• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Burger

Banzaiaap said:
How can I make Mail work the same as the iPhone's mail app? And by that I mean, when I click on an unread mail on my iPhone to read it, it syncs the 'read' status of the email to gmail so it's displayed as read there too.

Mail just seems to create separate copies.. any way to do this?

Set up your account as an IMAP account, as opposed to a POP account.

Google Mail Help has details on how to do this.

Burger

Flying_Phoenix said:
I've recently downloaded a Nintendo 64 emulator called "sixtyforce". I realized that it was shit and tossed it into the Trash. However I can't delete it. It keeps saying that it's being used and its not, I even checked the activity monitor and I saw nothing unusual.

Try Option clicking Empty Trash.

Ashhong

Flying_Phoenix said:
I've recently downloaded a Nintendo 64 emulator called "sixtyforce". I realized that it was shit and tossed it into the Trash. However I can't delete it. It keeps saying that it's being used and its not, I even checked the activity monitor and I saw nothing unusual.

restart your computer if nothing else works

Captain Blood said:
Has anyone with the with the 9400m and the 9600m GT card had problems installing the drivers in Windows 7? When I try to install the drivers it says that nvidia can't recognize the hardware to support the drivers. I also can't seem to find them in the device manager. Has anyone else ran into this problem or know how to fix it?

Sorry to quote myself but the internets have yielded zero results and I foolishly bought KOTOR on steam before I realized I would have any problem with the drivers :(. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Oh shit it worked!

Thanks a lot!

Wow such a bad ass feature! :D

Hated when I got something stuck in the Recycling Bin on Windows.

No prob.

I have no idea about Windows.

It's funny - when I first got a Mac, I was clueless about a lot of the functions also. You just hear and read about them as you go.

StrikerObi said:
Re-tag all the files in that album from scratch. That usually fixes this kind of problem for me. Sometimes things like extra spaces find their way into tags so something like "The Beatles" and "The Beatles " (with an extra space at the end) will throw off the sorting/grouping.

iTunes' ability to sort/organize your music is pretty much entirely dependent on your ID3 tags. If they're fucked, iTunes will appear to be not working right. In fact it is working fine, it's just that the data it is working with is awful.

Dude it shouldn't be like that really. The ID3 tags were edited again and it still didn't work. iTunes was seeing one album under different artists rather than under the album name. So I said fuck it, what I'm going to do is just name the album artist as The Alchemist, and then put the featuring artist in the title. Sucks but eh'

I also bought The Missing Handbook of OS X. The shit is amazing, there is so much I didn't know about OS X and this is just in the first chapter. So many (some say too many) commands to use. So I decided to create a little blog, more for myself really to read, as there are so many things in the book to ready that I won't remember it all.

http://theapplelite.blogspot.com/

pj

Banned
How is everyone's macbook battery doing?

I have a 08 unibody mbp with 117 cycles and Battery Health Monitor says I'm at 102% capacity. Is that normal? I think it started at like 105%. How much longer do I have before it starts dropping off for reals?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to get software update to shut the fuck up about garageband updates? I don't give a shit and I want it to stop reminding me.

lexi

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
Hey Gaf, how do I check (to remove) the list of apps booting with OSX ?

I've just installed Skype and it's launching when booting...

4jvpdg.png

LCfiner

UnluckyKate said:

go to system preferences, click on your user name, then go to the tab called "login items" remove the stuff you don't want loading up at login

edit: beaten like a red headed stepchild

pj325is said:
How is everyone's macbook battery doing?

I have a 08 unibody mbp with 117 cycles and Battery Health Monitor says I'm at 102% capacity. Is that normal? I think it started at like 105%. How much longer do I have before it starts dropping off for reals?

Umm, shouldn't it have started at 100%?

Anyways I'm 142 cycles in, and have 94% health, it holds a 4hr charge when it's properly been allowed to be fully synced. I have a late 2008 uBMBP which was refurbished.

Have you synced and reset your SMC? As it might be giving you false readings/

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:
is there any way to get software update to shut the fuck up about garageband updates? I don't give a shit and I want it to stop reminding me.

Can't you highlight an update and ignore it? Under update menu, or just hit delete.

How do I change folder icons on the dock? You know the icons that go to the left side of the bar where the trash and documents are. I change them the conventional way but it doesn't work. I just want something more flashy than a blue folder. :(

Flying_Phoenix said:
How do I change folder icons on the dock? You know the icons that go to the left side of the bar where the trash and documents are. I change them the conventional way but it doesn't work. I just want something more flashy than a blue folder. :(

Assuming you've already changed the way they look somewhere else on your HD, drag the folders off of the dock and then drag the same folders from your User file back into the same spots. Usually works for me.

got my MBP and printer yesterday, fast shipping from apple, very happy so far...but I havent spent a lot of time with the MBP yet

so far i've customized the dock to magnify only slightly, and tried to move the mac hd to the desktop, but when i did it "poofed" and now I cant find the mac hd icon again lol

ok, so whats the best way to move my music files over to my mbp?

they are currently on a portable HDD, i plugged it in, and i can access it, but i figured there would be an import option to copy them over instead of just copying the folder and and pasting it in the iTunes directory

UnluckyKate said:
Thanks, I was just looking the wrong way...

Another thing is if it's in your dock you can right click it (Pretty sure it's called cmd click on mac...) and choose whether you want it to open at startup. You can do this with program I've tried it with in my dock.

Also, if any of you use iTunes watch the apple quick tips I think they're called that apple puts out if they haven't been mentioned yet. Some are kind of stupid and simple but others are really cool things I had no idea about like the easier way to look things up in the dictionary and the such. It's a neat little podcast that gets a new tip every 2 weeks or so I think.

EDIT:
GodfatherX said:
got my MBP and printer yesterday, fast shipping from apple, very happy so far...but I havent spent a lot of time with the MBP yet

so far i've customized the dock to magnify only slightly, and tried to move the mac hd to the desktop, but when i did it "poofed" and now I cant find the mac hd icon again lol

The mac hd thing on your desktop? Should be under computer no?

^^^Permissions? But yeah I decided to download candybar instead. Thanks for the help though everyone.

Oh and I fixed the broken link if anyone cares to see.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
^^^Permissions? But yeah I decided to download candybar instead. Thanks for the help though everyone.

Oh and I fixed the broken link if anyone cares to see.

In unix, every file and folder has permissions that basically determine who can Read, Write, or eXecute a file, be it root, administrator, or general user.

Often system files belong to the root or administrator. If you change these files as you (they will ask for a password), they will get written with permissions belonging to your user. Occasionally, the system will read the file and ignore them if they don't belong to the system, I suppose for security.

Repair permissions is a typical repair process that searches the database and the system for permissions that are incorrect and repair them. It's dubious how effective that is, but for certain things it's crucial. For example, when I was editing the kernel extensions to allow four finger gestures in 10.5, I would save the ext file with my admin name, and if I didn't repair the permissions, on boot, the file would not be loaded (meaning the trackpad was disabled :lol).

GodfatherX said:

Go Finder -> Preferences and re-check the hard drive icon.

mrkgoo said:
In unix, every file and folder has permissions that basically determine who can Read, Write, or eXecute a file, be it root, administrator, or general user.

Often system files belong to the root or administrator. If you change these files as you (they will ask for a password), they will get written with permissions belonging to your user. Occasionally, the system will read the file and ignore them if they don't belong to the system, I suppose for security.

Repair permissions is a typical repair process that searches the database and the system for permissions that are incorrect and repair them. It's dubious how effective that is, but for certain things it's crucial. For example, when I was editing the kernel extensions to allow four finger gestures in 10.5, I would save the ext file with my admin name, and if I didn't repair the permissions, on boot, the file would not be loaded (meaning the trackpad was disabled :lol).

Alright I figured it out thanks. Well the permission and sharing stuff anyway. Even with Candybar I can't change the dock folder icons because they aren't displayed. Oh well no big deal.

pj

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Umm, shouldn't it have started at 100%?

Anyways I'm 142 cycles in, and have 94% health, it holds a 4hr charge when it's properly been allowed to be fully synced. I have a late 2008 uBMBP which was refurbished.

Have you synced and reset your SMC? As it might be giving you false readings/

Well, 100% is 4600 mAh. I doubt many batteries start out with that exact capacity. I've completely drained my battery several times, and I just reset the SMC and it still says 102%

So I'm getting a Macbook Pro in the next few days
Woo!
and I gots a few questions. First off, I'm a graphic design major so I'm going to be using the Adobe Design CS4 suite. I heard that Photoshop doesn't play nice with Snow Leopard. Any truth to that? Also, since I'm a student, can I go into the Apple store and get a student discount? Do they even still have that? Thanks.

Love,
Jet Grind Radio!

edgefusion

Jet Grind Radio! said:
So I'm getting a Macbook Pro in the next few days
Woo!
and I gots a few questions. First off, I'm a graphic design major so I'm going to be using the Adobe Design CS4 suite. I heard that Photoshop doesn't play nice with Snow Leopard. Any truth to that? Also, since I'm a student, can I go into the Apple store and get a student discount? Do they even still have that? Thanks.

Love,
Jet Grind Radio!

If you want a student discount you have to get it online, you can't go to the Apple Store and get it and CS4 is working just fine on my installation of Snow Leopard.

LCfiner

edgefusion said:
If you want a student discount you have to get it online, you can't go to the Apple Store and get it and CS4 is working just fine on my installation of Snow Leopard.

um, that’s not true. he can go to his school computer store and buy it or he can show his ID card at an apple store. I know lots of people who’ve bought stuff with student discounts at the local apple store.

pj

Banned
LCfiner said:
um, that’s not true. he can go to his school computer store and buy it or he can show his ID card at an apple store. I know lots of people who’ve bought stuff with student discounts at the local apple store.

I forgot my student ID and they let me log in to my account on the school website on one of the computers in the store to prove that I was a student.

botkiller

I'm on my Macbook Pro running bootcamp and I can't figure out how to use print screen. I've read a few places that say Fn+F11 should work, but it doesn't. Any ideas?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
UnluckyKate said:

fyi, if you open up system preferences and type in search items in the top right corner, it will highlight where you will find it.

it's a pretty neat feature that has helped me out quite a bit.

mrkgoo

botkiller said:
I'm on my Macbook Pro running bootcamp and I can't figure out how to use print screen. I've read a few places that say Fn+F11 should work, but it doesn't. Any ideas?

edit:OOOOHHHH, Windows. I am cannot read.

Anyway it's always helpful, so:

in Mac OS X:

cmd+shift+3 = screen cap as png on Desktop
cmd+shift+4 = screen cap with selection as png on Desktop
cmd+shift+4, then space = window/frame cap as png on Desktop

Hold ctrl with above combinations to copy captures to the clipboard.

edgefusion said:

Wrong. I just bought my sister a mac with my student id a month ago in store.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Go Finder -> Preferences and re-check the hard drive icon.
thanks for this

so far I have got Adium, imported all my music to iTunes, set up Mail, synced my iPhone and iPod...anything else I should do ASAP to better my experience?

oh and I crashed Safari within 10 minutes, thinking of switching to Firefox, really wish Chrome was out for mac

edit: and you can get the student discount at the Apple store, took a friend there to get a mac about 6 months ago, all they asked for was for her to log into her student email, she didn't have her student id with her

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
GodfatherX said:
thanks for this

so far I have got Adium, imported all my music to iTunes, set up Mail, synced my iPhone and iPod...anything else I should do ASAP to better my experience?

oh and I crashed Safari within 10 minutes, thinking of switching to Firefox, really wish Chrome was out for mac

What the hell did Safari crash on? I've been using it since the beta and it's crashed like 5 times, ever. A few from Flash, and a few from what I think was a fucked up Glims install that made it go haywire.

Transmission for Torrents, KeyCue if you want some help learning commands and shortcuts, DropBox and QuickShareIt for quick file sharing, smcFanControl if you want to control your fans, BowTie/CoverSutra for extra iTunes control, set up your hot corners, Quicksilver for amazing... Hmm.

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
What the hell did Safari crash on? I've been using it since the beta and it's crashed like 5 times, ever. A few from Flash, and a few from what I think was a fucked up Glims install that made it go haywire.

Transmission for Torrents, KeyCue if you want some help learning commands and shortcuts, DropBox and QuickShareIt for quick file sharing, smcFanControl if you want to control your fans, BowTie/CoverSutra for extra iTunes control, set up your hot corners, Quicksilver for amazing... Hmm.

I'va had frequent crashes with iTunes 9 and Safari under Mac OS X 10.6. Safari is intermittent. ITunes is nearly guaranteed to crash at least once a day.

Google up iTunes 9 crashes - I'm not the only one.

Top Bottom