• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Is there any Adblock avaible for Safari ? Because Flash ads are killing my proc and my perfs, resulting my MBA to heat and to have poor performances. Damn stupid Flash animated, intrusive ads :(

UnluckyKate said:
Is there any Adblock avaible for Safari ? Because Flash ads are killing my proc and my perfs, resulting my MBA to heat and to have poor performances. Damn stupid Flash animated, intrusive ads :(

If you're still running Leopard or something earlier, yes. You can use Safari AdBlock. If you are running Snow Leopard, you'll have to wait until somebody figures out a way to get it working without the Input Manager hacks. Or you could just run Safari in 32-bit mode.

StrikerObi said:
If you're still running Leopard or something earlier, yes. You can use Safari AdBlock. If you are running Snow Leopard, you'll have to wait until somebody figures out a way to get it working without the Input Manager hacks. Or you could just run Safari in 32-bit mode.

Hum... So with Adblock working and Cooliris also working, it seems that I'll have to downgrade and run Safari in 32bit mode... Damn.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
UnluckyKate said:
http://glimmerblocker.org/

It's not a hack and will work with all web browsers.

My TrackPad's acting pretty unresponsive lately when I try highlighting things.

I haven't really done anything to it. Well come think of it I did use it with wet hands and at times cleaned it with water, but not enough to where it could seep through the cracks.

Should I just call Apple or is there a way to jolt up the trackpad?

Jasoco

Banned
StrikerObi said:
I didn't know that anybody actually kept Hardware Growler in their dock. It makes no sense for this app to run in the dock. Growl Safari, Growl Mail, and Growl Tunes all keep themselves from showing up in the dock. These are background processes. Yet Hardware Growler stays in the dock, and doesn't even have an easy option to keep it out. You have to go in and edit the plist file to keep it out.
I did that. And it runs in the background. I love having it run because it just tells me when something happens, but doesn't throw it in my fucking face like Windows does with those stupid balloons telling me what I already know... "YOU ARE NOW CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK BECAUSE YOU YOURSELF PLUGGED AN ETHERNET CORD INTO THE COMPUTER!" What. The. Fuck. Do I not know that? I use the Nano style because it's the smallest unobtrusive one there is. It slides down, sits for two seconds and goes away. Enough time to see it slide down, glance up and read and go back to what I was doing. This is how system notifications should be done on all OS'. Apple should buy Growl and implement it into every app. It's much more awesome than having a static dialog pop up with a message forcing you to click OK when it could easily just show you a non-modal panel with the same message. OS 9 did it. They had these dialogs back in OS 9. They popped up but didn't take focus away from anything and floated above the desktop so you could keep working and dismiss it when you were ready to. I missed those for years until Growl came along. I just wish it was built-in so Apple apps could use them without needing hacks and background apps to do it.

Anyways. Yeah, Hardware Growler is low on features, but it does work, and yes, it can be hidden from the Dock manually so it's no big deal. Still, it should have this option in the super minimal preferences panel (Which has one option) for hiding the icon, but still, it works well for what it does.

I wish Dragthing had an option to hide both the Dock icon AND the menu icon. Since I see DT as a utility that is part of the OS, and the menu has no functions that couldn't be done by way of a few system-wide hotkeys for DT Preferences and New Dock. I just hate having that icon up there not doing anything when every other icon I have up there has some functionality.

24l7as6.jpg

PTHPasteboard is a list of my copy/paste history.
Dragthing just does nothing up there. My Docks are accessible by way of hotkeys. But there's no reason to have the icon in the menubar, OR the Dock.
Adium is useful for the statuses.
FaceBook Notifications is new and useful for giving me all my updates in one place and using Growl to tell me about them without me having to reload the FB homepage all the time. (Becomes blue when there's updates)
Time Machine status.
Airport status.
Battery status.
Spotlight.

DT is just out of place up there for me. James Thompson doesn't seem to find it a good idea to hide the icon, I just wish he'd give us the option at least. Hell, I was able to hide Bowtie's Dock icon AND menu icon both and it still works fine. I can still access its Prefs by right-clicking. Maybe it's my OCD or something but it just bugs me having it up there.

Is there a good DVD ripper/encoder out there besides Handbrake? It doesn't work on my system. I think it's Snow Leopard since it's workin' on the Mac mini downstairs with the same version of HB and VLC. I really wanna start ripping episodes of the Simpsons for my phone.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Is there a good DVD ripper/encoder out there besides Handbrake? It doesn't work on my system. I think it's Snow Leopard since it's workin' on the Mac mini downstairs with the same version of HB and VLC. I really wanna start ripping episodes of the Simpsons for my phone.

You try reinstalling and stuff? Handbrake works fine for me on snow leopard.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
movie_club said:
whats the difference between the extensions .doc and .docx ?
.doc is the extension for up to Office 2003.
.docx has been adopted in '07/'08 versions of Office which include new fun things I imagine (I want to say it's now XML based or something?).

Either way, .docx is what '07 and '08 save files in natively unless otherwise specified.

I couldn't get into the "why" without researching, however.

Flying_Phoenix said:
My TrackPad's acting pretty unresponsive lately when I try highlighting things.

I haven't really done anything to it. Well come think of it I did use it with wet hands and at times cleaned it with water, but not enough to where it could seep through the cracks.

Should I just call Apple or is there a way to jolt up the trackpad?

Anybody?

EDIT - Is anyone else having similar issues because this could just be a software thing.

Fine I get it. Nobody wants to answer because it's a stupid question. I'm sorry for asking. :(

Well does anybody know of an online store that sells Macbook parts (so I can repair it myself)? I recall seeing one some time ago, but I can't find it.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Fine I get it. Nobody wants to answer because it's a stupid question. I'm sorry for asking. :(

Well does anybody know of an online store that sells Macbook parts (so I can repair it myself)? I recall seeing one some time ago, but I can't find it.
It's not a silly question. I've never heard of it before, so get apple to check it out. No need to be all mopey. I get tons of questions never answered. That simply means Boone is having the same issue.

I don't think dampness will do it. I've had mild wetness on my trackpad and been fine, but I have the old metal trackpad. Onece a friend use alcohol to clean his trackpad and it stopped wokin entirely, by started again after a while.

Ifixit sells parts.

mrkgoo said:
It's not a silly question. I've never heard of it before, so get apple to check it out. No need to be all mopey. I get tons of questions never answered. That simply means Boone is having the same issue.

I don't think dampness will do it. I've had mild wetness on my trackpad and been fine, but I have the old metal trackpad. Onece a friend use alcohol to clean his trackpad and it stopped wokin entirely, by started again after a while.

Ifixit sells parts.

Thanks.

But yeah I called Apple today and it turns out my 90 days warranty expired 10 days ago. :(

Actually putting two and two together my computer was acting weird before mostly because of it kept clicking and dragging things at its own will. Possibly I didn't have a virus but more so my trackpad was going haywire. That's probably what made it freeze too as my trackpad most likely was clicking and dragging constantly.

EDIT - It only seems like they sell the uppercase and not the trackpad.

Hey guys, based on your previous experiences how much would a trackpad repair/replacement from Apple cost? (I still have a year warranty on hardware)

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Thanks.

But yeah I called Apple today and it turns out my 90 days warranty expired 10 days ago. :(

Actually putting two and two together my computer was acting weird before mostly because of it kept clicking and dragging things at its own will. Possibly I didn't have a virus but more so my trackpad was going haywire. That's probably what made it freeze too as my trackpad most likely was clicking and dragging constantly.
Why the FUCK did you not get APP?

Phobophile said:
Why the FUCK did you not get APP?

Because this is the first time anything went wrong with any one of my computers.

I should have listend to Jasoco when I had the chance. :(

EDIT - I'm going to go to an Apple Store which is about 30 minutes or so away so they can look at my Macbook Pro to see what exactly is wrong with it.

Ok, so. I tried reinstalling Handbrake, and I keep getting a "No Valid Source" error. I only get that when I have VLC player installed. When I remove VLC from my applications folder, Handbrake sees the DVD and knows what it is. When installed, Handbrake gives me the error.

Blackhead

Redarse
Flying_Phoenix said:
Because this is the first time anything went wrong with any one of my computers.

I should have listend to Jasoco when I had the chance. :(

EDIT - I'm going to go to an Apple Store which is about 30 minutes or so away so they can look at my Macbook Pro to see what exactly is wrong with it.
They can't just replace the trackpad it seems they'll to have to remove the the whole front case. I hot quoted $300 and apparently that was the manager being nice to me because I complained that the problems only started when I got the laptop back from them for a repair of the CD Drive the previous week. I didn't take him up on the offer and have been managing by turning on tap to click and using Air Mouse. :/ can't wait to get a new computer.

dream

Flying_Phoenix said:

Bring it to a store if you can. You get 1 year of AppleCare (so you should have 9 months left).

Sean

Banned
Mad Hatter said:
Seconded! ClickToFlash is awesome. It even lets you watch h.264 Youtube videos instead of with flash.

Yep, I also recommend ClickToFlash. Not only will it prevent your browser from crashing, but it saves a significant amount of battery life if you're on a laptop. And of course it puts an end to those annoying Flash ads that either take over your screen or have annoying audio that plays automatically. Best of all it works in all apps that use WebKit, so something like NetNewsWire for example would benefit from it as well.

It's one of the first things I install.

Charred Greyface said:
They can't just replace the trackpad it seems they'll to have to remove the the whole front case. I hot quoted $300 and apparently that was the manager being nice to me because I complained that the problems only started when I got the laptop back from them for a repair of the CD Drive the previous week. I didn't take him up on the offer and have been managing by turning on tap to click and using Air Mouse. :/ can't wait to get a new computer.

Wat?! Well it'll probably be less because I have 1 year of Apple of Apple Care.

Jasoco

Banned
dream said:
Bring it to a store if you can. You get 1 year of AppleCare (so you should have 9 months left).
What this man said. The 90 days is phone support only. You have 1 whole year of real support in store to get it fixed. AND to buy AppleCare. If you only bought it 100 days ago, you still have time. Go buy it. Register it. Then get it checked out.

I lucked out. My fan problem and overheating went away. I reset the SMC (System Management Controller) and a few days later my fans returned to normal and the computer no longer shuts off if it gets too hot, i.e. when I try to run a Flash video, H.264, play a game, whatever. Which is good since I can't afford a new one right now anyway. Still, I should have gotten AppleCare. I've had this for over 2 years. If I got it, I would have a year left now. And you just know something else will go wrong. Let's hope I can afford a new computer by then. I'm itching for one of them newfangled unibody models.

The other day I shut down and tried to turn it on again. But it wouldn't turn on. I almost panicked until I thought to try resetting the SMC again. Took the battery out, unplugged the power so it was without any power supply at all, and pressed the power button for 10 seconds. (This resets the SMC) Then I plugged it all back in and it powered up. *phew* Dodged another bullet.

Jasoco said:
What this man said. The 90 days is phone support only. You have 1 whole year of real support in store to get it fixed. AND to buy AppleCare. If you only bought it 100 days ago, you still have time. Go buy it. Register it. Then get it checked out.

So I have 1 year to get real support to get it fixed without spending a fortune and buy AppleCare?

RubxQub

Flying_Phoenix said:
So I have 1 year to get real support to get it fixed without spending a fortune and buy AppleCare?
True story, and you can buy AppleCare within your 1 year window if I'm not mistaken to extend it if you wish.

RubxQub said:
True story, and you can buy AppleCare within your 1 year window if I'm not mistaken to extend it if you wish.

Thanks. Well I learned my lesson. Guess I'll buy Apple Protection Plan (whatever that is) when I get my next Mac in 3 years.

Blackhead

Redarse
Flying_Phoenix said:
Wat?! Well it'll probably be less because I have 1 year of Apple of Apple Care.
I'm still covered under Apple Care. The genius bar claimed my problems were due to user damage and wouldnt take care of it. *shrug* hope that's not your lot

Flying_Phoenix said:
Thanks. Now I know that you guys will probably just roll your eyes to what I'm about to say but I don't think I'll buy AppleCare. Because it's too expensive and I'm probably going to sell this Mac and buy a new one in the not too distant future by that time.
AppleCare is transferrable and adds to the resale value. Ot you could get insurance instead which is much better. At the very least be covered by something if you don't sell before the 1yr warranty is up.

Charred Greyface said:
I'm still covered under Apple Care. The genius bar claimed my problems were due to user damage and wouldnt take care of it. *shrug* hope that's not your lot

Oh I see. Well mine wasn't due to user damage at all. As I've said before the only thing I've done is use the trackpad with wet hands once in a while (you know like after you wash your hands and barely dry them off) so I highly doubt that would do anything. That's good, so it should be free or just really cheap for me?

Charred Greyface said:
AppleCare is transferrable and adds to the resale value. Ot you could get insurance instead which is much better. At the very least be covered by something if you don't sell before the 1yr warranty is up.

I see thanks.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Oh I see. Well mine wasn't due to user damage at all. As I've said before the only thing I've done is use the trackpad with wet hands once in a while (you know like after you wash your hands and barely dry them off) so I highly doubt that would do anything. That's good, so it should be free or just really cheap for me?

I see thanks.

It will be free, provided they don't think you screwed up the trackpad through negligence.

And you don't have to wait 3 years to get Apple care with a new mac. YOu can go out right now and buy applecare for your mac right now. Or you can wait until your first year and buy applecare - as long as you get it within your first year.

Hey guys, I was torrenting with Transmission but I switched to uTorrent for some reasons, but how do I get my torrents always opening in uTorrent instead of Transmission ? Where's the ' always open similar with ' as in XP ? Can't find it...

mrkgoo said:
It will be free, provided they don't think you screwed up the trackpad through negligence.

And you don't have to wait 3 years to get Apple care with a new mac. YOu can go out right now and buy applecare for your mac right now. Or you can wait until your first year and buy applecare - as long as you get it within your first year.

Wait wait hold on a second. Are you saying I have my Mac under warranty for one whole year? Holy Shit! Having a Mac keeps getting better and better for me. Apple's customer service is only matched by Nintendo's.

RubxQub

Flying_Phoenix said:
Wait wait hold on a second. Are you saying I have my Mac under warranty for one whole year? Holy Shit! Having a Mac keeps getting better and better for me. Apple's customer service is only matched by Nintendo's.
That's what I said before! :lol

Flying_Phoenix said:

Every computer company I've ever seen has a 1 yr warranty.....

Well I'm actually glad this has happened because this means that they'll replace my entire front and my keyboard is already getting dirty.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Oh I see. How foolish of me. :embarrassed face

It's just that I've always built my own computer up until now. So I've never had to do something like this before.

RubxQub

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Mostly true, but seeing as there are physical Apple Stores all around the country, it's much more convenient then dealing with support through e-mail or the phone, or having to mail out your equipment.

Since just about all hardware manufacturers depend on other retailers to sell their products and don't have their own physical stores (Sony is the only exception that I can think of off the top of my head), it's much easier to get the help you're looking for.

For quick and easy assistance, Apple Stores are awesome, but you would likely would have to mail out your equipment if it's a major hardware issue like the display or the logic board.

Can your local store mail out your equipment for you I wonder?

RubxQub said:
Mostly true, but seeing as there are physical Apple Stores all around the country, it's much more convenient then dealing with support through e-mail or the phone, or having to mail out your equipment.

Since just about all hardware manufacturers depend on other retailers to sell their products and don't have their own physical stores (Sony is the only exception that I can think of off the top of my head), it's much easier to get the help you're looking for.

For quick and easy assistance, Apple Stores are awesome, but you would likely would have to mail out your equipment if it's a major hardware issue like the display or the logic board.

Sure, it's definitely more convenient for a lot of people but he seemed shocked at having a warranty when almost anything you buy nowadays has at least a 1 year warranty. (Obviously there are exceptions)

RubxQub said:

Yeah, I've had absolute nightmare situations about mail to factory care.

And I have an Apple Store about 30 to 35 minutes from my college. Though at my house the closest one is an hour away. I'm just going to the Apple Store this weekend. Also don't I have to set up an appointment with a Mac Genius or do I just do a walk-in?

RubxQub

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah, I've had absolute nightmare situations about mail to factory care.

And I have an Apple Store about 30 to 35 minutes from my college. Though at my house the closest one is an hour away. I'm just going to the Apple Store this weekend. Also don't I have to set up an appointment with a Mac Genius or do I just do a walk-in?
You can just walk in, but it couldn't hurt to call ahead.

I've only ever walked in with issues in the past.

Top Bottom