• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

Duderz said:
Are you serious? Jeez, that's pretty ridiculous. Thanks for the info.

I never really thought about it, as I like to have the option. My Mac was my first intro to tabbed browsing, so I just got used to middle-clicking or cmd+clicking. I have my ring or middle finger pretty much constantly on cmd.

Something I do miss, however, is in the bookmark browser, you used to be able to middle click on bookmarks to open new tab, but now you have to cmd+click.

Duderz

Banned
Another question since you guys are so helpful - I seem to have gotten some gunk from the packaging onto my iMac screen - I've tried using a damp, lint free cloth to no avail, and online there are sites that say rubbing alcohol will work, whereas Apple's iMac guide says to use water only. Does anyone on GAF have any experience with this?

I've had to resort back to FF; there's way too much that FF has that other bowsers don't

-Omnibar
-One touch bookmarking
-Add ons such as double right click opens links straight away, 3 finger swipe to get to the bottom of the page, paste & go/paste & search on right click

Then the small refined touches:

-open new tabs in backgroud as an OPTION
-highlight a word>rightclick>search in Google, and the tab opens in the background
-MUCH better tab control options

More stuff I can go on all day, but eh, functionality > Speed. If You can tweak FF it boots in 1.4s in comparison to Chromes & Safari 1s boot up time. I can't see TOO much rendering issues at the minute as I am downloding a large file and everything is loading slow, but I am sure it won't harm my everyday browsing. I've cut down my add ons, bookmarks, Personas/skins, and all other frath and FF is doing OK.

But to be honest. When Chrome comes out I'm switching and using FF as 2nd, I use Chrome everyday at work and I am a convert, but it's not good enough in alpha stage on OS X

Ashhong

does anybody have a solution to seeing Windows networks in OSX? my networks dont show up but it does work if i press "Go To Server" and type in smb://ipaddress

its annoying because sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesnt. makes no sense

Duderz said:
Another question since you guys are so helpful - I seem to have gotten some gunk from the packaging onto my iMac screen - I've tried using a damp, lint free cloth to no avail, and online there are sites that say rubbing alcohol will work, whereas Apple's iMac guide says to use water only. Does anyone on GAF have any experience with this?

1 part water and 1 part rubbing alcohol.

Ashhong

what kind of gunk? has it hardened or is it sticky? etc etc i would personally probably just keep rubbing at it with water. if its a gloss screen would windex be bad?

panda21

so anyone use a mac as a media center? so far it seems like plex is the best, but all these xbmc derived players seem to be slightly buggy.

boxee is behaving very strangely for me (screen randomly turning black, just froze randomly) and i hate the way it wants to liveblog everything you play.

i was loving plex until it spontaneously decided to wipe my music library from its menu (not the actual files, just the menu items in the app). it also seems like the whole interface is a bit cluttered and confusing, whereas boxee is much more streamlined and neat.

i've yet to try xbmc but i would assume its less well supported on the mac.

is there anything else out there? front row is ok as a last resort but i'd like something that i can use for everything and only plex seems to be close to doing that.

debating to order my MBP online or buy at best buy

I get the student pricing at best buy, but the difference between the retail and student pricing isn't give to you in a rebate, but as a best buy gift card...I would rather have the cash, anybody have any experience with apple.com's online rebates? how long does it typically take?

Ashhong

GodfatherX said:
debating to order my MBP online or buy at best buy

I get the student pricing at best buy, but the difference between the retail and student pricing isn't give to you in a rebate, but as a best buy gift card...I would rather have the cash, anybody have any experience with apple.com's online rebates? how long does it typically take?

student pricing isnt given in a rebate...however the free ipod touch and printer are. i would buy it from apple.com and get the free ipod and printer discount which is ending soon, even though new ipods are coming out next week.

they usually take about 4-5 weeks to get the rebates after you place the order

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Flying_Phoenix said:
How do I change icons?
  1. Copy new icon image to clipboard.
  2. Right click item.
  3. Get Info.
  4. Click icon in top left corner to select.
  5. Cmd + V
Probably not the way I'm supposed to do it, but that's how I've been doing it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
giga said:
How’s the performance compared to say Paragon NTFS? ntfs-3g was always slow.
Seems fast to me; almost imperceptible to Windows Vista/7
linkboy said:
Do you have any more detailed instructions to enable this. I'm a bit confused. I used Paragon NTFS in the past to write to NTFS, but if Apple included it in SL, I'm up for it.
  • Open textedit and immediately go to Format > Make Plain Text
  • now paste the following into the new document
Code:
LABEL=XXX none ntfs rw
  • replace XXX with the partition you want to use. if you have more than one NTFS partition you want to use, just paste a new line and write the partition name there.
  • Save the file to your desktop with the name fstab and UNCHECK 'if no extension is provided, use ".txt"
  • go to the root of your Snow Leopard drive in Finder and select 'Go > Go to Folder...' from the menubar. type in ETC
  • drag the fstab file from your desktop into ETC.
  • reboot
  • success?

Ashhong said:
student pricing isnt given in a rebate...however the free ipod touch and printer are. i would buy it from apple.com and get the free ipod and printer discount which is ending soon, even though new ipods are coming out next week.

they usually take about 4-5 weeks to get the rebates after you place the order
didn't think you could combine the two?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
BrandNew said:
Google has failed me from my questioning, so GAF, help :(
Connect 360 can't stream FLAC. They pretty much have to be codecs/containers supported by both the Xbox and iTunes/iPhoto. I dunno how you feel about converting to ALAC.

Jasoco

Banned
This is why I'm dumping third party Xbox streaming tools and just getting a new Mac mini to play the files on my TV. Because then I can play whatever the hell I want and not have to worry about codecs anymore.

guise

How can i get rid of DRM from iTunes purchased videos? (M4V files) - i bought this shit, i should be able to watch it using whatever software i want.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
guise said:
How can i get rid of DRM from iTunes purchased videos? (M4V files) - i bought this shit, i should be able to watch it using whatever software i want.
Be advised that as bullshit as it may be, you're on your own with this question. Explaining how to circumvent DRM is against the law, but you know, it's not entirely obscure info either.

mrkgoo

guise said:

I don't really agree with DRM either, but nor do I agree with the sense of entitlement that just because you pay for the use of something means that necessarily you get to do whatever you want, especially if you've agreed to the terms going in (if you didn't like it, then don't pay for it).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Norante said:
What is a good Bluetooth mouse to replace the Might Mouse?

i have a Logitech V470 and it's great. it doesn't have the side buttons like the mighty mouse though.

Ashhong

GodfatherX said:
didn't think you could combine the two?

you can indeed, done it multiple times.

BrandNew said:
Bummer about Connect360 not being able to...what about that PS3 Media Server program, I know it works with 360s, but I'm not sure how well.

if it works half as well as the PS3 one, it works nicely. love it for PS3 streaming

tmdorsey

This thread has been great. I have another big question. Can somebody please tell me an easy way to setup alerts for the default birthday calendar in iCal that pulls in birthdays from the contacts in the address book?

Schrade

guise said:
Possibly using Requiem 1.8.12. If you've upgraded to iTunes 9.0, there's no solution yet. Only solution is for iTunes 8.2 and 8.2.1 for Mac/x86, not windows.

Schrade

Sorry. For some reason I thought I saw a posting about iTunes 9 :p I don't use a Mac often and I don't do anything with iTunes ever so I just got my wires crossed.

No excitement ever from me for anything Mac/Apple related :)

Burger

FFS iTunes does my head in sometimes.

I have a 16gb 3GS iPhone, which I use at work, and at home, on 2 macs. Sometimes I add music to my home mac and add it to my iPhone, and sometimes I buy some tracks at work and add them to my phone.

In the last 15 minutes I made a new ringtone and added it, clicked sync my ringtones and bam! All my music, deleted. Some apps, deleted. Photos, deleted.

I know why it did what it did, but it's such a bone headed way of doing shit. So I use 2 computers, why the fuck can't I have a phone in the year 2009 that works with 2 fucking computers ?!?

Does my head in.

I posted in the SL thread that I finally decided to buy a MBP. I got the 13"MBP with 2gb ram, an iPod classic, and a HP wireless printer...thanks to whoever mentioned that above because I would have never realized that promo.

Anyway, I ordered last night, with everything in stock and listed as:

HP PHOTOSMART Ships:3 - 5 business days Delivers:Sep 12 - Sep 18

MBP 13.3/2.26/2X1GB/160/SD-USA Ships:within 24 hours Delivers:Sep 9 - Sep 14

IPOD CLASSIC 120GB BLACK-USA Ships:within 24 hours Delivers:Sep 9 - Sep 12

what's odd is that as of mid day today the printer and MBP are listed as prepared to ship, and the iPod is listed as not yet shipped (same as it's been since I ordered)

any chance that apple ran out of stock of the current iPod? I know awhile back there was talk that the entire line would be getting cameras and new revisions announced at the event Wednesday.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
GodfatherX said:
I posted in the SL thread that I finally decided to buy a MBP. I got the 13"MBP with 2gb ram, an iPod classic, and a HP wireless printer...thanks to whoever mentioned that above because I would have never realized that promo.

Anyway, I ordered last night, with everything in stock and listed as:

HP PHOTOSMART Ships:3 - 5 business days Delivers:Sep 12 - Sep 18

MBP 13.3/2.26/2X1GB/160/SD-USA Ships:within 24 hours Delivers:Sep 9 - Sep 14

IPOD CLASSIC 120GB BLACK-USA Ships:within 24 hours Delivers:Sep 9 - Sep 12

what's odd is that as of mid day today the printer and MBP are listed as prepared to ship, and the iPod is listed as not yet shipped (same as it's been since I ordered)

any chance that apple ran out of stock of the current iPod? I know awhile back there was talk that the entire line would be getting cameras and new revisions announced at the event Wednesday.

New iPods are most likely coming out this week. You are probably getting a free upgrade. Usually happens around the time of new hardware releases.

Ashhong

quadriplegicjon said:
New iPods are most likely coming out this week. You are probably getting a free upgrade. Usually happens around the time of new hardware releases.

:lol no way. i seriously doubt they will allow that, especially since he will be getting a 230$ rebate for it.

sorry to burst your bubble godfatherx

eh im happy either way...would be nice to get the upgrade, not holding out on it though

for about $1240 I got a MBP, wireless printer, and iPod classic...pretty happy with that, especially considering I was buying a iPod classic anyway for my car, and I was looking at getting the kodak wireless printer before I found out they are shit

I just got Snow Leopard and have noticed a MASSIVE difference in performance.

But I heard something about earlier MacBook Pros loading up in 32-bit by default? How do I get it to load 64-bit?

Excuse the noobness of the question. I'm not that computer inclined.

Particle Physicist

Ashhong said:
:lol no way. i seriously doubt they will allow that, especially since he will be getting a 230$ rebate for it.

sorry to burst your bubble godfatherx

oh. i didn't realize he got it off of a rebate. not sure though. i remember hearing stuff like that happening last go around. maybe it only happens with the laptops.. ?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I just got Snow Leopard and have noticed a MASSIVE difference in performance.

But I heard something about earlier MacBook Pros loading up in 32-bit by default? How do I get it to load 64-bit?

Excuse the noobness of the question. I'm not that computer inclined.

Everything loads 32bit kernel by default*. Don't worry about it.

If you're still worrying about it, hold 6 and 4 when booting up.

*besides Xserve

SnakeXs said:
Everything loads 32bit kernel by default*. Don't worry about it.

If you're still worrying about it, hold 6 and 4 when booting up.

*besides Xserve

You serious? Or jerking my chain?

Hold 6 and 4? That sounds like you're making fun of me.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

nah man, its a common ID: 10 T error good thing we have evolved past the EBKAC errors though

Particle Physicist

2 Minutes Turkish said:

it's true, but i think if you have any applications that are 32-bit, they won't work. or something like that.

btkadams

does anybody know how i can record the voice on mac? i know that you can use terminal to read whatever you type by typing "say" and then whatever you want it to say. i would really like to record what it says. i have audio hijack pro but it won't hijack terminal. any ideas?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just picked up a new Macbook Pro 13'' and I love it.
e55324ef.jpg

It's a beauty. My first experience with a Mac computer. I have an iPhone, and it makes things a lot easier syncing with iCal and stuff. I love it so far.

Top Bottom