• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's not going to be hysterical if you buy overpriced ram from the company directly, if you go to newegg or any other company, it's around $75 to upgrade which is around a $20 savings. Don't go to crucial directly.

Oh I see. Sorry about that.

mrkgoo

White Man said:
I have Pixelmator and Acorn. Paid for the full versions, too. I got them in September, mainly because I didn't think the next version of Photoshop Elements would ship until early next year, heh.

So you did get both! I'm still waiting for when I need them. Kinda leaning towards Pixelmator. Just seems a bit more forward thinking. Photoshop Elements seems nice too, though isn't it more of a photo editor, rather than a pixel editor?

Any more impressions of acorn vs. pixelmator?

jbbb

I'm having this HUGE problem and I hope someone can help me.

I have a macbook and bought Snow Leopard. During its installation we had a blackout in my neighborhood, and my macbook was not charged... - I was sleeping.
When I woke up in the morning and tried to boot my macbook I got a gray screen and a folder icon with a "?" on it blinking.

I've tried to boot it from the DVD holding "C" from the SL DVD, and even from the Leopard DVD, I can listen to some noises but it eventually just ejects the DVDs.

Any suggestion?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
jbbb said:
I'm having this HUGE problem and I hope someone can help me.

I have a macbook and bought Snow Leopard. During its installation we had a blackout in my neighborhood, and my macbook was not charged... - I was sleeping.
When I woke up in the morning and tried to boot my macbook I got a gray screen and a folder icon with a "?" on it blinking.

I've tried to boot it from the DVD holding "C" from the SL DVD, and even from the Leopard DVD, I can listen to some noises but it eventually just ejects the DVDs.

Any suggestion?
Try holding D instead.

Ignignort

Holding down option when you startup should give you a bootup list and your snow leopard disc should be there allowing you to re-install.

This method is also used to select between windows/mac if you have bootcamp

Burger

Do you use your DVD drive often ?

Many people are complaining that SL broke their optical drive, but for most users, the only time they have recently used their optical drive is when they went to instal SL and found out it wouldn't read the disc.

How old is your Macbook ?

jbbb

Not at all Burger. I can't even remember the last time I've used it.
My Macbook is almost 3 years old.

@ Ignignort holding the option key won't do anything...

hoverX

Ok, so i'm gonna buy a macbook pro. i want to wait until the new models come out though. macrumors says it will be around 80 days until an upgrade. Speculations welcome!

Jasoco

Banned
hoverX said:
Ok, so i'm gonna buy a macbook pro. i want to wait until the new models come out though. macrumors says it will be around 80 days until an upgrade. Speculations welcome!
Who knows. No redesign I bet. Just faster processors. Maybe more RAM standard. Maybe not. Maybe higher resolutions. Maybe not. I wish though.

mrkgoo

hoverX said:

February is often a good time for updates, so probably then. I'm hoping for Blu-ray.

hoverX said:

Core i7 Mobile Processors, Blu-Ray, Price Drops, and Tablet imminent!

God I hate Macrumors sometimes.

EDIT - Wait I thought they were getting refreshed this month?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Guys just got a Macbook pro, total PC guy up until now and I need some help.

I need free or cheap programs for a Photoshop alternative and a FTP Program.

Ideas?

VOOK said:

Ideas?

For the love of god get Pixelmator. $59 and does everything you would ever need a $700 copy of Photoshop for. Plus I think there is usually a coupon to lower the price. "SMOKINGAPPLES" will knock off $11.80 brining it down to $47.20. http://pixelmator.com

As for FTP, CyberDuck is free and good. http://cyberduck.ch/

Boonoo

Any good print to pdf utilities? I'd like my students to turn their essays in as pdfs, and I don't know what to advise my mac using students to use.

Mar

VOOK said:

Ideas?

Yeah, GIMP is free and has as much functionality as photoshop. Just does things a bit differently and the window focusing is a bit funny under OSX. But otherwise, I mean... It's free.

FTP? I open a terminal and type ftp. I understand lots of other people need a GUI implementation though. Can't help you there.

I see in this thread people saying there's a mini update coming this month? That would be cool. I'm currently trying to convince my boss to buy me one but he doesn't like the price. Hopefully there's a nice price drop.

Edit: Oh, and VOOK! Welcome to the fold.

pj

Banned
Boonoo said:
Any good print to pdf utilities? I'd like my students to turn their essays in as pdfs, and I don't know what to advise my mac using students to use.

Go to the print dialog and click the PDF button->save as pdf

Dont need to dl anything

Boonoo

pj325is said:
Go to the print dialog and click the PDF button->save as pdf

Dont need to dl anything

Oh ho! Nice. I'll be sure to tell them.

Flying_Phoenix said:
What's wrong with "Preview"?

I'm not sure. Truth be told I've never used a mac in my life, so I was at a loss when my mac students wanted to know how to do it.

the-iek

I received my MBP on tuesday. Ordered exactly one week earlier and one week for bank transfer and shipping seemed good compared to some other stories I've heard of European customers.

So far, I am really glad having bought the machine. Great quality, although the lower right corner is a little shaky.

Boonoo said:
I'm not sure. Truth be told I've never used a mac in my life, so I was at a loss when my mac students wanted to know how to do it.

Macs come with their own PDF opener called "Preview". Don't be fooled by it's generic name it's pretty good and personally I far prefer to Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

GodfatherX said:
best utility for rar files?

RAR Expander

VOOK

Pixelmater and Cyberduck it is.

I have had a Mac Mini for the last 6 months or so but only use it for my iPhone syncing but yeah first Mac I'll use for Work since my Apple IIse :D

Alright what about a good text editor for PHP,CSS files?

I don't know if Snow Leopard is doing this or my ISP but I lose connection to the Wireless network in this building run by some cheap service provider called Spot On. Years ago on my old powerbook if I lost connection a simple turn OFF Airport and turn ON airport again would fix the connection and I am back online

Now I can turn it ON and OFF until I am blue in the face and nothing but red no connection to the wireless network... I have to RESTART the macbook and that fixes the connection automatically like my old trick use to until it drops again in a few hours

so each day I have to restart my macbook about 4 to 5 times. Turning Airport on and off is an easy click I could deal with that but waiting for OS X to reboot 5 times per day sucks ass.

Connection is even lost when I put the macbook to sleep (folding the laptop closed) when I open it I have to restart to be online.

Is this a finder issue?

I wonder if anyone knows a fix for this?

help please

This may not be the most on-topic question on here but has anybody else noticed that since getting a Mac "Mac Fever" has seem to be running in through your family and/or friends.

For example since getting a Macbook Pro my sister came and visited my house and she was VERY impressed with it. This was about 2 months or so. Fast forward to now her old laptop has recently broke, and now she is dead set on getting a Mac, a Macbook Pro to be exact. I don't know what it is, when she tried my Macbook just just fell in love with it.

Another example is with my brother. He very recently came back home for this semester and saw my Macbook. He fell in love with it and said that the only thing stopping him was the price. He did say however that if he ever had the money he'd definitely get one and when he sees me using my Mac he often says stuff like "ugh I want a Mac so bad!"

So yeah since geting a Macbook Pro I have my sister who's going to be a switcher (which is weird as shit because she's someone who usually shops at the cheap side) and my brother who's thinking about it, he would if he had the finances.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Ashhong

its 100% the design of the aluminum MBP me thinks. they are just too good looking to not fall in love with. i cant see how anybody could fall in love with the OS within 5 minutes, but i could see someone loving the design instantly.

mrkgoo

OMG, loll @ Lcfiner and SnakeXS Re: rare program choice responses.

VOOK: Oneofusoneofusoneofus...

StrikerObi: Wow at the pixelmator code....I'll have to remember that. I might just bite.

Flying_Phoenix said:
This may not be the most on-topic question on here but has anybody else noticed that since getting a Mac "Mac Fever" has seem to be running in through your family and/or friends.

For example since getting a Macbook Pro my sister came and visited my house and she was VERY impressed with it. This was about 2 months or so. Fast forward to now her old laptop has recently broke, and now she is dead set on getting a Mac, a Macbook Pro to be exact. I don't know what it is, when she tried my Macbook just just fell in love with it.

Another example is with my brother. He very recently came back home for this semester and saw my Macbook. He fell in love with it and said that the only thing stopping him was the price. He did say however that if he ever had the money he'd definitely get one and when he sees me using my Mac he often says stuff like "ugh I want a Mac so bad!"

So yeah since geting a Macbook Pro I have my sister who's going to be a switcher (which is weird as shit because she's someone who usually shops at the cheap side) and my brother who's thinking about it, he would if he had the finances.

A friend I met in my old lab while I was student is a Mac geek. Convinced me to get one in 2005. Between him and me, we convinced at least 7 more people to get MacBooks as their next macs. Now probably around 50% of the computers in the workplace are macs. Also convinced my brother and girlfriend that Mac was the right choice. Not sure how much of it was proactive on our parts, though.

Ashhong said:
its 100% the design of the aluminum MBP me thinks. they are just too good looking to not fall in love with. i cant see how anybody could fall in love with the OS within 5 minutes, but i could see someone loving the design instantly.

Yes they comment on the design but they use the OS for quite some time and they absolutely seem to love it.

Oh and they were very surprised about the touchpad.

mrkgoo said:
A friend I met in my old lab while I was student is a Mac geek. Convinced me to get one in 2005. Between him and me, we convinced at least 7 more people to get MacBooks as their next macs. Now probably around 50% of the computers in the workplace are macs. Also convinced my brother and girlfriend that Mac was the right choice. Not sure how much of it was proactive on our parts, though.

Yeah that's how I kinda got one. I had two friends in my last college who had Macs and just LOVED them. They always talked about how they'd never go back to PC's and whatnot so that intrigued my interest.

VOOK said:
:lol What

You're officially part of "Mac-Gaf" now. Mrkgoo is the official leader.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Flying_Phoenix said:

Flying_Phoenix said:

Edit: I'm half asleep. Shit was jumbled together in my head. I'll reword it.

My sister in law, myself, and my wife all used to be Mac haters. My wife and I changed our tune about three years ago, but my sister in law held that belief up until the end of last year. Her ex-boyfriend needed a laptop, and ended up getting a Macbook Pro from his parents... she shut up quick after that and now wants us to sell her our Macbook when we're done with it. LOL Classic stuff.

Alfarif

mrkgoo said:
OMG, loll @ Lcfiner and SnakeXS Re: rare program choice responses.

VOOK: Oneofusoneofusoneofus...

StrikerObi: Wow at the pixelmator code....I'll have to remember that. I might just bite.

Get the code. Seriously. Not only is Pixelmator an awesome program, but they have tutorials that show you how to do some very high end graphics work. It's some of the best money I've ever spent on a graphics program, hands down.

Alfarif said:
Edit: I'm half asleep. Shit was jumbled together in my head. I'll reword it.

My sister in law, myself, and my wife all used to be Mac haters. My wife and I changed our tune about three years ago, but my sister in law held that belief up until the end of last year. Her ex-boyfriend needed a laptop, and ended up getting a Macbook Pro from his parents... she shut up quick after that and now wants us to sell her our Macbook when we're done with it. LOL Classic stuff.

It's fine.

But yeah it's funny stuff.

EDIT - You're half asleep? It's nearly 4am in the morning here!

As someone who last owned a mac back in 95 (lol) and having my iPhone for 1 week, well I am in love! While I will always use the pc for gaming I really am thinking of getting a mac for my next laptop :)

Alfarif

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's fine.

But yeah it's funny stuff.

EDIT - You're half asleep? It's nearly 4am in the morning here!

Yeah... I'm at work and I got a total of 4 hours of sleep yesterday thanksto people calling my iPhone every 2 seconds about a picture of some dogs with buck teeth I took a picture of off of GAF. Ugh.

LovingSteam said:
As someone who last owned a mac back in 95 (lol) and having my iPhone for 1 week, well I am in love! While I will always use the pc for gaming I really am thinking of getting a mac for my next laptop :)

As a Mac user for two years, the ONLY reason I would ever buy a computer that was non-Apple related again is because the PC games I want to play simply won't run on the hardware I own and I need it so bad right that second taht I'm willing to buy a $299 computer and see if I can put a better graphics card in it.

But since the only computer game I currently play is World of Warcraft, and the latest iMacs can run games at a very nice clip, I'll stick with the OS that's helped me become far more productive than I ever was under any Windows OS.

VOOK

Flying_Phoenix said:
You're officially part of "Mac-Gaf" now. Mrkgoo is the official leader.

:lol Alrighty, I've had one for a while - just didn't tell anyone :p

But my first NEW one

Burai

shitonmychest57
VOOK said:
Pixelmater and Cyberduck it is.

I have had a Mac Mini for the last 6 months or so but only use it for my iPhone syncing but yeah first Mac I'll use for Work since my Apple IIse :D

Alright what about a good text editor for PHP,CSS files?

CSS, you want CSS Edit. It's brilliant. One of the reasons I could never go back to Windows.

For PHP, I use Coda which is a real hardcore code editor that supports pretty much every web language you can think of. There's also Espresso by the CSS Edit people, but... well, I just don't like it as much as Coda. Coda is far more mature and it's easier to keep track of an entire project. YMMV.

bionic77

Flying_Phoenix said:

I bought my MBP back in early 2006 and when my wife thought I was crazy to spend 2 grand on a laptop when I could get a Dell Laptop for a few hundred. Fast forward to today and my wife uses the Mac more than me and her Dell POS sits in the corner unused.

Not saying that Macs are for everyone, but for a lot of people the OS is just more enjoyable to use, not to mention the quality of their laptops. Every other laptop I use feels like a POS compared to a Macbook Pro.

Jasoco

Banned
Speaking of "Mac Fever". My sister just bought her MacBook Pro to replace her Dell desktop from 2 years ago. She loves it. And decided to go all full laptop instead of getting the Netbook I mentioned a few weeks ago. I'm happy. She's happy. My brother is also saving up to get one. And my girlfriend is a Mac user as is her father. Just a few years ago I was the only Mac user in a sea of PC users who had no interest in Macs. It's amazing. Now all I have to do is get my dad to switch, but he doesn't seem to be interested as he's happy with his Vista tablet convertible.

It's a good time to be a Mac user.

Top Bottom