• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Filasifer

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah, I've had absolute nightmare situations about mail to factory care.

And I have an Apple Store about 30 to 35 minutes from my college. Though at my house the closest one is an hour away. I'm just going to the Apple Store this weekend. Also don't I have to set up an appointment with a Mac Genius or do I just do a walk-in?

Their new system is pretty bullshit. My iPhone was bust and i couldn't make calls, so i went into an apple store as soon as i could and they didn't have an opening for three days. The people who were in front of me had stupid questions that could have been easily answered by going to their website, but took up 20minutes of a employees time. While my issue could have been resolved with a 5minute product swap.

Save yourself the time and just schedule an apt online.

So yeah I'm just going to set an appointment and walk in so they can replace the top of my Macbook.

Thanks a lot mrkgoo, Charred Greyface, dream, Jasoco, RubxQub, and Filasifer for all your help. :D

Another question.

In Pages whenever I press enter than tab to indent, I can no longer go back left to my previous state where I typed. Here's a picture so show what I'm talking about.

mm7x49.png

How do I go back to the previous side I was typing at (the side to the left)?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Saya said:
Does anyone know of a good program to record Skype conversations (preferably with video)?

Quicktime X? You can do an entire screen recording while you talk.

Google

Guys,

What's the best way to install a new hard drive into a macbook?

I've bought a new 2.5 SATA 500GB drive. Backed up my 120GB in my MacBook using Time Machine to the new 500GB.

Is it just a simple case of installing the hard drive in the machine, and turning it on? Or do I need to do something a little more exotic?

Lots of love,

Google.

kennah

You'll have to use your OS install disk (Leopard, Snow Leopard, whatever) and do a fresh install on the newly installed hard drive. When you're setting up, tell it you want to restore from a time machine backup. Let it do it's thing for a while, and poof, your computer will come back exactly the same, but with more space.

I have a hard drive dock that I plug the new drive into, use SuperDuper to clone to the new drive, then open up the MacBook and switch the drives. It takes a while to boot the first time, but after that it's like nothing's changed except there's a bigger number in Finder now.

Google

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I have a hard drive dock that I plug the new drive into, use SuperDuper to clone to the new drive, then open up the MacBook and switch the drives. It takes a while to boot the first time, but after that it's like nothing's changed except there's a bigger number in Finder now.

I have the same thing.

I've not used SuperDuper before - does the trial allow you to do what you've suggested? I dont feel like running a brand new install.

mrkgoo

Google said:
I have the same thing.

I've not used SuperDuper before - does the trial allow you to do what you've suggested? I dont feel like running a brand new install.
I thought the restore from time machine wasn't a new system either. I belive you just need to use the disc to boot and then restore from time machine without actually installing? Probabaly have to format the new drive, however.

Google

mrkgoo said:
I thought the restore from time machine wasn't a new system either. I belive you just need to use the disc to boot and then restore from time machine without actually installing? Probabaly have to format the new drive, however.

I'll have to format the new drive, even though I'm not doing a new install?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Another question.

In Pages whenever I press enter than tab to indent, I can no longer go back left to my previous state where I typed. Here's a picture so show what I'm talking about.

mm7x49.png

How do I go back to the previous side I was typing at (the side to the left)?

? Doesn't happen to me... You tried to shift+tab to go back on your indent? Are you just using the blank template or something else?

Google said:
I'll have to format the new drive, even though I'm not doing a new install?
Yes, if you're using Time Machine. It doesn't clone Mac OS. When installing from the OS disc, it'll ask if you want to use it to restore a Time Machine snapshot or something like that. So you install the OS and then it copies over your Time Machine information.

It's just as good as a clone, but it's not as easy as just swapping drives.

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yes, if you're using Time Machine. It doesn't clone Mac OS. When installing from the OS disc, it'll ask if you want to use it to restore a Time Machine snapshot or something like that. So you install the OS and then it copies over your Time Machine information.

It's just as good as a clone, but it's not as easy as just swapping drives.
Does super duper take care of the partioning type and formatting too?

Google

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why not just use time machine...?

Because it seems that using SuperDuper will allow me to just copy the contents of my existing drive, and just slot the new drive in without any hassles in between.

Google

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It doesn't take long though... It's not a hassle at all. It pretty much does it for you... Is installing an OS that stressful?

My friend, I would rather not install an OS if I can help it. Especially when all I'm looking to do is replicate the files on a drive to a new one.

Google said:
My friend, I would rather not install an OS if I can help it. Especially when all I'm looking to do is replicate the files on a drive to a new one.

Ok, I don't understand but ok. I wasn't trying to fight I just didn't understand.

I got a quick question about the Macbook Pro.
Is there any combination of keys to make it so the delete key does the normal delete option and not backspace?

White Man

Two questions:

1) I see that they released a trial of Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac. It must have happened sometime over the past 2 days, since I was looking for one as of Sunday night. Has anyone tried it yet. And how is Photoshop Elements in general? If it offers a good bit of Photoshop's power while providing an interface you don't need to be a pro use, I'm all over that.

I'm at work for the next few hours, so I probably won't nab it until tonight or tomorrow.

2) I must have mashed my hands against the keyboard while browsing with Safari--alt text for images no longer appears when I hover the pointer over them. I must have inadvertantly hit some sort of hotkey that disabled the text or something. Does anyone know how I can get things back to normal?

Thanks!

EDIT: I might be misremembering, but I think delete is function key + backspace.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
BruceLeeRoy said:
I got a quick question about the Macbook Pro.
Is there any combination of keys to make it so the delete key does the normal delete option and not backspace?

fn+delete should do it.

fireside

White Man said:
Two questions:

1) I see that they released a trial of Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac. It must have happened sometime over the past 2 days, since I was looking for one as of Sunday night. Has anyone tried it yet. And how is Photoshop Elements in general? If it offers a good bit of Photoshop's power while providing an interface you don't need to be a pro use, I'm all over that.

I'm at work for the next few hours, so I probably won't nab it until tonight or tomorrow.
I don't use Photoshop Elements but it's Adobe so I'm guessing it's going to be exactly like Photoshop only half the things removed.

But if you want just a basic image editor, there are some good ones made by indie developers, like Acorn & Pixelmator that were built from the ground up just for OS X and designed for the average user. There's others, too, but those are the big ones I'm aware of. I bet they'd be a lot easier and better to use (cheaper, too).

White Man

I have Pixelmator and Acorn. Paid for the full versions, too. I got them in September, mainly because I didn't think the next version of Photoshop Elements would ship until early next year, heh.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
? Doesn't happen to me... You tried to shift+tab to go back on your indent? Are you just using the blank template or something else?

Tried that and it didn't work. And it's a regular blank template

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Saya said:
I should have mentioned I don't have Snow Leopard, just Leopard. But thanks, I will look into that Audio Hijack Pro program.

I don't know any free options, then. I used a Screenflow trial and that was pretty awesome, but I couldn't take the plunge on it, especially when Snow Leopard announced it had it built in. Definitely higher quality, though.

Saya

SnakeXs said:
I don't know any free options, then. I used a Screenflow trial and that was pretty awesome, but I couldn't take the plunge on it, especially when Snow Leopard announced it had it built in. Definitely higher quality, though.

I see. Maybe I should upgrade to Snow Leopard soon. I'm not really concerned about the quality, as long as it is listenable. I need to record some long distance Skype meetings, and as long as the audio is clear and the video watchable. It's all fine with me.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Tried that and it didn't work. And it's a regular blank template

So you indent, type, and then when you hit enter it doesn't go to the left it stays where the indent is? If that's the case I'm not sure since I can't get pages to mess up like that on me.

Smiles and Cries said:
how do you use this snow leapard feature ^^^

and does anyone know what the benefit of more ram is? Is it worth it to max my nacbook to 4 GB?

Depending on what you do it will bog down less and less pinwheels when doing things like switching programs and the like.

dream

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah, I've had absolute nightmare situations about mail to factory care.

And I have an Apple Store about 30 to 35 minutes from my college. Though at my house the closest one is an hour away. I'm just going to the Apple Store this weekend. Also don't I have to set up an appointment with a Mac Genius or do I just do a walk-in?

Schedule an appointment online. It's painless and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how efficient the whole system is when you get to the store (they have a screen up behind the Genius Bar with the next 5 appointments and the ETA for each).

I can't imagine you having to pay anything out of pocket for having your faulty trackpad repaired.

dream

Smiles and Cries said:
and does anyone know what the benefit of more ram is? Is it worth it to max my nacbook to 4 GB?

Remember when 512MB of RAM was standard but you were much more comfortable with 1GB? And later on when 1GB was standard but you had a lot more breathing room with 2GB? It's pretty much the same thing. You can get by with 2GB of ram but you'd be a lot happier with 4. Everything is just much snappier since there's less paging for the system to do.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RubxQub said:
Mostly true, but seeing as there are physical Apple Stores all around the country, it's much more convenient then dealing with support through e-mail or the phone, or having to mail out your equipment.
I actually wish that Apple care had an email, since my Apple Care just ran out last month I have no more phone support. Carrying my iMac to my nearest Apple store is a complete hassle especially to only get seen for 10 minutes and then drag it back home all over again. Since it's in Regent Street London I have to rely on buses. I now have to plan out when to go there since they still need to sort out this DVD issue I have since their suggestion of upgrading to Snow Leopard didn't work. Thank goodness they gave me 90 days extra cover.

On an unrelated note can anyone recommend a good place to buy RAM in the UK?

No one answered my Handbrake question. :( I'll just go to the official forums then.

I do have a MobileMe question. How can I sync my phone's Calendar with iCal? When I publish, it doesn't show up on my phone. Also how do I get Notes to sync as well?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So you indent, type, and then when you hit enter it doesn't go to the left it stays where the indent is? If that's the case I'm not sure since I can't get pages to mess up like that on me.

Yeah more or less that's what's going on. I can just ask when I go to the Genius Bar.

dream said:
Schedule an appointment online. It's painless and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how efficient the whole system is when you get to the store (they have a screen up behind the Genius Bar with the next 5 appointments and the ETA for each).

I can't imagine you having to pay anything out of pocket for having your faulty trackpad repaired.

Thanks for the info.

I just wish that they had another store so close. If it wasn't for me living in my dorms than I'd have to drive an hour away. :( Than again my brother will have to since he has to leave from my old house.

BothBarsOn said:
Yeah, Crucial are great. Apple's own RAM prices are hysterical.

It's cheaper on Apple's site to upgrade to 4GB (on a MBP), well at least with me because I get a $10 student discount.

Crucial it costs $91.

While at Apple's store its $90. Yes I know $1 difference but even with the extra $10 added I wouldn't call the price difference "hysterical".

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah more or less that's what's going on. I can just ask when I go to the Genius Bar.

Thanks for the info.

I just wish that they had another store so close. If it wasn't for me living in my dorms than I'd have to drive an hour away. :( Than again my brother will have to since he has to leave from my old house.

It's cheaper on Apple's site to upgrade to 4GB (on a MBP), well at least with me because I get a $10 student discount.

Crucial it costs $91.

While at Apple's store its $90. Yes I know $1 difference but even with the extra $10 added I wouldn't call the price difference "hysterical".

It's not going to be hysterical if you buy overpriced ram from the company directly, if you go to newegg or any other company, it's around $75 to upgrade which is around a $20 savings. Don't go to crucial directly.

Top Bottom