword to make it actually search and go to Google, Verizon's fucking Yahoo! powered search takes over and searches for the term instead. It happens too if I try to type a URL without the .com and don't select it from my already visited list. (The crazy thing is if you go into their help pages, the search becomes Google powered. WTF?)

Fucking Verizon. I love Verizon, but this is the most Comcast-ic shit they've done. They provide instructions on how to disable it through my router, but the instructions are for 10.4, and 10.5/10.6 changed the method and locks the ability to do it.

Here is the URL for anyone who has Verizon (Or not) and can figure out how to do it. We can't do it through our router, because the bastards only have their shitty ActionTec and some Dlink's listed, but we have a LinkSys g.
http://wwwz.websearch.verizon.net/search?qh=&om=w&of=ii23&rn=MCtLBKBVv-BbydJ&rg=

Note the link on the two pages that says you can do it through your OS. They have options for 10.3 and 10.4 but no instructions for 10.5+. It says something simple, go into Network, get to the DNS settings page, and change the .12 to .14. Well, I get there and the DNS entry area has two IP's in it ending in .12, but the control is LOCKED! I can ADD some more, but I can't change the ones already there? Fucking hell.

Grifter

Yup, Time Warner takes over on my end. Oddly, it sometimes takes over on refresh of a loaded tab and it gets fixed when I restart the browser.

I am just starting my first boot camp experience by installing Windows 7 64x and I have hit a snag. Once I get to the windows side is says that there is a cd/dvd driver missing. I have read that then I am suppose to put in my OS X dvd to get the drivers but the problem is that I can't eject the W7 instillation disk. The eject button won't work and I don't appear to have the ability to right click and eject the disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LCfiner

Captain Blood said:
I am just starting my first boot camp experience by installing Windows 7 64x and I have hit a snag. Once I get to the windows side is says that there is a cd/dvd driver missing. I have read that then I am suppose to put in my OS X dvd to get the drivers but the problem is that I can't eject the W7 instillation disk. The eject button won't work and I don't appear to have the ability to right click and eject the disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

this might be silly but can you open up windows explorer, navigate to the CD drive and hit the “eject” CD menu item that shows up (or sidebar item)? gets around the lack of right clicking functionality for now...

LCfiner said:
this might be silly but can you open up windows explorer, navigate to the CD drive and hit the “eject” CD menu item that shows up (or sidebar item)? gets around the lack of right clicking functionality for now...

It is right at the beginning of the process and I am given the option to browse where I can see the CD drive there but there isn't an option to eject the disk, as far as I can tell I can only click the CD drive to the get drivers :/

Totakeke

suffah said:
I don't think Windows can natively read/write HFS Plus.

I have several partitions on it and another hard drive which are all NTFS which I want to give access to. It just doesn't explain why the settings are greyed out.

I got one more question for anyone using a wireless mac keyboard on a windows pc. How do you go into the bios? Since there's technically no delete key does it see backspace as delete or?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I got one more question for anyone using a wireless mac keyboard on a windows pc. How do you go into the bios? Since there's technically no delete key does it see backspace as delete or?
Try Fn + Delete

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You don't have another keyboard?

I can't say I've ever tried, but I'd assume Fn + Delete would work like it does for laptop keyboards.

I do but it'd be a pain to have to dig it out just to get into the bios. I guess it's not too big of a deal, still curious though.
giga said:
I’m an idiot.

Don't worry, your assumption would kind of make sense since we're in a os x thread. :p

Jasoco

Banned
Grifter said:
Yup, Time Warner takes over on my end. Oddly, it sometimes takes over on refresh of a loaded tab and it gets fixed when I restart the browser.
Why do we have to opt-out of this shit? I think it should be a law that we have to choose if we want to be in, otherwise we are out. This is like those checkboxes when you sign up for a website that are checked by default that say "Subscribe to this and that and this and we'll send you email all the time about shit you don't care about, unless you turn this box off."

hoverX

This thread seems like a good spot for this question...

I'm considering getting a macbook pro for music production/DJing but i'd really like to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic" (PC only) once it comes out. Who has first hand experience with using bootcamp and running games? Is it viable? Does bootcamp let me triple boot into linux as well?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
hoverX said:

I'm considering getting a macbook pro for music production/DJing but i'd really like to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic" (PC only) once it comes out. Who has first hand experience with using bootcamp and running games? Is it viable? Does bootcamp let me triple boot into linux as well?
If you get a MBP and are running a game in Windows, you'll get the performance you'd expect from the components in your system.

Ashhong

hoverX said:

which MBP? the cheaper 13/15 or the 15" with the separate GPU?

from what ive seen of the old republic, it doesnt look like that much of a powerhouse, although that could change? i use the 13" mbp to play left 4 dead when im away from my desktop and its a viable option...but i wouldnt want to play on it every day. i have it on like the lowest settings and its just bearable

RubxQub

Ashhong said:
which MBP? the cheaper 13/15 or the 15" with the separate GPU?
Excellent question, I'm still not used to the 13" being considered Pro's :lol

If you're interested in gaming at all, getting a MBP with the full-on GPU is a must.

hoverX

RubxQub said:
If you get a MBP and are running a game in Windows, you'll get the performance you'd expect from the components in your system.

The last i'd read about bootcamp, which was a while ago, made it sound like it was a very beta product. I was just wondering if it has stabilized or if there were any large issues with it.

RubxQub

hoverX said:
The last i'd read about bootcamp, which was a while ago, made it sound like it was a very beta product. I was just wondering if it has stabilized or if there were any large issues with it.
I've run bootcamp and played games on it and have not been at all disappointed in the performance or the stability.

Not sure where you heard that BootCamp was a beta-like in quality, but my own experience and what I perceive from others on these boards is that BootCamp is more than capable of giving you an authentic Windows experience.

Ashhong

hoverX said:

its very stabilized. buy the 2000 mbp if you want good gaming, and the lower ones if you want decent gaming

Are there any Mac UI customization programs out there that I could use? Specifically, i'm wondering if there's a way that I can have a borderless Terminal window.

Burger

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I do but it'd be a pain to have to dig it out just to get into the bios. I guess it's not too big of a deal, still curious though.

Don't worry, your assumption would kind of make sense since we're in a os x thread. :p

It won't work. PC's only just support USB keyboards and mice in legacy mode, you can forget about Bluetooth completely.

Jel0man

What happens to a Firmware Password after a clean install? Is it still there somewhere or do I have to create a new one?

Jel0man

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What do you mean firmware password?

There's a Firmware Password utility on the Leopard (maybe Snow Leopard too) disc and that allows you to set a Firmware Password which prevents anyone from formatting your drive. Also, no one can boot from dvd without that password.

Top Bottom