• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

giga

Jel0man said:
What happens to a Firmware Password after a clean install? Is it still there somewhere or do I have to create a new one?
It should still be there, since you’re not really touching any part of EFI.

Jasoco

Banned
_leech_ said:
Are there any Mac UI customization programs out there that I could use? Specifically, i'm wondering if there's a way that I can have a borderless Terminal window.
There are many apps to make your OS look how you want it to really.

But sadly I do not see anything to give you a borderless Terminal. I Googled and found a few replacements, one that has fullscreen mode and looks like an old style CRT with flickr, and one that came out before Tiger added tabs to the default OS X Terminal. But nothing that let you have a borderless window. Weird. I swore there used to be an app that sat in the background and could be called at the press of a hotkey at which point it slid down like the terminal in Quake and newer DOOM games for modifying settings and such. But I couldn't find it.

Jel0man

This is not really Mac related, but then again, it might be. I was wondering if there's an affordable way to wirelessly connect my WD external passport drive and printer to our WRT54G router so I can access both devices from my Macbook? Both the drive and printer connect via USB/Firewire.

The Airport Extreme is a bit overkill for me. The Airport Express however looks awesome, but the problem is that is has only a single USB port and it will only allow a printer to be connected. An external drive will not work. Does anyone know of a good product that will satisfy my needs?

So basically: modem > wrt54g router > wireless bridge/hub? > usb: external drive and printer.

Mar

I found the solution to my Finder frustrations. Path Finder. Excellent app and does everything a mature file system browser can do (and then some).

Finder can eat a bag of dicks.

marwan

Banned
i'm no mac techy, so im asking on my bro behalf, he's using MSN and Adium and every time he messages someone he keep getting weird spam link sent to people he's chatting with every time. it's driving me insane as well since when we chat i keep getting spam links all over the IM window.

what could be causing this? and how does he get rid of it? any particular scanning program or such?

Jel0man said:
This is not really Mac related, but then again, it might be. I was wondering if there's an affordable way to wirelessly connect my WD external passport drive and printer to our WRT54G router so I can access both devices from my Macbook? Both the drive and printer connect via USB/Firewire.

The Airport Extreme is a bit overkill for me. The Airport Express however looks awesome, but the problem is that is has only a single USB port and it will only allow a printer to be connected. An external drive will not work. Does anyone know of a good product that will satisfy my needs?

So basically: modem > wrt54g router > wireless bridge/hub? > usb: external drive and printer.
The read/write speed on "fake NAS" router setups are so bad that it's not worth bothering with. I'm lucky to get 1 MB/sec on the Airport Extreme.

marwan said:
i'm no mac techy, so im asking on my bro behalf, he's using MSN and Adium and every time he messages someone he keep getting weird spam link sent to people he's chatting with every time. it's driving me insane as well since when we chat i keep getting spam links all over the IM window.

what could be causing this? and how does he get rid of it? any particular scanning program or such?
You already made the thread for this and got answers.

I'm debating between these browsers:

Safari: I like because it's light and quick rendering, but I still have problems with .gifs and not being able to do some stuff like "paste and go" into address bar or search bar, or right click on links to open in a new window straight away

Firefox: Perfect browser in terms of features, but suffers the dreded "www.neogaf.com is taking too long to respond" shit. And it sometimes is sluggish as hell

Camino: Not used it yet

Chrome: Loving it, it is fucking raw right now with some animations being jerky as turkey, but other than that it's solid

Opera 10: Not used it yet

Anyone have any input on Camino? Can it use FF's add ons?

Jel0man

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The read/write speed on "fake NAS" router setups are so bad that it's not worth bothering with. I'm lucky to get 1 MB/sec on the Airport Extreme.

Thanks:). I also just went to an electronics store here and they basically said the same thing: don't bother, it's not possible. Oh well. At least the Express will work with my printer:).

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:
I'm debating between these browsers:

Safari: I like because it's light and quick rendering, but I still have problems with .gifs and not being able to do some stuff like "paste and go" into address bar or search bar, or right click on links to open in a new window straight away

Firefox: Perfect browser in terms of features, but suffers the dreded "www.neogaf.com is taking too long to respond" shit. And it sometimes is sluggish as hell

Camino: Not used it yet

Chrome: Loving it, it is fucking raw right now with some animations being jerky as turkey, but other than that it's solid

Opera 10: Not used it yet

Anyone have any input on Camino? Can it use FF's add ons?

I have used camino. it's alright but does not support FF addons. but it's GUI is written in cocoa so it feels a bit more at home on the Mac. i think when FF was at version 2, that difference was more noticeable. now it's not such a big deal, I find.

I haven't tried it recently so I'm not sure if there are any recent changes that would put it ahead of FF or Safari.

I can't get into opera at all. the UI just turns me away. they've made progress with opera 10 but it still just doesn't feel right.

LCfiner said:
I have used camino. it's alright but does not support FF addons. but it's GUI is written in cocoa so it feels a bit more at home on the Mac. i think when FF was at version 2, that difference was more noticeable. now it's not such a big deal, I find.

I haven't tried it recently so I'm not sure if there are any recent changes that would put it ahead of FF or Safari.

I can't get into opera at all. the UI just turns me away. they've made progress with opera 10 but it still just doesn't feel right.

Opera was shit for me on the PC too so that's at the bottom of my list. I like the sound of running Chrome, Safari and Omniweb. What I might do with FF is keep my bookmarks as a html document and just access links from there, rather than keeping them bogging down FF. Also I will try and tweak it to my best ability to be as light as possible, even if that means removing Persona's :(

I am trying to set up my printer to share with a Windows computer. It is hooked to my iMac and sharing is turned on. Under the Vista computer the printer drivers are installed and it is recognized, but when it tries to print it says "Access Denied." Looking under the Mac OSX help, it says to turn on post script in Windows. Where the hell is that?

Someone help me please. Just now I started downloading something in Safari and it's downloading, but it's not showing up on my download list. Look at the screenshot, it shows 1 download but I can't see anything. The file IS downloading though. Pretty strange and annoying.

Screenshot: http://i25.tinypic.com/mbrdjb.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
criesofthepast said:
Someone help me please. Just now I started downloading something in Safari and it's downloading, but it's not showing up on my download list. Look at the screenshot, it shows 1 download but I can't see anything. The file IS downloading though. Pretty strange and annoying.

Screenshot: http://i25.tinypic.com/mbrdjb.jpg

if you have 'Private Browsing' selected, you won't have a download history.

Burger

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:( Is there another good wireless keyboard to buy?

How often do you need to get into your bios ? As long as you have a usb keyboard in your closet somewhere you will be fine...

Quick hardware question for anyone that may know.

I have just recently bought a Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500GB 2.5" Hard Drive, for my new macbook pro, but upon installation my macbook would just show a file with a question mark and not do anything. When I put the installation disc in, when prompted to ask for a medium to install leopard on, the hard drive would not show up.

I was pretty sure I was putting it in and connecting it right, since I was able to put my old one in again just fine.

So anyway I asked for replacement from where I bought it, they got the item and ran tests, and said they couldn't find any of the faults I had said (I said it was D.O.A), but they will replace it with a new one anyway.

Now I'm a bit concerned, if that one was fine, why was it not being read by the macbook? I installed it multiple times to make sure (sata cable on securely etc), and it just didn't seem to work.

Recon

Banned
Hey Gaf, I came into possession of quite a few Macbook Pros(Great Deal). But the only problem is they dont have power cords....Is there somewhere i could buy,say, around 23 power cords?

marwan

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

You already made the thread for this and got answers.

that's cuz i was directed to this thread(which i didn't know existed) and though i would get more in depth answers since my bro is still having the same problem.

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, I think my MacBook has a virus. Has anyone ever tried to load up Safari, but instead of going to the Apple.com homepage (or whatever homepage you have), you've gotten a URL that looks something like this:

http://¬/

Obviously, it says Safari can't find the server.

-Kimo

LCfiner

Kimosabae said:
Okay, I think my MacBook has a virus. Has anyone ever tried to load up Safari, but instead of going to the Apple.com homepage (or whatever homepage you have), you've gotten a URL that looks something like this:

-Kimo

Nuke it from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Kimosabae said:

-Kimo
Virus? No.
Trojan? Maybe.

When you change the homepage does that work? Does this happen in all browsers? Have you downloaded and installed some shady shit recently?

I am trying to change the scurve .pngs for my dock. I believe I changed it a long time ago. However anytime I try to copy the new scurve files into the dock's resource folder, OSX does not copy ANY of the files into the folder. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

LCfiner

The_Inquisitor said:
I am trying to change the scurve .pngs for my dock. I believe I changed it a long time ago. However anytime I try to copy the new scurve files into the dock's resource folder, OSX does not copy ANY of the files into the folder. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

when i've tried to overwrite the resource files for the scrollbars, I found that even when I would authenticate, it wouldn't copy over. so I would need to delete the old files from the package first, then copy over the new ones into the dock.app.

....make sure to back up the unmolested dock.app to another folder or drive just in case.

that should work

LCfiner said:
when i've tried to overwrite the resource files for the scrollbars, I found that even when I would authenticate, it wouldn't copy over. so I would need to delete the old files from the package first, then copy over the new ones into the dock.app.

....make sure to back up the unmolested dock.app to another folder or drive just in case.

that should work

Negative. I already deleted all the scurve files out of the resource folder. When I try to copy the new ones it "runs" the copy, but no files actually go in. :(

Edit: I notice that when I repair my permissions it:

Permissions differ on "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r-- .
Repaired "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-l.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-l.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-l.png".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-sm.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-sm.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-sm.png".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-xl.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-xl.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-xl.png".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Kimosabae

Banned
RubxQub said:
Virus? No.
Trojan? Maybe.

When you change the homepage does that work? Does this happen in all browsers? Have you downloaded and installed some shady shit recently?

What's the difference between a trojan and a virus?

I changed the homepage, and that worked.

I haven't installed anything recently, to the best of my memory, but I do visit that torrent-site-that-shall-not-be-named quite often :/

What protection software do you guys use?

-Kimo

Burger said:
How often do you need to get into your bios ? As long as you have a usb keyboard in your closet somewhere you will be fine...

I went ahead and got the apple wireless keyboard. I have a wired one I'll leave around if I need to boot into my linux partition.

criesofthepast said:
If you see the screenshot the clear button is actually greyed out. Private Browsing is off.

edit: nvm, i fixed it. not sure how but all is well again.

Whether it's greyed out now is completely irrelevant. If you accidentally or purposefully hit it before it would clear the list even things that are in the process of downloading, so you would still have your one file downloading but have nothing on your downloads list.

LCfiner

The_Inquisitor said:
Negative. I already deleted all the scurve files out of the resource folder. When I try to copy the new ones it "runs" the copy, but no files actually go in. :(

Edit: I notice that when I repair my permissions it:

Permissions differ on "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r-- .
Repaired "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-l.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-l.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-l.png".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-sm.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-sm.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-sm.png".
User differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-xl.png", should be 0, user is 501.
Group differs on "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-xl.png", should be 0, group is 501.
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-xl.png".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

hmm. I am now at a loss...

you can try the demo of candybar 3.2 that will make the dock change stick with an iconcontainer of the scurve files. i think the program will work for free with a limited set of icons and docks.

there might be other freeware programs that can handle this operation, too.

Ok I changed my scurve files from 3 different styles. I confirmed they changed in the dock resource folder each time. I then killed the dock. However this god damn 2D dock is STILL here, even after a killall command nothing changed. I am beginning to think something is really fucked up. Any ideas?

Edit: Quick screengrab

3885395458_0b9a221b8c.jpg

Edit2: What the fuck. Even Candybar3 shows the new background in the application. However I am still stuck with the 2D dock that is above.

Edit3: I tried reapplying the dock via candybar. Still no change.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Kimosabae said:

-Kimo

If you think you really need it, clamXav is a free virus scanner:

http://www.clamxav.com/
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/52238&vid=11093233&mode=info

I'm not sure if it works in Snow Leopard though. I do know some people are having issues with the beta.

LCfiner

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok I changed my scurve files from 3 different styles. I confirmed they changed in the dock resource folder each time. I then killed the dock. However this god damn 2D dock is STILL here, even after a killall command nothing changed. I am beginning to think something is really fucked up. Any ideas?

Edit: Quick screengrab

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/3885395458_0b9a221b8c.jpg[img]

Edit2: What the fuck. Even Candybar3 shows the new background in the application. However I am still stuck with the 2D dock that is above.

Edit3: I tried reapplying the dock via candybar. Still no change.[/QUOTE]

ok, so the 2d dock is still there. that's weird. have you tried this terminal command to force it back to 3D?

[CODE]defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO
killall Dock[/CODE]

[URL="http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-9-Most-Important-Leopard-Interface-Tweaks-88856.shtml"]http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-9-Most-Important-Leopard-Interface-Tweaks-88856.shtml[/URL]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is safari for plugins? I've just discovered you can get xmarks for it, which is a big step towards me being able to use safari instead of firefox, but what else is there?

Mainly I'd want a decent twitterfox equivalent, and an adblocker. Secondarily I'd like something like autopager and something to block flash (kills battery on my MBP)

LCfiner

mrklaw said:
how is safari for plugins? I've just discovered you can get xmarks for it, which is a big step towards me being able to use safari instead of firefox, but what else is there?

Mainly I'd want a decent twitterfox equivalent, and an adblocker. Secondarily I'd like something like autopager and something to block flash (kills battery on my MBP)

very few official plugins for safari. but, “clicktoflash” is a real plugin that disables flash unless you click on it. there’s also a whitelist for stuff you always want to see.

"glimmerblocker" is a pref pane that adds ad blocking to all Mac browsers via a proxy. again, not a hack, works on SL and across all apps. however, since I started using it, I noticed it’s a huge memory hog. not sure if I should be concerned about that

cant help you with twitterfox, sorry. if thats vital, stick with firefox.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
midwestern_stylings said:
Quick hardware question for anyone that may know.

I have just recently bought a Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500GB 2.5" Hard Drive, for my new macbook pro, but upon installation my macbook would just show a file with a question mark and not do anything. When I put the installation disc in, when prompted to ask for a medium to install leopard on, the hard drive would not show up.

I was pretty sure I was putting it in and connecting it right, since I was able to put my old one in again just fine.

So anyway I asked for replacement from where I bought it, they got the item and ran tests, and said they couldn't find any of the faults I had said (I said it was D.O.A), but they will replace it with a new one anyway.

Now I'm a bit concerned, if that one was fine, why was it not being read by the macbook? I installed it multiple times to make sure (sata cable on securely etc), and it just didn't seem to work.

i believe you need to go into the Utilities on the OSX boot disc to run Disk Utility, and erase the drive to HFS+ format before it will allow you to install the OS. it's probably FAT32 at the moment.

Jasoco

Banned
LCfiner said:

I've said it before, but if Camino came out with a FireFox style plug-in system, even if it meant plug-ins would have to be redone for it, I'd switch to it.

I'd also switch to Chrome when it was final if it also had a plug-in system.

Because I feel if the browser is good enough, and can have plug-ins, the Firefox developers would port their popular plug-ins to them. I'm talking the main plug-ins. Like Tab Mix Plus for all the options, GreaseMonkey and Stylish for control of page content and layout, DownloadHelper and DownloadThemAll for downloading everything under the sun...

I think it's just a matter of time.

For now I stick with FireFox though. As I have made myself a home I can't just up and leave. I rely too much on total control over everything. Including making the UI as small as possible while still retaining its usability.

Miau

Neo Member
_leech_ said:
What the fuck's wrong with Flash for OSX? Why does the tiniest video shoot my CPU usage past 100%? I need alternatives to this shit.

Welcome to the world of this unoptimized bloatware for OS X. :(

Jasoco

Banned
_leech_ said:
What the fuck's wrong with Flash for OSX? Why does the tiniest video shoot my CPU usage past 100%? I need alternatives to this shit.
Flash is a monopoly. Since only Flash can run in Flash Player. Just like only Silverlight can run in Silverlight player.

I wish CSS3 and HTML5 would kill it already.. At least in the video market.

Jasoco said:
Flash is a monopoly. Since only Flash can run in Flash Player. Just like only Silverlight can run in Silverlight player.

I wish CSS3 and HTML5 would kill it already.. At least in the video market.

So basically, if I want to watch any YouTube videos i'll have to sit through the noise of my Macbook transforming into a lawnmower. At first I thought it was shitty Intel drivers.

Juice

Jasoco said:
Flash is a monopoly.

This isn't quite accurate. First, Flash does not reside neatly in a real industry. Second, the only "consumers" of Flash are developers who pay Adobe licensing fees for one of many competing authoring tools (both of SWF and equivalent formats).

Technicality aside, if the iPhone has taught me one thing, it's that I don't miss Flash content one bit. I have click to flash installed on my Mac and I virtually never enable Flash anywhere. It's more relaxing, enjoyable, and a great way to stay in shape.

Jasoco

Banned
I have Click2Flash as well. I only whitelist sites where Flash is the main content. Like YouTube or other video sites. NoScript takes care of blocking the flash ads.

giga

_leech_ said:
I already use Flashblock for Firefox. I use a YouTube Greasemonkey script but it doesn't have an MP4 playback option and i'd rather not switch it. Bah.
Enjoy your lawnmower then.

Top Bottom